• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A 12 Year Old: Too Old For Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7eeveelutions

Master of the Skies
No kidding. I'm 16 and I still play the games and watch the anime. And I really can't see why everyone is so excited about a vampire book.

Last edited:

Hot_Pepper_Cheese

Tenor Drummer 08-09
I play the games now only but when I was young I played the games, watched the anime, and play the TCG (well more like collecting). Nowadays, I won't lie and say I don't like Pokemon but I won't go all nuts and shout I love it either. I bet most people don't really care if I do or don't.

Actually, at my school, when we do talk about Pokemon, we talk about the good ol' days. We talk about playing the old games or watching the show, it brings up fond memories.

Theif

The King of Darkness
"12 year old too old for pokemon ?" i dont think so,alot of the people on serebii is 12+ so i dont think its too childish for 12 years old.

Metsuki

Considering Research
There's nothing wrong with liking Pokemon, regardless of the age you're in. People sometimes have nothing better to do than talk. Ignore them and live your life. Who cares what others should think?

I believe that those very people truly have and always will have a place in their hearts for Pokemon, which is why they cannot resist talking about it in the first place.

SapphireWonder

Too old for...Pokemon?...What?...WHAT?!...Pokemon is for everyone, don't let peer pressure get in the way. Either that or tell them to respect your opinion, because we all have opinions.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
Being a fan of Final Fantasy as well, I'm not sure I can quite agree, but you've basically nailed it on all the turn-based games (which forms much of the main core of the entire series), really. But yeah, in Final Fantasy turn-based games, basically all you need is EXP. and a 'super-effective' attack.

I know aye... >.>

But maybe I can stay to preach about the wonders of competitive battling xD

Yes, PREACH TILL THE SUN GOES DOWN AND THE COWS COME HOME!

This applies to all people "scared" that they might be too old for Pokemon because their friends think so.

Mine do too, but they accept me for it. Mostly because I point out their Yu-Gi-Oh card addiction.

Fact of the matter is, you're only as old as you feel, and if you're feeling great and enjoying yourself, that's how old you are! Ya know, the feeling-great-and-enjoying-yourself age.

On a quick note, my iPod just now beeped a few times in rapid succession. What the hell?

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
Nobodies ever too old to play something they enjoy, just ignore the people with the big mouths and carry on doing what you enjoy doing, it's no buisness of theirs.

~-Overheat-~

Black/White!
Hell no! People normally start liking the show when they're about 7. When they're twelve, they move on to Simpsons, Friends etc But Pokemon is competely okay.They first laugh, then dont do anything. Plus i dont think any 12 year old can properly EV train and breed a pokemon to perfection.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
Then I move away? xD

Truth is, I only started playing Pokemon games when I was 13. Before so, I was only a negligible fan who occasionally watched the anime and only knew Pokemon by their TCG typings (not that I even knew the rules).

Then you run for the hills. All of them. Every. Single. Hill.
Except Silent Hill. Generally don't wanna go there. Kind of erm... Not nice.

Also, don't preach hate. That's terrorism.

Retirement? xD

Yes. I'm already planning it, got some incontinence pants (just in case) and a nice rocking chair. I'm only 19 but, plan ahead!

I'll probably be playing Pokemon even then. Maybe. I certainly wouldn't stop because someone else decided I was 'too old'... If I listened to other people, I'd be a very strange little puppet...

BunnieRabbot91

Live Without Warning
I don't think you can be too old for Pokemon. I've been a fan of Pokémon since I was younger back in the days when there were only 151 Pokémon. Tbh, I still enjoy playing the games and watching the anime as much as I did then and I'm 17 now! XD

I get mocked by a few idiots every now and then but I don't really care anymore. Some of my friends still even play the games with me we also talk about how amazing R/B/Y were and tbh I still play those games through. It doesn't matter what people think if it makes you happy and you enjoy it then to hell with 'em!

Last edited:

Jerre

Gogoat!
I'm 21 and i like the games and Anime series. I'm never too old for it. I liked it since the start of the Kanto days.

PurpleMew

no promises
Wow there have been too many threads like this and anyone is able to play pokemon what ever the age they are and if your questioning this then why are you on the site ?

Rex Kamex

I don't think you can be too old for Pokemon. That being said...

The thing is little kids don't get the concept of it...

But they do get the concept of it. Just because older people do doesn't mean younger kids do not.

Dattebayo said:
Don't listen to those guys, they don't even know the terms for "Rated E for Everyone".

And the thing about that is that it's trying to emphasize that even younger people can play the game (since it isn't inappropriate- double negative), not that even older people can play the game.

~-Overheat-~ said:
Plus i dont think any 12 year old can properly EV train and breed a pokemon to perfection.

Again, they don't have to.

JolteonShock

<<Squishy loves you!
Set something up wher your beside your friend and say, "Oh my gosh, you got a machine gun! Now you can evolve Shaymin!" Then make your friend say something like, "This is way better than Halo 3."
Everyone will either drop it or stare.

Nikacho

"Oh, HER again."
Say this:
"Oh my arceus, you are as slow as a shuckle"
Then stare at them like this: >.o
It is like an automatic shut-off system. Works every time.

Poke'wolf

Pokemon master
What the **** happened?! I remember back in 2005 when everyone in my school had a pokemon game! Now if even say the word pokemon everyone is like OMG LOL YUR SOO GEY!!

sweetpikachu

PYT. ♥ (:
Oh. My. God. Seriously, there are 20 YEAR OLDS who still like Pokemon! It really bothers me when people make fun of you just cuz ya still like Pokemon. I have 4 friends who still watch Pokemon and play the games. It's not like Pokemon was just meant for 8 year olds. Pokemon was meant for all ages. Boy or girl. My friends and I talk about Pokemon all the time. We get laughed at alot because of it. I don't care, to be honest. It's stupid that people think just because you like Pokemon and you're like...I don't know, 11, they think that you're some kind of retarded freak.

Age and pokemon seems to be an evergrowing concern for teenagers, and more than likely this will always be a topic of concern if you let it get to you. With this I am trying to say to you to enjoy every pokemon game you can get because, afterall, a video game such as pokemon is meant to be played and enjoyed. Do not freak because you are 20 or 30 years old and you still like little monsters that have to be captured. No. Keep on enjoying this game until you can, so that one day, when you get tired of it you have nothing to regret about it. People may get annoying sometimes but they are not perfect.
As for myself, I am 21 and I have been playing pokemon since I was 10 and I still like the game. I simply see it as a personal passion. For example, you may like listening to classical music and others like to listen to metal. You may then wonder, "what is it they hear in metal? It is only noise and shrieks!" (not that I something against metal. I actually like metal and classical music). So you liking pokemon is something similar to the example above!
-If it makes you feel any better: you'll be amazed at the number of people in college that play pokemon or other games related to pokemon. I was amazed too! Just be yourself.

Brumrha

Banned
12 years is too old?

You're joking, right?

I'd say if someone were to make fun of you because of you liking Pokemon, just ask them, straight in their face, "Have you ever played any Pokemon game, or watched the Pokemon anime?" If the answer to that is a no, then everything that they're saying is all because of a little something called prejudice.

Sure, some of the Pokemon are small & cute & whatnot, most of them aren't; matter of fact, they can be downright monstrous. Another thing is that they can fight against one another, mainly for competitive reasons, but there are other viable reasons for this.

& take the actual Pokemon RPGs; at first, it looks like something very simple, but as you delve deeper into its mechanics, you'll find out that raising Pokemon can be a complicated procedure, with EVs, IVs, Egg moves & such. Combine that with all the TMs, & the fact that there is a vast amount of Pokemon available to you, & you'll have literally millions of ways to make up a competitive team. & since people will most likely be doing the same, it no longer becomes something that only little children enjoy; it'll also attract the thinking man & the strategist.

There you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.