• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A 12 Year Old: Too Old For Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

empoleon1720

Is amused.
I know what you're thinking: Is this kid crazy?!? No. I'm not. I'll tell who is, though.

1. People riding bus,
2. Classmates,
3. Older sibling,
4. And even friends.

What should I tell them? Description: Bus: A kid I know makes fun of me, yet the ONLY game he likes is anything Mario- related. Classmates- rumors Passed on by people saying, "SO and SO LIKES POKIMAN! OMG LOL!!1" Older sibling- sees me playing Pokemon. Friends- I ask So and So if I can trade, while another friend overhears me. That now other 'Former' friend spreads it. I am sick and tired of people changing the way about how I look at all the sources of entertainment there are out there. I need some backup, some comeback, whatever to get the point to them. I want to enjoy playing Pokemon games without a hectic life full of nasty remarks.

Hyper Chibi Absol

The Dark Goddess
Ugh... I hate it when people say that it's just for little kids. Pokemon has many things in it that I don't think any little kid would get. Young children wouldn't be able to understand EV training unless told.

I'm 18 and I still like Pokemon. I get comments on how it's only "For Kids" aswell. Just ignore them. Be proud that you're a fan. That's all I can say. :3

Sherlock Holmes

Pokemon Detective
....Don't tell them anything. They seem too dumb to understand human language. Or the concept of an argument. Even if you are right, they won't listen to you. Therefore, ignore them. Or punch them in the face.

I think you accidentally double posted this thread, so I'll just c+p my response from that one seeing as people are replying to this one...

I would just ignore them. Be proud of the fact that you're a Pokemon fan. I'm 16 and I still love it. And many people on this site are way over 12 and enjoy Pokemon.
Knowing me, I would say something noobish like "you're just jealous you're not cool enough to like Pokemon!" But you shouldn't, because that would probably make you look stupid.
You don't make fun of the things that they like, do you?
And if you don't, they shouldn't either. Tell 'em that. People riding the bus and classmates who aren't your friends probably aren't even worth your time really.

...This probably isn't really the answer you're looking for, but stuff like this just irks me so much...

Eon_is_not_the_end

~Mentally Unstable~
Don't listen to those little losers out there. Pokemon is a good RPG/Strategy game, and i doubt any of those people would know a good RPG/Strategy game if it came behind them and said "I'm a good RPG/Strategy game."

Sorry, admit it. You had to see something like this come up in this thread eventually lol.

I have the same problem sometimes. Except mine is on a smaller scale than yours. Only a couple people at school make fun of me playing pokemon, including one of my friends, but he makes fun of it in a friendly way, and he doesn't spread it around the entire school. Not trying to make you feel bad or anything like that, though.

Also, if even your friends are saying that about you, they're not really your friends. Ditch them while you can, is what i say. One more thing, don't think that if you drop playing the game period, that'll solve the issue, because while it may externally solve the issue, you'll know inside that you just gave in to what they wanted, and you'll know they succeded.

One last thing (I mean it this time xD), if you think 12 is too old to play pokemon, tell that to some adults (like my dad) who like pokemon. I'm 13, and i've been playing plenty of the series, although i guess you shouldn't be too surprised by that.

Last edited:

Spaekle Oddberry

stayin' alive
Like what you like, man. Your classmates/friends are probably insecure kids who are so in a hurry to be all 'big' and 'cool' and 'grown-up' that they need to pick on you to feel like they are.

Most people usually outgrow that; I got picked on for wearing a Pokemon shirt in middle school, but now I'm seventeen and the most I get when I bring my SP/DS to school is people asking me what version it is or reminiscing about when they used to play it. After D/P came out I actually came home one day with a few new friend codes. :]

Celtic Warrior

If you wanna use a comeback, I suggest this one:

"I'm having fun playing this game. Maybe you should give it a try and you might like it aswell man". If you say something real calm and mature like that, you'll show them they don't make you upset or annoyed.

I don't have anybody say anything like that that to me though. Mainly because nobody knows I play Pokemon.

Chagen46

Hell Crasher
You're 12, and people think you're too old for pokemon?

I'm 13, and I have tons of friends at my school that are 13-14 that play pokemon!

Really, I've been insulted once in like, three months about my love of pokemon.

Dattebayo

Banned
Don't listen to those guys, they don't even know the terms for "Rated E for Everyone". You should to try to insult them back by saying stuff on games they like (ex. Halo is for noobs).

fierylord

Charmander! Yay!
I don't watch the Anime or play the TCG anymore... The Videogames are the only good part of Pokemon if you're 11 or older.

IcyDragon0605

Look over there!
Shouldn't this be in the advice thread? My friends are just like yours apparently. If you tell them off they'll say something like "So, you like pokemon, haha,". You will like pokemon if YOU want to, they have NO reason to make fun of you. Besides they're missing out, pokemon is a great franchise.

chimkong

Im gonna be 20 in the spring, and i love pkmn....(actually i started playing just a year from now, but watching it since i was young)........My brother sometimes say that pkmn diamond is a kids game....i say if it is then win even one match on it and i'll accept that it is a chilidh game..........Dont listen to the "losers" who make fun of pkmn.........

BTW a thread like this already exists.

Chagen46

Hell Crasher
Don't listen to those guys, they don't even know the terms for "Rated E for Everyone". You should to try to insult them back by saying stuff on games they like (ex. Halo is for noobs).

Especially since Halo IS for N00bs.

Real gamers play Gears of War.

empoleon1720

Is amused.
You're 12, and people think you're too old for pokemon?

I'm 13, and I have tons of friends at my school that are 13-14 that play pokemon!

Really, I've been insulted once in like, three months about my love of pokemon.
Lucky you. You should see my school-
Principal = Devil,
Vice Principal = Devil's new son,
Classmates = Hell's inmates.

No one at my school likes pokemon. I wish they did- that would make it alot easier to fit in- because it's always "Hey! it's that Pokeman Boy! Nar har har!" and "ugh! pikachu is dumb. You suck. go away." (Pikachu is of course the only pokemon they know, because as you can see they never played the game to even find out who Riachu is) And this is what my friend does to cover my back- it actually helps, too; "No. Did you know that you can shop in pokemarts, and buy machine guns?" And you know what, the people who make fun of me say, "Oh. uhhh.... well... I guess that's pretty cool...." <- and of course, the only games pokemon-haters like involve weapons. (Don't get me wrong- there are good games out there like that.) But I cannot stress getting on that bus. It's still going on, too. :(
All I wish is that people would leave others be who they want to be, do what they want to do, and play the video games they enjoy playing.

cloudk

hates you.
Lucky you. You should see my school-
Principal = Devil,
Vice Principal = Devil's new son,
Classmates = Hell's inmates.

No one at my school likes pokemon. I wish they did- that would make it alot easier to fit in- because it's always "Hey! it's that Pokeman Boy! Nar har har!" and "ugh! pikachu is dumb. You suck. go away." (Pikachu is of course the only pokemon they know, because as you can see they never played the game to even find out who Riachu is) And this is what my friend does to cover my back- it actually helps, too; "No. Did you know that you can shop in pokemarts, and buy machine guns?" And you know what, the people who make fun of me say, "Oh. uhhh.... well... I guess that's pretty cool...." <- and of course, the only games pokemon-haters like involve weapons. (Don't get me wrong- there are good games out there like that.) But I cannot stress getting on that bus. It's still going on, too. :(
All I wish is that people would leave others be who they want to be, do what they want to do, and play the video games they enjoy playing.

Perhaps you should entice one of your closer pals into playing pokemon and go deep and talk about evs and all? Once the 2 of you likes it and play, the word would probably spread out and maybe some people in your sch would try pkmn.

Vasooki

Favorite pokemo? No.
My goodness. I congratulate you for being brave enoguh to say the word pokemon at school. I would not even let anyone know at my school, because I saw that happening to other people. I play dumb. Gosh...

Anyway, I'm a girl, and occasionally, someone will find out and I will get teased for a few months until they realize I know nothing.

Recently I have been in your boat, since one of my friends would be what could be considered a classic nerd, though I love her to pieces. She isnt afraid to let people know that she loves video games though. Dx Really hard for me, since I managed to get into our school's equivalent of a popular circle. Not really popular, like you see on TV though... anyways, since everyone now knows my face, lots of stupid people like to tease me about it, even though my friends dont. Except one..

Now, what you should say to those people is that pokemon not only improves reading skills, it teaches culture, and mythology from lots of countrys. It also improves motivation, perserverance, and math skills, if you use the EV training. You are also able to win money and various other things from tournaments.

After you tell them that, see what they say. I'm sure they have second thoughts. ;)

Last edited:

Raikou_fan

I'm 15, and I have friends several years older than me, and we all still play pkmn.

What does it matter what ppl at school think? And if your friends will really act like that are they really your friends at all? Ppl who don't even know you, and yet will still take the time to talk about you are just random jerks who need to find lives of their own.

Pkmn does teach alot about culture(especially japanese) and mythology from all over the world. It has actualy helped me in a few classes that involve mythology.

Don't worry about what ppl say, it's just hollow words and gossip. It means NOTHING. All that matters is that you like it. If anyone has the nerve to bug you about it just tell them to go get a life of their own and stay out of yours.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I get really tired when others think Pokemon is for little kids, and it's stupid. It's their opinons, and I don't care about them if they're mean comments. I have friends all around the US, and the ones that are in High School from around 2002-2004, they say they like Pokemon a lot. And no, most of them are not anime freaks at all. I still have a tiny few friends that have some intreset. Others are hardley into the series/games anymore. I'm 15, and I've liked it since the very start. It's how people grow up, they can like Pokemon if they want to or they don't, just like older things, as the years go by. My friends from 5th-7th grade are all out of interest of Pokemon; they don't like it as much as I do anymore. For me, I just have that interest of keeping my love of Pokemon for a long time, which I never gotten rid of. If I like it till the day I die, then so be it; Pokemon is apparently my whole entire life.

Have they ever looked at the front of a Pokemon game? It says E for Everyone. Not just two year olds, but everyone. I always just say "Could you do the mathematical skills required in EV training?" Then I just think of some really hard math problem and tell them to do that for about 50 pokes and they walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.