• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Battle by Any Other Name! (829)

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I would have liked to have seen more done with the baking contest (since it felt underdeveloped and I am a fan of classic Iron Chef) but otherwise I thought it was a decent episode.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
This episode sometimes made me feel that rooting for Serena was...wrong. She was acting a little more antagonistic to Miette than I thought she would.

I suppose this is the start for Serena to make her romance with Ash more obvious. Too bad we know how this will end...

Also, I didn't know Swirlix could fly.

Last edited:

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Good to know that Serena likes Ash more than a friend. Now if only they can expand on that.... If only The Pokemon anime could be more like MLP FIM...

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I honestly have no idea what to think of this episode. I loved the fact that Serena got a little more screen time for once, but even then Ash had to do something in it. At least Fennekin did something and scared off the group of Swirlix with an attack. Jessie also irritated me to no end in this, she was acting too selfish imho. The plot with Team Rocket also took way too long as I would have wanted the cooking contest to be focused on more. At least Serena showed some personality and Miette was slightly interesting. I rate this episode 7/10, it wasn't as bad as my review sounds, I'm just being more vocal about the episodes flaws.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
If Miette was the Harley/Ursula of Xy I don't know if she was moody enough or really moody at all. If anyone was moody it was Serena. I love Serena and I defend her but today she was just really moody towards that girl who was not even all that stuck up like past stuck up rivals.

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was decent. Nothing worth mentioning besides the fact that I'm glad the episode didn't make things totally predictable by having Serena or Niette win.

Vipsoccermaster

A fine episode, but it was a bit annoying that Serena was acting a little over the top towards Miette. I still like her and Fennekin, but she just needs to chill a bit. The episode should have had more time on cooking, not with Team Rocket stealing the show, but you know how they are.

Lady Umbreon

In Serena's defense, Miette started it. Her Slurpuff stole food from a complete stranger. Instead of apologizing Miette gives said stranger a backhanded compliment. Did no one teach this girl manners?

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
This episode sometimes made me feel that rooting for Serena was...wrong. She was acting a little more antagonistic to Miette than I thought she would.

I suppose this is the start for Serena to make her romance with Ash more obvious. Too bad we know how this will end...

I agree, Serena was being more butt hurting to Miette than Mietta was to Serena. I judged how the two of them had a rivarly going in the screen shots, but Miette wasn't all that bad. Serena is just too defensive, and she's gotta learn to not let things get to her.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I agree, Serena was being more butt hurting to Miette than Mietta was to Serena. I judged how the two of them had a rivarly going in the screen shots, but Miette wasn't all that bad. Serena is just too defensive, and she's gotta learn to not let things get to her.

She seems to be getting moody in the new eps even with Ash.

edgehead011

the ending of the episode in the dub tho, i fell out of my chair when miette told serena do it or hes mine which basically confirmed her feelings towards ash to the older audience

Canada

Banned
This was a lame episode imo. Serena was acting so petty so I didn't care who won the bake off or whatever (in fact I forgot the bake off was even happening when the plot changed to Team Rocket's usual interference) therefore I didn't mind when both Serena and Miette lost. Jessie was completely unlikable. Team Rocket weren't even a decent threat because Ash beat them due to their machine burning out. Couldn't it have been something else? The issue being resolved by the mech breaking down on it's own was lame. Also Slurpuff just creeps me out lol.

I suppose Miette messing with Serena was amusing but she's still not a character I'd want to see again.

chalkus

Miette was a breath of fresh air in this episode. She actually made Serena do something.

She owned Serena at the end with the ultimatum. Though I will say that it would make no sense for Miette to like Ash when she barely spoke to him. I suspect she was just baiting Serena.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Miette was a breath of fresh air in this episode. She actually made Serena do something.

She owned Serena at the end with the ultimatum. Though I will say that it would make no sense for Miette to like Ash when she barely spoke to him. I suspect she was just baiting Serena.

That's what I thought too. But I don't think the writers should keep provoking these new girls to keep going for Ash when they care nothing for him just for Serena to make a move. If anything, they can just use the pokepuffs and that's it.

But I don't see why people are complaining. This is what people wanted Serena to act like from the start. So there ya go.

chalkus

Serena should have done like Dawn did in the same situation and just shrug it off instead of letting herself get owned. She came off bitter and petty. Miette was a victim of her childishness.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I loved the shipping hint in it. I hope we see Miette again

I thought either one of these two things were going to happen:

1.) Sarena and (I actually have no idea how to spell this COTDs name) were, somehow, going to team up and work together to win
2.) The other team was going to win this I actually thought of just before the winner was announced.

Turned out I was right with the latter

Pikachu52

Serena and Miette have the lamest rivalry ever. They were antagonising each other over Poképuffs. Really. And Serena started it all because Miette's Poképuffs were better than hers. Miette is probably the most uninteresting character that's ever been introduced into the anime in my opinion.

And then they fight over Ash...Really!!!

Yes Miette Ash does have someone to take care of him. It's Pikachu. Ash hasn't shown any interest in Serena and even less in Miette. Telling him "How they feel" isn't going to get either girl anything other than heartache. And why exactly does Miette have feelings for Ash she only just met him. Desperation much.

This episode was fanservice. 1/10

Last edited:

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
As a longtime fan of the Pokemon series--albeit one who hasn't particularly kept up with or enjoyed in since the second half of the 2000s--A Battle by Any Other Name! is an extremely frustrating episode. Why? Well, because it could've been done so much better. After the first dozen or so episodes of the XY saga, the episodes have really dipped in quality with few exceptions. A Battle by Any Other Name! isn't exactly terrible--it's plot has sustenance--but the animation quality, dialogue quality, and character interactions are just all wrong. And these definitely aren't just dub-exclusive faults. Giving Serena a snooty but still somewhat likable rival to contest her in her "ambitions" (whatever they may be at this point: baking, popularity, love?) is a great idea; Serena's character really needed a driving force, and Miette seems like just the girl to kick her into gear. But even though I enjoy Miette in this episode, her character--like the rest of the episode--is sloppy. She is initially portrayed as a confident, slightly snooty girl that knows just how to get under someone's skin--just like a lot of tween/teen girls! But then we get all of these shots of her and Serena staring each other down, angry sparks bursting betwixt their glares. It makes Miette seem like she is frustrated with Serena, just like Serena is frustrated at her, but this shouldn't at all be the case because Miette has no reason to have animosity towards Serena. Miette is supposed to be an prideful person who enjoys ticking people off--she shouldn't be getting ticked off herself. Then again, maybe she is actually jealous of Serena because she is so close to Ash, thus causing her to have envious animosity towards Serena. I know I just totally undermined my own point there, so I guess we'll have to see what happens in later episodes.

Regardless of Miette's character, the rest of the episode is definitely a mess. The animation is awfully choppy and unappealing, the dialogue (both the script and the actual voices) is abysmal, the character interactions are off-key (why is Ash taking Serena's and Miette's PokePuffs without permission, let alone offering them to others as if they were his own? That's definitely not a post-Kanto Ash thing to do), and Team Rocket is just as much of a nuisance to the characters as they are to the audience. This episode had potential in proposing a baking contest (okay, kinda boring) between two people who hate each other right off the bat, but the episode decided to focus more on a berry shortage caused by a bumbling bunch of idiots that none of us viewers even pretend to care about anymore. I feel like this type of episode could have been excellent if handled by the writers who crafted the Kanto episodes into funny, entertaining half-hour installments. I don't know exactly how much the Pokemon writing team has changed over the years, but the show is undoubtedly being carried out in an extremely different direction. That's not to say the Kanto episodes were flawless--they weren't. They overall saga lacked solid structure, and the battling was comparably awful by today's standards, but every individual episode was handled with care with its script and characters. This ongoing string of subpar XY episodes have largely failed to entertain because they attempt to succeed solely on plot alone. Characters and dialogue are thrown out the window as each episode just tries to tell a story, but any type of storytelling medium--television, cinema, art, theatre, etc.--will always fail if the audience doesn't care about the characters. Sloppy scripting/dialogue is also a great way to diminish immersion and lose an audience's interest.

Pokemon is a children's television show, so I am probably asking too much of it. However, I believe that I am justifiably frustrated because I know that this show has the potential to be successful, both entertainment-wise and artistically. Just look at Giving Chase at the Rhyhorn Race! and Clemont's Got a Secret!--both great episodes in terms of plot, character, dialogue, and voice-acting. The XY saga has potential, and to see it stumble so hard after looking so promising from out of the gate is disappointing to say the least.

Nonetheless, I liked the idea behind this episode, and I like Miette and am looking forward to her future usage as a foil to Serena.

Grade: C

Side Note: I've given a review of most of the XY saga's episodes up until this point, but I'm begin to grow weary of the show. It feels like a waste of time just watching it, and I actually enjoy whipping up reviews because it gives me some good writing practice and helps me to better understand and appreciate the art of television. After a very disappointing string of episodes after XY's hot start, however, I don't think I'm going to pursue watching any further. Maybe I'll just check out the more popular and/or eventful episodes. I dunno. I know I'm like 80 episodes behind (lol) so if someone can please inform me as to whether or not the series gets any better/worse from hear, I would greatly appreciate your input. A PM would be great! :)

Last edited: