• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A 90’s Pokemon Player Wakes up in Today’s World

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Imagine a Diehard Pokémon Fan from the 90’s who just recently Completed Pokémon Red/Blue and saw Pokémon The First Movie. A terrible accident leaves him in a 20+ year coma. He finally wakes up and doesn’t initially perceive the time passed. How would he react to how Pokémon is today? Does he adapt fairly quickly or experience what Captain America experienced?
Discuss

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Well, he might be surprised the series is still going strong. Most people, even fans, assumed it was a fad. (Going by memory.)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
He or she will complain the show changed too much and that it's not "his pokémon" :p

Jokes aside, I think it'll be psimilar to the Captain America in the sense (s)he'll have do adapt to the all the changes on technology and society itself. But at the same it'll be different since the person will have become an adult while still keeping the mindset of a child.

Since we are talking 20 years here, I think the person's biggest concern would be catching on with family and friends.

TornadoAdvisory

The Imminent Storm
Well, I'd imagine they would be caught off guard by a few things, or at least be surprised:

- That the fairy-type exists now, though seeing that it's part of one of Pokemon's most well-known game mechanics (types, duh), they'd probably adapt to this one eventually. They might also be surprised how well fairies do against dragon-types.

- All the new designs. I figure that they'd either dismiss them all, or be more open-minded and enjoy them.

- 'Dexit'...yeah, I'm not going down that route. Moving on.

- Some of the 'generational' battle mechanics, such as Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, and Dynamax/Gigantimax. I feel like for the former two, our recently awoken 90's Pokemon fan might question why those mechanics were only in one generation once they learn more about them, and for all of the mechanics in general there could be some complaints about power creep. On the other side of the coin though, They'd probably still be fascinated by these mechanics regardless.

- Overall, that the franchise is still going strong after 20-something years. I could be see them being surprised that the series has had as much staying power as it's had and maybe even pick up right where they left off.

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

I think they'd be amazed at how much certain features in the games have evolved since Red and Blue. For one, the Pokemon storage system can now store four times as much Pokemon compared to those games. And there's also Double Battles and Triple Battles.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
I'd give them a mask and tell them a pandemic is happening instead
Might as well give them a Pokémon Mask. I have one with the 3 original starters on it.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
- That the fairy-type exists now, though seeing that it's part of one of Pokemon's most well-known game mechanics (types, duh), they'd probably adapt to this one eventually. They might also be surprised how well fairies do against dragon-types.

Not just the fairy type but dark and steel as well. Considering the timeline given, GS wouldn't be release by then

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
They’d be wondering what happened for the world to be in literal flames right now

If current original fans are anything to go by, they’ll be either unnecessarily outraged that it’s not their childhood game or overwhelmed with how much the series has changed. At least they’ll have 4 generations worth of Kanto to play through to slowly ease them in

TwilightBlade

They'd probably be overwhelmed by all the new features and Pokemon and lose interest in the series lol. Or at least I would if I were put in that situation. Even now I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be because of all the changes that the franchise has gone through in the past few years :[

Leonhart

Imagineer
If I were in that person's shoes, I'd probably be mildly surprised that the franchise is still going since most people in the late 90's probably thought that the franchise would become a quick fad. Also, I think that person would find a lot of the newer Pokemon unappealing. It's easier to get used to Pokemon designs gradually, but maybe not so simple if you get introduced to 740 or so new Pokemon all at once.

TornadoAdvisory

The Imminent Storm
Not just the fairy type but dark and steel as well. Considering the timeline given, GS wouldn't be release by then

Very true.

Adding onto that, from what I remember the dark and steel types were added to balance out the psychic-type, which was very powerful in Gen I. Thus, fans just coming back may be surprised to find that the Psychic-type isn't as busted as it used to be.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
Pre gen8, I think it’d be a huge case of culture shock; Considering how basic the original games and even n64 spinoffs were, it would probably be too much to take in all at once. Getting hit with a dozen or so mechanics like breeding, natures, abilities, mega evolutions/z moves/gigantmax, and so on All at once would be overwhelming imo. Would probably need to rely on sites like this and the fans on said sites to explain everything as though he were a newcomer since so many changes have been made in 20 years, it would be almost like playing for the first time.

since the release of swsh though, I would just tell the person “back in the coma” as the fandom has become pretty bad since Gen 8 started.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I'd probably tell them you'd have to have been around during each generation to fully enjoy them. With 20+ years of content to binge they might rush through everything rather than taking the time to fully enjoy it.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’d imagine that the conversation and reaction would be similar to this but you take out the Mega Evolution part and tweak the number of Pokémon known so far.