• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Battle Festival Exploding With Life! VS Mega Lucario!! (1114)

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/b8154f221e218495db7021094b15d2b8.mp4

This was the best cut of the entire series thus far.

Sadly, the animation after and before was mediocre. Good cut for sure though
I'd say the latter half of the lugia scene from ep 2 rivals it, as does Ohashi's cut from episode 9 (which was partly reused this episode during Pikachu vs Clawitzer). I really want to say something from Iwane rivals this, but aside from episode 18 his episodes have felt relatively conservative, especially compared to his episodes in sm and xy. I wonder if the production has been tight for this series, even without covid-19

diakyu

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
It isn't right to hatefully bash a composers work.
Unless that composer's name isn't Shinji Miyazaki, in which case it's completely okay to have at them. At least, that's what JP music purists believe. Obviously they're wrong, but everyone knows that.

You joined today, but you mentioned being on bulbagarden, and all 3 of your posts are direct attacks on Ryu's opinions, so the most likely explanation is you followed him from there to continue attacking him because his opinions weren't the same as yours and he was being obnoxious about it.
That's how Miyazaki's stans roll. They want everyone to like his music unconditionally and no one else's. They're psychotic.

-------

Now for the rest of the episode that isn't the biggest mistake JP Journeys ever made:

The battle was nice, but there was nothing else going for it, not even any buildup to the battle itself.
Also, that "exploding with life" catchphrase that has at least three adaptations among English Pokemon localizations (the show, the XY games, and Masters) isn't bad; it's just a bit...Corni.

dman_dustin

What? How is it irrelevant? Mega Evolution gives a substantial boost to the Pokémon in question in the anime. How is it only relevant to the game? Lucario being able to mega evolve is a factor in its strength...
Perhaps an analogy will work here, not relating to Pokemon but hopefully it makes sense as it relates the 2nd part of my argument (keep in mind the concept of baselines).

There is an item in a video game called "Permanent Apple" it boosts all of your character's stats in the game.

The anime adaptation the main character usually fights with normal strength, he's strong but not the best, but then he goes up against what was a boss in the video game. However the main protagonist doesn't battle the boss immediately there's no way to compare the main character and the "boss" character. The main protagonist eats the "Permanent Apple" gets slightly stronger permanently. After a tough battle the protagonist still loses to the boss character.

My argument in context of mega evolution, is that the Permanent Apple's effect of making the protagonist stronger is irrelevant in the context of the anime, and the only way we know that the protagonist is stronger is because of the game (primarily)

Your argument in this context is that because the protagonist merely ate the "Permanent Apple" and gaining a stat boost as stated in the anime, the protagonist should have won PURELY because it's a permanent apple boost. However we don't know how the protagonist would've handled the boss character in his non permanent apple state, and so that information is thus unknown (the context of the anime portion I said was irrelevant).

I'm ultimately arguing and I'm sorry for not expressing my point more clearly because I spaced out and not properly expressing this (I apologize), but the only reason to believe in context with the Pokemon anime a Mega Lucario can beat Dragonite is PURELY because it has a base stat total 625 whereas Dragonite is weaker at BST 600.

That is the game mechanic not an anime mechanic. Thus my argument.

As the anime boost is unknown to us because we don't have the variables as it was not provided to us in the form of baseline default Lucario battling Dragonite, the boost of mega evolution in the context of the anime is irrelevant and thus the default position in this argument can only be to fall onto the games in which Mega Lucario by BST alone is stronger than Dragonite. The only reason to assume Mega Lucario should've won, despite the fact, mathematically BST doesn't necessarily equate to strength is because it has more stat points in the game.

Being a Mega here because we don't have a comparison is irrelevant to why Lucario should've beaten Dragonite was my ultimate point which I will further explain in just a moment.

I’m confused because this argument is difficult to parse.

That doesn't really help but if I had to guess you don't understand the concept of baselines. I'm not sure how to explain this other than using mathematical or technical concepts like with the game. This is all hypothetical by the way.

Normal Lucario
Power Up Punch- 75 damage
Aura Sphere- 95 damage

Mega Lucario
Power Up Punch- 120 damage
Aura Sphere- 140 damage

Dragonite- 130 HP

If we go by this model, normal Lucario should've been enough to defeat Dragonite but somehow it wasn't able to, that's fine, so we get the mega evolution and we can say for certain that absolutely Dragonite should have lost, right?

That's because the normal Lucario should've been enough, that the Mega Lucario for example would've been MORE than enough. Correct?

HOWEVER we didn't get Normal Lucario vs Dragonite we got Mega Lucario from the start instead. So ultimately we got this:

Mega Lucario
Power Up Punch- 50 damage
Aura Sphere- 70 damage

Dragonite- 170 HP

As a result of this new model, as we can see its normal form is irrelevant, we didn't see it, so this supposed mega evolution boost that you think should've been the deciding factor, just wasn't it. Because unlike the previous model we didn't get a baseline to justify the stat boost of mega evolution being more than enough to handle Dragonite because we didn't SEE it. Remember, when Lucario was sent out against Dragonite it then mega evolved. Normal Lucario never fought Dragonite.

Instead in the fight against Dragonite, Mega Lucario was its baseline power fighting Dragonite, and as I've already said, because this is its baseline strength, it's power from mega evolving is ultimately irrelevant from the context of the anime, and to bring it back, the only reason to believe the boost should've been more than enough to beat Dragonite is because of the games saying "Mega Lucario " has a stronger BST (base stat total) than Dragonite.

A power up is only relevant if its a factor in the battle, which it technically wasn't a factor, because we never had the concept of "power down" as it were. Thus the only relevancy that the "power up" would be ONLY because of the games as the anime made the "power up" irrelevant as an argument for why Lucario should've won.

WHICH is WHY I SAID: If normal Lucario was holding its own against Dragonite then mega evolution would be a reason for why Lucario should have won, or even if Lucario was kicking Dragonite's butt, but Dragonite still came out on top somehow and then Mega Evolution kicked in then Lucario again should have won.

There was no baseline to derive the concept of "power up" due to mega evolution because the "power up" was the baseline in the fight therefore it wasn't a "power up" in the justification for why Lucario should've won.

In other anime examples, let's use Goku from Dragonball Z and you kind of don't need to know it to get my point. Goku has a power up that makes him 1,000,000 times (hypothetically) stronger than his base form (very inaccurate I'm sure but stay with me here), this form will be called Super Sayian for argument sakes, right? Let's say he fights an opponent we'll call Cell. Normally Super Sayian would be a power up for Goku, it's been said it makes him a million times stronger. So he goes up against Cell and uses this "power up" from the start, he didn't fight Cell when he was a million times weaker and ultimately he gets his butt kicked. Thus Goku didn't benefit from this power up. He didn't benefit by getting a million times stronger, because he never fought Cell in his normal form, and perform admirably in that form to justify being a million times stronger means he should've beaten Cell. His million times boost power up, was his default baseline of power in that fight.

Or in the most simplest of terms: Cell was just that strong.

Or here in the Pokemon: Dragonite was just that strong.

Saying that "mega" should be enough for a victory implies a baseline that powered up to be stronger than a threat, that was JUST not possible here. You say Mega Lucario was twice as strong a Lucario, that means nothing when Lucario never battled Dragonite to begin with it was Mega Lucario that did.

Not sure if that helps or not.

In the context of the episode discussion, it is awful. It doesn't add anything to the discussion and it should be redirected elsewhere. You can have a negative opinion of an episode, but his views are a pattern. His negativity stems from Miyazaki's work and any further or past episode featuring his scores will amount to similar comments. It isn't right to hatefully bash a composers work.

Now more relevantly, I do hope to hear Miyazaki's pieces more often because I think it has been surely missed in the anime.

If I may add my take on this. I ultimately will never understand people's obsession/passion over music, it's mostly the most irrelevant thing to me in the anime. I don't focus on it as much as other things.

But that doesn't mean people can't express their opinions. It's the art of "ignoring" the irrelevant parts. It's why most people ignore my posts, LOL, it just doesn't interest them, not their cut, not their jibe as it were.

Shuriken Throw

Korrina’s episode was totally great. That battle between Dragonite and Mega Lucario was so good. I didn’t know who would win. That has been the best battle in the Pokemon Journeys series so far, in my opinion.

Korrina and Mega Lucario definitely had a great episode.

It might be good animation but it is a little nonsensical. I know Anime=/=Games but some sort of ground rules have to be in place. It was not as bad as their last battle where Lucario used Bone Rush on Hawlucha but Dragonite getting hurt that badly with Fighting type moves?

The plot armor was strong with this battle and I am completely ignoring the Gengar part here. Overall a good battle but I think they should follow rules in official battles. It is fine if Dawn's Ambipom can hit a ghost type with Double Hit during a montage shot but official battles need to maintain standards.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
This battle actually had me at the edge of my seat! Had no idea who would win, but I'm happy Dragonite came in clutch and basically won the battle on its own. Amazing way to showcase its monstrous strength!

Sucks for Gengar though, kinda wish they made someone else the fall guy.

As an aside, I'd already seen that Korrina had a new team member this ep and I was kinda worried Ash would give her Riolu or smth. Really glad to see that my worries were completely unfounded. Can't wait to see the blue Aura Puppy's growth from here!

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'm pretty sure they were addressing the criticisms that didn't have to do with the battle (namely the idea that there was a lack of continuity), since nothing they said later about the battle had to do with subtitles.

Exactly. @dman_dustin Idk what you're on about but it was clear my argument was that subs make the continuity more apparent throughout the episode, subs had nothing to do with the battle where the hell did you get that from? Obviously if u watch the episode first time when you can actually understand the dialogue it would be better. I mean sheesh, it's not like I said the episode had no flaws. Not every mon needs to do something every battle. Gengar was defeated in a perfectly logical way and it was Dragonite time to shine.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic

Probably the best animated part of the battle. The finisher was so lackluster that almost invalidates that, though (it was somewhat worse than the latest time Ash fought Korrina, years ago, because I still don't get that cut between aura sphere x electro ball colision until now).

I know that's a reasonable explanation game wise, but, visually? Disappointing battle. Ash and Korrina meeting each other again is probably the only good side. After that, I hope other characters like Kiawe reappear as competitors.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Or here in the Pokemon: Dragonite was just that strong.
If I may add my take on this. I ultimately will never understand people's obsession/passion over music, it's mostly the most irrelevant thing to me in the anime. I don't focus on it as much as other things.

But that doesn't mean people can't express their opinions. It's the art of "ignoring" the irrelevant parts. It's why most people ignore my posts, LOL, it just doesn't interest them, not their cut, not their jibe as it were.
Tbh, that's the issue, Dragonite being that strong right off the bat feels somewhat undeserved and like it undermines Korrina. I say kinda because at least we saw Ash train it in its debut episode, plus Ash himself being a good trainer, but still, it feels like we should've seen a few more battles from Dragonite before this.

As for music, while not the most important thing in the anime, but it does in a way dictate the tone or sometimes even the meaning of a scene (which is why I don't like the way the dub finished Ash vs Guzma, as the music made the theme go from "this is the new beginning for Guzma's life" to "go Ash, beat up this guy", though that's not to say changing the music is bad all the time, the final SM dub episode did something very interesting in the scene where Ash is in the shore, as the jp version had no music, making the scene feel more like a melancholic "I'm ready to go on a new journey, but I'll have to say goodbye to everyone", while the dub had more cheery music playing, making the scene feel more like a more decided "I'll have to say goodbye to everyone, but I'm ready to go on a new journey", both being equally powerful interpretations IMO).
Probably the best animated part of the battle. The finisher was so lackluster that almost invalidates that, though (it was somewhat worse than the latest time Ash fought Korrina, years ago, because I still don't get that cut between aura sphere x electro ball colision until now).

I know that's a reasonable explanation game wise, but, visually? Disappointing battle. Ash and Korrina meeting each other again is probably the only good side. After that, I hope other characters like Kiawe reappear as competitors.
On a first watching I didn't like the final blow, but on closer inspection I could see the background moving, and I liked how the split screen was twisting. The final blow in the gym match was easily its weakest part (it felt really awkward, as if the EB/AS clash had been done entirely separate from the rest of the battle), which is why I prefer this final blow.

CupidKirby

The writing and battle choreography weren't as good as the Pisces episode, sadly enough. Gengar not being able to use psychic on Electrode because it was moving too fast and broke free of its control is way more believable than it choosing to use psychic on a rock instead of Mienshao because "reasons." Plus that whole thing with Dragonite only hitting Lucario one time and getting hit over five times yet somehow still winning was weird. I guess double dragon dance boosted dragon claw one-shot it.

The animation was not that great for the most part then got a lot better for Dragonite vs Mega Lucario. That first thunder bolt Pikachu did was animated way too well considering the context. I did enjoy the soundtrack. Also, I appreciate how Ash isn't being dumb anymore with his team choices. Old Ash definitely would've let Riolu fight Lucario just because he wanted to. Old Ash also would've definitely let Pikachu waste endurance against Raichu just to prove a point even though it wasn't the ideal match-up. Now this Ash recognizes that he can't afford to waste time like that.

Overall this episode was all right. It definitely could've been better though. I was really looking forward to the battle but the actual thing wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I think seeing moments like Korrina and Ash reuniting and Korrina encouraging Riolu were more enjoyable for me.

Im not saying wanting better animation is wrong (I personally liked it) but ash not getting a keystone or greninja not appearing isn't a *flaw* of the episode. Im not saying don't criticise the episode, just atleast criticise it for the right reasons, which you did.

I'm with you on this one. It's one of the reasons why I've come to hate reading the episode threads for this series because I know half the comments would just be people complaining about it not including things that it has no business including.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The writing and battle choreography weren't as good as the Pisces episode, sadly enough. Gengar not being able to use psychic on Electrode because it was moving too fast and broke free of its control is way more believable than it choosing to use psychic on a rock instead of Mienshao because "reasons." Plus that whole thing with Dragonite only hitting Lucario one time and getting hit over five times yet somehow still winning was weird. I guess double dragon dance boosted dragon claw one-shot it.

The animation was not that great for the most part then got a lot better for Dragonite vs Mega Lucario. That first thunder bolt Pikachu did was animated way too well considering the context. I did enjoy the soundtrack. Also, I appreciate how Ash isn't being dumb anymore with his team choices. Old Ash definitely would've let Riolu fight Lucario just because he wanted to. Old Ash also would've definitely let Pikachu waste endurance against Raichu just to prove a point even though it wasn't the ideal match-up. Now this Ash recognizes that he can't afford to waste time like that.

Overall this episode was all right. It definitely could've been better though. I was really looking forward to the battle but the actual thing wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I think seeing moments like Korrina and Ash reuniting and Korrina encouraging Riolu were more enjoyable for me.

I'm with you on this one. It's one of the reasons why I've come to hate reading the episode threads for this series because I know half the comments would just be people complaining about it not including things that it has no business including.
One thing I noticed on a rewatch was that Lucario already had some scratch marks before the final collision (presumably due to hurricane), though if tbh they should've made hurricane look more powerful, like in episode 14). About Pikachu's thunderbolt, that's reused animation from episode 9.

STICKTOPIA

I couldn’t wait for dragonite to get it’s turn and win some battles but the way they treated gengar was a disgrace. They really did him dirty. Lucario barely got any hits and was taken out in the end. Dragonite is really strong!

LucasMV

One thing I noticed on a rewatch was that Lucario already had some scratch marks before the final collision (presumably due to hurricane), though if tbh they should've made hurricane look more powerful, like in episode 14). About Pikachu's thunderbolt, that's reused animation from episode 9.

I think Hurricane looked different from episode 14 because it was used in a different way. Ash kinda wanted Dragonite to make a big Hurricane not just aimed at Lucario but at the whole field, so the rocks would also start "attacking" Lucario and he couldn't move or attack.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
...If I recall, Ash never really had a serious battle against Kiawe but after the storm passed. And boy was it disappointing.

If there battle in the penultimate SM episode is anything to go, Ash wouldn't have much trouble with Kiawe even he was really serious about it. Back then Ash was dealing with internal struggle of what to do next and yet he's managed to beat Kiawe with not much trouble at all.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Seeing Ash struggle with Clawitzer reminded me of his fight against Shota's in the Kalos league, though I'd say Shota's was tougher.
Though I will say, I do like that we finally saw a White petal Flabebe in this episode, reflecting how hard it is to find in XY, in addition to the fact that it showed up at the very end of the episode.

On the fight itself, it was nice to see Pikachu benched as he did beat Mega Lucario before, thus have nothing to prove fighting it again, and seeing Korrina with a Mienshao shows she got tougher since XY. Having said that, the writers certainly left some ambiguity as to whether it evolved from the Mienfoo she had in XY or if it's seperate. In can be assumed it's the former, but I'm going with the latter. (Korrina's pages on Bulbapedia and Serebii are split on this)

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Something I didn't catch on was that Dragonite's "counter shield" could also be a reference to episode 12, where Lance had his Gyarados take a flamethrower from Leon's Charizard to use Dragon Dance