• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
In the minority but I could do without regional variants. I’m not mad that they’re here but I’d prefer evolutions. That’s why Obstagoon/Sirfetch’d really peaked my interest and I hope the regional evolutions aren’t overshadowed by regional variants

NeedsAName

In the minority but I could do without regional variants. I’m not mad that they’re here but I’d prefer evolutions. That’s why Obstagoon/Sirfetch’d really peaked my interest and I hope the regional evolutions aren’t overshadowed by regional variants

Same. I want more of those. It also makes Galarian forms different enough from Alolan forms to stand out.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I thought that might be the case, I mean it's understandable if they want to use Kanto to market the games. I guess I'm just not totally optimistic that that's what they're doing. Every thing so far is making me think there's a very heavy lean towards Kanto in terms of gigantamaxes and regional variants.

I mean they didn't have any problem using non-Kanto Pokemon to introduce us to Megas. (and that was after Black and White)

There's a lean toward Kanto because they're fresh off the heels of Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu and Eevee, and that means there are a lot of Kanto fans hovering around Switch-related news. They're laser-focusing the subject of their reveals based on what is most likely to sell the games. As big as Pokémon is, it can't sustain itself selling only to the core fans, who follow each generation and can recognize all of the 800-some-odd species. It needs to branch out to the casual fans and non-fans, and the easiest way to do that is to show the most recognizable Pokémon, almost all of which are Generation I.

It's been eight years! If the damage hasn't already been repaired, then GF need to hire better designers. :p

It's been 20 years since Sonic Adventure came out, and Sonic Team is still trying to calm the fans down!

In all seriousness though, Black and White brought the Genwunners out of the woodwork, who have been raising ruckuses since whenever anything that isn't Generation I is featured. Even more so when Pokémon GO first came out and featured Generation I only.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I still kinda hope that G.Rapidash gets a regional evolution. I hope we get at least 5-6 regional evolutions altogether.
Assuming Galar Ponyta still evolves at level 40, if Rapidash does have a regional evolution you'd probably be waiting a long time for it, unless it evolves only a few levels later or with a new stone. I'd be happy with around ten regional variants and maybe four or five evolutions.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
But Mega Mewtwo Y was literally the first one revealed. It even got its own movie.

Yeah I remember it being a thing before Megas were even revealed. People really thought he was Mewthree lol.

NeedsAName

A Dark type Drowzee, Hypno and Hypno Evolution seems likely to me.

While that would be cool, I don't want any more dark-type regional variants for a while. We've already had:

• A-Rattata, Dark/Normal
  • A-Raticate, Dark/Normal
  • A-Meowth, Dark
  • A-Persian, Dark
  • A-Grimer, Poison/Dark
  • A-Muk, Poison/Dark
  • G-Zigzagoon, Dark/Normal
  • G-Linoone, Dark/Normal
That's more than 1/4 of all regional variants so far. How about Ghost/Fairy or something else more unique?

Leosnake

Speaking of Galarian evolutions and forms. Do you all think that Sirfetched and Galarian Ponyta are meant to be counterparts? I know they were revealed as version exclusives on after the other and were both on that same magazine page. But something feels off, surely both on a marketing stand point and in general it would make more sense for their counterparts to be the same? By which I mean have a shield exclusive Galarian evolution to another single stage Pokemon and a Sword exclusive Galarian form? Since as things stand Shield has one Glarian form as an exclusive and sword a single Galarian evolution.

sketchersmeargle

Speaking of Galarian evolutions and forms. Do you all think that Sirfetched and Galarian Ponyta are meant to be counterparts? I know they were revealed as version exclusives on after the other and were both on that same magazine page. But something feels off, surely both on a marketing stand point and in general it would make more sense for their counterparts to be the same? By which I mean have a shield exclusive Galarian evolution to another single stage Pokemon and a Sword exclusive Galarian form? Since as things stand Shield has one Glarian form as an exclusive and sword a single Galarian evolution.

No I don't.

From a recent interview.

Okay last question about Sirfetch'd, I promise: are you going to have an equivalent that's exclusive to Pokémon Shield like Sirfetch'd is for Sword?

[Both laugh] SO: So there's things we haven't announced yet so that's as far as we can go, but there are of course regional differences and certain ones are awaiting you to discover in Pokémon Shield so hopefully you'll look forward to that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...hield-junichi-masuda-shigeru-ohmori-interview

Though eurogamer assumes it's Ponyta, it is not stated.

Leosnake

No I don't.

From a recent interview.

Okay last question about Sirfetch'd, I promise: are you going to have an equivalent that's exclusive to Pokémon Shield like Sirfetch'd is for Sword?

[Both laugh] SO: So there's things we haven't announced yet so that's as far as we can go, but there are of course regional differences and certain ones are awaiting you to discover in Pokémon Shield so hopefully you'll look forward to that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...hield-junichi-masuda-shigeru-ohmori-interview

Though eurogamer assumes it's Ponyta, it is not stated.

Ah thank you. I missed this despite keeping an eye on it.

I want Ralts regional variant inspired by Princess Diana.. that will never happen :/

I don’t think gamefreak would base a design on a person with such a controversial story.
Don’t know how a design based on her specifically would work either.
If Ralts and family would get a galarian form I think it would be based more on the Shakespearean elements that are already part of the Ralts Line Design.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Regular Gyarados line has already been shown to be in the games.

As for Pikachu, what type would it gain for just increasing its weight? It would also need more of a design rework just like Alolan Raichu. With Gigantamax, it allows simple changes and no type reworks needed.

Electric/Chonky

Nodame

Misty <3
I don’t think gamefreak would base a design on a person with such a controversial story.
Don’t know how a design based on her specifically would work either.
If Ralts and family would get a galarian form I think it would be based more on the Shakespearean elements that are already part of the Ralts Line Design.
Then a princess design would be cute :(