• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Battle Festival Exploding With Life! VS Mega Lucario!! (1114)

Ultra Beast Lover

Counter shield came back? That's great! That was my favorite strategy and I wish we could use it in the games as another form of protect that hurts the attacker if it's a physical attack. I also wish Ash would use it more. And, I'm just happy Korrina was remembered at all.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m sure a lot of people are going to hate this episode since three things didn’t happen
  • Ash didn’t get a keystone & Lucarionite
  • No reference to Serena, Clement, & Bonnie
  • Greninja didn’t show up
However, I ABSOLUTELY ******* LOVED THIS!! I was on the edge of my seat during Ash’s battle since it showed him & Korrina as way stronger trainers since the last time they fought & it felt like the match could’ve gone either way (I was surprised to see Korrina’s Mienfoo evolved & used competitive strategies like U-Turn).

While seeing Riolu geeking out over Lucario was inevitable, I loved how we FINALLY got to see all of Ash’s pokémon together since that hasn’t happened in the series yet! Go was great in this episode since I was surprised at how many pokémon he caught & he actually learned a little bit about Ash’s past journey in Kalos from Gurkin, which is what I wanted to happen at the Vermilion gym

All & all, this was worth the wait! 12/10!!

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Battle was... okay, I guess. Though we once again see the entirely accidental effects of the hiatus here, as, waiting for nearly three months for this, obviously we would have wanted a lot more than we got.
Also while no reference was made to the other Kalos Gym Leaders, the episode does at least acknowledge that Satoshi and Corni know each other, and the fact that they battled before is brought up. (Satoshi brags that he totally won the last match, to which Corni is like "Was that really necessary to bring up?")

Honestly the most interesting thing for me was the Miyazaki track. After 24 episodes straight of not a single piece of his making an appearance I just assumed his soundtrack would never be used again. Now that they have shown that they can still use his music though, I hope this isn't the only instance of it. If nothing else then for the fact that Hayashi's score has, what, two battle tracks? I mean Sun & Moon certainly was guilty of overusing the same battle tracks as well, but at least there it wasn't literally just "Galar Wild Pokémon Battle" and "Galar Trainer Battle" in every fight. (Though the overuse of A Heated Fire Showdown in the Alola League came close.) How's aboot using the Galar battle themes in Galar and maybe throwing in some of the relevant game remixes for whatever older regions they visit every now and then?

dman_dustin

I’m sure a lot of people are going to hate it since three things didn’t happen

Nope, the episode was TOO episodic, and thus the battle structure and the flow of battle suffered heavily because of it. As well as the unnecessary Go focus (which could've been fine if this had been a two parter)

I couldn't care less about those three things, I'm more upset that the flow of battle sucked so badly because of how rushed it was. Especially Gengar which didn't do jack squat, in contrast to how it was used against Visquez.

Episode 18 was better because it was structured much better than this episode which was just trying to cram everything together without care of how to put the pieces together.

I don't blame Tomioka, I blame executive meddling for this.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Due to a certain incredibly foolish music decision, the Ryu Taylor who stopped hating the JP version stands a chance of being no more.

YelST

Mitsuha Yamano Fan Account
Considering how much Ash struggled against a trainer like Korrina, I think he's going to struggle in the Super Rank. Gengar performed badly yes, but Ash needs another upgrade, and I feel that could be the return of Z-Moves. We now know that Dragonite can use Breakneck Blitz if needed, so hopefully this presents itself as an option going forward.

Disappointing lack of continuity yes but it was a nice surprise to see Gurkinn return as well as foreshadowing an upcoming arc. Maybe Ash will have to battle Korrina again in the future which is where he'll get Mega Evolution - I can't see his eventual Lucario not getting it, and given the strength of opposition he'll be facing soon, he'll need it.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention - Dragonite is looking like a serious powerhouse, but it's too early to make any definitive claims

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Well I guess we know who the next Torterra/Noivern possibly is

one battle isn't enough to pass judgement, and Torterra was on the decline before it even became one, it's evolution into Grotle started it's downfall, Torterra finished it.

Also, this was Dragonite's first on-screen trainer battle so i'm personally willing to overlook Gengar losing to make Dragonite look better, besides Lucario won using Bone Rush which does work on Gengar (especially since they swapped out Levitate for cursed body) so it's fine by me, and shows that Korrina has ways of dealing with ghost types which would be a huge bane to her fighting pokemon on a normal basis. I kind of like seeing Gym Leaders having ways of covering their type weaknesses, especially when it comes to types they can't normally hurt at all.

the only thing that disappoints me is discovering that Dragonite's hidden 4th move was in fact Hyper Beam...while it does make me wonder if it was the one who blasted TR off in it's capture episode now, I feel like they could've given a better choice.

Still it's performance and endurance in this episode rocked.

Not perfect, but better than other episodes, 7-8/10 from me.

Last edited:

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
"Counterattack!" from the Volcanion movie played over Lucario's Mega Evolution.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure that was the only Miyazaki track they used during this episode (maybe one other one at the beginning of Dragonite’s fight with Mega Lucario), & it’s not that big of a deal since it was one of his original tracks that went with the scene (I was surprised to see that people actually hated how Miyazaki used random game music for certain battles, but I guess that makes sense).

I personally like all the composers for the anime (I hated Goldfarb when he first started, but to me his work got better ever since Sun & Moon). I’m sure they’ll mostly stick to Hayashi’s compositions for the rest of the series, but a few original Miyazaki scores sprinkled here & there isn’t really that bad. Besides, if anyone has a problem with it, Goldfarb will most likely put his own score for the dub that will be equally as fitting

Last edited:

diakyu

Good lord Gengar got owned. I definitely think the mega ring complaints are invalid when it really did feel like they were setting up for Korrina to come back when Riolu has evolved.

Otherwise, I thought the fight was good, not as good as Visquez but I still enjoyed it. Dragonite didn't job so I got all I wanted. Hopefully the next big WT fight is with Riolu and Gengar with Gengar taking center stage.

Sword master zacian

I’m sure a lot of people are going to hate this episode since three things didn’t happen
However, I ABSOLUTELY ******* LOVED THIS!! I was on the edge of my seat during Ash’s battle since it showed him & Korrina as way stronger trainers since the last time they fought & it felt like the match could’ve gone either way (I was surprised to see Korrina’s Mienfoo evolved & used competitive strategies like U-Turn).

While seeing Riolu geeking out over Lucario was inevitable, I loved how we FINALLY got to see all of Ash’s pokémon together since that hasn’t happened in the series yet! Go was great in this episode since I was surprised at how many pokémon he caught & he actually learned a little bit about Ash’s past journey in Kalos from Gurkin, which is what I wanted to happen at the Vermilion gym

All & all, this was worth the wait! 12/10!!
Nah that wasn't my disappointments from this epiapde i wasn't even sure these would happen
My disappointment was mainly was the battle of ash and korrina and goh hogging time like goh is getting his own focus episodes like ep 23,26 and then maybe ep half of ep 27 (farfetch'd parr)as well so what was need of goh focus in this episode unless he was participating
Second: gengar sucked. Gengar is a ghost type with even having a psychic move it huge advantage over korrina's pokemon but was defeated by lucario's bone rush even when gengar is levitating all time
Okay dragonite vs lucario was good ash setted up 2 dragon dances so it had attack and spees boosted so it was evitable he would have won
For my ranting it would be 8/10

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
A so anticipated episode. What a snooze fest. I waited more for an episode with an old character returning.

The best sequences were about dragonite taking a beat. Yeah, understood, dragon dance to ups the power, m-lucario no sells hurricane and hyper beam, cross counter, but dragonite basically wins with its first and only direct hit.

As good as it was see Korrina again, this episode didn't live to the hype.

BabaVanga

It was a really good episode. I would say great but Gengar went down too easily and the battle wasn't as good as Ash vs. Visquez, but everything else was fantastic.
Korrina was my favourite character in the Kalos saga, I love her Lucario (please writers give Ash's future Lucario Bone Rush, it looks so good) so opportunity to see her back made me very happy. The best thing about her comeback though was that her Mienfoo evolved, that makes me hopeful other returning characters could bring evolved Pokémon aswell. If we add to that CounterShield glorious comeback, this episode easily becomes one of the best Journeys episodes so far. 9.5/10

Remix2

Ya this should definitely been a two parters or at least if it going to be one then cut all the goh stuff and focus on ash and Korrina since no one care about what goh does.

Also to say that the animation for the battle is no where near the god tier animation of there gym battle in xy will be a massive understatement(which is not surprising given this series doesn’t have the talent/budget to pull of xy animation even on it bad day).

Last edited: