• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Does anyone think they’ll do more variants for Pokémon that already have them? (If they do variants) what I mean is do you think Geodude/Ninetales/etc. have a shot at getting a third variant?
That's an interesting idea. I assume if they can't think of anything that seems new and exciting, they would do this after they've done most of the first six generations at least.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
That's an interesting idea. I assume if they can't think of anything that seems new and exciting, they would do this after they've done most of the first six generations at least.
I’ll admit the idea was inspired by Mr. Buddy’s “What if Australia was a Pokémon region”. He gave Geodude a new variant and I began to wonder about it. Personally I’d love to see them do something like this. Or even have it where there’s regions where we get some Kantonian forms (let’s say Raichu, Meowth, and Vulpix), but some Alolan forms (like Marowak, Exeggutor, and Grimer)

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Does anyone think they’ll do more variants for Pokémon that already have them? (If they do variants) what I mean is do you think Geodude/Ninetales/etc. have a shot at getting a third variant?

Maybe.... I mean I could see it. And honestly there is no major reason they can't. Scientifically speaking if something has a penchant for adapting, it could be more likely to adapt in other scenario.....

That said I hope they don't, at least not for quite a while.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Maybe.... I mean I could see it. And honestly there is no major reason they can't. Scientifically speaking if something has a penchant for adapting, it could be more likely to adapt in other scenario.....

That said I hope they don't, at least not for quite a while.
Yeah I wouldn’t want them to do a repeat immediately after. But the idea that they could get a third variant down the road (I think 3 gens later is fine) is kind of cool to me. Just makes the Pokémon world feel a little more realistic to me. I love when features make the games feel more real like the regional variants did!

DragonMasterX34

Rhyperior
Rock/Fire
Ability: Solid Rock
HP: 115
Atk: 30
Def: 160
Sp Atk: 140
Sp Def: 100
Speed: 10
BST: 535

Blissey
Fighting
Ability: Huge Power
HP: 55
Atk: 255
Def: 10
Sp Atk: 75
Sp Def: 10
Speed: 135
BST: 540

Tropius
Grass/Dragon
Ability: Adaptability
HP: 80
Attack: 30
Defense: 80
Sp.Atk: 105
Sp.Def: 80
Speed: 85
BST: 460

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

None of the Mega Evolutions had forms, and none of the regional variants had Megas. Game Freak seems to have mindset of only giving new forms to Pokemon who didn't have any to begin with, so I'd say that chance is unlikely.

Also, it's bad enough we only got Gen I Alola Forms. I don't want any of them to get a second one. That's just excessive.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Yes I certainly hope that if regional variants return they move outside Kanto. So many Pokémon from other regions need love. Octillery, Tropius, and Sawsbuck come to mind

Kdude146

I would love to see the other gens get some love with Regional Variants as well. I am only doing gens 2 -4 for now. I have listed my reasons for the type changes as well as how they evolve.

Johto Families

1. Ledyba/Ledian Bug/Psychic - evolves at level 18 morning

side effect of the flowers they pollinate not originally native to this region they accidentally came here when a storm caused them to go off their migration path many years ago.
2. Spinarak/Ariados Bug/Dark - evolves at level 22 night
had to adapt when Ledyba/Ledian came to the region and changed into Bug/Psychic types.
3. Wooper/Quagsire Poison/Ground - evolves at level 20
the area it lives in became polluted after a human caused accident at a close by factory
4. Slugma/Magcargo Fire/Water - evolves when leveled up knowing scald
a very long time ago there was an earthquake in the cave Slugma and Magcargo live in that had an underground lake become opened up as a result, the cave and the air become very moist and over time they adapted and became part water types.
5. Sneasel/Weavile - Dark/Electric - Evolves when leveled up in Special Magnetic Field
Brought to the region to be pets for the wealthy but ended up getting set free and made a cave with high levels of magnetic energy their home and over time their bodies became filled with electricity.

Hoenn Families

1. Poochyena/Mightyena Ground - evolves at level 18
Moved to the desert when its pray became less available in the grasslands.
2. Shroomish Poision/Breloom Poison/Fighting - evolves at level 23
the area it lives in became polluted after a human caused accident at a close by factory
3. Skitty/Delcatty Ice - evolves with Ice Stone
had to adapt when the forest it lives in became cold and snowy all year long.
4. Roselia/Roserade Psychic/Poision - evolves with Shinny Stone
The psychic energy in the flowers in its habitat caused it to change them into a part psychic type.
5. Barboach/Whiscash Water/Dragon - evolves at level 30
Something to do with the water molecule in this region changed them into part dragon types.

Sinnoh Families

1. Combee/Vespiquen Bug/Psychic - female evolve at level 21
side effect of the flowers they pollinate/get nectar from.
2. Glameow/Purugly Fairy - evolves with high friendship
Brought to region long ago to be pets for royals/the wealthy something in the food they fed them changed them over time.
3. Hippopotas/Hippowdon grass/ground - evolves at level 34
Due to high levels of humans digging for oil in the desert they moved into the forests away from the deserts to live in peace and quiet

Last edited:

Ayush nair

Seriously i dont want any kind of variants or connectivity with kanto or its pokemon i think there will ve some kind of new mechanics like mega evolution in generation 6 and z moves in generation 7 and generation 8 and 9 might be having low number of pokemon from 10th generation there will be a freah start

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I’d love a Water or a Water/Ground Hippowdon. Also, Water/Poison Toxicroak, Grass/Dragon Tropius, Steel Octillery

I also think it’d be cool to see a hidden type of area in the games where extinct Pokémon live (I’m thinking like in that tree in the Lucario movie). Here, the fossils can be found in their prehistoric forms, with each pairing being version exclusives and Aerodactyl being obtainable in both, maybe even as an overworked encounter that you can only get one of. Or they could just not have Aerodactyl because it already has a Mega. Here are my ideas:
•Kabutops: Water/Steel
•Omastar: Water/Steel
•Aerodactyl: Dragon/Flying
•Armaldo: Water/Bug
•Cradily: Water/Grass
•Rampardos: Fire/Steel
•Bastiodon: Steel
•Carracosta: Water
•Archeops: Dragon/Flying
•Aurorus: Ice/Dragon
•Tyrantrum: Dragon

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
But Mega Aerodactyl is its prehistoric form (or at least close to it), so the theory that "Fossil Pokemon are only Rock-types because they're revived from stone" is false.

That being said, it would be nice to have a non-Rock-type Fossil.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
But Mega Aerodactyl is its prehistoric form (or at least close to it), so the theory that "Fossil Pokemon are only Rock-types because they're revived from stone" is false.

That being said, it would be nice to have a non-Rock-type Fossil.

Well... Close isn't 100% it.

Additionally just because (in theory) some fossils aren't naturally /Rock doesn't mean none are (again in theory)

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Yeah I guess another way around it would be to have you revive the fossils and when you do they are regional variants of that Pokémon. Since scientists often find that the same species of dinosaur may have different adaptations depending on where it lived, they could just say “Oh, the Anorith here actually lived deeper in the sea, so it’s a part water type!”

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Yeah I guess another way around it would be to have you revive the fossils and when you do they are regional variants of that Pokémon. Since scientists often find that the same species of dinosaur may have different adaptations depending on where it lived, they could just say “Oh, the Anorith here actually lived deeper in the sea, so it’s a part water type!”

That be fun. Like strange, there appeared to be a large amount of iron in this fossil (Receives Water/Steel Kabuto)

Orphalesion

So....now that we know the region is based on/inspired by Great Brittan...what could be some merry old English/Scottish variants of pre-existing Pokemon?

The British Islands have a a cool, oceanic climate, meaning that in several parts of the archipelago, especially the coast lines temperatures are what I would call "cold" (jacket weather) and rainy, but lack the hard winter frosts of continental regions of the same latitude (for example Germany or Poland have much rougher winters than England) This allowed the British to import several plants and animals from much warmer regions of their former empire. This could serve as inspiration for several regional forms.

1)In addition to that England is famous for its rose gardens, so I propose a Grass/Fairy themed regional variant of the Roserade line. They could make its roses red and theme it around royalty/gentry.
Centuries ago a diplomatic delegation from Hoenn presented several Roselia to the Queen of Galar, who let them roam around the palace gardens. Over time nobles imitated this and a new strain of Roselia/Roserade were developed, carrying the Queen's favourite red roses (doubles as an Alice in Wonderland reference and Alice in Wodnerland is huge in Japan from what I've heard)

2) A variant of Victreebel that's kept in greenhouses? Not sure about the typing here though, could be Grass/Dark because it viciously hunts insects creeping into the green houses.

3) A Fairy or Fairy/Dark themed variant of Purrloin based on the Chesshire Cat. (though that could be it's own pokemon)

4) Maybe a Steel/Fighting knight/guard themed variant of Arcanine? Bred to protect the royal family and their palaces.

I also think there could be a lot of steam punk themed variants (not robots, but Pokemon that have adapted to living around machinery and such) but right now I can't think of any...

A variant of Koffing and Weezing based on the London Pea Soup Fog of the 19th century?
Water/Poison? Or water/fire steam themed?

Last edited:

axelme

what i think would be interesting would be an origin form. have the pokemon take the form of the pokemon they evolved from . not regular evolution but..you know, the way animals evolved along. do people know what im trying to say?

like maybe donphan would take on more of a mammoth appearance. sandshrew could take on more of a glyptodon form. you could make pignite resemble entelodont. girafarig could resemble one of the ancient giraffes , slakoth could resemble megatherium. artiados could grow massive into the spider that was the size of a human head..i cant remember it.s name but i know it existed because my brother used to love watching a show on netflix it was on

oir you could work on armored or a "noble" form. you could work it into the story as something humans worked on. they'd become coated in an armor and maybe mechnical

for fossils i'd really like a stegosaurus or a parasaurolophus. or maybe instead of dinosaurs just bring back some of the prehistoric mammals

World Turtle

I bet on Rattata/Raticate. Being a Com Mon you can have an easier time justifying how its 'everywhere'. This time its Normal/Poison.

Also a Fighting/Ground Passimian (he is basically covered in mud armor).

Last edited:

Arthropoda

With that big glowing mushroom area I would love to get a Parasect where instead of a horrible brain eating parasite it got a magic mushroom instead:

Light blue body, Eyes like Paras, Dark blue mushroom with a more pointed top and flared edges, mushroom spots look star shaped

In essence a Bug/Fairy Parasect that has a Mushroom that looks like a Wizard's hat!

Runelore

Great post Orphalesion! I especially agree with the Roserade idea.

Below are some Pokemon from previous generations that I feel fit into the Great Britain theme and could possibly work as regional variants.

131MS.png

Galarian Lapras
Lapras had an original proposed English name of Ness, named after the Loch Ness Monster. So likely was themed after Nessie. Would be a great Pokemon to do a UK variant.

210MS.png

Galarian Granbull
Based on a Bulldog, very British. Could see this either being brought back into this gen or given a regional variant.

581MS.png

Galarian Swanna
Swan's have a long established connection to British royalty. There's this whole "Swan Upping" thing, sounds like they count and examine all swans along a 79 mile stretch of the Thames. Either brought in as is, or regional variant would fit the setting.

078MS.png

Galarian Rapidash
Sword and Shield is looking to possibly have some knight related themes. A regional variant of Rapidash would be amazing, maybe becomes a warhorse with armour (Fire/Steel).

668MS.png

Galarian Pyroar
England and Scotland both use lion symbols. Would suit a UK variant.

681MS.png

Galarian Aegislash
Gen 8 is literally called Sword and Shield. We have a Sword and Shield Pokemon, so could maybe see a regional variant of Aegislash.