• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

7-Star Raids - Strategies, Speculation & Discussion Thread

Barrysun

and now I'm done with the Mewtwo raids.
my last battle with Mewtwo with an all Mew Party and I've managed to time my usage Electric Terrain so Mewtwo can't use rest after the shield is down. still a tough battle. I wonder what's next

Luthor

One of my random allies (online) decided to send their Gengar out to the Mewtwo raid online. Needless to say that raid did not go well with it being knocked out a lot.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
F5B6QKjaEAABmqE

giphy.gif

This was our set-up:

Mew on offense:

252 HP 252 Attack
Adamant
Tera: Bug
Item: Shell Bell
Swords Dance
Leech Life
-filler-
-filler-

Support Mew one:
252 HP 128 Defense 128 Sp.D
Calm
Item: Shell Bell
Snarl
Struggle Bug
Leech Life
Life Dew

Support Mew 2:
252 HP 128 Defense 128 Sp.D
Calm
Item: Light Clay
Snarl
Light Screen
Misty Terrain
Life Dew

Last edited:

Copley Hill Gym

I really don’t get the idea of the support pokemon for these raids. It literally had to be mew. I’ve been in a dozen mewtwo raids and none of the support Pokémon in raids for this have been used. The only thing that can hit this thing legitimately harder than mew is a Mewtwo setup I witnessed today, but even that didn’t have a great moveset and was fainting - as opposed the three mews.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I was on Twitter and saw a lot of peeps really getting heated over Mewtwo's difficulty spike in comparison to all the other raids up till this point.

So in the defense of everyone struggling with the Mewtwo raid, if you aren't in a coordinated raid with everyone bringing a Mew meant for a specific task, it is legit really hard. Relying on all 3 randoms to have the right Mew and to somehow coordinate a gamestrat is unrealistic. People are more than likely just gonna bring the offensive set and hope for the best. Which of course doesn't work.

So I do think the complaints are valid.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
If Mew was still a Pokémon with limited distribution, I would get the complaints, since the raid is obviously only possible with a team of everyone using it. But since they gave every player a Mew weeks ahead of this, it seems people are just complaining because they are not used to the game being hard and feel frustrated instead of challenged.

A real complaint, however, is the fact that the raid is impossible to do on solo. Not nearly impossible like some of the SwSh raids, but truly impossible. So they 100% locked an event from the main game behind an extra paywall which is really scammy, even by the current game industry standards.

epithumia

Poison-type enthusiast
got it today but yeah, this one doesn't feel doable without a team of Mews. one of ours kept using Mud Slap, I think? so a lot of Mewtwo's attacks missed us. still took us quite a while

Barrysun

Sheesh I'm not going after this thing again. Like Fuji said:
We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon... [Mewtwo starts to form a blue orb around himself] and we succeeded.
And once Mewtwo saw how promising 7-star raid battles are, worthy opponents to test his might. He decided to take the next 7-star slot in order to challenge the mightest trainers. Plus, once his shields are down, decided to bring back one of his old tricks back from the Stadium days, rest! since the other 7-star Pokemon don't recover HP, Mewtwo made things annoying by using a rest/chesto berry combo to start the true battle.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I was on Twitter and saw a lot of peeps really getting heated over Mewtwo's difficulty spike in comparison to all the other raids up till this point.

So in the defense of everyone struggling with the Mewtwo raid, if you aren't in a coordinated raid with everyone bringing a Mew meant for a specific task, it is legit really hard. Relying on all 3 randoms to have the right Mew and to somehow coordinate a gamestrat is unrealistic. People are more than likely just gonna bring the offensive set and hope for the best. Which of course doesn't work.

So I do think the complaints are valid.
Heightening the issue there is no in-game chat system so people are forced to use an outside source like Reddit or Discord to coordinate the correct strategy (so you don’t end up with all offensive Mews or all support Mews). A chat system akin to the one in Yo-Kai Watch Blasters (just a set of preset messages to post) would solve the concern of potentially exposing kids to…less than polite words.

Also the “scummy” issue of forcing people to get a NSO subscription or popping their 7-day free trial.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Finally, I did it. I caught my favorite Pokemon. It took a while to find the right team of Mews but I managed to pull it off. One of them used a shiny Mew and it felt like a bit of good luck, lol.

Thank God one of them used Misty Terrain before Mewtwo could use Rest.
Been using that strategy myself, my shiny Mew from Go, 2 defence calls at the start, struggle bug to build up my Tera, then swords dance x3, then begin hitting it with Leech Life, then a Misty terrain as the shield breaks. Then rinse and repeat of swords dance x3 and leech life

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
One of my random allies (online) decided to send their Gengar out to the Mewtwo raid online. Needless to say that raid did not go well with it being knocked out a lot.
I see that, and I raise you one: someone brought a Sneasler to one of ours.

A real complaint, however, is the fact that the raid is impossible to do on solo. Not nearly impossible like some of the SwSh raids, but truly impossible. So they 100% locked an event from the main game behind an extra paywall which is really scammy, even by the current game industry standards.
It's only truly an extra paywall if you're using Nintendo Switch Online solely for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet. Games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and Splatoon 3 were designed around Nintendo Switch Online, so if you have at least one of those, and they're all in the top 20 bestselling Switch games, so it's likely you do, the cost is lessened on a per-game basis. (For the record, I gave a count, and it looks like I currently have 35 games that use Nintendo Switch Online, though that includes Tetris 99, which anyone with a subscription gets for no added charge. This number will go up next month as I get Super Mario Bros. Wonder.)

Bear in mind, also, that the online fees for PlayStation Online and Xbox Live are much higher.

I've been seeing this complaint now and then here. Do you guys really only play online on the Switch for Pokémon and nothing else?

Last edited:

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I've been seeing this complaint now and then here. Do you guys really only play online on the Switch for Pokémon and nothing else?
If a content of a game is locked behind the online subscription (and we are not talking about a strictly online game, like Splatoon), then it is locked behind a paywall.
The fact that the player might have already that subscription already because of other games is irrelevant.

Copley Hill Gym

If a content of a game is locked behind the online subscription (and we are not talking about a strictly online game, like Splatoon), then it is locked behind a paywall.
The fact that the player might have already that subscription already because of other games is irrelevant.
I find it difficult to believe all these S/V players who claim they haven’t already got a subscription. It feels like a stretch to claim this is locked behind a paywall when a few on Smogon have done offline battles and beaten the mewtwo (albeit been very lucky).

Last edited:

LordSerperior

I find it difficult to believe all these S/V players who claim they haven’t already got a subscription.
So basically, "I find it difficult to believe that people play games differently than me". I am not interested in playing any of my switch games online because I am usually only interested in single player content.

I personally don't have a problem with it because I either use the free trial if its available and if not am okay with missing out on stuff but I can see where people are coming from.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The Splatoon games are not strictly online: you can play it offline, such as its story modes, but it is designed around online 4v4 play. Even Tetris 99 can be played offline. Nothing directly from Nintendo is like this. (Pokémon UNITE is a borderline case, with the game not letting you play if you're offline, but Nintendo has minimal involvement with this one, handled by TiMi, Tencent, and The Pokémon Company).

Nevertheless, having any of these games I mentioned above and never playing online with them will make them incomplete experiences. They're built around the multiplayer, just as the Tera Raid Battles were designed to be multiplayer experiences. Otherwise, you could accuse hundreds, if not thousands, of games, from across all of the gaming platforms of doing this, like every fighting game, first-person shooter, or MMO made after 2012.

I've never seen this complaint turn up anywhere besides Pokémon fans. I've seen people complain about Nintendo's online service going from free to paid, and I've seen people complain when the prices go up, but only among Pokémon fans do I see people complain about having to go onine at all. Super Mario Odyssey fans who don't go online simply don't play Luigi's Balloon Challenge, for example (even though there are unlockables found only through it). Fans of Monster Hunter Rise who don't go online play strictly locally, with other people sitting (or standing) next to them (most of the monsters in this game cannot be defeated solo, or it's very hard to do it).

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
The Splatoon games are not strictly online: you can play it offline, such as its story modes, but it is designed around online 4v4 play. Even Tetris 99 can be played offline. Nothing directly from Nintendo is like this. (Pokémon UNITE is a borderline case, with the game not letting you play if you're offline, but Nintendo has minimal involvement with this one, handled by TiMi, Tencent, and The Pokémon Company).

Nevertheless, having any of these games I mentioned above and never playing online with them will make them incomplete experiences. They're built around the multiplayer, just as the Tera Raid Battles were designed to be multiplayer experiences. Otherwise, you could accuse hundreds, if not thousands, of games, from across all of the gaming platforms of doing this, like every fighting game, first-person shooter, or MMO made after 2012.

I've never seen this complaint turn up anywhere besides Pokémon fans. I've seen people complain about Nintendo's online service going from free to paid, and I've seen people complain when the prices go up, but only among Pokémon fans do I see people complain about having to go onine at all. Super Mario Odyssey fans who don't go online simply don't play Luigi's Balloon Challenge, for example (even though there are unlockables found only through it). Fans of Monster Hunter Rise who don't go online play strictly locally, with other people sitting (or standing) next to them (most of the monsters in this game cannot be defeated solo, or it's very hard to do it).
You could make your case using SV and saying the Union Circle is already a feature that requires multiplayer. But the difference between that and the raids is that it was marketed and announced as an online feature.
Similarly, Splatoon is sold as an online game, even if there are features you can still access offline. Of course you won't see players from other franchises complaining about it if you are not making this crucial distinction (same way you also won't see Pokémon fans complaining about the Union Circle being an online feature).