• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I like Levitate as an Ability, since it's one of those "simple and straightforward, yet useful" Abilities. Complicated stuff like Contary and (ironically) Simple are nice, but sometimes, all a Pokémon really needs is a permanent Air Balloon.

Luthor

I'd also like to see another regional variant get dragon typing that wasn't dragon typed before. Something like a regional variant of Arbok.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
Love these ideas. As I explained above, I don't mind having a specie with different regional variants, and much like Rattata, I think Geodude is a good candidate. Regarding Lycanroc, I actually wouldn't touch Rockruff, simply so the arctic Lycanroc doesn't have to deal with the dusk/night/day forms.

Regarding Girafarig, what I'd like more is it becoming Dark/Normal, as if it evolved to the point where the dark side took over the lighter side. :p Love the idea for Swalot (kinda similar to Guzzlord though, but it fits) and Tropius. For Luxray, that's a very good idea, but I'd make it ground/electric. I wouldn't touch Hippowdon as I really want a water hippo starter, but it could also work. I don't know why Chimecho didn't get the fairy type when it was introduced, and I think it makes more sense than having a regional variant that is fairy type. A more kawaii version of Drifblim that does not carry people only for them to go missing would work perfectly as a fairy flying type. :p And for Lopunny, it has a mega that is part fighting, so I don't really see the point.

The only reason why Chimecho didn’t get the Fairy type was because it was introduced in RSE and the Fairy type wouldn’t be in the game until Kalos and the Hoenn remakes.

The only reason why Chimecho didn’t get the Fairy type was because it was introduced in RSE and the Fairy type wouldn’t be in the game until Kalos and the Hoenn remakes.
The Ralts line and Mawile were also introduced in RSE and did gain the fairy type. As well as several gen 1 and 2 pokémon. So that shouldn't really be a factor.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Chimecho I have never imagined as it needing to be part Fairy. It really doesn’t scream the typing to me. Now the Chansey and Audino lines are different. I will never understand why a family of Pokémon that literally give luck and happiness to everyone around them aren’t Fairy types. Fairies are famous for giving luck and happiness to humans as well as grant wishes. Peter Pan says that Tinkerbell’s pixie dust allows those covered in it to fly by them thinking happy thoughts. Leprechauns are symbols of good luck and fortune. But Chansey and Blissey aren’t considered to be Fairies even though their eggs are literally filled with happiness and they willingly share them with others?

Orphalesion

Chimecho I have never imagined as it needing to be part Fairy. It really doesn’t scream the typing to me. Now the Chansey and Audino lines are different. I will never understand why a family of Pokémon that literally give luck and happiness to everyone around them aren’t Fairy types. Fairies are famous for giving luck and happiness to humans as well as grant wishes. Peter Pan says that Tinkerbell’s pixie dust allows those covered in it to fly by them thinking happy thoughts. Leprechauns are symbols of good luck and fortune. But Chansey and Blissey aren’t considered to be Fairies even though their eggs are literally filled with happiness and they willingly share them with others?

I agree, especially since Pokemon havily focuses on those fairy tropes where they are helpful and/or protectors. The Chansey line should have been a shoo in.
Honestly I would also have given Bellossom the fairy type, both to give it a bit of an "upgrade" from just being mono Grass and because it's basically a flower-fairy/nymph.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual

I figured the Chansey line didn’t get Fairy typing for balance. They already had a reputation for being OP, earned or not. I don’t think Game Freak wanted them to be dragon slayers now too.

As for Audino (mega form excluded), it would have been even better to add Fairy typing there, particularly to make it more than just a Chansey clone.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I figured the Chansey line didn’t get Fairy typing for balance. They already had a reputation for being OP, earned or not. I don’t think Game Freak wanted them to be dragon slayers now too.

As for Audino (mega form excluded), it would have been even better to add Fairy typing there, particularly to make it more than just a Chansey clone.

Well, Mega Audino is part Fairy, if it counts.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
What about Marill & Dedenne? I never really understood why they became Fairy types aside from being cute

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Well, Mega Audino is part Fairy, if it counts.
This actually brings up something else I was curious about, and I think it’s relevant here because 8th Gen gave us regional evolutions.

It’s hard to say, because they keep reappearing in spin-offs like Go and Mystery Dungeon. But if they’re trying to get away from Mega Evolution, could their concepts carry on through regional forms and evolutions?

Like say there’s a regional Audino that is both Normal/Fairy and has an evolution “with a suspicious link to a phenomenon from the Kalos/Hoenn region”. Some might have to have their types switched around like Mawile, but how many people back in the day complained that Mawile in particular needed a permanent evolution rather than just a temporary buff? This, in a way, solves that problem.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
While I know that it will never happen, I want a regional form of Eevee. I'm thinking ghost... since it's the antithesis of normal type. For better or worse, it would make all current Eeveelutions duel type. Flareon would be Ghost/Fire etc... Sylveon would end up with an interesting type combo under that scheme. Ghost/Fairy... Much like the Kantonian Eevee, the regional variant wouldn't have a ghost type Eeveelution in the same way that Eevee doesn't have a normal type Eeveelution.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
This actually brings up something else I was curious about, and I think it’s relevant here because 8th Gen gave us regional evolutions.

It’s hard to say, because they keep reappearing in spin-offs like Go and Mystery Dungeon. But if they’re trying to get away from Mega Evolution, could their concepts carry on through regional forms and evolutions?

Like say there’s a regional Audino that is both Normal/Fairy and has an evolution “with a suspicious link to a phenomenon from the Kalos/Hoenn region”. Some might have to have their types switched around like Mawile, but how many people back in the day complained that Mawile in particular needed a permanent evolution rather than just a temporary buff? This, in a way, solves that problem.

They might actually do something like that, considering Mega Audino turned out to be the least popular Mega Evolution in popularity polls, suggesting a total reworking.

We could also use something immune to both of Dragapult's types besides the Igglybuff line.