• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

Orphalesion

That's funny, I also had an idea of a ghost taking over armor but instead it was very realistic Samurai Armor and inside is a cartoony ghost. The thing is the samurai armor doesn't move, it just stands still like a statue and with a single attack, it falls apart revealing the ghost inside. Perhaps a "Kantonian" version of Polteageist lol?

A Sinnohan form of Polteageist for hypothetical DP remakes? If they happen we need some Sinnohan forms.

Kind of inspired by Polteageist, I had an idea for a regional variant for the Aggron line:

Basically, in Galar, a ghost takes over the bodies of the Aggron line, possessing them and wearing them like armor. I thought it would be cool for the serpent like ghost to pop out of the holes within their bodies. This essentially gives new life to the requested "suit of armor" ghost that I have seen people requesting. I was thinking of Steel/Ghost, and it would probably retain its stats.

I love that idea, gives me a bit of Parasec vibes.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Water/Fairy kelpie Ponyta? Or a more brutish bulldog Dark/Fighting type Snubbul. How about a Rock/Ghost literal castle Palossand?

D

Deleted member 384931

I think we won't see much new regional variants revealed, considering there isn't much news anyway

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I'm trying to think what pokemon I'd like to see a regional evolution for. Linoone was just so random that they can really do any pokemon tbh.

I do think the Sunflora line could use a boost so that would be nice. Perhaps a second typing to make it better.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I feel like Sunflora deserves to evolve further. Its stats are...not-so-great.
Though it would mean breaking the usual mould of a Pokemon that evolves through an evolution stone not evolving any further, perhaps you could have Sunkern evolve into Galarian Sunflora with a new evolution stone like they did with Alola Sandshrew and Vulpix?

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Though it would mean breaking the usual mould of a Pokemon that evolves through an evolution stone not evolving any further, perhaps you could have Sunkern evolve into Galarian Sunflora with a new evolution stone like they did with Alola Sandshrew and Vulpix?

moulds rules are broken though. That said how would people feel about a 3 stage getting a Galarian evolution or any kind of 4 stage line. I'm not sure myself if I like the idea or not...

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
moulds rules are broken though. That said how would people feel about a 3 stage getting a Galarian evolution or any kind of 4 stage line. I'm not sure myself if I like the idea or not...

Not a fan. I feel like it would just end up with the pokemon in question becoming overdesigned. Like some of the mega evolutions.

And yes, rules do get broken. Before galar, regional evolutions weren't a thing. If anyone would have speculated the possibility of it, the same thing would be said. But it still happened. I wouldn't really rule anything out based on whether or not it breaks any patterns/"rules" (especially considering these "rules" are mostly fanmade, not something official)

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
A while ago I thought of Galarian forms for Dwebble & Crustle that were inspired by the steampunk genre & the Industrial Revolution. They’d be Bug/Steel types & their shells would be machines made out of scrap metal to protect them from the more dangerous predators of the Galar region. Then Galarian Crustle could evolve into a Fire/Steel Type pokémon that’s partly based on crabs found in the UK like the Shore Crab or the Edible Crab, & the fact that Dwebble & Crustle were originally designed as pokémon based on furnaces.

I also came up with designs for each of them (though I’ll delete the links if I’m not supposed to post them here):

Last edited:

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
I really need to Grass/Fire Galarian Sunflora evoloution to be a thing now. The poor things stats are tragic as it, but with a fire/grass regional varient AND regional evoloution the there's potential there. Fire STAB and Solar Beam are great coverage as it, but it also gets Earth Power which is quite cool for a grass type to get. As well as morning sun and synthesis, which both heal a even more under sun. The regional evolution would need to crank up that special attack though. It's speed may be too low to be salvaged so maybe they could crank up the bulk as well.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I feel like Sunflora deserves to evolve further. Its stats are...not-so-great.
Unown definitely needs to evolve. Its stats are horrible and its moveset is horrible

aa_623

Not a fan. I feel like it would just end up with the pokemon in question becoming overdesigned. Like some of the mega evolutions.

And yes, rules do get broken. Before galar, regional evolutions weren't a thing. If anyone would have speculated the possibility of it, the same thing would be said. But it still happened. I wouldn't really rule anything out based on whether or not it breaks any patterns/"rules" (especially considering these "rules" are mostly fanmade, not something official)
It's funny because my friends and I were sitting around talking when the games were first announced and I was all for the idea of regional variants getting exclusive evolutions. I even discussed the possibility of regional pre-evolutions that could start to link families of pokemon. One example would be a regional Tyrogue that only evolves into Sawk and Throh and not the Hitmons (maybe something for a Gen 5 remake). This would effectively classify Sawk and Throh as regional evolutions in a sense. Granted, that would be mostly fan-service and maybe pointless, but it would be a clever way of expanding the connection between similar pokemon and the benefits of evolution or pre-evolution without giving them an entirely new Pokemon to fit that role.

Who knows, maybe in the future we regional variants can expand into "ancient forms" showing how pokemon were in the past, linking to their modern forms. Regional variants really help add to the lore and world-building. I'm excited to see what comes in terms of Galarian forms.

KKS-Lapras

Bug/Electric Variant of Venomoth where it's wings glow with a luminescent effect and when it uses Electric attacks it electricity builds between it's antennae and it's wings glow brighter.

uncleben85

Hakking
With that glitch on the Pokémon website, very first thing I thought of was a regional variant on cubone/marowak, making it military theme.

The pixelated image looks like it could be right, but also if there is a Pokémon who could be described as steadfast, going through a lot of tough battles and wanting to retire... It's a heartbroken veteran marowak!

aa_623

With that glitch on the Pokémon website, very first thing I thought of was a regional variant on cubone/marowak, making it military theme.

The pixelated image looks like it could be right, but also if there is a Pokémon who could be described as steadfast, going through a lot of tough battles and wanting to retire... It's a heartbroken veteran marowak!
That could be, though I know some people are thinking it's Farfetch'd or its evolution.

Kirinriki

Double Trouble
Going by the colours, I'd say that the pixellated Pokémon in question could very well be Sirfetch'd, the evolved form of Farfetch'd.

Not only that, according to someone on the Bulbagarden Forums, part of the mystery Pokémon’s name is showing on the Japanese website, ナイト (naito), which translates to knight. For reference, Farfetch’d’s Japanese name is カモネギ, Kamonegi. However, I haven’t seen the mystery ‘mon’s page on the Japanese website to know if that’s actually true.