• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

7th Gen Trick Room/Tailwind Team

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Like how Garchomp dominated Gen 4, how Weather Wars dominated Gen 5, and how Mega Evolutions dominated Gen 6, Trick Room is the new dominant feature of Gen 7 and unlike the past Generations, almost everyone loves the Trick Room meta of Gen 7 turning many slow weights into very dangerous anti-Meta Pokemon. So some of you know that I team-build for both the single player and multiplayer experience. Here's the 7th gen team I am building.

Incineroar
Adamant Nature
252 Atk/176 HP/76 Sp. Def
Assault Vest/Eject Button
Intimidate Ability
Fake Out
Flare Blitz
Knock-Off/Darkest Lariat
U-Turn/Drain Punch/Protect

He'll serve as the team's bulk thanks to his intimidate ability. Funny how one change can easily transform the worst competitive Alolan Starter to debatable the best competitively Alolan starter.

Vikavolt
Modest Nature
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
Focus Sash/Life Orb/ Electrium Z
Levitate Ability
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball/Protect
Bug Buzz
Agility

He's my glass cannon wall breaker.

Shiinotic
Modest Nature
252 Sp. Atk/252 HP
Focus Sash/ Life Orb/ Coba Berry/Leftovers
Effect Spore Ability
Spore
Moon Blast
Giga Drain
Dream Eater/Spotlight/Protect

I'm just using him because A) He has spore and B) I probably will never ever use a Trick room team again and this will probably be the only time I Shiinotic will ever be competitively viable on one of my teams.

Oranguru
Relaxed Nature
252 Sp. Atk/ 252 HP
Focus Sash/Mental Herb
Telepathy Ability
Instruct
Psychic
Foul Play/Thunder Wave
Trick Room

Everyone's favorite Anti-Meta enforcer!

Alolan Golem
Jolly Nature
252 Atk/252 Spd
Focus Sash/Air Balloon
Galvanize Ability
Earthquake/Explosion
Stone Edge
Double Edge
Rock Polish

He's meant to sweep in several different ways. Attack fast-sweeping Pokemon while under TrickRoom or Tailwind while setting up Rock Polish at the end of both moves effects.

Drampa
Timid Nature or Modest Nature
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd or 252 Sp. Atk/252 HP
Focus Sash/Salac Berry/Haban Berry
Berserk Ability
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Hyper Voice
Tailwind
Ice Beam

He's a very vital member and probably hardest to keep him on the field. He's the only member that uses Ice Beam, good against Garchomp and Landorus so I'm thinking of keeping Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse since there already a lot of Dragon Types with no 4x weakness
of ice-types. Also I probably need another very slow Pokemon for Trick Room to counter other slow Trick Room teams so having HP over speed might be a good idea too.

So what do you think of my very risky very anti-meta very unpredictable team that combines Tailwind and Trickroom together?

Last edited:

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
An interesting idea. I would suggest focusing on either singles or doubles, since moves like fakeout and protect haven't much use on tailwind/trick room in singles, for example. Can't really rate a team equally as good for both formats!

Like how Garchomp dominated Gen 4, how Weather Wars dominated Gen 5, and how Mega Evolutions dominated Gen 6, Trick Room is the new dominant feature of Gen 7 and unlike the past Generations, almost everyone loves the Trick Room meta of Gen 7 turning many slow weights into very dangerous anti-Meta Pokemon. So some of you know that I team-build for both the single player and multiplayer experience. Here's the 7th gen team I am building.

Incineroar
Adamant Nature
252 Atk/176 HP/76 Sp. Def
Assault Vest/Eject Button
Intimidate Ability
Fake Out
Flare Blitz
Knock-Off/Darkest Lariat
U-Turn/Drain Punch/Protect

He'll serve as the team's bulk thanks to his intimidate ability. Funny how one change can easily transform the worst competitive Alolan Starter to debatable the best competitively Alolan starter.
Eject button + intimidate makes this a nice way to bring another team member in and maximise your tailwind/trick room.
Vikavolt
Modest Nature
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
Focus Sash/Life Orb/ Electrium Z
Levitate Ability
Thunderbolt
Energy Ball/Protect
Bug Buzz
Agility

He's my glass cannon wall breaker.
Vikavolt has reasonable bulk so doesn't really need sash depending on what you setup on. Agility also doesn't fit the nature of this team, unless you feel trick room and tailwind are letting you down.
Shiinotic
Modest Nature
252 Sp. Atk/252 HP
Focus Sash/ Life Orb/ Coba Berry/Leftovers
Effect Spore Ability
Spore
Moon Blast
Giga Drain
Dream Eater/Spotlight/Protect

I'm just using him because A) He has spore and B) I probably will never ever use a Trick room team again and this will probably be the only time I Shiinotic will ever be competitively viable on one of my teams.
Consider strength sap over dream eater, is all. Great recovery and shuts down phys attackers; your team could use less offence.
Oranguru
Relaxed Nature
252 Sp. Atk/ 252 HP
Focus Sash/Mental Herb
Telepathy Ability
Instruct
Psychic
Foul Play/Thunder Wave
Trick Room

Everyone's favorite Anti-Meta enforcer!
Would have different recommendations here in particular : singles or doubles?
Alolan Golem
Jolly Nature
252 Atk/252 Spd
Focus Sash/Air Balloon
Galvanize Ability
Earthquake/Explosion
Stone Edge
Double Edge
Rock Polish

He's meant to sweep in several different ways. Attack fast-sweeping Pokemon while under TrickRoom or Tailwind while setting up Rock Polish at the end of both moves effects.

Drampa
Timid Nature or Modest Nature
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd or 252 Sp. Atk/252 HP
Focus Sash/Salac Berry/Haban Berry
Berserk Ability
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Hyper Voice
Tailwind
Ice Beam

He's a very vital member and probably hardest to keep him on the field. He's the only member that uses Ice Beam, good against Garchomp and Landorus so I'm thinking of keeping Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse since there already a lot of Dragon Types with no 4x weakness
of ice-types. Also I probably need another very slow Pokemon for Trick Room to counter other slow Trick Room teams so having HP over speed might be a good idea too.
There is a lot of pressure on Drampa to perform many roles on this team, and its role as tailwind setter is nulled by the fact you have two speed boosters (sashed no less) on this team already. You also have no recovery: Perhaps replace ice beam or dragon stab with roost to farm berserk boosts. Haban berry => weakness policy, perhaps?
So what do you think of my very risky very anti-meta very unpredictable team that combines Tailwind and Trickroom together?

From what you've said about drampa and from observation, you could use some more flexibility. As it stands, you have little room for error since the squad has little longevity.
Should point out also that whilst Tailwind multiplies speed by two, it isn't enough on mons like shiinotic to outspeed many offensive mons, which means you want speed investment...which means cutting down on bulk, which isn't ideal.

Again though, can only really brush the surface: if you specify singles or doubles I can go into greater depth.

shoz999

An interesting idea. I would suggest focusing on either singles or doubles, since moves like fakeout and protect haven't much use on tailwind/trick room in singles, for example. Can't really rate a team equally as good for both formats!

From what you've said about drampa and from observation, you could use some more flexibility. As it stands, you have little room for error since the squad has little longevity.
Should point out also that whilst Tailwind multiplies speed by two, it isn't enough on mons like shiinotic to outspeed many offensive mons, which means you want speed investment...which means cutting down on bulk, which isn't ideal.

Again though, can only really brush the surface: if you specify singles or doubles I can go into greater depth.
I'm focusing mostly on doubles but I believe this team can work in singles with the exception of Oranguru since Instruct doesn't really work in singles. Also I've already caught a Timid Drampa so I'm sticking to a speed set for Drampa. Also I've done some damage calculations. With a Haban Berry, Drampa can survive a Garchomp's Outrage or a Nagandel's Draco Meteor. I figure Dragon types are more common than Ice types anyway.

Shiinotic is intentionally going to be slow. He's going to take advantage of an Enemy Team's trick room team. Trick Room is more common in Gen 7 and has quickly become a favorite anti-meta move against most, if not all, OU-class Pokemon so having some slow Pokemon like Shiinotic would help against other trick room teams. I'm thinking the same for Vikavolt since I caught a Modest one over a Timid one.

Last edited:

EKZ1505

I 100% agree with Arch that you need to choose whether it's going to be singles or doubles, because they are very different formats.

If you truly want to stick to doubles, I can definitely help, but you need some more explanation of why you are using certain Pokemon, moves, or spreads, because some of them are greatly outclassed (like Shiinotic) or the spreads really do not make sense given the role I would think they are used for. You need to narrow down certain moveslots or items too, or describe why you are conflicted and can't choose between them (like AV vs Eject Button on Incineroar, etc), because right now I would write entirely too much given that I don't know some of the reasoning lol.

You could also use a mega if you so choose.

Last edited:

shoz999

I 100% agree with Arch that you need to choose whether it's going to be singles or doubles, because they are very different formats.

If you truly want to stick to doubles, I can definitely help, but you need some more explanation of why you are using certain Pokemon, moves, or spreads, because some of them are greatly outclassed (like Shiinotic) or the spreads really do not make sense given the role I would think they are used for. You need to narrow down certain moveslots or items too, or describe why you are conflicted and can't choose between them (like AV vs Eject Button on Incineroar, etc), because right now I would write entirely too much given that I don't know some of the reasoning lol.

You could also use a mega if you so choose.
That's simple. I never just Pokemon I like, I never catch another Pokemon a second time unless it's a starter, and I realized this is probably the only time Shiinotic will ever be competitively viable, on a trick-room team and I don't plan on having many Trick-Room users in the future. This is more focused on doubles but I believe it can work in singles like all the other double teams I make. The entire team is meant to disrupt OU-class enemy teams or possibly just Trick Room users themselves with Trickroom and Tailwind using Pokemon I never caught before and Pokemon I want to use to there best ability. You are talking to a person who has destroyed a M. Swampert with a Dedenne!

EKZ1505

Well...that still doesn't really answer my last post at all regarding the descriptions needed, but I'll still try to help! lol that's good you're using your favorites, but it would still need some changes to work in singles :/

What does Incineroar's spread do? It may be fine, but if you took it from somewhere it may be built for the item it held (probably AV or a pinch berry, the two best items for it). For yours, definitely use AV. Eject Button is really only for specific roles (like on Perish Trap). Definitely go with Knock Off, and the last slot U-turn probably works, but Low Kick is another one to consider.

Vikavolt is tough to use outside TR, but I don't see a reason to run Agility when you have Tailwind and TR support, as it's tougher to use in doubles. Have Protect instead (which is the best move in doubles, and should be on nearly every Pokemon that isn't holding a Choice item, AV, or fully a support set). It's probably your best z move option too.

Shiinotic is...to put it nicely...not at all good, especially in the role it has here. It's not particularly strong as a special attacker, and is greatly outclassed by Amoongus in a support role. Dream Eater and Spotlight aren't worth it, but Strength Sap has some merit, but would have to replace an attack to keep Protect. A pinch berry is your best option probably. More EVs in the defenses are ideal, especially with a Relaxed or Sassy nature so you can get "faster" Spores off in TR.

Oranguru should be all defenses and no special attack. It's only useful role is setting up TR and spamming Instruct. Mental Herb is good, and go with Protect over T-wave. Psychic or Foul Play (to help against BD Snorlax) are both fine. Is it out with Golem enough to justify Telepathy?

I'm not sure Golem needs Rock Polish with speed control, but it could be useful as a 4th move. Protect still needs to be on there, and definitely go Rock Slide (OP in doubles if you ask veterans lol) over Stone Edge. Not sure about the item here, Sash doesn't make much sense with Double Edge...could be another z move candidate or just go with a boosting item like Life Orb.

Drampa is kinda all over the place here...it's best under TR with a Quiet nature. Even max speed, Timid, with Tailwind doesn't outspeed many important threats. There's much better Tailwind users, but if you're sticking with it, I guess it's your only Tailwind option...Sash is alright to help with Tailwind setup and get the Beserk boost, but a pinch berry could be nice too (tho better on bulker sets) to potentially get a second boost. Ice Beam could actually be kept over Draco since Fini is so common and Landorus-T is a big issue for your team.

Don't forget the last 4 EVs on some of your Pokemon, and again, maybe consider a mega to maximize your chances. Is there anything in particular (weather, a specific Pokemon/strategy) that gives you a lot of trouble?

shoz999

Well...that still doesn't really answer my last post at all regarding the descriptions needed, but I'll still try to help! lol that's good you're using your favorites, but it would still need some changes to work in singles :/

What does Incineroar's spread do? It may be fine, but if you took it from somewhere it may be built for the item it held (probably AV or a pinch berry, the two best items for it). For yours, definitely use AV. Eject Button is really only for specific roles (like on Perish Trap). Definitely go with Knock Off, and the last slot U-turn probably works, but Low Kick is another one to consider.

Vikavolt is tough to use outside TR, but I don't see a reason to run Agility when you have Tailwind and TR support, as it's tougher to use in doubles. Have Protect instead (which is the best move in doubles, and should be on nearly every Pokemon that isn't holding a Choice item, AV, or fully a support set). It's probably your best z move option too.

Shiinotic is...to put it nicely...not at all good, especially in the role it has here. It's not particularly strong as a special attacker, and is greatly outclassed by Amoongus in a support role. Dream Eater and Spotlight aren't worth it, but Strength Sap has some merit, but would have to replace an attack to keep Protect. A pinch berry is your best option probably. More EVs in the defenses are ideal, especially with a Relaxed or Sassy nature so you can get "faster" Spores off in TR.

Oranguru should be all defenses and no special attack. It's only useful role is setting up TR and spamming Instruct. Mental Herb is good, and go with Protect over T-wave. Psychic or Foul Play (to help against BD Snorlax) are both fine. Is it out with Golem enough to justify Telepathy?

I'm not sure Golem needs Rock Polish with speed control, but it could be useful as a 4th move. Protect still needs to be on there, and definitely go Rock Slide (OP in doubles if you ask veterans lol) over Stone Edge. Not sure about the item here, Sash doesn't make much sense with Double Edge...could be another z move candidate or just go with a boosting item like Life Orb.

Drampa is kinda all over the place here...it's best under TR with a Quiet nature. Even max speed, Timid, with Tailwind doesn't outspeed many important threats. There's much better Tailwind users, but if you're sticking with it, I guess it's your only Tailwind option...Sash is alright to help with Tailwind setup and get the Beserk boost, but a pinch berry could be nice too (tho better on bulker sets) to potentially get a second boost. Ice Beam could actually be kept over Draco since Fini is so common and Landorus-T is a big issue for your team.

Don't forget the last 4 EVs on some of your Pokemon, and again, maybe consider a mega to maximize your chances. Is there anything in particular (weather, a specific Pokemon/strategy) that gives you a lot of trouble?
Okay, Incineroar's role is to add physical bulk not just to himself but the entire team. Assault Vest is for Special Defense but Eject Button is a way to spam Fake-Out again.
Vikavolt is meant to be my one-shot cannon. If I go for a bulky set, it would be great against other Trick Room teams, if I go for a speed set, it would be great against sweepers. This is because when the last turn of Trick Room or Tailwind is over, I can use agility to give Vikavolt a speed boost at an opportune time.
Shiinotic is my sweeper+potential Dragon sweeper on Trick Room. I did the calculation and Shiinotic can take a Garchomp's Poison Jab -1 attack from INtimidate so I'm thinking of giving Shiinotic a life orb to ensure a one shot hit. Outclass or not, still going to use it and on an Trick Room team with an Intimidate Incineroar with Fake Out makes Shiinotic more viable then it ever was before.
Oranguru can survive a Garchomp's outrage with no changes from stats and no investment in Oranguru's defense. Also I added Special Attack because I am a very aggressive player.
Alolan Golem with Rock Polish definitely needs it. An Alola Golem with twice the speed and galvanize can destroy or at least suicidally take down many Pokemon with him. The Rock Polish is a last resort if tailwind runs out.
Drampa is going to be used with a Timid Nature, so max speed and Tailwind. 192 speed still allows it to outspeed a lot of Pokemon. I think I'm going for a Haban berry since Dragon-types seem to be more common. Also I'm going to add Ice Beam as it's my only strong counter against Landorus who is fairly slow.

I only consider Mega's in teams of other generations that do have Mega Evolutions. I build teams by generation and Gen 7 has no Mega Evolutions. I also tend to keep mythical Pokemon out as it also breaks the immersion for me a bit. I haven't tested it out yet as I'm still using it for story mode. One thing I do consider when team-building is what Pokemon are available in this Generation, what Pokemon I like and what Pokemon I think are competitively viable, and how do they counter Garchomp and Landorus? If you don't have a team that can counter Garchomp or Landorus even a little bit, then it's not viable at all.

EKZ1505

This can help you in future RMTs: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/gen-7-rmt-rules-guidelines.655079/

I'm sorry but Shiinotic is not a "sweeper" in any sense, but see how it works for you!

Garchomp is not as common in doubles, so I would be more concerned with Koko's z-move and other attacks like that, and Outrage is not even remotely relevant anyway (it attacks a random target in doubles). Dragon attacks are not common in general due to the many fairies (especially the Tapus) and Fini's terrain weakening them again grounded targets, so there's definitely better options than the berry on Drampa.

Last edited:

shoz999

This can help you in future RMTs: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/gen-7-rmt-rules-guidelines.655079/

I'm sorry but Shiinotic is not a "sweeper" in any sense, but see how it works for you!

Garchomp is not as common in doubles, so I would be more concerned with Koko's z-move and other attacks like that, and Outrage is not even remotely relevant anyway (it attacks a random target in doubles). Dragon attacks are not common in general due to the many fairies (especially the Tapus) and Fini's terrain weakening them again grounded targets, so there's definitely better options than the berry on Drampa.
Shiinotic not really supposed to be a "sweeper". He's more like an anti-meta/anti-trick room Pokemon that can disrupt several Pokemon and OHKO almost any dragon-types. He is a potential sweeper though with the amount of ground and dragon-types that don't like trick-room though. Also I forget this, but I also do use the Tapu's as a form of measurement for Koko's due to there great speed, bulk, and terrain moves but Garchomp is a common sight in doubles as well and is a great measurement for most dragon and ground-types. I also take into consideration of other intimidate users. Other than that, this is the probably the only time Shiinotic will be viable on my competitive-focused teams, with Incineroar's Fake Out and Intimidate adding more bulk to the entire team and Shiinotic taking advantage of Trick Room so I am absolutely keeping it since I can't really think how Shiinotic can work elsewhere. Also I did the calculations for Drampa, he can survive a Moonblast from the Tapu's with a Roseli Berry so that should be interesting.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
So we're focusing on doubles then :)
I think your aims for this squad are great: you have identified a group of mons that beat popular mons in certain circumstances. However, the aim is now to make these circumstances more frequent and less specific to popular mons you are overpreparing for.
EKZ has touched on some good points and will have a better perspective on the doubles meta than me, but will make some suggestions below.

...this is probably the only time Shiinotic will ever be competitively viable, on a trick-room team and I don't plan on having many Trick-Room users in the future. This is more focused on doubles but I believe it can work in singles like all the other double teams I make. The entire team is meant to disrupt OU-class enemy teams or possibly just Trick Room users themselves with Trickroom and Tailwind using Pokemon I never caught before and Pokemon I want to use to there best ability. You are talking to a person who has destroyed a M. Swampert with a Dedenne!

Concerning your idea of a doubles team "working " in singles. Yes, this team could win some singles matches. However, the difference in metagames will mean that it won't be as effective.By preparing for one format you will make sacrifices that make the team less equipped for the other. Take Trick Room and Tailwind, the very moves you have centred your strategy around. You only have ~5 turns,so as support moves they are more effective in the doubles format. Why? Twice as many mons move at once, so twice as many' attacks during the move's effect, PLUS no need to waste a whole turn switching around. Each turn has potential to be far more productive than in singles.

I would love to hear about Dedenne destroying a Swampert! Could you repeat it easily? All these achievements are fine but your aim should be consistent results. Typically, Mega Swampert is paired with Pelipper and thus outspeeds Dedenne under rain. In that common scenario, dedenne loses.
Similarly with this team, you want an anti-meta team with consistent results. I can see this team being far more consistent in doubles than in singles.

Okay, Incineroar's role is to add physical bulk not just to himself but the entire team. Assault Vest is for Special Defense but Eject Button is a way to spam Fake-Out again.
Vikavolt is meant to be my one-shot cannon. If I go for a bulky set, it would be great against other Trick Room teams, if I go for a speed set, it would be great against sweepers. This is because when the last turn of Trick Room or Tailwind is over, I can use agility to give Vikavolt a speed boost at an opportune time.
Shiinotic is my sweeper+potential Dragon sweeper on Trick Room. I did the calculation and Shiinotic can take a Garchomp's Poison Jab -1 attack from INtimidate so I'm thinking of giving Shiinotic a life orb to ensure a one shot hit. Outclass or not, still going to use it and on an Trick Room team with an Intimidate Incineroar with Fake Out makes Shiinotic more viable then it ever was before.
Oranguru can survive a Garchomp's outrage with no changes from stats and no investment in Oranguru's defense. Also I added Special Attack because I am a very aggressive player.
Alolan Golem with Rock Polish definitely needs it. An Alola Golem with twice the speed and galvanize can destroy or at least suicidally take down many Pokemon with him. The Rock Polish is a last resort if tailwind runs out.
Drampa is going to be used with a Timid Nature, so max speed and Tailwind. 192 speed still allows it to outspeed a lot of Pokemon. I think I'm going for a Haban berry since Dragon-types seem to be more common. Also I'm going to add Ice Beam as it's my only strong counter against Landorus who is fairly slow.

... One thing I do consider when team-building is what Pokemon are available in this Generation, what Pokemon I like and what Pokemon I think are competitively viable, and how do they counter Garchomp and Landorus? If you don't have a team that can counter Garchomp or Landorus even a little bit, then it's not viable at all.

Will discuss some team changes in a bit at base of post.
I second EKZ's point on dragon attacks; you don't need to prepare for them so much. Fairies are common and so is misty terrain, so they do not need preparing for. Garchomp is no longer the threat it has been and doesn't need excessive prep for. Outrage chomp, even, much rarer. Landorus, however, is a good mon to prepare for, since it still sees high usage ( up there with incineroar in the top 5 most used in doubles).

Shiinotic not really supposed to be a "sweeper". He's more like an anti-meta/anti-trick room Pokemon that can disrupt several Pokemon and OHKO almost any dragon-types. He is a potential sweeper though with the amount of ground and dragon-types that don't like trick-room though. Also I forget this, but I also do use the Tapu's as a form of measurement for Koko's due to there great speed, bulk, and terrain moves but Garchomp is a common sight in doubles as well and is a great measurement for most dragon and ground-types. I also take into consideration of other intimidate users. Other than that, this is the probably the only time Shiinotic will be viable on my competitive-focused teams, with Incineroar's Fake Out and Intimidate adding more bulk to the entire team and Shiinotic taking advantage of Trick Room so I am absolutely keeping it since I can't really think how Shiinotic can work elsewhere. Also I did the calculations for Drampa, he can survive a Moonblast from the Tapu's with a Roseli Berry so that should be interesting.

You need to narrow down which mons your team struggles with, from your experience. For instance, you don't need the OHKO on most dragon types if your team isn't threatened by them in the first place. I could have a team that cannot OHKO a Goodra, but if it isn't too dangerous to my team I can afford to not kill it immediately.
Roseli berry sounds like a decent pick for Drampa's item. I would argue that it would be easier to add a sounder fairy answer to your team though!

Some things I would like you to consider for now ( can discuss more at another time, this post is getting long):
Oranguru
Don't run focus sash when investing in HP or defences. You are less likely to be knocked out in one hit if you are already bulky and have additional bulk investment.
Vikavolt or Golem-A
Question the necessity of rock polish and agility on these two.I would recommend you pick one and ditch the other for this team, as both are slow electric attackers reliant on tailwind or trick room to work well. Consider adding another tailwind user to your team with a faster speed stat so you don't have to rely on Drampa every single time you need tailwind up.
Shiinotic
Misty terrain and Electric Terrain nullify spore, which you say is your main reason for using it. These terrains are common, so consider whether spore is necessary for your team.Maybe one of Shiinotic's other moves will serve you better ( but I've touched on those options already. Check them out in the Serebii dex!)
Drampa
Under a lot of pressure to set up tailwind so that the whole team can function. You want either a faster tailwind user in place of Drampa or in addition to drampa to help this team out.
What have you found this team to struggle against?
You have covered some of the meta threats, but from experience do you feel you could be covering some others better?
Tailwind only or Trickroom only?
Speed investment on slow mons means that under trick room they may not perform as well (Drampa). Likewise, slow mons without any speed investment at all will still be outsped by the opponent in Tailwind (Shiinotic). Tailwind mons and trick room mons won't work well together in certain situations.
At some point it might be worth considering sticking to one effect as the net result of each move is the same: normally slow outspeeds normally fast.

That's all from me for now

Last edited:

shoz999

So we're focusing on doubles then :)
I think your aims for this squad are great: you have identified a group of mons that beat popular mons in certain circumstances. However, the aim is now to make these circumstances more frequent and less specific to popular mons you are overpreparing for.
EKZ has touched on some good points and will have a better perspective on the doubles meta than me, but will make some suggestions below.

Concerning your idea of a doubles team "working " in singles. Yes, this team could win some singles matches. However, the difference in metagames will mean that it won't be as effective.By preparing for one format you will make sacrifices that make the team less equipped for the other. Take Trick Room and Tailwind, the very moves you have centred your strategy around. You only have ~5 turns,so as support moves they are more effective in the doubles format. Why? Twice as many mons move at once, so twice as many' attacks during the move's effect, PLUS no need to waste a whole turn switching around. Each turn has potential to be far more productive than in singles.

I would love to hear about Dedenne destroying a Swampert! Could you repeat it easily? All these achievements are fine but your aim should be consistent results. Typically, Mega Swampert is paired with Pelipper and thus outspeeds Dedenne under rain. In that common scenario, dedenne loses.
Similarly with this team, you want an anti-meta team with consistent results. I can see this team being far more consistent in doubles than in singles.

Will discuss some team changes in a bit at base of post.
I second EKZ's point on dragon attacks; you don't need to prepare for them so much. Fairies are common and so is misty terrain, so they do not need preparing for. Garchomp is no longer the threat it has been and doesn't need excessive prep for. Outrage chomp, even, much rarer. Landorus, however, is a good mon to prepare for, since it still sees high usage ( up there with incineroar in the top 5 most used in doubles).

You need to narrow down which mons your team struggles with, from your experience. For instance, you don't need the OHKO on most dragon types if your team isn't threatened by them in the first place. I could have a team that cannot OHKO a Goodra, but if it isn't too dangerous to my team I can afford to not kill it immediately.
Roseli berry sounds like a decent pick for Drampa's item. I would argue that it would be easier to add a sounder fairy answer to your team though!

Some things I would like you to consider for now ( can discuss more at another time, this post is getting long):
Oranguru
Don't run focus sash when investing in HP or defences. You are less likely to be knocked out in one hit if you are already bulky and have additional bulk investment.
Vikavolt or Golem-A
Question the necessity of rock polish and agility on these two.I would recommend you pick one and ditch the other for this team, as both are slow electric attackers reliant on tailwind or trick room to work well. Consider adding another tailwind user to your team with a faster speed stat so you don't have to rely on Drampa every single time you need tailwind up.
Shiinotic
Misty terrain and Electric Terrain nullify spore, which you say is your main reason for using it. These terrains are common, so consider whether spore is necessary for your team.Maybe one of Shiinotic's other moves will serve you better ( but I've touched on those options already. Check them out in the Serebii dex!)
Drampa
Under a lot of pressure to set up tailwind so that the whole team can function. You want either a faster tailwind user in place of Drampa or in addition to drampa to help this team out.
What have you found this team to struggle against?
You have covered some of the meta threats, but from experience do you feel you could be covering some others better?
Tailwind only or Trickroom only?
Speed investment on slow mons means that under trick room they may not perform as well (Drampa). Likewise, slow mons without any speed investment at all will still be outsped by the opponent in Tailwind (Shiinotic). Tailwind mons and trick room mons won't work well together in certain situations.
At some point it might be worth considering sticking to one effect as the net result of each move is the same: normally slow outspeeds normally fast.

That's all from me for now
The TrickRoom/Tailwind team's disruption yeilds many interesting results. As for Dedenne, that really depends. A Mega Swampert without Rain Dance, sure, easy with Grass Knot. As for Rain Teams, there were times I had to stall it out and use Grass Knot against M. Swampert, usually with Pelipper taken down first often. Doesn't sound like much but it's awesome if you succesfully do it.

As for the rest. I've decided to make a Bulky Vikavolt instead so it won't have agility. Did the damage calculations, Modest Vikavolt with no investment in it's Sp. Atk is a massive 187 Sp. Atk at Lv. 50... that's... pretty awesome. Also I did a lot of damage calculations for other Pokemon's bulk and most of my Pokemon can survive one hit from many of the big OU heavy-hitters, for the most part anyway.

As for the TrickRoom/Tailwind thing, look at it from my point of view. A lot of the Pokemon with full speed investment like Golem and Drampa are still fast enough to outspeed OU-class sweepers or tailwind-users under trickroom. I also have Pokemon like Vikavolt and Shiinotic who perform well against TrickRoom teams. If destroy there Trickroom user, Trickroom runs out, I can set up Tailwind and continue my team sweeping there team. If Tailwind runs out against there fast sweeprs, I can use TrickRoom to reverse it and still outspeed them. The entire team is a huge disruption to extremely slow or extremely fast Pokemon. The only serious threats I can think of are Pokemon around 100 speed or stops my Trick Room and Tailwind users. That's why I find the idea of a Trickroom/Tailwind team so interesting because the current Gen 7 meta is made up of either fast sweepers or Trick Room teams that stick to a high or low end of speed. There are of course mixed sets with both high and slow speed though, so that could be a possible issue.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
The TrickRoom/Tailwind team's disruption yeilds many interesting results. As for Dedenne, that really depends. A Mega Swampert without Rain Dance, sure, easy with Grass Knot. As for Rain Teams, there were times I had to stall it out and use Grass Knot against M. Swampert, usually with Pelipper taken down first often. Doesn't sound like much but it's awesome if you succesfully do it.

As for the rest. I've decided to make a Bulky Vikavolt instead so it won't have agility. Did the damage calculations, Modest Vikavolt with no investment in it's Sp. Atk is a massive 187 Sp. Atk at Lv. 50... that's... pretty awesome. Also I did a lot of damage calculations for other Pokemon's bulk and most of my Pokemon can survive one hit from many of the big OU heavy-hitters, for the most part anyway.

As for the TrickRoom/Tailwind thing, look at it from my point of view. A lot of the Pokemon with full speed investment like Golem and Drampa are still fast enough to outspeed OU-class sweepers or tailwind-users under trickroom. I also have Pokemon like Vikavolt and Shiinotic who perform well against TrickRoom teams. If destroy there Trickroom user, Trickroom runs out, I can set up Tailwind and continue my team sweeping there team. If Tailwind runs out against there fast sweeprs, I can use TrickRoom to reverse it and still outspeed them. The entire team is a huge disruption to extremely slow or extremely fast Pokemon. The only serious threats I can think of are Pokemon around 100 speed or stops my Trick Room and Tailwind users. That's why I find the idea of a Trickroom/Tailwind team so interesting because the current Gen 7 meta is made up of either fast sweepers or Trick Room teams that stick to a high or low end of speed. There are of course mixed sets with both high and slow speed though, so that could be a possible issue.

Problem is, whilst Pelipper lives, you don't answer Mega Swampert :p Whilst rain is up the team will get ransacked, and good rain teams preserve their Pelippers.

Would recommend max sp.atk invesment if your objective is to capitalise on trick room and/or tailwind. Missing KOs is even more devastating as you have a limited amount of turns, after which you're at a disadvantage.

shoz999

Problem is, whilst Pelipper lives, you don't answer Mega Swampert :p Whilst rain is up the team will get ransacked, and good rain teams preserve their Pelippers.

Would recommend max sp.atk invesment if your objective is to capitalise on trick room and/or tailwind. Missing KOs is even more devastating as you have a limited amount of turns, after which you're at a disadvantage.
True, most suicidal Pelipper users I've met have focus sash but even then I always double hit the Pelipper first so they won't switch out easily. I believe there was another reason why they let Drizzle Pelippers stay on the first turn rather than switching out. Can't really remember but I have one-shot Mega Swamperts with Dedenne before. Although I brag about it I have done it by starting with the Pelipper. Maybe I'm just lucky or something.

As for the KOs, I already know that through Salamence's Dragon Rush. One of the best Dragon-type moves that will cost you dearly if it misses once.

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
True, most suicidal Pelipper users I've met have focus sash but even then I always double hit the Pelipper first so they won't switch out easily. I believe there was another reason why they let Drizzle Pelippers stay on the first turn rather than switching out. Can't really remember but I have one-shot Mega Swamperts with Dedenne before. Although I brag about it I have done it by starting with the Pelipper. Maybe I'm just lucky or something.

As for the KOs, I already know that through Salamence's Dragon Rush. One of the best Dragon-type moves that will cost you dearly if it misses once.
I guess you have protect to stall a bit in doubles. As I said, my experience is more in singles, but 8 turns of rain is no short amount of time to stall a mega swampert for a dedenne kill. There are better ways :) Although I am assuming that pelipper run damprock in doubles, which they may well not if stuff like ttar is prominent.

Less about missing entirely, more about doing enough damage per turn so that you make the most of your speed control. A bulky mon designed to take hits and whittle away at the opponents over multiple turns doesn't benefit from the speed buff of a TR/Tailwind team as well as heavily offensive mons or certain support mons.