1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

8th Gen Regional Variants

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by shoz999, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

Doesn’t mean we can’t have more. We also got several Pokémon based on house cats, three butterflies, three moths, close to a dozen different rodents, and dozens of fish. I don’t think some more Pokémon based on stuffed animals will hurt anything at this point in time.

2. DannyDark

DannyDark The Earthquake Maker

I wonder if the new regional form of regional rodent tradition will be to make their coloration primarily black and slap a Dark type right on in there...

Obviously we won't really see it until a couple more generations, but.

Looking at the Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone.. the inclusion of Obstagoon really did save them from just being a stark colour palette change with added tongue.

PrinceOfFacade and wolf jani like this.
  3. Zizagoon and Co are a copy of Ratatta.

ƁTS_fan likes this.
  4. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

I mean there’s only so much you can do with form changes (that goes for Megas as well). I agree there’s more they could do to alter the Pokemon’s appearance, but they can’t stray too far from the original design or else it’d just be a new Pokémon.

5. JW1004

JW1004 Well-Known Member

So? We have various mons with similair or same inspirations.

MockingJ and wolf jani like this.
  6. snormunch15

snormunch15 Well-Known Member

What about a galarian bouffalant variant based on the Scottish highland cow? (If you don't know them, look them up they're great). The lore could be that the constant rain in it's new habitat took all the fluff out of it afro so all the hair hangs around it's face in a protective layer (the highland cows hair keeps the weather out of it's face). It could get the ability overcoat and maybe swap it's attack and hp stats to become more defensive while keeping the same bst. Thick fat or fluffy might be other fitting abilities and sap sipper would still work. As for typing I'm not totally sure but one of the combinations of ground, ice, water, grass, or normal would probably make sense.

Edit: also fur coat would work and be crazy

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  7. snormunch15

snormunch15 Well-Known Member

Also a while ago I saw people mentioning galarian exploud but that could be based on bagpipes

8. axelme

axelme Well-Known Member

galarian stantler anyone?

although i would rather we just a new deer all together instead of a redone one. we'll see

wolf jani likes this.
  9. mysticalglacia

mysticalglacia Alola Shill

Stantler is one of those Pokémon I completely forget exist, so a Galarian form would help put it back on people’s radars.

wolf jani likes this.
  10. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

G.Paras-@24->G.Parasect--@42-->Parapathic
    Bug/Psychic
    Dry Skin(@42-->Levitate) Telepathy
    HA. Regenerator

G.Paras.
    The uniquely mystic properties if the forest of Galar that Paras make their home has caused the much room that attaches itself to it's body to increase it's intelegence. Everytime Paras is about to attack the mushroom glows like a lightbulb above its head.

G.Parasect.
    Unlike normal Parasect the mushroom on the Galarian variant act in a symbiotic fashion acting like a second brain. Together they are able to solve many problems as well as communicate telepathically. The patterns on the mushroom light up and blink looking like supercomputer as it thinks.

G.Parapathic
    With it's higher brain functions and mental processing abilities Parasect are able to evolve into Parapathic. Floating through the air they use their spores to link up with others and network their brains enabling them to communicate across vast distances and in a fractions of a second. When two Parapathic battle they are still networked and are working together to beat one another.

AgentKallus and wolf jani like this.
  11. Mega Ampharos the Dragon

Mega Ampharos the Dragon Electric type Enthusiast

You say Parasect becomes a super computer and will evolve at level 42, how coincidental

12. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

If we don't have a Cheshire Cat pokemon, one of these cat pokemon need to have Galarian forme matching it.

Also, if Pidove isn't in this game, I will be incredibly upset. Pidgeons are literally from the UK. Pidove needs to be in and with a Galarian forme.

13. bigdaddy95

bigdaddy95 Active Member

Don’t know if this was mentioned but I would love to see Galarian forms of Plusle and Minun where they get regional evolutions that are based on the concepts of multiplication and division, respectively. I’m sure Gamefreak can up with some creative abilities if such Pokémon existed.

PrinceOfFacade and wolf jani like this.
  14. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

I’ve actually been having trouble thinking of regional variants or evolutions. Based on what we’ve seen with Weezing & the Zigzagoon line, they’ll be based on at least one of two elements:
    • Aspects of the culture, history, & mythology of the UK. Weezing being based on both Victorian gentlemen and the Industrial Revolution, while the Zigzagoon line (despite taking heavy influence from an American band) are inspired by punk rock since the genre originated in the UK. Plus, Linoone & Obstagoon seem to be inspired by badgers, which can be found in England
    • Sword and Shield’s overall themes of sports, competition, & striving to be the best. The Pokémon website said that only Galarian Linoone can evolve into Obstagoon since they had to survive the harsh conditions of the Galar region while constantly fighting with their own species.
    I need to do a little more research on the UK, but right now I’m kind of having trouble thinking of ideas or concepts that we haven’t already seen in both the trailers & the leaks.

The only two ideas I can really think of are to give Furret a Ground/Ice type evolution to go along with the rumors that it’ll be a Ground type and base their design on stoats/ermines, or to give Politoed a regional form based on Mr. Toad from The Wind in the Willows (not sure what its type would be though)

wolf jani likes this.
  15. paipr_christian

paipr_christian grass type fan.

G.Fletchling
    Normal/Flying
    It's not fully understood why as their native region of Kalos' climate is not much different but for some reason Fletching in Galar are a cool blue color.

G.Fletchilly
    Ice/Flying
    Upon evolving Galarian Fletchling become Fletchilly. The air produced from within it's body is always cool and crisp. As they fly they spread this coolness causing a bit of a cold chill.

G Talonfreeze.
    Ice/Flying.
    With a single flap of it's wings the air around it drops in temperature. It flies so quickly that it's wings will freeze into wing shaped icy blades, and it will use them to attack.

WishIhadaManafi5 and anjunajake like this.
  16. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

The only Pokémon I can honestly see getting a Cheshire Cat inspire Galar form would be Skitty and Delcatty. Glameow and Purrugly I see becoming Manx cats given that their tails are the most prominent feature and Purrugly use its tails to make itself look more threatening so it’d be interesting to see how the two would adapt if they had no tails.

DSDark and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  17. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

Glameow & Purugly could also get Galarian forms based on Scottish Warcats (more-so Purugly)

RaymondCreek likes this.
  18. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

Just pointing them out but that's not how the name scheme or regional variants work, first off if there is a Galarian Fletchling it would not be a Normal/Flying type as regional varients tend to have a different typing then the normal variant that we usually see, although it could still be part Normal or part Flying type but the other type then would get replaced or be just removed from it. Secondly in regards to the naming scheme if you look at how regional variants are named you will notice that the only thing that changes about there name is that Alolan or Galarian is put in front of their name, while in the case of a regional evolution for a Galarian form the new evolution does not have Galarian in front of it's name.

For example take the Galarian Zigzagoon line which breaks down like this:

Galarian Zigzagoon(Dark/Normal)--->Galarian Linoone(Dark/Normal)--->Obstagoon(Dark/Normal)

if you notice Obstagoon despite evolving from Galarian Linoone is just called Obstagoon and not Galarian Obstagoon, so using the names you have given them it Galarian Fletchling would either evolve into Galarian Fletchinder and then further into Galarian Talonflame, or if it's evolutions are meant to be handled like Obstagoon in that they aren't forms of existing pokemon then Galarian Fletchling would evolve into Fletchilly and then into Talonfreeze. Either way you wouldn't get a situation where the naming would be Galarian Fletchilly and Galarian Talonfreeze.

19. Mega Ampharos the Dragon

Mega Ampharos the Dragon Electric type Enthusiast

You can't have a regional variant the same type as the normal form. So technically, if you're making Fletchilly and Talonfreeze, none of them are Galarian Formes.

20. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

Just pointing this out but you do realize I was saying something pretty similar to you right, so why are you quoting me as if I was saying that a regional variant can have the exact same typing or that a Fletchilly and Talonfreeze are Galarian forms when I wasn't?