• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

8th Gen Regional Variants

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
My only issue with this is why have we never found this before? This cry hasn’t been in XY, ORAS, SM, or USUM. Why would they all of a sudden add it into Home. Like AZ’s Floette makes sense. It’s data leftover that’s been in every game since XY, but this is new.

The possibility is slim, but there is that chance they actually had more Mega Evolutions planned (to address the complaint that no new Mega Evolutions were added in Generation VII) but got scrapped early into development. If so, it'd make sense to take the existing Mega Evolution designs and make them into Gigantamax forms. Gigantamax Machamp and Butterfree looks like they could've been Mega Evolutions, for instance.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
The possibility is slim, but there is that chance they actually had more Mega Evolutions planned (to address the complaint that no new Mega Evolutions were added in Generation VII) but got scrapped early into development. If so, it'd make sense to take the existing Mega Evolution designs and make them into Gigantamax forms. Gigantamax Machamp and Butterfree looks like they could've been Mega Evolutions, for instance.
That makes sense. That said, Matt (the dataminer who found the odd Jynx cry) said the cry is for an Alternate Jynx form, whereas Gmaxes actually have their own rendering (so they aren’t coded in as “alt form”). So he said it could only be a scrapped mega or Galarian form. Given that we’ve never heard this cry before, and megas are not really a thing right now, I’m inclined to believe this is Galarian Jynx we are hearing. A little weird for it to have a different cry, but Galarian Slowpoke has a slightly different cry than Kantonian Slowpoke. So maybe, for whatever reason, every Galarian form in the expansions will have slightly different cries to their original variant.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
That makes sense. That said, Matt (the dataminer who found the odd Jynx cry) said the cry is for an Alternate Jynx form, whereas Gmaxes actually have their own rendering (so they aren’t coded in as “alt form”). So he said it could only be a scrapped mega or Galarian form. Given that we’ve never heard this cry before, and megas are not really a thing right now, I’m inclined to believe this is Galarian Jynx we are hearing. A little weird for it to have a different cry, but Galarian Slowpoke has a slightly different cry than Kantonian Slowpoke. So maybe, for whatever reason, every Galarian form in the expansions will have slightly different cries to their original variant.
I’m pretty sure Galarian Ponyta, Darmanitan, And Linoone have slightly altered cries. There’s something different about them in the games. I think Mr. Mime’s is also different because I think it seems to have an icy tone to it much like other Ice types seem to have.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I’m pretty sure Galarian Ponyta, Darmanitan, And Linoone have slightly altered cries. There’s something different about them in the games. I think Mr. Mime’s is also different because I think it seems to have an icy tone to it much like other Ice types seem to have.
Ah yes. Just this morning I battled a Galarian Mr. Mime. Idk if it’s considered a part of its cry, but when the Mr. Mime appears it does a little dance and clap, and you can hear the clap, which isn’t in regular Mr. Mime’s cry iirc.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Ah yes. Just this morning I battled a Galarian Mr. Mime. Idk if it’s considered a part of its cry, but when the Mr. Mime appears it does a little dance and clap, and you can hear the clap, which isn’t in regular Mr. Mime’s cry iirc.
And Garlarian Darmanitan doesn’t have that sizzle echo.

Kingudora

My favourite
Personally I think it is a scrapped cry for a Mega Jynx, but that got added in because Jynx is going to get a Galarian form. Basically, I believe the old Mega cry was added in as a dummy cry because it is the one currently assigned to Jynx's Alternate Form ID 1 in Game Freak's pokémon database.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The idea of a possible Galarian Rougela (Jynx) amuses me. I wouldn't be completely against it, just as long as its design isn't quite as dreadful as Galarian Barrierd's (Mr. Mime's).

Pikachu111213

Traveler
The idea of a possible Galarian Rougela (Jynx) amuses me. I wouldn't be completely against it, just as long as its design isn't quite as dreadful as Galarian Barrierd's (Mr. Mime's).
I don’t mind Mr. Mime’s Galarian form. I also adore Mr. Rime, but I’m a Chaplin fan so I can admit that’s why. That said, I just can’t imagine a form for Jynx that I could really love. I hate Jynx as is tbh. But I’m open to it. A unique typing would be cool. Perhaps Fire/Psychic? That’d be cool, it’d remind me of that Delta card of Jynx that was Fire type.

Orphalesion

I would like it if they emphasized the witch element of Jynx a lot more in a regional variant. There's enough legends about various wood or swamp witches, hags or elderly lady fairy creatures in the British Isles to draw inspiration from.
Or the Cailleach, a winter goddess in the shape of an old witch from Scottish mythology (also Irish, but that's irrelevant fro Galar) which, really sounds a lot like it would make a for a good Regional Variation of Jynx.

Luthor

I would like it if they emphasized the witch element of Jynx a lot more in a regional variant. There's enough legends about various wood or swamp witches, hags or elderly lady fairy creatures in the British Isles to draw inspiration from.
Or the Cailleach, a winter goddess in the shape of an old witch from Scottish mythology (also Irish, but that's irrelevant fro Galar) which, really sounds a lot like it would make a for a good Regional Variation of Jynx.

Well if it did take inspiration from a witch that would amusingly work extremely well with the English name of Jynx.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

We already have Hatterene from this same generation though, as far as Pokémon themed on witches. (Previous Pokémon I can think of are Murkrow and Mismagius too.) I mean, I don't mind them repeating a theme, but I'm iffy about introducing multiple unrelated evolution lines with the same theme in the same generation.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I'd be happy for a Galarian Jynx - it's been a long time since she got something and I think both that, and an evolution akin to Elekid/Magmar etc. would be wonderful way to bring her into the current world without the drama behind her if the designs good enough!

NeedsAName

Weird idea I just had a little bit ago: regional variant eeveelutions. I know the idea's been suggested before, but I hope my take on it is unique enough. (I also am aware the Eevee line is already in Galar.)

Galarian Eevee
Type: Normal/Fairy (Also held by Azurill and the Igglybuff line)
Ability: Normalize/Pixilate (HA: Vital Spirit)
Description: The presence of many Fairy-types has changed Eevee's genetic structure and disposition to be even cuter.
Appearance: It now has pinkish fur and a fluffier neck tuft.

When Galarian Eevee is leveled up while holding a Soft Sand, it evolves into Galarian Vaporeon.

Galarian Vaporeon
Type: Ground/Fairy (no other Pokémon has this type combo)
Ability: Sand Force (HA: Sand Stream)
Description: Vaporeon has adapted to a calm lifestyle on sandy deserts and beaches. Its sand runs as smooth as water.
Appearance: Galarian Vaporeon is a beige in color with a dark brown spiky neck frill and a much shorter less mermaid-like tail.

When Galarian Eevee is leveled up while holding a Metal Coat, it evolves into Galarian Jolteon.

Galarian Jolteon
Type: Steel/Fairy (Mawile, Klefki, Magearna, Zacian)
Description: Galarian Jolteon has become metallic though its electricity has dulled. It can still run blisteringly fast.
Appearance: Galarian Jolteon looks nearly robotic, with metallic spiky fur and bolt-like things on its neck.

When Galarian Eevee is leveled up while holding a Hard Stone, it evolves into Glarian Flareon.

Galarian Flareon
Type: Rock/Fairy (Carbink, Diancie)
Description: Flareon has become much cooler and sharper. It lives in rocky cliff areas.
Appearance: Galarian Flareon is a dark brown that's still fluffy, but also has many spikes upon its sides.

When Galarian Eevee is leveled up during the night while holding a Spell Tag, it evolves into Galarian Espeon.

Galarian Espeon
Type: Ghost/Fairy (Mimikyu)
Ability: Pixilate (HA: Aftermath)
Description: Galarian Espeon has developed ghostly powers, although lost some of its intelligence in the process.
Appearance: Galarian Espeon is a spooky black and green, and boasts three tails with a ghostly energy on the ends.

When Galarian Eevee is leveled up during the day while holding a Poison Barb, it evolves into Galarian Umbreon.

Galarian Umbreon
Type: Poison/Fairy* (G-Weezing)
Ability: Pixilate (HA: Aftermath)
Description: Galarian Umbreon has become much more toxic and sinister, its own sweat droplets corroding everything they touch. However, this poison can be made into sweet-smelling fragrances.
Appearance: Galarian Umbreon is a deep purple with pink band-like markings around its legs.
Note: Its typing is a reference to the fact that Umbreon was originally intended to be a Poison-type

When Galarian Eevee is leveled up while holding a Silver Powder, it evolves into Galarian Leafeon.

Galarian Leafeon
Type: Bug/Fairy (Cutiefly line)
Ability: Swarm (HA: Heatproof)
Description: Galarian Leafeon has adapted to be a cheerful Bug-type to deal with the bug-types that formerly preyed on it.
Appearance: Galarian Leafeon is a light green all over its body, with goggle-like eyes and clearly-jointed legs.

When Galarian Eevee is leveled up while holding a Sharp Beak, it evolves into Galarian Glaceon.

Galarian Glaceon
Type: Flying/Fairy (Togepi line)
Ability: Gale Wings (HA: Heatproof)
Description: Galarian Glaceon has adapted to warm high-altitude environments and gained the ability to fly.
Appearance: Galarian Glaceon still retains its general coloration but has new wing-like limbs and a more stream-lined appearance. Its tail also appears feathery.

When Galarian Eevee is leveled up while holding a Dragon Fang, it evolves into Galarian Sylveon.

Galarian Sylveon
Type: Dragon/Fairy* (Mega-Altaria)
Ability: Dragonate* (HA: Thick Fat)
Description: Galarian Sylveon is still friendly towards its allies, but is now incredibly hostile towards its enemies.
Appearance: Galarian Sylveon has a reddish-pink and blue color-scheme with no white (as well as spikes), and its ribbons are now replaced with draconic whiskers.
Note: G-Sylveon's tying is a reference to the fact that so many thought it would have a Dragon-type counterpart.
Note: Dragonate is a new ability which is basically a Dragon-type Pixilate

Galarian Eevee has two new eeveelutions: Scuffeon and Baseon, which it can evolve into if leveled up holding a Black Belt or Silk Scarf respectively.

Scuffeon
Type: Fighting/Fairy (unused type-combo)
Ability: Scrappy (HA: Defiant)
Description: Scuffeon uses many graceful styles of fighting to defeat its enemies with ease.
Appearance: Scuffeon is a reddish-pink in coloration, with bandage-like markings near its paws.

Baseon
Type: Normal/Fairy (Azurill, Igglybuff line)
Ability: Normalize (HA: Stamina)
Description: Baseon is said to be the perfect Eeveelution, as it incorporates the traits of all other evolutions. However, its DNA has stabilized and it is fully locked into this form.
Appearance: Baseon is a spiky/fluffy bigger Eevee, though with longer legs. It also has various traits of the other eeveelutions, like markings on its lower legs resembling those of Umbreon and Scuffeon, or its neck ribbons being like Sylveon's.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I'd love to see Ice-type regional variants of Rockruff and Lycanroc based on Arctic wolves

NeedsAName

I'd love to see Ice-type regional variants of Rockruff and Lycanroc based on Arctic wolves

While those would probably be very... cool, I really hate how we're getting so many Ice-type regional variants (Sandslash, Sandshrew, Vulpix, Ninetales, Mr. Mime, Darumaka, and Darmanitan). I want to get 10-15 new and amazing Ice-types per region til Gen XV, not a few moderately cool new Ice-types and six regional variants of Pokémon from Kanto or Unova. And Rockruff and Lycanroc are well-known and have received a lot of attention since their introduction, negating the need for a regional variant. Regional variants should go to uncommon, lesser-known and lesser-used Pokémon, like Dunsparce or Luvdisc or Leavanny, and not well-known fan-favorites like the Kanto starters or Ditto or Lucario.

Luthor

Another thing I would like with a regional variant is for there to be a variant that gains bug type. Something like Gliscor or Flygon would be the obvious choice but I'm sure with a bit of inventiveness they could come up with multiple options. Personally I could see it working with Kingler but that's probably just me. (and Kingler is already in Galar so it probably would need to be another region.)

Last edited:

NeedsAName

Another thing I would like with a regional variant is for there to be a variant that gains bug type. Something like Gliscor or Flygon would be the obvious choice but I'm sure with a bit of inventiveness they could come up with multiple options. Personally I could see it working with Kingler but that's probably just me. (and Kingler is already in Galar so it probably would need to be another region.)

Bug/Dragon Flygon needs to be a thing.