• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

Leonhart

Imagineer
I hope Gen VIII lacks new regional variants since at this point with Kanto nostalgia still going on with no signs of stopping, I fear we'd get even more regional variants of Gen I species.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I always thought that the pokemon that live in the more extreme environments would be the best for Regional Variants. Here's a few.

Sneasel as a Fire Dark. Its moved into a more volcanic region.

Slugma line as a poison type. It been away from the volcanoes heat for so long it has turned into toxic tar.

Hippopotas line as a grass type. Moved to a water region and now grows anti bacteria plants on itself to ward off germs.

Snover line as a ground grass type. Moved into warm forrests and is now thought to be Big Foot.

While I don't love every idea you have I love the concept behind it. Radical changes vs "fixes".

Like what about a Water/Fire Dewgong variant found trapped in an island cover of shallow water. The water is always warm so they lost their aIce type and addapted to prefer (and cause) warmer waters.

Or

Bellsprout line becoming Grass/Electric. Due to living deep in a dark wood and not getting enough sunlight this Pokemon adapted by at first by becoming floresecent (imagine a lightbulb looking Bellsprout) for itself and others of it's line, and then they used it to lure prey closer to it, paralyzing them with Thunder Shocks, and blinding them with Flash attacks.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
If there is regional variants, i would love to see the Johto Pokemon, i don't think we need more Kanto.

Lol valid point. And I do agree.... Its funny how much easier gen1 Pokemon can be to regional variants in ways.

That said with so few Johto Pokemon (more than a few of which are related to gen1 and/or gen4 Pokemon I think a focus on only gen2 would be a difficult one.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Kantonian Croagunk/Toxicroak
Electric/Fighting

An odd combination of cleaner waters and the vicinity of there marsh homes to a certain power plant have caused the toxic substance produced in the body of Croagunk and Toxicroak to not Poison but rather paralyze.

Oddly this causes them to act more proudly, possibly due to what they consider a more honorable battle style.

Orphalesion

Let's see Gen 2 Pokemon? Well Gen 2 might be the one gen I like less than Gen 1, and most of the (imho) more decent designs are evolution of Kanto mons.
That being said a lot could be done with Hoothoot and Noctowl, particularly if Noctowl is made over to look less boring.
The most obvious variants would be: a Ice/Flying snow owl or a Ghost/Flying barn owl. Psychic/Flying could also work (owls are associated with wisdom/intelligence) or Dark/Flying (Owls can be cunning and deceptive)

I'd also like to see a Teddyursa/Ursaring variant. This could also go in a number of ways...maybe a Grass type variant with symbiotic algae in their fur (like some real life sloths) making them less aggressive. Or a Water type variant that took to living on small islands and had to swim between them in search for food.
Something that would be neat lore-wise would be a Normal/Ice Ursaring with yelloish-blonde fur that is said to have arisen from interbreeding between Ursaring and Beartic, referencing real world events where Ice Bears breed with Grizzlies. But I think it might be too close to both Ursaring and Beartic. Maybe Ice/Fighting to make it more distinctive?

I could also see a Normal/Fairy or Pure Fairy typed Furret that is even MOAR FLUFFY, possibly pink and is said to collect magical gem stones that it braids into its fur or something.
A pokedex entry that describes how it tricks little girls into selling their souls in exchange for magical power is purely optional.

And of course a Psychic/Dark Girafarig and a Water/Steel Octillery that use their (far superior) Beta-Designs.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
This is so true. We deserve some with gen 2-4 pokemon.
Like imagine a variant of Electivire. Now that would be badass.

I wanted (and still would like to see) a regional of Electavire and Magmortar where they switch types. I don't know why they would, or how they would. But it be fun to see both lines with flipped flipped typings.

Orphalesion

I wanted (and still would like to see) a regional of Electavire and Magmortar where they switch types. I don't know why they would, or how they would. But it be fun to see both lines with flipped flipped typings.

They could make it a thing where you have to trade a Magmar and Electabuzz from that region with each other, so that they switch types while being traded, resulting in a Electric Magmortar and a Fire typed Electavire.

Or their evolution method could be changed so that you have to have both in your party when they level up.

The lore justification could be that Electabuzz and Magmar have been forced to share the same living space in that region and instead of competing have entered a form of symbiosis that goes so deep that they need each other's help for evolution and then switch types.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
They could make it a thing where you have to trade a Magmar and Electabuzz from that region with each other, so that they switch types while being traded, resulting in a Electric Magmortar and a Fire typed Electavire.

Or their evolution method could be changed so that you have to have both in your party when they level up.

The lore justification could be that Electabuzz and Magmar have been forced to share the same living space in that region and instead of competing have entered a form of symbiosis that goes so deep that they need each other's help for evolution and then switch types.

All works for regional final forms in theory.... But it sounds more like alt Evo methods moreso than regional variants.

Besides if they opted to do this I'd like to see it be the whole line, not just the final forms.

Maybe it be better if they just gain the others types while keeping thier own.

For instance Elekid line could gain the Fire typing due to it's habitat having long winter's. The Fire typing allows it to stay warm even during the coldest weather.

For Magby and it's line it could gain it's additional Electric typing since the volcano it lives on is constantly causing volcanic storms and it gained the typing as a result of constant exposure to the electricity from the lightning in the storms.

Making Electavire a Electric/Fire type
And Magmortar a Fire/Electric type.

Luthor

All works for regional final forms in theory.... But it sounds more like alt Evo methods moreso than regional variants.

Besides if they opted to do this I'd like to see it be the whole line, not just the final forms.

Maybe it be better if they just gain the others types while keeping thier own.

For instance Elekid line could gain the Fire typing due to it's habitat having long winter's. The Fire typing allows it to stay warm even during the coldest weather.

For Magby and it's line it could gain it's additional Electric typing since the volcano it lives on is constantly causing volcanic storms and it gained the typing as a result of constant exposure to the electricity from the lightning in the storms.

Making Electavire a Electric/Fire type
And Magmortar a Fire/Electric type.

That would be fine too. Both pokemon could gain a lot from those. I do think it'd be good if both regional variants had a different evolution method as well. Trade while holding an item isn't the best

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
That would be fine too. Both pokemon could gain a lot from those. I do think it'd be good if both regional variants had a different evolution method as well. Trade while holding an item isn't the best

Trade while holding an item, and trade to evolve is by far the worst types of evolution.

I wish all trade evolvers (item or not) had a secondary Evo methods that just required a high lvl or something. Both would result in getting the same Evo, just the trade one be almost like a short cut.

But yeah for both of those an alternate Evo method be great, but I imagine they would just have you evolve them the same way with the same item, or just switch the items between the two.

JW1004

Bonsly/Sudowoodo - Grass (if it is a region with loads of forest, it adapted to the environment and now is an actual tree that looks like a mossy rock. And is able to prevent being attacked by birds and insects by it's disguise.
Girafarig - Ghost/Dark - Being a night time Pokémon. The tail got possesed and Giraferig turned slowly over time in this new version. Has acces to Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball etc.
Skitty/Delcatty - in this region Skitty has been hold into households as pets and evolved into Fairy types. For some reason they also have a fascionation for the moon. Making it a regional variant counterpart to Meowth/Persian

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Bonsly/Sudowoodo - Grass (if it is a region with loads of forest, it adapted to the environment and now is an actual tree that looks like a mossy rock. And is able to prevent being attacked by birds and insects by it's disguise.
Girafarig - Ghost/Dark - Being a night time Pokémon. The tail got possesed and Giraferig turned slowly over time in this new version. Has acces to Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball etc.
Skitty/Delcatty - in this region Skitty has been hold into households as pets and evolved into Fairy types. For some reason they also have a fascionation for the moon. Making it a regional variant counterpart to Meowth/Persian
Love to see that in near future by Gamefreak.

Zaide

A couple other ideas I had (only naming the fully evolved mon, but some could obviously affect the pre-evos too) and that I haven't seen commonly suggested here or elsewhere

Parasect
Type : Bug/Grass -> Bug/Ghost
Backstory : Parasect has evolved into a ghost type after breeding in a "dead" forest (with practically all the vegetation dead) due to the lack of nutrishment.
Stats changes : -10 Sp.Def / +10 Atk.
Abilities : Cursed Body, Insomnia, Infiltrator (HA)
Notable new moves : Night slash, Shadow Claw, Curse, Nightmare, Dream Eater
Comment : Ok, so yes, this is common I think, but I wanted to detail my own idea. Obviously, it won't be a force, but it still could be fun to play with. Nightmare + Spore could be fun in a regular playthrough.

Chandelure
Type : Ghost/Fire -> Ghost/Electric
Backstory : Chandelure has found refuge inside a powerplant in an area that has constant rain. It has adapted to harvest the power of electricity.
Stats changes : None
Abilities : Lightning Rod, Volt Absorb, Infiltrator (HA)
Notable new moves : Thunder Wave, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Charge Beam, Magnet Rise, Volt Switch, Flash Cannon
Comment : I find this idea fun, with Chandelure now becoming an electric lamp basically. I don't think it would become too similar to Rotom.

Quagsire
Type : Ground/Water -> Poison/Water
Backstory : Living in an area near a factory where the water and the soil has been contaminated, Quagsire has absorbed the toxins and became a more agressive poison type.
Stats changes : -10 Def. / +10 Atk.
Abilities : Damp, Liquid Ooze, Merciless (HA)
Notable new moves : Gunk Shot, Acid Armor, Toxic Spikes
Comment : I think it would be nice to have a Pokémon that can really make use of merciless. With decent base attack, powerful STABs in waterfall and gunk shot (or scald and sludge wave if running a special set), access to recover and acid armor for stalling and access to toxic/toxic spikes for indusing poison, it could do some damage and be fun to play with.

Octillery
Type : Water -> Fire/Poison
Backstory : Living in waters surrounding an underwater active volcano, it had adapted into a fire/poison type that is still capable of surviving under water.
Stats changes : None.
Abilities : Suction Cups, Adaptability, Toxic Rinse* (HA)
*Toxic Rinse : If this Pokémon uses a water type move, the move will badly poison the target
Notable new moves : None.
Comment : Another Pokémon that I think could be fun to play with. It would pretty much have the same overall moveset, since it already learns a lot of fire and poison type moves. Adaptability would go well with the tremendous adaptation it went through, and it would be the go-to ability competitively, I think, due to the sheer power of STAB fire blast/sludge wave/gunk shot. Toxic Rinse is mostly a thematic ability, and could still have some use, as it would obviously not lose its main water type moves (hydro pump mostly, as scald would lose its ability to burn).

Stantler
Type : Normal -> Ice
Backstory : It's. A. Deer.
Stats changes : None.
Abilities : Intimidate, Ice Body, Refrigirate (HA)
Notable new moves : Icicle Crash, Blizzard, Hail, Icy Wind
Comment : It's just obvious. With refrigirate, it would pack some punch with Double Edge, while the combination of icy wind + intimidate could prove to be quite useful in doubles.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Ekans (Poison/Psychic) -> Arbok (Poison/Psychic)- These variants have developed hypnotic powers and gain the Psychic type as a result. Ekans uses its rattle to hypnotize its prey and Arbok uses the face on its neck.
Venonat (Bug/Psychic) -> Venomoth (Bug/Psychic)- Their Psychic powers are more developed than their Kantonian counterparts and thus have become Psychic type.
Ponyta (Fairy/Flying) -> Rapidash (Fairy/Flying)- More magic themed
Tauros (Fighting/Ground)- Adapts to more rugged and arid environments and has become even more aggressive.
Hoothoot (Psychic/Flying) -> Noctowl (Psychic/Flying)
Ledian (Bug/Fighting)- Goes for more of a boxing theme and becomes Fighting.
Sunflora (Grass/Fire)- Sunflora's head becomes much more like an actual sun and gains the Fire type.
Zigzagoon (Normal/Electric) -> Linoone (Normal/Electric)- Stores static electricity in its fur and uses it to run very fast.
Trapinch (Bug) -> Vibrava (Bug/Dragon) -> Flygon (Bug/Dragon)- Adapts to live in forested/swampy environments and becomes a Bug type
Stoutland (Ground/Ice)- Its fur protects it from harsh environments such as deserts and snowstorms.

KKS-Lapras

Zubat line getting alternate typing would be interesting. Make it more of a fruit bat, Flying/Grass.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Does anyone think they’ll do more variants for Pokémon that already have them? (If they do variants) what I mean is do you think Geodude/Ninetales/etc. have a shot at getting a third variant?