• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A basic guide to EVs, IVs and natures

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunar22

Da Boss Nigg@

flameswy

Lord of Light
is there seriously no pokemon thats good with a normal nature like quirky?
none at all?

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Ok this has helped a lot and now my friend is going to be surprised. Muhahaha! I do have a question, if your pokemon is lvl 100 can you still EV train them? Also how can you EV train your starter if it is forced to fight pokemon early on and get you through the game and say you are level 40ish right now with no way of knowing what EV spread you have?

Also Blue Harvest is there any way you can make a guide for held items? I'm so confused by what a pokemon should hold, I keep hearing Life Orb and some Sashes. What do they even do? I looked up Life Orb and it increases attack at the cost of hp but is it worth it?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Ok this has helped a lot and now my friend is going to be surprised. Muhahaha! I do have a question, if your pokemon is lvl 100 can you still EV train them? Also how can you EV train your starter if it is forced to fight pokemon early on and get you through the game and say you are level 40ish right now with no way of knowing what EV spread you have?

According to this, it is possible to EV train at level 100 in BW.

With your starter, most people would breed it later on and EV train the offpsring. You can't really EV train the one you get from the professor because as you said, you're forced to fight a whole variety of Pokemon that give different EVs (unless you can get EV reducing berries, but you can't get those yet in BW I don't think...)

flameswy said:
is there seriously no pokemon thats good with a normal nature like quirky?
none at all?

Natures like Quirky don't boost any of your stats, so you don't really benefit from having them.

shadow000

U mad?
alot of my pokemon have lax nature. I dont want to train my pokemon up to the 80's from lvl one!!! HELP!!!

Blue Harvest is there any way you can make a guide for held items? I'm so confused by what a pokemon should hold, I keep hearing Life Orb and some Sashes. What do they even do? I looked up Life Orb and it increases attack at the cost of hp but is it worth it?

I probably will at some point in the future. An item guide won't take long because theres a grand total of maybe 10 that are actually useful.

Focus Sash is ONLY good on leads (unless you're playing 5th gen then team preview makes them reasonable on one or two non-leads (but DON'T go overboard with them as they are useless once Stealth Rocks is used).

Life Orb gives you a 30% boost at the cost of 10% your health for each Attack you use. It is EXTREMELY good. Pokemon like Infernape or Lucario just don't have the power to sweep without it.

alot of my pokemon have lax nature. I dont want to train my pokemon up to the 80's from lvl one!!! HELP!!!

Find someone friendly enough to do it for you. Many people hack 99,999 Rare Candies so it only takes like 5 minutes to level a Pokemon up that way.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
^ Just EV train it as normal and then put it into the PC, this adds all the EVs you have gained to your stats (assuming they have not got maxed out EVs already).

raza400

Tyranitar Ev's - HELP?!

--I am on pokemon black here--

I have been redirected to this forum and found this very useful guide on ev's and iv's, it was helpful in some cases but i'll tell you my dilemma and see if you can help.

Right, i have a Tyranitar whos nature is Jolly and i have bred him so he has dragon dance, i would like a fully ev trained tyranitar with 252 attack evs, 252 speed evs and 4 hp evs. Well, this is what http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tyranitar website has said anyway. I have looked on sites such as serebii, and they say you can level your speed evs by killing basculin on route 3. I have killed several and my Tyranitar who is level 60 and his speed has gone up a bit but is now staying at one place. Does this mean it i cannot do it any more? I have used 10 speed vitamins on it already as a larvitar at level 1 (I think it is Zinc i used? Im not 100% sure). It is definately the one that raises base speed. I try to use another one now and it says it will have no effect. I'm just wondering why the basculin are not levelling my speed ev's and also should i just continue levelling? or would it be a waste of time? What plan of action should i take? If you think i should start over with a new larvitar can you tell me exactly what to do because this is my first pokemon i have ev trained and im finding it hard to get around. I have read loads of websites about ev's but none are helping me with my problem. I would be very greatful if someone could help me.

You can't use Vitamins once the EVs in that stat reach 100.

If you used the vitamins at level 1, then raised TTar to level 60 you probably collected a bunch of unwanted EVs from the battles it took part in (unless you raised it with Rare Candies or the Daycare). Also use Carbos for speed not Zinc.

Give a new Larvitar 10 Carbos and 10 Protein.
Let it hold a Power Weight and KO 25 Basculin. Then remove the Power Weight and kill two more. This will equal 252 Speed.
Then give it Power.. uhh.. Bracer I think (the one that boosts attack.. it says it in its description) and KO 30 Lillipup and / or Patrat. Then remove the Power item and faint two more. This equals 252 Attack EVs.
Last step is to find and faint two Stunfisk (you don't need to hold an item). This equals 4 HP EVs.

EV training is annoyingly complicated but once you get the basic rules down its pretty easy. Just some basic math. Hope I helped!

raza400

Oh, okay, so im starting a new larvitar, 10 carbos, and 10 protein, but where do i get the power weight from? and how can i ko a basculin with a level 1 larvitar? because if i use another pokemon, doesnt it mess up the evs?

You can get power items from the battle subway.

Lead with the level 1 Larvitar and switch to something else for the KO. EVs don't split like EXP does so this won't mess them up. Another way is to leave Larvitar in the daycare for a long time but this will probably be frustrating since a lot of those fish have a 4x effective Aqua Jet to hit you with.

raza400

oh okay, so i can start with my larvitar, then switch out to like, my emboar or something and ko it and the ev's will still be with larvitar? Oh and is there any way to get more than 3 points for winning 7 battles in the subway? or a faster way? I will be there for ages :/

Thats correct. Your Emboar also will get EVs but they won't split, they multiply. In other words it will work fine.

At battle 21 you fight the subway boss (or something). Hes not too hard and when you beat him you get 10 battle points. You can also do double battles with an AI partner. If your Pokemon suck the AI can usually do decent on its own.

raza400

okay so after 21 battles i should be able to get it, 6 after 14 and 10 for the boss:) thanks for all your help! i really appreciate it:D

Status
Not open for further replies.