• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
I’d take Druddigon any day over anything relating to Dragonite; the latter is genuinely one of the only dragons I dislike. A Fire/Dragon Druddigon could look very cool, maybe sleeker and more streamlined than the normal Druddigon. We’ve only had three Dragon/Fire types; one being a Legendary and one being a Mega, so it’d be nice to see another.

Why not make it Dragon/Rock and base it off a Gargoyle?

Luthor

I could see a Tentacool regional variant. It's a pokemon that is so common in lots of regions but it really hasn't changed much. If it got a separate variant form it would at least make the constant spam of Tentacool feel a bit different. Personally I'd have it no longer be a water type but I suspect it would probably just replace the poison type with something else.

Creyk

I could see a Tentacool regional variant. It's a pokemon that is so common in lots of regions but it really hasn't changed much. If it got a separate variant form it would at least make the constant spam of Tentacool feel a bit different. Personally I'd have it no longer be a water type but I suspect it would probably just replace the poison type with something else.
That would be so cool. Tentacool is one of the coolest pokemon designs, I can never get enough of the little guy, used one in so many playthroughs :) It would be nice to see it reimagined in some way, although it would be hard to top it's current design as it's so good.

JW1004

I wouldn't mind if all 'spam' gen 1 mons get a regional make-over sooner than later. The alola form of Geodude was already a nice touch.
So I wouldn't mind if Zubat would get a regional form and instead of Poison gets an other typing, maybe Grass/Flying inspired by fruitbats and horseshoe bats.
Tentacool maybe go a different route and make it Water/Rock, make it make use of the Gem on it's head

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I swear, if Zigzagoon is the ONLY non-Kanto mon to get a regional form...

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type

That is literally such a fear for me. And it would be such a slap in the face if they revealed it first of the galar forms to get us hyped for other non gen 1 galar forms, only to get no more.

Having said that, I would like a galar form of Voltorb. I feel gamefreak has redesigned it's very uninspired designs from gen 1 (dugtrio, muk, geodude) and Voltorb is one of those as well.

Luthor

That would be so cool. Tentacool is one of the coolest pokemon designs, I can never get enough of the little guy, used one in so many playthroughs :) It would be nice to see it reimagined in some way, although it would be hard to top it's current design as it's so good.

Agreed it will be a challenge but I think it could be done well.

I wouldn't mind if all 'spam' gen 1 mons get a regional make-over sooner than later. The alola form of Geodude was already a nice touch.
So I wouldn't mind if Zubat would get a regional form and instead of Poison gets an other typing, maybe Grass/Flying inspired by fruitbats and horseshoe bats.
Tentacool maybe go a different route and make it Water/Rock, make it make use of the Gem on it's head

That's fair. It has already been done with some of the common ones like you say Geodude, also Rattatta and Diglett to a lesser extent. It makes sense to do the common ones that people encounter alot. Personally for Zubat I've always wanted Dark/Flying but grass/flying could work well too. Tentacruel as a water/rock definitely could work.

Yea. that would totallly suck & I'd be angry.

I suspect we'll get at least something from Gen 2. If I was to make a guess i'd go Magcargo (given the whole knights fighting snails which was a common thing in medieval art) but that's a pure guess.

KKS-Lapras

Pokémon Center features a painting; a scenery including a serpent.

PrATFi.png

You, a regional variant of the Dratini line, where the final evolution is inspired by Nessi would be a neat idea.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Seeing as the two things we know are exclusive to Sword - Bea's Gym and Sirfetch'd - are Fighting-type, it's probably safe to assume Bea will have a Sirfetch'd. So I was thinking perhaps in Shield, Galarian Rapidash will be Psychic/Ghost and Allister will have one?

Sponge

Even if there was one other non-Kanto regional variant in the game at launch, it would still suck if that was in comparison to like 6-7 Kanto regional variants. It's a big fear for me right now that like 80%-90% of the unrevealed gigantamax and regional forms are Kanto and whatever remaining percentage is going to be the scraps thrown towards gens 2-7.

At the moment Hoenn has the lowest representation of all gens so far....and my hope is that that means we might get a few of them as regional variants.

Seeing as the two things we know are exclusive to Sword - Bea's Gym and Sirfetch'd - are Fighting-type, it's probably safe to assume Bea will have a Sirfetch'd. So I was thinking perhaps in Shield, Galarian Rapidash will be Psychic/Ghost and Allister will have one?

I guess I have nothing more than a "feeling" about this but I don't really get the impression that Bea would have a Sirfetch'd. Considering she has a martial arts theme and despite being a Fighting type Sirfetch'd has nothing to do with that. They probably won't be thinking that deeply about it though.

I also got the impression that Rapidash was going to be Fairy/Flying because of the end of the stream. (The ponyta looked up and we could hear rapidash cry)

So my gut is telling me Allister will have some other ghost type exclusive, or he and Bea won't have version exclusive Pokemon at all and their new Pokemon are available in both games. (for example Allister might have a Polteageist as his ace)

Leosnake

You, a regional variant of the Dratini line, where the final evolution is inspired by Nessi would be a neat idea.
I would be up for this so long as it is the last Kanto based one. Really wanted an Galarian Arcanine but I am just glad it is in.

On a side not I feel the reason we have seen mostly Kanto stuff again is purely marketing reasons. Which is to say there probably are new non Kanto forms, both Galarian and other but they are keeping Mum about it until the games come out. Because of previous marketing not just to people who grew up with Gen 1 but also because of the Let's go Eevee and Pikachu games which were used to gather interest from the people who joined playing Pokemon via Pokemon go. My other reason for believing this because of the route the anime seems to be taking. They don't just show Galar and Kanto in that poster for the anime after all. So at the very least I am expecting to see some from at least gens 2 and 3. Maybe 4 because of them being the next due remakes. With then maybe added forms for other gens in later games or even in those remakes depending how much Gamefreak want to mix things up.

As for Pokemon I would like to see get new forms:
Houndour line: the lack of seeing it worries me but ever since mega forms it has sort of been paired with the Electrike line as a version exclusive. Also there are a lot of ghost or what are referred to as black dogs in British folklore. Such as Church Grimm, Padfoot (you can tell where J.K got some of her mythos from), Muckle Black Tyke and Gwyllgi just to list four of them. So I would like to see it gain the ghost type, either becoming our second water/ghost line or maybe becoming pure ghost. Maybe our first ghost/rock type. Though this might not fit as well depending which one they base it off of.

Ducklett line: the only Pokemon line that game out after gen 3 and the least likely in my opinion on this wish list. We are an island with a lot of different water and costal birds, the Queen and royal family are so attached to Swans it is illegal to hunt or kill a swan as they are protected by the Queen. I feel this should keep the water typing but become part Fairy instead.

Phanpy line: this is partly assuming the mystery Pokemon we saw Chairman Rose throw out is not related to Polteageist is some way. I would love to see something to to recognize the connects and history between Britain and India. Based on the colour ofthe mystery Pokemon and Electirc/fire type would be interesting.

Aron line: in my mind when this line evolves it already looks Knight like. So maybe make it more so and give it Steel/fighting.

As for out new Ponyta form I really love the fact that not only did they surprise a lot of us with the Psychic typing which also makes sense lore wise. As I also thought it would be Fairy type too. But I am excited to see what the new Rapidash looks like.

Sponge

In a way not seeing old Pokemon you love is kind of a double edged sword. It could mean they're just not in the game at all....or it could mean that they're getting a regional variant.

I hope we see some more single stage Pokemon get Galar evolutions like Farfetch'd. It would be a shame if only one single stage Pokemon got an evolution.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

I don't think they're counterparts to each other, Sirfetch'd and Galarian Rapidash. Rather, I think Allister's signature Pokémon will be something we haven't seen yet.

Even if there was one other non-Kanto regional variant in the game at launch, it would still suck if that was in comparison to like 6-7 Kanto regional variants. It's a big fear for me right now that like 80%-90% of the unrevealed gigantamax and regional forms are Kanto and whatever remaining percentage is going to be the scraps thrown towards gens 2-7.

No, I have a strong feeling they're focusing on Kanto Pokémon because those are the biggest sellers. Generation I has by far the most recognizable Pokémon. Many, many people fell off after that or were not happy with them introducing more Pokémon.

That, and Game Freak is still trying to repair the damage done with Pokémon Black and White, in which there were a lot of players who were VERY angry they couldn't use their old favorites. To them, Pokémon Black and White was like playing a new Street Fighter game, except it begins with 30 new fighters and old favorites like Ryu, Guile, and Zangief have to be unlocked by playing for many hours. Love it or hate it, Pikachu, Meowth, and Charizard are the Ryu, Guile, and Zangief of Pokémon.

On a side not I feel the reason we have seen mostly Kanto stuff again is purely marketing reasons. Which is to say there probably are new non Kanto forms, both Galarian and other but they are keeping Mum about it until the games come out. Because of previous marketing not just to people who grew up with Gen 1 but also because of the Let's go Eevee and Pikachu games which were used to gather interest from the people who joined playing Pokemon via Pokemon go. My other reason for believing this because of the route the anime seems to be taking. They don't just show Galar and Kanto in that poster for the anime after all. So at the very least I am expecting to see some from at least gens 2 and 3. Maybe 4 because of them being the next due remakes. With then maybe added forms for other gens in later games or even in those remakes depending how much Gamefreak want to mix things up.

As for Pokemon I would like to see get new forms:
Houndour line: the lack of seeing it worries me but ever since mega forms it has sort of been paired with the Electrike line as a version exclusive. Also there are a lot of ghost or what are referred to as black dogs in British folklore. Such as Church Grimm, Padfoot (you can tell where J.K got some of her mythos from), Muckle Black Tyke and Gwyllgi just to list four of them. So I would like to see it gain the ghost type, either becoming our second water/ghost line or maybe becoming pure ghost. Maybe our first ghost/rock type. Though this might not fit as well depending which one they base it off of.

Ducklett line: the only Pokemon line that game out after gen 3 and the least likely in my opinion on this wish list. We are an island with a lot of different water and costal birds, the Queen and royal family are so attached to Swans it is illegal to hunt or kill a swan as they are protected by the Queen. I feel this should keep the water typing but become part Fairy instead.

Phanpy line: this is partly assuming the mystery Pokemon we saw Chairman Rose throw out is not related to Polteageist is some way. I would love to see something to to recognize the connects and history between Britain and India. Based on the colour ofthe mystery Pokemon and Electirc/fire type would be interesting.

Aron line: in my mind when this line evolves it already looks Knight like. So maybe make it more so and give it Steel/fighting.

As for out new Ponyta form I really love the fact that not only did they surprise a lot of us with the Psychic typing which also makes sense lore wise. As I also thought it would be Fairy type too. But I am excited to see what the new Rapidash looks like.

Exactly. They're promoting the Pokémon that they know have sold games in large quantities in the past. The purpose of putting Gigantamax Pikachu, Eevee, and Charizard (and to a lesser extent Meowth and Butterfree) are to sell to fans of these Pokémon. To that end, it would be pointelss if they were NOT shown off prior to release. They want to excite fans of these Pokémon.

Look at Mega Evolutions. You have favorites like Charizard, Lucario, Gardevoir, and Blaziken getting Mega Evolutions. Then you have mostly forgotten Pokémon like Pinsir (which, might I add, is a Generation I Pokémon), Ampharos, Lopunny, and Altaria getting Mega Evolutions.

I would like an alternate type for Houdour/Houndoom. Gives more type variety and makes it so I can make a better dog-themed team. (This is assuming more Pokémon themed on domesticated dogs get in. So far, we have the Yamper line, the Growlithe line, and the Electrike line. Granbull would be needed for its valuable Fairy-type; as they're based on bulldogs, I'm sure they'll get in. They're also likely to receive a Galarian counterpart (Or Furfrou would get one.)

Sponge

No, I have a strong feeling they're focusing on Kanto Pokémon because those are the biggest sellers. Generation I has by far the most recognizable Pokémon. Many, many people fell off after that or were not happy with them introducing more Pokémon.

I thought that might be the case, I mean it's understandable if they want to use Kanto to market the games. I guess I'm just not totally optimistic that that's what they're doing. Every thing so far is making me think there's a very heavy lean towards Kanto in terms of gigantamaxes and regional variants.

I mean they didn't have any problem using non-Kanto Pokemon to introduce us to Megas. (and that was after Black and White)

ChavaWM

I thought that might be the case, I mean it's understandable if they want to use Kanto to market the games. I guess I'm just not totally optimistic that that's what they're doing. Every thing so far is making me think there's a very heavy lean towards Kanto in terms of gigantamaxes and regional variants.

I mean they didn't have any problem using non-Kanto Pokemon to introduce us to Megas. (and that was after Black and White)
Maybe, just like with megas, theyll show us Gen 1 pokemon first and then slowly introduce more non gen 1 Galarian Variants

Illusio

No words, only rage
That, and Game Freak is still trying to repair the damage done with Pokémon Black and White, in which there were a lot of players who were VERY angry they couldn't use their old favorites. To them, Pokémon Black and White was like playing a new Street Fighter game, except it begins with 30 new fighters and old favorites like Ryu, Guile, and Zangief have to be unlocked by playing for many hours. Love it or hate it, Pikachu, Meowth, and Charizard are the Ryu, Guile, and Zangief of Pokémon.

It's been eight years! If the damage hasn't already been repaired, then GF need to hire better designers. :p

Sponge

Maybe, just like with megas, theyll show us Gen 1 pokemon first and then slowly introduce more non gen 1 Galarian Variants

They didn't just show Kanto megas first though.

I remember Mega Mawile, Mega Absol and Mega Ampharos being part of the first reveal.