• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

Kingudora

My favourite
Not only that, according to someone on the Bulbagarden Forums, part of the mystery Pokémon’s name is showing on the Japanese website, ナイト (naito), which translates to knight. For reference, Farfetch’d’s Japanese name is カモネギ, Kamonegi. However, I haven’t seen the mystery ‘mon’s page on the Japanese website to know if that’s actually true.
It's true.
sLyDhGO.png
Here is its page

I guess its full japanese name will be カモナイトKamonaito.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
What are the chances that Sirfetch’d will have Stance Change for its HA? It’d definitely work for it thematically, but they’d have to change a lot about it in terms of stats.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I'm actually looking forward to yet another Ninetales situation; a regional form that lives in snowy-mountains and becomes a part-Ice type through climate adaptation.

We had a Ice/Fairy fox. What about a Dark/Ice Mightyena resembling a Saber Tooth/Snow Leopard?

Akashin

What are the chances that Sirfetch’d will have Stance Change for its HA? It’d definitely work for it thematically, but they’d have to change a lot about it in terms of stats.

I was going to comment on the unlikelihood of such an ability that would be a major focal point of the Pokemon being HA only, but I guess Zen Mode is a thing. I'm all for this.

Kingudora

My favourite
I was going to comment on the unlikelihood of such an ability that would be a major focal point of the Pokemon being HA only, but I guess Zen Mode is a thing. I'm all for this.
If nothing else, King's Shield would be a fitting move for it.

Gargoss

Hotshot
I think what we need to be considering is whether having a Galarian Form is a pre-requisite for a Pokémon to get an unseen Evolution in SwSh - it's likely Game Freak's explanation for them not being able to evolve in earlier Generations, so the reveal of Sirfetch'd means that we may also get a Galarian Form of Farfetch'd as well!

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think what we need to be considering is whether having a Galarian Form is a pre-requisite for a Pokémon to get an unseen Evolution in SwSh - it's likely Game Freak's explanation for them not being able to evolve in earlier Generations, so the reveal of Sirfetch'd means that we may also get a Galarian Form of Farfetch'd as well!
Especially considering that it would be extremely drastic for a Normal/Flying type to evolve into a pure Fighting type.

aa_623

Especially considering that it would be extremely drastic for a Normal/Flying type to evolve into a pure Fighting type.
It would be a drastic change to go from a dual-type to a single type and that hasn't been done before, which I think would be so cool to have happen. IRL Evolution doesn't always just add "positive" traits and remove "negative", it can take away "positive" too, like STAB, if something else is favored. Aggron loses its Rock-type upon Mega Evolving (which in addition to Digivolving, I just realized Mega Evolving is also very similar to the ultimate aliens in Ben 10). The introduction of regional forms was a huge step for Gamefreak in mixing in more scientific concepts in how evolution actually works. The riddle does say that the Pokemon needs to "survive" a certain amount of battles.

I would love it if it's regular, Normal/Flying Farfetch'd that evolves, but I'm here for a Galarian one too. However, I wrote a few posts about this in the General Discussion thread. We have 3 Pokemon that completely change their types upon evolving: Eevee, Cubone, and Azurill (Pre-Fairy type). Why not have more?

Maybe similar to Marowak becoming Fire/Ghost (I wish they'd just make OG Marowak Ground/Ghost) to protect its young from an abundance of Grass-types, Farfetch'd pushed itself to fight harder in battles due to an abundance of Rock-types and became pure Fighting. It would lose the Flying to avoid the Rock weakness. Rock resists Normal so if Farfetch'd was faced with too many Rock-types, having Normal STAB doesn't benefit it and it would have no reason to carry it into a new evolved form.

We've also had location-based evolution before. I could see them having some Pokemon evolve into a new pkmn with the only condition being that they are in the Galar region. Similar to Pikachu, Exeggucute, and Cubone (though it also requires night) in Alola. It is also currently impossible to evolve Eevee into Glaceon and Leafeon, Magneton into Magnezone, and Nosepass into Probopass (Vikavolt would fall into this as well) in Johto or Kanto, effectively making them regional evolutions, but only to certain regions. Having region-locked evolutions is an easy way for Gamefreak to avoid having to come up with new methods of evolving or complete new forms.

Volcaronick

Not just galarian forms, but some regional forms I had in mind. A couple of these a friend actually drew for me and if I can figure out how to post them here I would. Ones marked with * have concept drawings.

Grimer- Fairy. Think cute blobby bubblegum monster*

Muk - Fairy/Dark- Think giant blobby bubblegum monster with random trash and items covering it. Sort of like Patricks giant bubblegum in Spongebob*

Drowzee- Ground/Fairy Lawn Gnome*

Hypno- Ground/Fairy Lawn Gnome*

Smoochum- Fairy/Flying- Humanoid pixie type of thing with a wand. Think Tinerbell.

Jynx- Fairy/Flying- Based on a Fairy Godmother

Togepi- Poison- Based on the "Bad Egg" glitch.*

Togetic- Poison/Ghost- The Bad egg Togepi evolves and gets glitched out. Part of its wings are pixelated so it can not fly.*

Togekiss- Poison/Ghost- I mean, I don't know what else to say other than glitchy Togetic evolved....Yeah.*

Comfey- Fire- Its lei thing turns into a burning ring of fireballs.

Bounsweet- Steel- Based on a cannonball.

Steenee- Steel/Fighting- Sort of keeps its ballerina look but is now Silver/Metallic with armor

Tsareena- Steel/Fighting- Sort of the same concept as Steenee, but evolved. I don't know. Lol.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It would be a drastic change to go from a dual-type to a single type and that hasn't been done before, which I think would be so cool to have happen. IRL Evolution doesn't always just add "positive" traits and remove "negative", it can take away "positive" too, like STAB, if something else is favored. Aggron loses its Rock-type upon Mega Evolving (which in addition to Digivolving, I just realized Mega Evolving is also very similar to the ultimate aliens in Ben 10). The introduction of regional forms was a huge step for Gamefreak in mixing in more scientific concepts in how evolution actually works. The riddle does say that the Pokemon needs to "survive" a certain amount of battles.

I would love it if it's regular, Normal/Flying Farfetch'd that evolves, but I'm here for a Galarian one too. However, I wrote a few posts about this in the General Discussion thread. We have 3 Pokemon that completely change their types upon evolving: Eevee, Cubone, and Azurill (Pre-Fairy type). Why not have more?

Maybe similar to Marowak becoming Fire/Ghost (I wish they'd just make OG Marowak Ground/Ghost) to protect its young from an abundance of Grass-types, Farfetch'd pushed itself to fight harder in battles due to an abundance of Rock-types and became pure Fighting. It would lose the Flying to avoid the Rock weakness. Rock resists Normal so if Farfetch'd was faced with too many Rock-types, having Normal STAB doesn't benefit it and it would have no reason to carry it into a new evolved form.

We've also had location-based evolution before. I could see them having some Pokemon evolve into a new pkmn with the only condition being that they are in the Galar region. Similar to Pikachu, Exeggucute, and Cubone (though it also requires night) in Alola. It is also currently impossible to evolve Eevee into Glaceon and Leafeon, Magneton into Magnezone, and Nosepass into Probopass (Vikavolt would fall into this as well) in Johto or Kanto, effectively making them regional evolutions, but only to certain regions. Having region-locked evolutions is an easy way for Gamefreak to avoid having to come up with new methods of evolving or complete new forms.
To date, they've never had a dual typed Pokemon drop both types in favor of a single, completely different type upon evolution.

aa_623

To date, they've never had a dual typed Pokemon drop both types in favor of a single, completely different type upon evolution.
Yes, I am aware, but it doesn't mean it can't happen. There's a first time for everything. We didn't have a pure Flying-type until Gen 5 and didn't have a primary Flying/Dual-type until Gen 6 (Noibat/Noivern). I would love for Gamefreak to shake things up like this, and if it's a new-region-only evolution, why not? Maybe it can't know Fly in order to evolve? They can be creative and whimsical.

Last edited:

KKS-Lapras

Not just galarian forms, but some regional forms I had in mind. A couple of these a friend actually drew for me and if I can figure out how to post them here I would. Ones marked with * have concept drawings.

Grimer- Fairy. Think cute blobby bubblegum monster*

Muk - Fairy/Dark- Think giant blobby bubblegum monster with random trash and items covering it. Sort of like Patricks giant bubblegum in Spongebob*

Smoochum- Fairy/Flying- Humanoid pixie type of thing with a wand. Think Tinerbell.

Jynx- Fairy/Flying- Based on a Fairy Godmother

Togepi- Poison- Based on the "Bad Egg" glitch.*

Togetic- Poison/Ghost- The Bad egg Togepi evolves and gets glitched out. Part of its wings are pixelated so it can not fly.*

Togekiss- Poison/Ghost- I mean, I don't know what else to say other than glitchy Togetic evolved....Yeah.*

Comfey- Fire- Its lei thing turns into a burning ring of fireballs.

Bounsweet- Steel- Based on a cannonball.

Steenee- Steel/Fighting- Sort of keeps its ballerina look but is now Silver/Metallic with armor

Tsareena- Steel/Fighting- Sort of the same concept as Steenee, but evolved. I don't know. Lol.

These are all creative. The bubblegum idea for Grimer/Muk is neat. Lawn Gnomes are generally kind of creep, so that idea works for Drowzee/Hypno. Smoochum as Tinkerbell, I can picture that. Jynx as a Fairy Godmother makes sense. The Togepi "Bad Egg" glitch idea, cool, or just rotten eggs in general, just thinking of it I can recall that awful smell, or taste from those joke Jelly Beans with terrible flavors, yuck. The Poison/Ghost Togetic/Togekiss idea, interesting design potential. Comfey as Bug/Fire, that could be interesting design wise. Bounsweet, I can picture where you're going, but for Steenee and Tsareena, I for some reason see it sticking more Grass/Steel instead.

lerdoug

I like your idea for Drowzee line, they really need a revamp.

Some of my wishes:

- Sunflora: Grass/Fire. Has a Galarian Evolution.
- Ninjask: Bug/Ground. Evolves from normal Nincada, but keep Shedinja as a coat and lives in the ground. Excellent in defensive, but much slower. Shedinja aren't available.
- Sableye: Ghost/Steel, greed. Has a Gigantamax form, sitting in a giant pile of faux gold and controling it.
- Herdier, Stoutland: Ground/Fighting - Taller, Airedale Terrier breed. Stoutland has a lot less fur, but still has a great (but not that great) mustache. Used as police dog.
- Bouffalant - Grass/Water, a mix of English Longhorn, Water Buffalo and a Highland Cattle and lillypads and moss in the wet fur.
- Sandygast, Palossand - Ghost/Rock, medieval castle themed.

Last edited:

Volcaronick

I would also like to add that the same guy that drew my concept ideas for Togepi/Grimer/Drowzee line also did a concept drawing for a regional form of Trubbish and Garbodor that are Ghost/Fairy type based on Voodoo dolls (with pins sticking out of them). Not my idea.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
A Galarian Dragon Dunsparce with a Dragon/Fairy evolution. All the new evolutions seem to be tied to Galarian forms only.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Since we are getting close to the release, here's my stat guesses for the revealed Regional Variants and Evolutions.

Regular Koffing: 40/65/95/60/45/35, BST: 340
Regular Weezing: 65/90/120/85/70/60, BST: 490
Galarian Weezing: 75(+10)/80(-10)/120/75(-10)/90(+20)/50(-10), BST:490

I suspect Galarian Weezing is going to be much more Defensively oriented, by having a respectable Special Defense. I suspect both base Weezing and Galarian Weezing will have +10 BST to match Muk's 500 BST, so the adjusted stats should look like this.

Regular Weezing: 75(+10)/90/120/85/70/60, BST: 500
Galarian Weezing: 75/80(-10)/120/75(-10)/90(+20)/60(--), BST:500

For Sirfetch'd,

Regular Farfetch'd: 52/90/55/58/58/62/60, BST: 377
Sirfetch'd: 72(+20)/125(+35)/90(+45)/58(--)/95(+33)/50(-10), BST: 500(+123)

Pretty substandard for a early Fighting-type. Its lower Speed is meant to homage other cross-gen evos such as Electivire, Magmortar and Scizor, who lose Speed in exchange for Defense. Its higher Defense is for its shield. If a Galarian Farfetch'd exists, its stats will be adjusted accordingly.

For Galarian Zigzagoon
Regular Zigzagoon: 38/30/41/30/41/60, BST: 240
Galarian Zigzagoon: 38/30/41/30/41/60, BST: 240

Base Zigzagoon is pretty pathetic, even compared to other rodents. Much like Alolan Ratata, base forms are the same.

Regular Linoone: 78/70/61/60/50/61/100, BST: 420
Galarian Linoone: 78/90(+20)/61/50/61/80(-20), BST: 420

Unlike Alolan Raticate there is not much change here. As Galarian Linoone is a middle stage, it loses access to a 100 base stat, instead gaining a nice Attack boost to work with Eviolite.

Obstagoon: 88(+10)/120(+30)/81(+20)/70(+20)/81(+20)/60(-20), BST: 500(+80)

Obstagoon loses a substantial amount of Speed to gain more Special Attack, becoming a very rounded Pokémon, too rounded to be competitively viable, but also too rounded to be removed any in-game team.

Edit: Slightly re-adjusted Sirfetch'd, as official material confirms it has 62 base HP:

Regular Farfetch'd: 52/90/55/58/58/62/60, BST: 377
Sirfetch'd: 62(+10)/125(+35)/90(+45)/58(--)/95(+33)/60(--), BST: 500(+123)

Last edited:

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I’m not convinced that Farfetch’d isn’t getting a Galarian form, but if they didn’t want to do that but still limit the evolution to “the Farfetch’d of the Galar region” they could pull a Rockruff and make it so only Farfetch’d with a new ability could evolve into Sirfetch’d. Based on the evolution’s flavor text, Moxie perhaps?