• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So if GameFreak continues the suspecting regional variants trend, we might get Johto Pokemon, and some Kanto Pokemon, getting 8th gen regional variant forms. Personally I'd always wanted to see Typhlosion, Meganium and Feraligatr get their Delta Species variant types which are Ghost, Fighting and Electricity. However there's not really much to go on and no one is sure if regional variants will even make a return. It could be something like Mega Evolutions to make a certain generation feel more special.

So with that being said, let your mind go wild at the possibilities.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
One of the most frustrating things about Pokemon is how Game Freak just loves to throw away a new concept once the Generation it was introduced in is over. But they can't do that this time. They named this new mechanic "regional variants" with the Alola-specific ones being called "Alola Forms".

That basically confirms this is not unique to Alola and should exist in other regions. But then again, several Pokemon are said to have differing appearances between locations (Arbok and Gastrodon to name a few), but Game Freak either just stopped giving them slightly different designs or just never even bothered in the first place. They wrote themselves into a corner here with that naming scheme, so I'd appreciate it if they took advantage of it.

It'd certainly make up for the no new Alola Forms in USUM. And make them Gen II +, please.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Make regional variants...that aren't limited to Kanto. That is all.

Of all the cool concepts to make, why waste it on only gen 1 pokemon other than to cash in on nostalgia? There's so much more you can do with it and still make money! If they made it a variety of pokemon I guarantee you more people would be accepting of them. I want to see more of them that aren't just the 150 mons.

Zaide

My made up Pokémon region features regional variants for Pokémon from Hoenn that lack both Mega evolutions and cross-gen relatives. Like Flygon.
I've always wanted a Mega Flygon that is Bug/Dragon, like a lot of people, but it being a regional variant is much more interesting, IMO. Mostly because it makes a lot of sense. It's Dragon/Ground because it lives in the desert, but if in another region, they (Trapinch, Vibrava, Flygon) live in the forest, it would make so much sense that Flygon would have adapted to become Bug/Dragon, Vibrava Bug/Flying and Trapinch pure Bug (it has an insect look after all).

Luthor

I'm hoping for the regional variants to give pokemon the typings they probably should have had a while ago. (Psychic Golduck, Psychic Noctowl etc.)

M.P.

Retired
This concept was really underutilised in Gen 7, so I really hope they introduce new ones in Gen 8. Majority of them should be from other gens than the first one (Gens 2-5 especially). Some (mostly random) ideas:

Gen 2: Noctowl (Psychic/Flying), Ariados (Bug/Ghost), Granbull (Fighting), Ursaring (Fire)
Gen 3: Breloom (Poison/Fighting), Zangoose (Ice), Seviper (Psychic), Torkoal (Fire/Water)
Gen 4: Luxray (Dark/Electric), Roserade (Grass/Ghost) Drifblim (Ghost/Fire), Gliscor (Steel/Poison)
Gen 5: Swoobat (Rock/Flying), Krookodile (Water/Dark), Darmanitan (Ice), Lilligant (Grass/Fire)

I wouldn't mind if there were a couple of forms for Gen 1 Pokemon as well (I'd personally like to see Ekans (Water/Poison) and Ponyta (Fairy/Flying) lines as well as Nidoking (Poison/Fighting), as long as other generations get more.

buskalilly

As Gen VII only had introduced Kanto variants, to me it would make sense to see Johto monsters this time around, Hoenn the generation after and so on. Who knows, though, I certainly agree that Game Freak have a nasty habit of ditching mechanics.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I've always wanted a Mega Flygon that is Bug/Dragon, like a lot of people, but it being a regional variant is much more interesting, IMO. Mostly because it makes a lot of sense. It's Dragon/Ground because it lives in the desert, but if in another region, they (Trapinch, Vibrava, Flygon) live in the forest, it would make so much sense that Flygon would have adapted to become Bug/Dragon, Vibrava Bug/Flying and Trapinch pure Bug (it has an insect look after all).

Honestly that's the one thing I don't want. Give us a new Pokemon that goes Bug/Dragon (or give it to M.Yanmega).

What I'd love to see for Flygon line is the dragon living in different environments affecting it's /Ground typing in other ways.

Maybe a tropical Grass/Dragon Flygon.
A icy mountain top Ice/Dragon Flygon.
A volcanic Fire/Dragon Flygon.
A tempest storm Electric/Dragon Flygon.

The thing is Flygon is the "Mystic Pokemon" and referred to as a 'desert spirit's in alot of Dex entries, so I think giving it a chance to be called "the Forrest spirit" or "the tempest spirit" and what not would be really fitting for regional variants.

Luthor

This will probably not a popular opinion but I think one of the pokemon who already has an Alolan form may also get a regional form here too. Something to make them the face of regional forms as there is a different one in each region. If I'm right on this I would predict Rattata (and by extension Raticate) being the ones to do so as that saves them having to design another early normal type from scratch each time.

Zaide

Honestly that's the one thing I don't want. Give us a new Pokemon that goes Bug/Dragon (or give it to M.Yanmega).

What I'd love to see for Flygon line is the dragon living in different environments affecting it's /Ground typing in other ways.

Maybe a tropical Grass/Dragon Flygon.
A icy mountain top Ice/Dragon Flygon.
A volcanic Fire/Dragon Flygon.
A tempest storm Electric/Dragon Flygon.

The thing is Flygon is the "Mystic Pokemon" and referred to as a 'desert spirit's in alot of Dex entries, so I think giving it a chance to be called "the Forrest spirit" or "the tempest spirit" and what not would be really fitting for regional variants.
You can have a "forest spirit" that is bug type, as both grass and bug are fitting for this role. Moreover, bug is simply more logical than grass IMO, mostly because of one thing : Vibrava is already a bug type. From an "evolutionnary" perspective (which is what regional variants seem to be all about), it therefore makes a lot of sense that it would keep its bug typing upon evolving were it to live in a forest. Vibrava could also even lose its ground typing, if the whole line is to get regional variants.

And this wouldn't prevent a Pokémon like Yanmega from getting a dragon/bug mega in any way. Not to mention that "dragon"fly (from a language perspective) is only a thing in English and maybe a few other languages. In most of the languages I've looked (japanese, french, german, spanish, etc), there's no link made to dragons from the name. All in all, if there should only be one dragon/bug, Flygon (regional variant or mega) seems like a more fitting candidate than Yanmega.

This concept was really underutilised in Gen 7, so I really hope they introduce new ones in Gen 8. Majority of them should be from other gens than the first one (Gens 2-5 especially). Some (mostly random) ideas:

Gen 2: Noctowl (Psychic/Flying), Ariados (Bug/Ghost), Granbull (Fighting), Ursaring (Fire)
Gen 3: Breloom (Poison/Fighting), Zangoose (Ice), Seviper (Psychic), Torkoal (Fire/Water)
Gen 4: Luxray (Dark/Electric), Roserade (Grass/Ghost) Drifblim (Ghost/Fire), Gliscor (Steel/Poison)
Gen 5: Swoobat (Rock/Flying), Krookodile (Water/Dark), Darmanitan (Ice), Lilligant (Grass/Fire)

I wouldn't mind if there were a couple of forms for Gen 1 Pokemon as well (I'd personally like to see Ekans (Water/Poison) and Ponyta (Fairy/Flying) lines as well as Nidoking (Poison/Fighting), as long as other generations get more.
You can see some of these are indeed totally random! But I do like the idea for Noctowl (how it isn't already psychic is weird to me), Granbull (has the appearance), Breloom (maybe grass/poison would make more sense, but either way, it would be cool and could even get an exclusive priority or multi hit poison type move), Luxray (has the lore), Roserade (which is really an amazing idea that would stem from the idea of a dead rose I guess), Drifblim (would require levitate to have that typing) and Krookodile (they just moved from the desert to a river, basically).

And regarding Ponyta/Rapidash - I think it would be really cool for it to get a true unicorn form, with all the lore behind it (miracles, magic, etc.). In fact, it could even get "revered" to as a pseudo-mythical Pokémon in a new region, with maybe an area that emits strange powers that, on rare occasions, cause Ponyta/Rapidash eggs to produce this flying/fairy type Ponyta instead of the typical fire type. I think it would be a very original way of introducing a new variant, and I would even go as far as saying that I wouldn't mind if it got its BST boosted to 550 simply because it's a freaking kawaii unicorn.
This will probably not a popular opinion but I think one of the pokemon who already has an Alolan form may also get a regional form here too. Something to make them the face of regional forms as there is a different one in each region. If I'm right on this I would predict Rattata (and by extension Raticate) being the ones to do so as that saves them having to design another early normal type from scratch each time.
I don't see why it should be an unpopular opinion, because that's actually a very great idea regarding Rattata. Rats are known to be invasive and to adapt very well. And it wouldn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have to design new early normal types from scratch in every generation. They still had Yungoos and Gumshoos in SM, and with Rattatas coming out at night to avoid them, they gained a dark typing. I could definitely see Rattatas gaining poison typing or ground typing in other region. Maybe even fighting or water (because sewers).

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Just a couple of ideas I've had for new regional forms:
  • Hoothoot/Noctowl (Ice/Flying) - Would be based off the snowy owl and have an all white appearance. It'd mainly be found in frozen forests and plains.
  • Geodude/Graveler/Golem (Rock/Fire) - Would be based off volcanic rock and more fitting for an Alolan form than what we actually got. It's rocks would be a black obsidian with cracks of molten red magma visible.
  • Rockruff/Lycanroc (Ice) - Would be based off the arctic wolf. Has evolved to live in colder climates and covered its neck rocks in ice.

UD1

Ideas for regional variants:
Girafarig (Psychic/Dark): Give it a longer neck.
Swalot (Dark): IT DEVOURS!!
Flygon (Bug/Dragon): Self explanatory
Tropius (Grass/Dragon): A more feral than your average Tropius
Chimecho (Fairy): Purely because I don't get what's Psychic about wind chimes.
Lopunny (Fighting): Something, anything to make up for OG Lopunny's provocative design.
Luxray (Electric/Rock): Go full Egyptian sphinx style.
Hippowdon (Water/Ground): Happy hippos live in the water.
Drifblim (Fairy/Flying): It should be a crime for a Pokemon with 'Fuwa' in its Japanese name to be anything other than a fairy.

Zaide

Just a couple of ideas I've had for new regional forms:
  • Hoothoot/Noctowl (Ice/Flying) - Would be based off the snowy owl and have an all white appearance. It'd mainly be found in frozen forests and plains.
  • Geodude/Graveler/Golem (Rock/Fire) - Would be based off volcanic rock and more fitting for an Alolan form than what we actually got. It's rocks would be a black obsidian with cracks of molten red magma visible.
  • Rockruff/Lycanroc (Ice) - Would be based off the arctic wolf. Has evolved to live in colder climates and covered its neck rocks in ice.
Love these ideas. As I explained above, I don't mind having a specie with different regional variants, and much like Rattata, I think Geodude is a good candidate. Regarding Lycanroc, I actually wouldn't touch Rockruff, simply so the arctic Lycanroc doesn't have to deal with the dusk/night/day forms.
Ideas for regional variants:
Swalot (Dark): IT DEVOURS!!
Flygon (Bug/Dragon): Self explanatory
Tropius (Grass/Dragon): A more feral than your average Tropius
Chimecho (Fairy): Purely because I don't get what's Psychic about wind chimes.
Lopunny (Fighting): Something, anything to make up for OG Lopunny's provocative design.
Luxray (Electric/Rock): Go full Egyptian sphinx style.
Hippowdon (Water/Ground): Happy hippos live in the water.
Drifblim (Fairy/Flying): It should be a crime for a Pokemon with 'Fuwa' in its Japanese name to be anything other than a fairy.
Regarding Girafarig, what I'd like more is it becoming Dark/Normal, as if it evolved to the point where the dark side took over the lighter side. :p Love the idea for Swalot (kinda similar to Guzzlord though, but it fits) and Tropius. For Luxray, that's a very good idea, but I'd make it ground/electric. I wouldn't touch Hippowdon as I really want a water hippo starter, but it could also work. I don't know why Chimecho didn't get the fairy type when it was introduced, and I think it makes more sense than having a regional variant that is fairy type. A more kawaii version of Drifblim that does not carry people only for them to go missing would work perfectly as a fairy flying type. :p And for Lopunny, it has a mega that is part fighting, so I don't really see the point.

UD1

And for Lopunny, it has a mega that is part fighting, so I don't really see the point.
Hah?! Lopunny has a mega? (looks it up for confirmation, sees the torn stockings design, performs a full-body cringe) I obviously must have repressed the existence of a such a thing.
I had Girafarig keep its psychic type since its Japanese name is a combination of giraffe and telekinesis.

Here are some more regionals:
Unfezant (Ghost/Flying): A haunting bird whose cries of 'horo horo horo' echo eerily throughout its nesting grounds.
Krookodile (Water/Dark): It's different but in-flavor and doesn't contradict its original nomenclature.
Darmanitan (Grass/Fairy): Last I checked, a daruma is supposed to be a wooden totem that grants wishes. It's Japanese name is full of fire puns, however, so maybe Fire/Fairy.
Haxorus (Dragon/Steel): The thing's got an axe for a face, why wouldn't it be steel-type.
Bouffalant (Fairy): Make its afro pink or rainbow colored and call it a day.
Eelektross (Electric/Water): Self explanatory

paipr_christian

grass type fan.

I kinda like this and what the above poster. Make it's regional Dark/Normal, add in some reason why it's (chain chomp head) got more nourishment or something.

Here is an idea I wanted to see in Alola but I think could work just as well in other regions.

Water/Electric Tentacool/Tentacruel.
In 'x' region a group we're trapped in extremely fresh and clean water causing the poisonous nature of them to fade. As such thier toxins don't so much Poison as Paralyze.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I dont like this concept. Most of Alola forms were really ugly. And It was silly making it only gen 1

Gen82

I always thought that the pokemon that live in the more extreme environments would be the best for Regional Variants. Here's a few.

Sneasel as a Fire Dark. Its moved into a more volcanic region.

Slugma line as a poison type. It been away from the volcanoes heat for so long it has turned into toxic tar.

Hippopotas line as a grass type. Moved to a water region and now grows anti bacteria plants on itself to ward off germs.

Snover line as a ground grass type. Moved into warm forrests and is now thought to be Big Foot.