• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

JLK2707

I would agree assuming that there isn't another Lets Go game in the works. If there was they might again choose to focus on filling in gaps to that region. If there was a Lets Go based in Johto they might give more Ghost types. But otherwise, it could potentially be from any generation.

I would be ok with that too. The beta design is pretty cool.
Just yet another great point!:)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wouldn't mind new variants of Gen II species in these games honestly. I was against the idea months ago, but now I'm on board. I don't want too many however, just a dozen or so.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Several regional variants of Vanilluxe. Each regional variant represents a different flavor. Unova of course represents vanilla but Kanto could represent rocky road, Johto strawberry, Hoenn caramel, Sinnoh fruit-blocks.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Variants I want to see are Sandyghast line becoming Ghost/Rock with Sandyghast being a possessed stone brick and Palosand being a miniature moving stone castle, Druddigon getting a more color coordinated scheme and look oking more like a medieval dragon, Lapras getting much larger and has a longer neck and having a bit of green coloration on its body and it becomes pure Water, the Misdreavus line turning a pale green with a glowing red aura surrounding them to make them more banshee like and they gaming the Fairy typing, and Glameow and Purrugly getting a Manx cat look that relies heavily on curling their bodies to attack and they can learn Defense Curl and Rollout by level up.

JLK2707

Several regional variants of Vanilluxe. Each regional variant represents a different flavor. Unova of course represents vanilla but Kanto could represent rocky road, Johto strawberry, Hoenn caramel, Sinnoh fruit-blocks.[/QUOTE
Several regional variants of Vanilluxe. Each regional variant represents a different flavor. Unova of course represents vanilla but Kanto could represent rocky road, Johto strawberry, Hoenn caramel, Sinnoh fruit-blocks.

Just excellent choices!:)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Variants I want to see are Sandyghast line becoming Ghost/Rock with Sandyghast being a possessed stone brick and Palosand being a miniature moving stone castle, Druddigon getting a more color coordinated scheme and look oking more like a medieval dragon, Lapras getting much larger and has a longer neck and having a bit of green coloration on its body and it becomes pure Water, the Misdreavus line turning a pale green with a glowing red aura surrounding them to make them more banshee like and they gaming the Fairy typing, and Glameow and Purrugly getting a Manx cat look that relies heavily on curling their bodies to attack and they can learn Defense Curl and Rollout by level up.
That sounds like a fun idea. You know what would be a cool scientific play on regional variants. On one location, there's just these regular Dragon-Type Druddigons but on another location, there's this exclusive regional variant of Druddigon, a dragon-flying type Druddigon who has these huge flying wings and a skinnier lighter body.

derekrandall

I hope they round it out and give us a handful of regional variants from each generation. Even if it’s just like 2-3 from each one that will be a solid 14-21 new Pokémon that are Galar forms. The possibilities are endless and I think it’ll be a really big mistake on GF’s part to let regionals die with Alola/Gen 7.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I'm torn on which of these I would prefer, so that being said.....

North Galarian Skiddo/Gogoat
Grass/Ice
South Galarian Skiddo/Gogoat
Grass/Rock

The Skiddo and Gogoat of Galar differ from their Kalos cousins. They have been allowed to live in the wild and this has given them adaptations for their environment. In the southern rocky areas they have horns and skulls of stone and they are known to headbutt boulders as shows of strength.
In the northern cold their horns have iced over and it's said their grassy pelts can handle the coldest of blizzards. Regardless of then part of Galar they are found in the Skiddo play happily.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Galarian forms of Unova and Kalos Pokémon would be great, seeing as how both generations of Pokémon got heavily shafted of Megas (I’d like to think this isn’t my intense love for both of those regions/games at play). The US and France both have deep historical connections to England, so it wouldn’t be random either.

Fairy/Grass Lilligant (maybe one bred for the royal family or something), Flying/Steel Braviary (based on traditional house crests), Bug/Dark Galvantula (Black Widow spider based), and Poison/Fairy Florges (would fit right into the mushroom forest on the map) are some fun ideas.

keithpetrosky

A steel Ditto, or at least give it one other attack; conversion. It could change body color depending on its type. Kecleon should change color too or at least it’s stripe.

Alternate Shellder, like we see on Slowbro, and alternate cloyster. It could easily be steel/ice.

I still wish for a real “pikablue”, a water pikachu that learns surf.

Last edited:
Region variants in Alola only happen because Alola is in the tropics. Galar would be like a normal Sinnoh, Sinnoh doesn't have region variants!

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Region variants in Alola only happen because Alola is in the tropics. Galar would be like a normal Sinnoh, Sinnoh doesn't have region variants!
You don’t know that for sure with this timeline! Megas didn’t exist when the Gen 4 games were current yet we have Megas from Sinnoh such as Lucario and Garchomp.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Nowhere was it stated that regional variants were exclusive to Alola because of its tropical climate. Given that regional variants seem to be based on the real-world phenomenon of speciation, which can occur anywhere an isolated population exists, the idea that it's somehow limited to tropical climates because reasons seems unlikely.

You don’t know that for sure with this timeline! Megas didn’t exist when the Gen 4 games were current yet we have Megas from Sinnoh such as Lucario and Garchomp.
Megas were only accessible in Kalos. Then, Xerneas or some other thing spread it throughout the world, and that is after the events in pokemon platinum.

Nowhere was it stated that regional variants were exclusive to Alola because of its tropical climate. Given that regional variants seem to be based on the real-world phenomenon of speciation, which can occur anywhere an isolated population exists, the idea that it's somehow limited to tropical climates because reasons seems unlikely.
Alolan forms are caused by the sun if you were to look at LGPE's Pokedex entry of Alolan Exeggutor.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

Ok that's a fair perspective.... But think of it this way.

What about Pokemon more native to tropical climates, or desert climates, or cold tundra climates. Maybe when they get brought to Galar and deal with that climate they change. So the normal variant is more used to say the tropical climates, and being elsewhere causes it to gain a non-tropical variant.

Sorta like how A.Exeggutor is suggested to be the more natural variant, therefore other regions Exegguctor are the regional variant.

SoulRebel726

Sinnoh didn't have regional variants because Game Freak hadn't thought of that yet. I think we can get a little too caught up in lore sometimes. Regional forms is simply a game addition that the developer didn't add until the most recent gen. It doesn't have to meant that no other region should get regional forms.

Besides, if that were the case, why not just call them Alola forms? I think by calling them "regional", it implies that other regions can also have alternate forms. I'd much rather have Galar forms than some other mega/z-move type gimmick added.

Sinnoh didn't have regional variants because Game Freak hadn't thought of that yet. I think we can get a little too caught up in lore sometimes. Regional forms is simply a game addition that the developer didn't add until the most recent gen. It doesn't have to meant that no other region should get regional forms.

Besides, if that were the case, why not just call them Alola forms? I think by calling them "regional", it implies that other regions can also have alternate forms. I'd much rather have Galar forms than some other mega/z-move type gimmick added.
I know Japan just said Armored Mewtwo is an anime-only pokemon, I still think that Armored Evolutions will be a thing. I would not want any regional variants, I only like them in sun and moon.