• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A 12 Year Old: Too Old For Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chagen46

Hell Crasher
Well, It looks like I got off the clear this time;chalk up another narrow escape...

Anyway, Do the time-tested tactic:Ignore them. They say these things because they're looking for a reaction from you, almost like a "high". If you ignore them, they'll get bored and move on to someone else.

piplup_777

Paparazzi ♪♫
okay i love pokemon but i have never been made fun of for it
at school i never mention it or talk about it .even when people talk smak
like pokemon sucks i just ignore it

my friends not one likes pokemon one of them is really close and he used to like it but not no more but he nevers make fun of me for it even though we never play or talk about it he knows i like still and he respects that

family well my brother loves pokemon too becuase he is younger he likes everything i like
but my cousins dont even know i play cuz i dont talk about it in front of them

the point is that even though im a big fan i dont go telling evrybody because i know the remarks that people make

its too late for u to keep it low but still

for the guyy on the bus : he probably still likes something that he liked when he was smaller something that is for little kids (Barney)

kids at school: dont listen to them and stand up for what you like, people tend to bring you down,and now more since they have found a "way"

Brother: let him be u know his secrets too

in conclusion dont stress for what people think plus your pretty young your 12
im 14 and like u have seen there are people older than you that like Pokemon
and not all are losers( no offfence to anyone)

friends: the real friends will like you know matter what you like ,and yes even Barney

Shepard

metaphysician
Honestly, it shouldn't matter that you're 12 and play pokemon. I played pokemon when I was 12. Hell, I'm 25 and I still play pokemon. I've even taught some students in high school who either still played it or thought I was marginally cooler as a teacher for playing it myself.

I know 12 can be an awkward age for oh so many reasons, but who really cares what games you play? That's your own business. One of the great things about pokemon is that it does appeal to people of all ages, including 12-year-olds.

In conclusion, you shouldn't care if people remark that you play pokemon. Just tell them you like the game, end of story. Honestly, there are an infinite number of worse things you could be made fun of than playing pokemon. Just keep in perspective that it's just a game, you play it because you like it, and anyone looking to berate you for that isn't worth the air you'd waste on a 'comeback'

One more thing: If you're that concerned about being picked on for liking it, just don't advertise that you like it.

Penguin_Man

Dude, I'm 16 and I play. Don't worry what people say, because they really don't know anything. They feel the need to embarass you because they're insecure. They're the losers.

Deoxysmatter

OH MAI GAWD!
I agree. I'm 13 and don't give a hoot of what others think. Heck, my aunt says playing pokemon is bad for my personality.
Like Chagen46 said, just ignore them.

I'm 18, and I used to have that problem when I was in middle school. In fact, I considered myself a "closet fan" of Pokemon, just because I didn't want my peers or siblings making fun of me. It wasn't until my freshman year of high school when I "came out" to my sister. :/ I used to watch Pokemon in secret, but one day I just didn't care anymore and watched it in our living room. My sister looked at me kind of funny, but I didn't show any response.

The way I see it, as well as others, is that you just shouldn't make a big deal about it. Besides, it's not a big deal anyway! lol It's just an interest you happen to have! When people see me drawing Pokemon on my homework, or see my big Turtwig pillow in my dorm, I don't care at all! They ask if I like Pokemon, I say yes, and that's the end of the conversation most of the time. You just should be honest, and not make a big deal about it.

Chagen46

Hell Crasher
I agree. I'm 13 and don't give a hoot of what others think. Heck, my aunt says playing pokemon is bad for my personality.
Like Chagen46 said, just ignore them.

Holy crap, someone actually acknowledged my existence?

Mind=blown.

Sherlock Holmes

Pokemon Detective
Oh, and if you feel angry you can always answer something really childish, but that will make them angry.

"Haha you like pokemon?"
"Yes. And so does your mother. She told me yesterday, after the sex."
Or something like that.

bartthecartoon

Beginning Trainer
I find that they best way to avoid the comments about Pokemon being for kids, is to just not tell anyone that you play. I'm 18 and I have a room full of Pokemon and yet not even my closest friends know about it, I had a serious girlfriend for 7 months and she never had any idea that I played Pokemon. It may not be the most noble way of dealing with these people, but I think hiding it may be the best way.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Yeah, who cares what others think about the series? They got problems too, but if they're going to trash on the games and anime, then I doubt their opinons would be known to the world. Just, just ignorn them; it works if you try.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I'm also 28. That woman with the largest Pokémon collection is in her 30s. I know fans into their 50s, and they're still active so they'll most likely be fans for some time yet. Heck, there's a mod on Bulbagarden who's in his 50s.

Amazing Red

I don't care if people tell me about pokemon. This is my personality and they can't change it.

Rodrigo

The Firey Inferno
Well at least I'm not the only one getting stabbed with the meanness of people.

Not trying to make light of your situation, but I just had to make myself feel a little better...the way my life is going at the moment...

Back on topic, I'm 16 and believe me, I get a lot of crap from people too. I mean, high school is going to be rough if you let this thing get to you. My advice, and you can take it or leave it, is to just do what I do when people don't accept things the way I do(don't worry, this includes Pokémon)---ignore it.

Let me explain. If they are your friends, tell them about it. Let them have a little taste of Pokémon. Explain to them the deeper meanings of it, and show them how it is more than "a crappy kids game." If they don't accept it, then fine. They don't have to like Pokémon. Everyone is different. But just tell them to stop making fun of you for playing it. If they stop, then they are really your friends. However, if they continue, then they are not your friends. That's where you ex-communicate them(I just really wanted to use that word. Basically have nothing to do with them).

Now if it's just some random person being mean, then tell them this: "Look, I like Pokémon. I don't need this crap from you, or anyone else. If you don't like Pokémon, that's fine, but don't bother me about it then. Keep your thoughts to yourself." Then walk away. That's it. Talk loud so other people can hear you. Using this method, people will see that you stood up for yourself, and see that you faced the situation in a mature way, and didn't flip out and give in to what they are looking for. Also, by walking away, you avoid any comeback that they might have in store, and you leave them stunned.

With your brother/sister(idk which one. Honestly I didn't even read all the other posts in this thread. I just wanted to voice my opinion before I had to get off. I'll probably read them tomorrow.), I'm not sure what you want about that one. All you said was that he/she "sees me playing Pokemon." If he/she is giving you a hard time, just ignore them completely. Eventually they'll need you for something, and that's when you tell them to knock it off. If they don't, just ignore them. You don't need them in your life. Eventually they will back off.

The bus situation, well...just sit somewhere else.

This advice might seem a bit abrasive, but trust me. Most of the time this stuff works. And you really need to stop this now while you have a chance, because things are going to get much worse in high school. Trust me. I'm still trying to erase things that I should've stopped back in middle school. Stop it now while it's still small.

Well that's all, better go finish my work. Night. >.>

~Rodrigo

AbsolutePwnage

The Lonely Weavile
Well my friends at school do know of me playing pokemon. Although ive seen other people getting picked of and it makes me so mad. I mean its a video game..?
Just because its named Pokemon doesnt mean its for 5 year olds. I dought one could even beat the games.
But people are just going to keep making fun so all you can do is ignore them.

When people who don't know what the hell they're talking about think of Pokemon, all they know is "OmG PIKAcHUZ n ASh Iz GAY lololololololol!!!111!!!1one!!!" They don't see the simple equation of Anime =/= Games. If Dialga or Rayquaza was the accepted mascot for Pokemon, and they saw the strategic and logical side of the games rather than seeing Pikachu and Squirtle and Gotta Catch 'em All and **** like that, they would probably think differently. It's all a matter of idiocy and ignorance.

I'm 14 and I'm still here. Roll on.

Hello, I'm 18, I love pokemon and have been playing since it came stateside. I even have the classic battle music as my ringtone <3
Also my Dad plays, and hes 40.
But anyway, be damn proud of what you love, and if they make fun of you for it it is because they are weak and wish to feel big. Don't waste your time talking to them because they are pathetic, and will realize it in the future when they are old, alone, and nobody cares.

King Edwin

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I knowe how you feel. I'm 11, and there are some kids at school who like pokemon but there are still some who POGEYMANZ IS SO LIEK GAY!
Of course, that was a dramatization.But I never mention Pokemon at school or talk about it anyways. If I did I would probably get some "haha yu like pokemon its for little kids youre such a loser haha" replies.

I knowe how you feel. I'm 11, and there are some kids at school who like pokemon but there are still some who POGEYMANZ IS SO LIEK GAY!
Of course, that was a dramatization.But I never mention Pokemon at school or talk about it anyways. If I did I would probably get some "haha yu like pokemon its for little kids youre such a loser haha" replies.

Wait until high school. If you admit to playing Pokemon, they'll string you up by your genitals and burn you at the stake. Trust me, I knew a guy.

jk. But really, this guy is right. Unless you know a person plays Pokemon, don't bring it up. It will save you a good bit of embarassment and insults.

esm8m

Pokémaniac
You probably have enough advice to counter almost anything. But I'll give you even more!

Point out to people that there's a Pokémon product line (Link here) that's aimed toward adults. Then point out that companies don't make products that don't have an audience. In short, there must be adult Pokémon fans out there.

If that's not enough, rattle off a speech of some sort about the complexity of a Pokémon battle. Hopefully that's enough to scare off almost everyone. And whoever's left, you just have to deal with, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.