• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

6th Generation Announced! Hopes? Fears?

Elveman

My biggest hope:
Random Matchup Singles 6v6, lv 100s (auto-level) or lv 50s (auto-level down)
Some small hopes:
More new dual-types
Good physical sweeper with Water Absorb or one more good sweeper with Dry Skin.
More moths (dance, quiver, dance)
Fears: Normal/Ghost type (immunity to ghost and fighting)

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Eviolite Shuckle will be toooooo broken
Shuckle can't afford to give up his Leftovers, and Eviolite Shuckle would still be set-up bait. No, it'll take Seismic Toss and reliable recovery to ever let Shuckle leave NU.

BurningWhiteKyurem

Hopes:
1. They will create more broken pokes with insane abilities such as Sand rush Exca, Speed Boost Blaziken, Multiscale D-nite, Tech Loom & etc.
2. Sword Dance will only boost "Slashing" type moves <- I know its sounds dumb, but it makes perfect sense if it work that way.

1. Too unhealthy for an already unstable metagame. I mean we have a lot of high octane offensive pokemon, maybe balance it out by adding more defensive oriented Pokemon. At the very least though, some Pokemon really do need to get buffed (Levitate Magnezone, I'm looking at you).

2. That has to be the worst and most uninspiring nerf I've ever heard. Look at the game's description of Swords Dance: "A frenetic dance to uplift the fighting spirit. It sharply raises the user’s Attack stat." Just because something has the name Sword in it doesn't mean that it's strictly designed for attacks pertaining to Swords or Sword action. Plus you'd set the standard for boosting moves, what's next, a Calm Mind that only affects Mind-oriented attacks? Nasty Plot exclusive to naughty attacks? Swords Dance is fine as is and the game makes it very clear that it's a dance that uplifts fighting spirit, not exclusive to sword moves.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Hopes; A defensive ghost steel type with good stats.

Fears; they never release this for ds lite or the block ds. Seriously I am NOT buying a 3ds just to play a Pokemon game. Chances are this will only be 3ds but still

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Hopes; A defensive ghost steel type with good stats.

Fears; they never release this for ds lite or the block ds. Seriously I am NOT buying a 3ds just to play a Pokemon game. Chances are this will only be 3ds but still

What do you expect from a dying system? :/

Zachmac

I want to see the ice type get a buff or two, like a resistance to water or something.

I also want to see more moves with interesting mechanics.

Big Beluga

u r a fatty
some competitive things i would like to see...

• an influx in better defensive mons, not just in terms of defensive stats, but more widespread recovery moves and possibly some faster defensive pokemon in order to keep up with the over-powered offensive threats all over the place.

• a new type - i think it's about time, seeing as the last time a new type was released was gen 2, and instead of making weather more prominent, a new type could serve in its place to sort of shake up the metagame in a different way. i think it also would make sense seeing as the supposed emphasis on genetics (x and y) could maybe make a mad-made typing a real possibility.

• i definitely feel as though some older mons deserve an evolution, and with bw not giving rise to many, i think we're due.

• i think i speak for everyone when i say that the spinning / blocking side of battling needs some upgrades. forretress and starmie have been the premier spinners for a crazy amount of time, and i think it's fair to say that they are slowly becoming obsolete, so some new, more practical spinners would be appreciated. as for spin blockers, gengar has never been that great, and now with rotom losing it's ghost typing, we're basically left with jellicent, who can't do it alone, so some better ghosts would also help.

i'll post more if i think of anything.

AnakBaé

That has to be the worst and most uninspiring nerf I've ever heard. Look at the game's description of Swords Dance: "A frenetic dance to uplift the fighting spirit. It sharply raises the user’s Attack stat." Just because something has the name Sword in it doesn't mean that it's strictly designed for attacks pertaining to Swords or Sword action. Plus you'd set the standard for boosting moves, what's next, a Calm Mind that only affects Mind-oriented attacks? Nasty Plot exclusive to naughty attacks? Swords Dance is fine as is and the game makes it very clear that it's a dance that uplifts fighting spirit, not exclusive to sword moves.

1.) Well Sir if you take a look at the distribution of move "Sword Dance" the pokemon who gets the move consists of pokes who has big claws/sharp edges such as Scizor, Terrakion, Haxorus, Weavile, Virizion, Garchomp, Pinsir, Marowak, or Zangoose. So the reason that they get SD is to increase the power of their cutting ability and expand the size of their weapon/claw/horn/spike.
For example, do Machamp/Medicham/Hariyama or learn Sword dance? No. Why not? its about "uplifting the fighting spirit" right? Nope, because they is designed to battle raw strength/else meaning that Sword dance is irrelevant for them.

2.) Take a look at this links of pictures i found in Wikipedia and tell me which part of em is receiving the effect of "Sword Dance":

3.) So I think its safe for me to say that "Sword Dance only increasing cutting move might be non bebenficial but still make perfect sense and possible"

gg

Klaus™

Banned
My worst fear is that they're going to have a bad storyline/characters.

I have other things to fear, but this is the one that worries me the most. Please GF...please let X/Y have a good story...please....

They've slowly gotten better at that throughout the series.

1st gen- seemed to me almost no story plot, other than trying to maneuver into saffron and going from there.

2nd gen- slightly better, but still bad storylines. great exploration though.

3rd gen-best gen ever, hands down. better plot, with emerald getting involved

4th gen- so much better, incorporating the legends much better.

black/white- arguably best plot.

b/w2- pretty good plotline, requiring side missions and stuff.

Manna

Rockin' the Suburbs
They've slowly gotten better at that throughout the series.

1st gen- seemed to me almost no story plot, other than trying to maneuver into saffron and going from there.

2nd gen- slightly better, but still bad storylines. great exploration though.

3rd gen-best gen ever, hands down. better plot, with emerald getting involved

4th gen- so much better, incorporating the legends much better.

black/white- arguably best plot.

b/w2- pretty good plotline, requiring side missions and stuff.

Yes, but I fear that they will regress and not progress. >.> They've been getting better, but I could totally see them not caring about the story much and spending more time on other things.

725roy

ambivolent
I genuinely fear that the metagame will collapse, that being said, I'm debating whether or not I should write about WHY it will collapse. The problem is that simply too many things overpower everything else, and by doing so, leaves virtually no chance for other. Things to succeed. That and Pokemon Showdown is going to have a hell of a time doing the new battling. XD

3.) So I think its safe for me to say that "Sword Dance only increasing cutting move might be non bebenficial but still make perfect sense and possible"

Not really, no. You mentioned a bunch of Pokemon that learn Swords Dance with scythes, weapons, or whatever, but what you didn't mention were Pokemon like Shroomish, Raticate, Exeggcute, Riolu, Chimchar, Cherubi, and Lickitung, who have little to nothing on their designs to suggest any sort of blades. In fact, I'm not aware that Exeggcute even gets any cutting-related moves. You're also taking visual evidence from the anime, which has nothing to do with the games. The in-game description does say that the user raises the fighting spirit. That's not referring to Fighting-types, so it's not surprising that many Fighting types don't learn it.

Besides that, I don't see any reason to change Swords Dance to something so restrictive besides flavor, which isn't a good enough reason.

BurningWhiteKyurem

1.) Well Sir if you take a look at the distribution of move "Sword Dance" the pokemon who gets the move consists of pokes who has big claws/sharp edges such as Scizor, Terrakion, Haxorus, Weavile, Virizion, Garchomp, Pinsir, Marowak, or Zangoose. So the reason that they get SD is to increase the power of their cutting ability and expand the size of their weapon/claw/horn/spike.
For example, do Machamp/Medicham/Hariyama or learn Sword dance? No. Why not? its about "uplifting the fighting spirit" right? Nope, because they is designed to battle raw strength/else meaning that Sword dance is irrelevant for them.

2.) Take a look at this links of pictures i found in Wikipedia and tell me which part of em is receiving the effect of "Sword Dance":

gg

1) First of all I think you need to look at the distribution of Swords Dance again:

- Mew
- Chikorita, Bayleef, Meganium
- Riolu
- Sunflora
- Ledyba, Ledian
- Gloom, Vileplume, Bellosom
- Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff
- Tangela, Tangrowth
- Lickitung, Lickilicky
- Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo
- Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry
- Celebi
- Arceus

Please tell me how it is that these Pokemon are able to learn Swords Dance without having big claws, weapons, or sharp edges.

Again, the game says that Swords Dance is "A frenetic dance to uplift the fighting spirit. It sharply raises the user’s Attack stat." It never even suggests that it's a dance that ONLY increases the size of their claws or whatever weapon that the Pokemon has. As for Spirit, Fighting Spirit can mean a Pokemon’s raw strength or Fighting Potential. But not weapons since the TM doesn’t specifically state that it’s for weapons.

Secondly where did you get the idea that 'fighting spirit' is SOLELY for fighting types? That's a huge logical fail to say that fighting types don't get swords dance therefore swords dance users are users with weapons, because Riolu is a fighting type that doesn’t have a visible weapon yet it still learns Swords Dance, Breloom is also another fighting type that learns SD and doesn't have scythes, etc.

2) Wow, so clearly the anime follows the continuity of the Pokemon games right? (Hint: they both have different canons). Also if you want to argue anime, you managed to overlook this: Consider that Farfetch’d has a leek that it sometime uses as a weapon, but wait…take a look at this photo and the description of Farfetch’d’s use of Swords dance: “Farfetch'd flies into the air and spins rapidly.” But wait…? Quelle Surprise!!! Farfetch’d using SD doesn’t even increase its leek’s thickness or turn blue like the other examples you used…what gives?

Farfetch%27d_Swords_Dance.png

3) No, it's a ridiculously unnecessary restriction that's going to result in almost no usage at all. Who's going to use SD with Cut when Cut/Slash has crappy power and crappy coverage. You also make the distribution list a whole lot smaller in terms of who can actually and viably run your “balanced” SD in a competition. It also makes no sense, I don’t know how you overlook the “Fighting Spirit” part and just incorrectly assume that every Pokemon that knows SD must have claws/weapons/etc. in order to use SD.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
My hopes for 6th Gen Competitive Battling are simple; I want to see some more diversity. Gen 5 left us in a very standard environment, where you fought the same teams with tiny variation left and right. Hopefully, with the advent of Gen 6, we will see a little more deviation from this.

A little bit wishful, if you ask me, but it is my main hope.

But my biggest fear is that, like Gen 4 did to Pokemon, Gen 6 will bring a whole new set of mechanics that everyone will need to get used to. I mean, I really enjoy how EV training, IVs, Natures etc. all work out right now; changing it all would be a pretty big jump. Not that I'm unwilling, I'd just prefer that everything stay the relatively the same.

Regardless, whatever happens, I'm excited to see what's to come to the table. :)

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I want to see some new stuff like Trick Room that lends viability to Pokemon like Rampardos who would otherwise never be viable. Perhaps a move like Trick Room that switches everyone's offensive and defensive stats, or something like that.

Osada

Pokemon lover
My hope is simple,, to Nintendo find and recognize RQ,, it's a chain effect and really a mood destroyer for the pokemon battle,, and also recognize and ban the pokemon from flash cart game,, or at least prevent them from coming to gen VI pokemon,, because those pokemon are unstable, therefore potentially ruin the battle,,

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
My hope is simple,, to Nintendo find and recognize RQ,, it's a chain effect and really a mood destroyer for the pokemon battle,, and also recognize and ban the pokemon from flash cart game,, or at least prevent them from coming to gen VI pokemon,, because those pokemon are unstable, therefore potentially ruin the battle,,
??? I DON'T SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE, CAN YOU SPEAK ENGLISH PLEASE!? Anyways, it would be nice if we get a physical equivelent of Psyshock, preferably an Electric or Fire move. **** you Skarmory.

Osada

Pokemon lover
??? I DON'T SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE, CAN YOU SPEAK ENGLISH PLEASE!? Anyways, it would be nice if we get a physical equivelent of Psyshock, preferably an Electric or Fire move. **** you Skarmory.

what part of it you don't understand? my post is clear enough,, maybe you don't speak pokemon terms, or you should ask anybody who speaks english,, because even pre-schooler can understand,,

PS: be polite dude,,IT IS NOT NICE TO WROTE POST IN CAPITAL. unless you are mentally troubled,, I can't understand.