• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
This is true but the legend of the unicorn often has it living deep in ancient woods and forests which is where fairies and nymphs typically live. So I can see how a unicorn Pokémon could be a Fairy Type.
It wouldn't make sense for Galarian Ponyta to be weak to Poison because of the lore surrounding unicorns and G-Ponyta's signature ability.

BlackShadowRose

The Lost one.
This is true but the legend of the unicorn often has it living deep in ancient woods and forests which is where fairies and nymphs typically live. So I can see how a unicorn Pokémon could be a Fairy Type.

If with go with that is had a equal chance of getting a grass type. I am hopping for a shock in its evolution(Rapidash). Lest get a Alicorn (physic/flying) or Hippocampus (physic/water) Shock me game freak!!!

DannyDark

I think it's just another case for the, arguably problematic, ambiguity of the Fairy-type.

Also.. Unicorns being able to cure Poison doesn't really have any sway over it being a type that is good against Poison in Pokemon.
Hell, we've got got a Camel Pokemon that is horrifically weak to Water, when in real life Camels are incredibly efficient with their use of water and the amount they can drink in one go.

Real life =/= Pokemon, logic isn't really applicable as a general rule.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think it's just another case for the, arguably problematic, ambiguity of the Fairy-type.

Also.. Unicorns being able to cure Poison doesn't really have any sway over it being a type that is good against Poison in Pokemon.
Hell, we've got got a Camel Pokemon that is horrifically weak to Water, when in real life Camels are incredibly efficient with their use of water and the amount they can drink in one go.

Don’t forget about the Hippo Pokémon weakto Water attacks despite real life hippos being semiaquatic. Or the mud fish that is weak to Water.

Kingudora

My favourite
Don’t forget about the Hippo Pokémon weakto Water attacks despite real life hippos being semiaquatic. Or the mud fish that is weak to Water.
Or a family of Gharial crocodiles.

Also, speaking of Sudowoodo, it would be kinda funny if there was regional variant of Bonsly/Sudowoodo that was part Grass. Like a part of the species never started their petrification process through evolution, and remained regular tree pokémon.

Julia Artemis

So here's what my top ten Galarian forms would be for this game. Only included gens 1-3 because I don't think we'll see new forms of the later gens until next gen at the earliest and Johto and Hoenn pokemon need the most help

Kingler (Ground/Steel)
Jynx and evo (Psychic/Fairy)
Dunsparce and evo (Ground/Fairy)
Girafarig and evo (Psychic/Dark)
Ledian and evo (Steel/Fighting)
Ariados and evo (Bug/Ghost)
Qwilfish and evo (Water/Steel)
Mightyena and evo (Dark/Fairy)
Crawdaunt (Water/Bug)
Delcatty (Fairy)

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Will do that too:
- G.Poochyena line based on spotted hyena (Ground/Fighting)
- G.Kingler (Water/Steel)
- Volbeat and Illumise evos (Bug/Dark)
- Dunsparce evo (Dragon/Ghost)
- G.Heatmor based on giant anteater (whatever type)
- G.Arbok (Poison/Dragon)
- G.Parasect (Bug/Psychic)
- G.Primeape (Psychic/Fairy)
- G.Machoke line (Fighting/Dragon)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
G. Ponyta being Psychic and Shield exclusive pretty much killed my interest in this Pokemon. I'll still trade for it, it's an interesting Pokemon, but I don't really want one on my team.

JW1004

I don't mind Ponyta being Psychic, I just hope it either gets enough physical psychic moves to make benefit of the typing, along with moves like Play Rough, High Horse Power etc. or gets a complete stat distribution based on special attack and can benefit from Energy ball, Psychic, some Fairy moves etc.

I am curious for Rapidash, though I hope we see some more of these suprises, along with more regional-only evolutions.
I still want to see some more stand-alone Pokémon getting evolutions.

I still see potential for Basculin with the potential of the two colors evolving in two completely different Pokémon that only can happen because of the water in the Galar region.
Maybe a sea serpent inspired one that is Water/Dragon and one that evolves in a more majestic sea creature that is Water/Fairy.
Maybe a Water/Steel Corsola + evolution that evolved to defend itself from other water creatures.
Maybe have Volbeat and Illumise and have one evolve in a Bug/Fire and the other one in a Bug/Electric or even change the types completely and turn both in Fairies and one being Fairy/Electric and one Fairy/Fire and give them both an evolution

Also they could give Feebas the oppertunity to evolve in something different because of the food in the Galar region or even have Milotic become something like a Dragon/Ice type.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’ve always wanted a Poison/Psychic Snake Pokemon and a Galarian Arbok with this unique typing could work out well. The idea is that Arbok mainly uses hypnotic powers to lure its prey similarly to Kaa from Disney’s The Jungle Book. Arbok can also teleport at will And in battle, it likes to jump around teleporting very quickly and strikes so fast that it’s opponent has a very difficult time getting a hit because it keeps teleporting faster than the eye can see.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I’ve always wanted a Poison/Psychic Snake Pokemon and a Galarian Arbok with this unique typing could work out well. The idea is that Arbok mainly uses hypnotic powers to lure its prey similarly to Kaa from Disney’s The Jungle Book. Arbok can also teleport at will And in battle, it likes to jump around teleporting very quickly and strikes so fast that it’s opponent has a very difficult time getting a hit because it keeps teleporting faster than the eye can see.
God danggit now I want an Arbok like this too. I know my best friend would love something like that as she's a fan of Kaa and anything that reminds her of him.

Luthor

I don't mind Ponyta being Psychic, I just hope it either gets enough physical psychic moves to make benefit of the typing, along with moves like Play Rough, High Horse Power etc. or gets a complete stat distribution based on special attack and can benefit from Energy ball, Psychic, some Fairy moves etc.

I suspect they will focus on special moves. The official reveal showed it using a beam like attack and I think this was a deliberate choice. Plus from a practical perspective Psychic doesn't have many great physical moves. Easy to switch its stats up.

Last edited:

Sponge

I was thinking a Galarian Cofagrigus based on an iron maiden would be so cool. I'd imagine it would be Ghost/Steel.

The concept of the iron maiden originated in Europe during the middle ages. Though a sneaky reason to have it appear in the Galar region could be as a nod to the heavy metal band Iron Maiden, who originated in the UK.

Cofagrigus is my favourite Pokemon....and I'm not sure how likely an egyptian sarcophagus is to appear in a region based on the UK. So I'm crossing my fingers the reason we haven't seen it yet is because it's getting a regional variant.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I suspect they will focus on special moves. The official reveal showed it using a beam like attack and I think this was a deliberate choice. Plus from a practical perspective Psychic doesn't have many great physical moves. Easy to switch its stats up.
Yeah tbh they can just switch its Physical stat with its Sp. Attack stat up so that it has a higher edge with its Psychic abilities (Given those fall more into the special range and all like you said). It's a very easy change. Maybe even sacrifice/trade some physical power for Special too, that way it gets more Special Attack power yet keep the stat total the same.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Galarian Ponyta totally looks like Princess Celestia with no wings. And the timing of its confirmation was good; the series finale of MLP:FiM airs this weekend. It could be a coincidence, but it's interesting nonetheless.

It's most likely a coincidence, but it would be pretty interesting if the reason they timed Galarian Ponyta for around now is to get it out there before said series finale. It's a shame it had to end right around the time of the unicorn craze too, but they probably kept the hsow going for as long as they could. That being said, I don't see quite so much unicorn stuff as there used to be, but then again, Galarian Ponyta's color scheme, with pastel blues, pinks, and purples, reflects that moreso than My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

Or Cadence or Flurry Heart. They also have similar Mane colors.

Princess Celestia had similar colors when she was younger as well. She didn't get the blues and greens on her until she became princess.

3HsRrNs.png

Well, to be fair, camels probably don't take well to being splashed with large amounts of water, whereas I'm sure even Camerupt has to drink water every now and then. Then again, being a Fire-type, Camerupt might not necessarily drink water, considering the Pokédex makes mention of some Electric-types getting sustenance from electricity (like Joltik and Togedemaru) and some Rock- and Steel-types subsisting entirely on minerals (like Larvitar and Aron).

On the other hand, Galarian Ponyta explicitly has poison-healing powers via Pastel Veil. Curing poison is an intrinsic part of this Pokémon.

I was thinking a Galarian Cofagrigus based on an iron maiden would be so cool. I'd imagine it would be Ghost/Steel.

The concept of the iron maiden originated in Europe during the middle ages. Though a sneaky reason to have it appear in the Galar region could be as a nod to the heavy metal band Iron Maiden, who originated in the UK.

Cofagrigus is my favourite Pokemon....and I'm not sure how likely an egyptian sarcophagus is to appear in a region based on the UK. So I'm crossing my fingers the reason we haven't seen it yet is because it's getting a regional variant.

So long as it keeps Mummy, I'm happy. Then again, I used Mummy online to deal with Mega Kangaskhan (and most people, like complete idiots, Mega Evolved Kangaskhan immediately instead of taking advantage of Scrappy for a turn), and without Mega Evolutions, would require a different focus from me.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.

Cofagrigus is possibly out, but if GF wanted any particular reason to put it in a UK based region (not that they'd need one) then there's 1800's Egyptomania, where sarcophagi and mummies were bought from tomb robbers and taken to Europe.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Cofagrigus is possibly out, but if GF wanted any particular reason to put it in a UK based region (not that they'd need one) then there's 1800's Egyptomania, where sarcophagi and mummies were bought from tomb robbers and taken to Europe.
Not to mention there was literally a rich person’s party game where partygoers grabbed a mummy’s bandages and then they pulled on them until they broke and whomever had the longest piece won the game. Hundreds of mummies were destroyed this way.

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
Not to mention there was literally a rich person’s party game where partygoers grabbed a mummy’s bandages and then they pulled on them until they broke and whomever had the longest piece won the game. Hundreds of mummies were destroyed this way.
What?! That’s so disrespectful. Wtf.

mozao

this wasn't in my horoscope
my galarian form ideas:

Butterfree (Bug/Ghost) - design based on Purple Emperor and Owl Butterfly. little wordplay because a ghost is free from the shackles of a body

Furret's evolution (Normal/Ground)

Sunkern and Sunflora (Grass/Fire)

Slugma (Poison) and Magcargo (Poison/Steel) - a bit bothered by 'magma' in their names but we have alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash

Remoraid (Water/Electric) and Octillery (Water/Fire)

Stantler (Normal/Psychic)

Spoink and Grumpig (Ground)

Trapinch (Bug), Vibrava and Flygon (Bug/Dragon)

Shuppet (Normal) and Banette (Normal/Fairy) - regular, cute toy/doll. again, weird name situation

Luvdisc's evolution (Water/Flying)

---

fun thought: imagine Eevee and all its evolutions gaining galarian forms