• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A basic guide to EVs, IVs and natures

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
^ yep, I think it is easier to breed though, plus these berries are not available yet in b/w.

tieegg

Meticulous Breeder
As an amateur Breeder, I have a few things to add to this.

First off, the Pokerus is a bit more useful than you make it out to be, albeit a bit tricky to get. You can pass the pokerus to POKEMON AND EGGS in your party by battling. Any pokemon with a pokerus may pass it onto any pokemon they are adjacent to in the party ( place them in slot 3-4 for best results). And no, they don't have to participate in the battle itself, just being present in the party is sufficient.

Additionally, I believe the Pokerus doubles EV gained after the power item (allegedly, I've been having trouble confirming this) is accounted. Basically, that should make 1 EV with the corresponding Power item and a pokerus = 10 ev, which can cut your work in half.

I do have an important question however about EV-raising items. Does anyone know if Carbos, Health Wings, et. al. are affected by power items and/or Pokerus?

tieegg

Meticulous Breeder
I believe I am correct in thinking that switching a pokemon out of battle when it is holding a lucky egg, will only gain experience and no effort values?

because I use this method to get movesets and high levels before I begin EV training (apart from vitamins, I will use those straight away as they're very easy to regulate), as it makes the whole process a lot easier.

Actually, you kind of shot yourself in the foot with that one. You receive EV anytime you would get exp.

If you want the pokemon's moves faster, I recommend keeping it in it's unevolved state as long as possible (when applicable). The best ways to level up without adding EV's are the daycare and Rare candies via pickup. In the meantime, give them placeholder attacks that will get them through the training, then you can grind exp for the rest of your moveset.

So for an example, I want Oshawott to learn Swords Dance (level 41), first thing I do is stick him in the daycare until he's at about level 20, then start grinding EV without evolving. Once I hit level 41, I now evolve and have Samurott lvl 42 with swords dance instead of waiting for lvl 57.

Last edited:

Trance

Just a question, I'm trying to max the special atk and the speed of my Larvesta and I read that a power lens (A Pokémon held item that promotes Sp. Atk gain on leveling, but reduces the Speed stat) can help gain +4EVs/defeated opponent for special atk.

Can I know how using a power lens will affect my Larvesta's speed (EV or otherwise)? Thanks!

lunar22

Da Boss Nigg@
Just a question, I'm trying to max the special atk and the speed of my Larvesta and I read that a power lens (A Pokémon held item that promotes Sp. Atk gain on leveling, but reduces the Speed stat) can help gain +4EVs/defeated opponent for special atk.

Can I know how using a power lens will affect my Larvesta's speed (EV or otherwise)? Thanks!

It just slows you temporarily in battle. ( Such as Iron Ball ) Your actual Speed stat shouldn't suffer.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
I still find EVs and Natures and Characteristics and all that stuff confusing, and I've been a fan since FireRed/LeafGreen! Well, I know how to do the basic stuff, but not that advanced Breeding stuff that many people do.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
As an amateur Breeder, I have a few things to add to this.

First off, the Pokerus is a bit more useful than you make it out to be, albeit a bit tricky to get. You can pass the pokerus to POKEMON AND EGGS in your party by battling. Any pokemon with a pokerus may pass it onto any pokemon they are adjacent to in the party ( place them in slot 3-4 for best results). And no, they don't have to participate in the battle itself, just being present in the party is sufficient.

Additionally, I believe the Pokerus doubles EV gained after the power item (allegedly, I've been having trouble confirming this) is accounted. Basically, that should make 1 EV with the corresponding Power item and a pokerus = 10 ev, which can cut your work in half.

I do have an important question however about EV-raising items. Does anyone know if Carbos, Health Wings, et. al. are affected by power items and/or Pokerus?
The question is, how do you get it?

SomeoneIGuess

?Hu Hsilaciryl
You run around, find wild pokemon, fight them, faint them, and run to the pokemon center and talk to nurse joy who will tell you if you have it.

tieegg

Meticulous Breeder
The question is, how do you get it?

You can randomly receive it from battling wild pokemon (i think the pokemon have to make contact, so physical attacks would be better) or from trading with someone awesome, like me.

also, since you seem so interested, the pokerus is no longer contagious as of midnight. The only way to prolong it is to put the contagious pokemon in your box overnight, which will prolong it indefinitely.

Last edited:

lunar22

Da Boss Nigg@
You run around, find wild pokemon, fight them, faint them, and run to the pokemon center and talk to nurse joy who will tell you if you have it.
This or the completely simpler and easier way; have a friend who already has it trade a pokemon with it. This way you can infect your own Pokemon.

raza400

Ev's!

I have fully trained my larvitar so he has 252 attack evs, 252 speed evs and 4 hp evs, can i just level him up with exp share now? will the evs not change?

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Yes. That's right.

Haxorusfan

Dragon Trainer
In black and white were is the guy who tells you about your pokemons IVs. The guy in the battle tower is my friend

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Just in the entrance area of the battle subway, he looks like an ace trainer if I remember correctly.

Just0r

Is it possible to still EV Train a lvl 100 pokemon? I had seen a video of someones lvl 100 pokemon fighting a bunch of patrats and ending up getting an attack EV point after 4 of them. Any truth to that or is that some sort of process you have to go through before hand.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Yes it is possible, check a few pages back on this thread.

K13

OK so I have a level 1 Hydreigon, and I want to get EVs: 4HP|252Spd|252Atk.

I would have to beat 2 Stunfish, 126 Basculin, and 252 Patrat. Right?

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Yup. Or much a much easier way would be, 10 carbos, 10 pritein, 2 stunfisk, 30 lilipups (holding power bracer), 2 lilipups (not holding power bracer), 25 basculins (holding power anklet), 1 basculiin (not holding power anklet). This way is a bit more complicated but much faster!

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
It will work exactly the same only it will be a lot slower to do, if you are unexperienced, however, then what k13 said may seem simpler. Regarding the exp share I have an in depth post on the matter a few pages back on this very thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.