• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Battle by Any Other Name! (829)

zhixun

In the Pokévision episode thread, some people were Ash not participating in making PR videos with the rest of the group. Now people are complaining about Ash "stealing spotlight" from the other cast members?! Wow.

Pretty much this. I agree with everything you said. Ash didn't do all the work, the other cast members helped as well. All of them put equal effort to defeat Team Rocket.

Yeah, teamwork between the main cast members is always cool to see.

Besides if that small fox took down the mecha all be herself, some people would complain about Fennekin being overpowered.

There is no way to suit everybody needs. Different people have different ideas. For me, I personally would like to see all sorts of new characters with very different personality in each saga. That is why I would like Satoshi out of screen after being here for nearly two decade. We need to change this or otherwise the plot will become stale.

The lyrics of a song from Chipmunk describes this very good. "Some people have to learn (Serena). Some people wait their turn (Citron). Some people, but not me I was born a champion (Satoshi)."

Nah, because that episode and this one are both enjoyable in their own special way.

You see that's an opinion I don't agree with lol.

Soniman

Break the Limit
There is no way to suit everybody needs. Different people have different ideas. For me, I personally would like to see all sorts of new characters with very different personality in each saga. That is why I would like Satoshi out of screen after being here for nearly two decade. We need to change this or otherwise the plot will become stale.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow but Ash is still here, he's the main character, he's going to ahve some role to play in an episode that isnt squarely on him, that's how it's always been and that's how it always will be as long as he's around, because unfortunately Ash isnt going to stand in a corner and do/say nothing while the other characters take center stage, no matter how much everyone wants it.

Ideally I want equal focus, because I LIKE when Ash interacts with and bounces off other members of his own group, but that's not on other folks agendas apparently.

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
After all is said and done you can't go pleasin' everyone, so screw it.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
This episode was kind of meh for me. I mean I appreciated Fennekin fighting but other then that, nothing was outright interesting about it.

TR were so unneeded here, the writers themselves didn't even bother to set up TR's improvement and just acted like we were supposed to expect them to be in the competition.

It was nice to see Chespin again though.

Navin

MALDREAD
And IM saying it's overblown because you and others are acting like this is the literal first time Ash does crazy stuff like this. He's ALWAYS been a action first, think later kind of guy, even back in the Original Series when he single handledly tried to hijack a car with Team Rocket in it (who were stealing a Lapras), this is small potatoes compared to that, but this is the XY anime where its decided that him doing anything of note is the equivalent to shoving Serena or any other character to the cold floor and basking in the spotlight himself, this is starting to happen every time a new episode airs and it's getting a bit irritating. There's a distinct diffidence between him being glorified and just being around to help out

Don't Straw Man. I'm not saying this is the first time Ash is going lunatic. I am saying that his role in the mecha destruction overshadows that of the others' because it was depicted as more glamorous with his physical struggle and the others' shouts and impressive because he's the one that physically causes it break its engine. Serena's Fennekin's Flamethrower attack doesn't compare as well, even with the additive of Fennekin's attack alongside Pikachu's and Slurpuff's considering Pikachu could have done it himself alone.

All Ash did was give Serena a chance to free the Pokemon, which she did, which is why im confused as to who Ash is the one stealing her glory. It feels like you're severely understating Serena's contribution and overstating Ash's. Really, you say she should have more focus but when she helps out with taking TR out all together you say that "Milfy and Ash could have handled it", that's rather contradictory.

After Clemont mentions the engine overheated and stuff, Serena's contribution was telling Fennekin to Flamethrower a crippled mecha that was broken-down because Ash physically himself caused it to break. That was possible because of Ash's contribution, which was depicted as the most important, impressive, and glamorous contribution. I'm saying she should have played the overshadowing role in that sequence, and not Ash.

Couldn't Serena have made the plan of attack and not Clemont? Couldn't Serena have found a way to cripple the mecha and not Ash? Couldn't Serena have ordered those Swirlix to string-shot the mecha at the end and not Ash? Couldn't Serena's Fennekin alone have blasted off TR?

I know it was supposed to be a cooperative effort, but in a Serena-centric episode, it would have been nice to see her be more y'know the focus in defeating the antagonists, especially when she needed Satoshi-kun to save her earlier in the episode.

What's wrong with the entire team taking down the TRio together?? I though people WANTED more general camaraderie between the cast members. Does Serena really have to take down TR with just a small fox on her own to prove herself? Whatever, im done arguing about it and I this is just going in circles

I think it's more to the fact that people believe Serena's background presence over that stretch after episode 7 combined with her shallow characteristics (basically she's in this show just for shipping purposes and fanservice) and need for self-reliance make her wanting to be active in stuff like this.

Last edited:

zhixun

Couldn't Serena have made the plan of attack and not Clemont? Couldn't Serena have found a way to cripple the mecha and not Ash? Couldn't Serena have ordered those Swirlix to string-shot the mecha at the end and not Ash? Couldn't Serena's Fennekin alone have blasted off TR?

I know it was supposed to be a cooperative effort, but in a Serena-centric episode, it would have been nice to see her be more y'know the focus in defeating the antagonists, especially when she needed Satoshi-kun to save her earlier in the episode.

Citron is the one who is familiar with the Machine so it does make sense for him to have an idea. That is the only point I disagree with you. All other part that Serena could do by herself.

Obscurites

Is the result of the contest (Toraya siblings won) predictable that much? Do you think why the writers decided not to had Serena nor Millefeui win?

zhixun

Is the result of the contest (Toraya siblings won) predictable that much? Do you think why the writers decided not to had Serena nor Millefeui win?

To cool down the rivalry between Serena and Millefeui? Even Millefeui did say something after the handshake, the rivalry clearly softens compared with what happened earlier. At least they were not very against each other.

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
This episode was awful.

Serena was particularly unlikable, all the rival did was get people to like her food and Serena gets all pissy at her. And they don't really do anything other than glare at each other. Citro (Clemont) couldn't even so much as LOOK at her without her yelling at him! I was rooting for Millefeui the whole time, I liked her and her Sabbaione (Slurpuff).

Heureka (Bonnie) wasn't as bad as usually but not good either.

Ash was a superman AGAIN. One thing that stood out to me was that Pikachu's Thunderbolt didn't scare all the Pokemon away, but Fynx's (Fennekin) Flamethrower did even though it didn't hit them? Also, why couldn't Froxy (Froakie) use its bubbles to block Team Rocket's maching instead of the writers doing something we've seen before?

Team Rocket was shoehorned in again... they need to leave if they're not going to do anything useful.

I give it a 4/10 - Millefeui was entertaining when she wasn't reduced to stare-offs with Serena.

zhixun

This episode was awful.

Serena was particularly unlikable, all the rival did was get people to like her food and Serena gets all pissy at her. And they don't really do anything other than glare at each other. Citro (Clemont) couldn't even so much as LOOK at her without her yelling at him! I was rooting for Millefeui the whole time, I liked her and her Sabbaione (Slurpuff).

Heureka (Bonnie) wasn't as bad as usually but not good either.

Ash was a superman AGAIN. One thing that stood out to me was that Pikachu's Thunderbolt didn't scare all the Pokemon away, but Fynx's (Fennekin) Flamethrower did even though it didn't hit them? Also, why couldn't Froxy (Froakie) use its bubbles to block Team Rocket's maching instead of the writers doing something we've seen before?

Team Rocket was shoehorned in again... they need to leave if they're not going to do anything useful.

I give it a 4/10 - Millefeui was entertaining when she wasn't reduced to stare-offs with Serena.

This is a Serena's episode. If Keromatsu were to save the day, then another group of people start complaining about Satoshi takes away her spotlight.

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
This is a Serena's episode. If Keromatsu were to save the day, then another group of people start complaining about Satoshi takes away her spotlight.

What did Serena actually do, though?

I didn't say Froxy had to save the day, just use its bubbles to block the machine. I would have preferred if Serena+Fynx and Millefeui+Sabbaione have done it on their own, though.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I think it's more to the fact that people believe Serena's background presence over that stretch after episode 7 combined with her shallow characteristics (basically she's in this show just for shipping purposes and fanservice) and need for self-reliance make her wanting to be active in stuff like this.

Pretty much everything you said and I don't anyone would have anything negative to say if it didn't happen so often with Ash regularly having his heroic, glory-hog moments and if the character(Serena) wasn't so starved for focus in the first place.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Pretty much everything you said and I don't anyone would have anything negative to say if it didn't happen so often with Ash regularly having his heroic, glory-hog moments and if the character(Serena) wasn't so starved for focus in the first place.

But thats kinda what happened with Serena's last episode where people got on Ash's case for doing his own thing while Serena did hers even though him being in a reduced role is what people wanted in the first place

k6666

Pikachu Fan

well in serena defense is gonna out of her character since she not really much understand about machine unlike clemont who really understand about machine and he is an inventor

yeah i agree

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I was excited for this episode since I thought it would finally give Serena a chance to shine. Oh, how much of a disappointment it was.

The rivalry wasn't needed, TRio wasn't needed. It all felt like it was shoehorned in to give this episode a plot. Serena is always getting screwed over. I do appreciate Fennekin trying to battle, but just like Serena, it's getting screwed over as well as it STILL hasn't had a proper battle. The bakery thing wasn't interesting either because it was predictable who was going to win.

It's getting harder and harder to support Serena at this point. Which is really sad.

zhixun

I was excited for this episode since I thought it would finally give Serena a chance to shine. Oh, how much of a disappointment it was.

The rivalry wasn't needed, TRio wasn't needed. It all felt like it was shoehorned in to give this episode a plot. Serena is always getting screwed over. I do appreciate Fennekin trying to battle, but just like Serena, it's getting screwed over as well as it STILL hasn't had a proper battle. The bakery thing wasn't interesting either because it was predictable who was going to win.

It's getting harder and harder to support Serena at this point. Which is really sad.

Not really that predictable in my opinion. I thought it was either Millefeui or Serena to win this. But it turns out neither of them.

I guess I'm pretty much alone with my opinion on this episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fennekin was out for the entire episode, the rival- whose name I still can't spell- was enjoyable, and I loved the group of Swirlix. I've enjoyed Serena's episodes, and I'm glad she's becoming more prevalent. PokeVision was a good episode, and so was this one.

Dax

Legend
I'm happy that Serena showed more conviction in being strong and solving her problems independently, but the episode was still a snoozefest. I felt like it lasted 3 hours and it was only 20 minutes.

Squirtle_007

OK, finally watched the sub, I saw first the screenshots, so I was prepared, I'm not dissapointed at all
- Millefui wasn't as half as *****y as Ursula, Burgundy and Georgia were, and still managed to get under Serena's skin, I hope Sassy Serena gets back
- Baron Ash has always the worst luck with spicy-food-that-doesn't-looks-spicy
- Slurpuff!! ... such a shame, another perfect Pokémon for Serena wasted, at this rate, she's gonna end with a crappy random choice like Togepi was for Misty, Croagunk & Happiny for Brock, Stunfisk for Cilan and Mamoswine for that girl ... if Serena gets Spritzee and evolves into Aromatisse, I'll give up with her
- Useless Team Plot Device being useless ... lame
- Baron Ash saving Serena from the evil Swirlix was unneeded, even more when Sassy Serena managed to kick their butts 10 seconds later when Fennekin released herself from the attack
- Serena being unconfortable for feeling sticky ... nice touch XD
- I didn't really got Team Plot Device's plan ... why stealing WILD fruit is a crime?, and why would they want them for? ... classic Jessie (-_-)
- I will actually defend Baron Ash's heroic stupidity here, I can see the team work with Serena being the observer, Clemont being the analytic and the Chosen One being the lab rat, using Froakie's multiuse frubbles would been a better touch
- Female Meowstic is getting more screentime than the male, that will make Olympia's Meowstic less "spectacular"
- The faces of Serena and Millefui when the Makuhita siblings won ... priceless XD
- More Amourshipping crap blah blah blah

It was an OK episode, but I still HATE how much screwed Serena gets in "her" episodes with Baron Ash and Team Plot Device hogging the spotlight when they take backseats in Clemont's episodes, it's not fair

Last edited: