• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
I can see why that might at first glance seem like the case, but I feel like there's something different about them that we're not seeing at first glance. Anybody else have an idea why they're "Different" instead of just the alt form? Galar meowth even evolves at the same level

sketchersmeargle

I can see why that might at first glance seem like the case, but I feel like there's something different about them that we're not seeing at first glance. Anybody else have an idea why they're "Different" instead of just the alt form? Galar meowth even evolves at the same level

Well seems lore wise, Meowth was hardened by life with seafaring people, thus its an extreme adaptive evolution. As for Runerigus, seems an actual cursed tablet has taken over Yamask and uses it for a host body to take on soemthing akin to the curses desired form. hence Runerigus and why its evolution method is kinda detailed.

NeedsAName

So this conversation is nearly dead. Anyways, I like the regional variants we got in Galar, although I feel we could have gotten more. Also, we got regional variants for Pokemon from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Unova, with Sinnoh, Kalos, and Alola getting none. Alola and Kalos make sense as they were pretty recent, but I hope the reason for no Sinnoh pokemon getting Galarian forms was that we'll be getting Sinnoh remakes. I really hope Sinnoh remakes happen and give us a bunch of Sinnohan forms. My wishlist for sinnohan forms:
  • Two or three fire-type lines. This was a major problem in DP, and was sort of fixed but not really in Platinum
  • At least 15 Sinnohan forms. Alola gave us 16 regional variants, while Galar had 13. 15 is a nice average, but >20 would be preferable
  • Forms for Kalosian and Alolan pokemon that really didn't get in the spotlight (with a few older Pokemon). Pokemon like Barbaracle, Carbink, Avalugg, Pyukumuku, Komala, and Bruxish that people acknowledged but weren't really notable
  • Adds evolutions like Galar: Mr. Rime, Sirfetch'd, and Cursola were great ideas. Carbink, Pyukumuku, and Komala could definitely benefit from an evolution both stat-wise and design-wise
  • At least one dragon-type line that can be obtained early-on, maybe before Gardenia's gym. Sinnoh's pokedex had exactly two non-legendary dragon-type lines: Gible/Gabite/Garchomp, and Altaria. I'd like a Bug/Dragon-type Dunsparce, but something else could work
  • No water-type variants! We have way too many water-types already, and old Pokemon becoming Water-type would be frustrating. Same with other common-types, like Flying and Grass. I'd like less common types, like Ice, Ghost, Fairy, Dragon, and Electric, which need more love
  • At least two gym leaders having team changes and using new regional variants. Imagine going up against Fantina and seeing a Ghost/Fighting Bewear ready to wreck your dark-types. Or facing Volkner and he first sends out an Electric-type Gogoat. That would be kind of cool to see
  • Don't give forms to Pokemon that already have unique type-combos, like Diggersby or the Zubat line. I'm looking at you, Stunfisk

Last edited:

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I'm not sure how I feel about Galarian Slowpoke, its design and the explanation as to how it became a regional variant are both a bit lame to me. It ate some seeds, bits of it turned yellow, and for some reason it lost its Water typing even though it still lives near water. Nevertheless, I'm still eager to see what Galarian Slowbro and Slowking look like.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

I'm not sure how I feel about Galarian Slowpoke, its design and the explanation as to how it became a regional variant both sound a bit lame to me. It ate some seeds, bits of it turned yellow, and for some reason it lost its Water typing even though it still lives near water. Nevertheless, I'm still eager to see what Galarian Slowbro and Slowking look like.

I don't mind the berry explanations, changes in diet and dependence on a specific food source can drive evolution, just look at Koalas. As to it losing its water typing, probably so that they can give Slowking and Slowbro a different type combination.

But I agree that the design is a bit "meh" hopefully Slowking and Slowbro will look better.

From the colour of Slowking's collar in the preview and the idea that it's specific berries who drive this variant I'm guessing Psychic/Poison BTW

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I'm not sure how I feel about Galarian Slowpoke, its design and the explanation as to how it became a regional variant are both a bit lame to me.

They are a bit lame, but I'm willing to give it a free pass because:
1: A like it's design a little more than the original, the yellow adds to the design.
2: I think the minor changes and the unexplained losing of the water type are because the Slowbro and Slowking are both gonna be part Psychic part something else and go in very different directions.
3: I'm sure that both the Slowbro and Slowking will be more drastic changes with interesting designs and themeing. (I'm guessing that one of them will be Psychic/Poison to fit with the Armor Isle Rivals , though I originally guessed that G-slowpoke itself would have that typing for the same reason.)

Edit: Kinda Shedninja'd but oh well.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I can't say that Galarian Yadon (Slowpoke) intrigues me. I'm not a fan of regional variants to begin with so maybe I'm a little biased, but I'm struggling to see the good in this particular Galarian form. Did anyone really want this?

Orphalesion

but I'm struggling to see the good in this particular Galarian form. Did anyone really want this?

Did anybody want Dugtrio with 1970s hair? And again, there's a chance that Slowbro/king will have better designs and vindicate the line. At the very least it will be interesting to see what Slowking's crown will be like, since no Shelder seem to be involved.

Orphalesion

What type combination do people think for the birds?

My guesses:

Moltres: Fire/Dark (that's the most obvious, imho)

Zapdos: No idea...Electric/Fighting maybe?

Arctos: hmmm This one could be Ice/Fairy, Ice/Psychic or even Ice/Ghost....

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
What type combination do people think for the birds?

My guesses:

Moltres: Fire/Dark (that's the most obvious, imho)

Zapdos: No idea...Electric/Fighting maybe?

Arctos: hmmm This one could be Ice/Fairy, Ice/Psychic or even Ice/Ghost....

Fire/Dark or Fire/Ghost for Moltres

Electric/Fighting or Electric/Dark for Zapdos

Ice/Fairy or Ice/Psychic for Articuno is my guess. I like the Fire/Ghost Electric/Dark Ice/Psychic trio the most tbh.

Gen82

I like that the 3 birds are getting regional variants. I always thought that they were just really rare pokemon instead of one of a kind mythical pokemon.