• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Battle Festival Exploding With Life! VS Mega Lucario!! (1114)

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
Yikes. Seeing a lot of contrasting points of view here.

I thought the episode was okay. Great for continuity, save for no mention of our XY group or a certain Pokémon that I was hoping to see...

Gengar jobbing here did suck, I won't lie. Hopefully, he gets his chance to shine in another episode where he gives Ash a win to increase his rank. Speaking of which, congrats to Ash! He now has four Pokémon capable of battling Mega Evolutions.

And seeing Dragonite in an official battle for the first time was awesome. Great to see that she's fierce on the battlefield, but is still a softy at heart afterwards.

Didn't really care for Goh here. Cool that he got some more Pokémon, but not really much to say about his goal in the episode.

I have to agree with @dman_dustin about the series feeling too episodic. It just feels like it'll be paint by numbers in terms of what happens: Ash gets into a battle and Goh catches new Pokémon that we'll never get to see again.

Oh well. Next week looks... interesting? Um... I might just skip next week...

Poliwrathed

You know, as much as I don’t like Ryu Taylor, you do know that it’s guys like you that made him the hateful jerk he is today, right? You’re part of the problem.

No, to stop hate you call out hate. He went through the same thing on bulbagarden and he obviously needs to learn again. Just because you don't like someone's work it doesn't mean you should trollishly lump his work as trash. That is simple, and if he doesn't want to get called out on it then he shouldn't make those comments in the first place. It doesn't add to the discussion nor is it constructive or even relevant.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
No, to stop hate you call out hate. He went through the same thing on bulbagarden and he obviously needs to learn again. Just because you don't like someone's work it doesn't mean you should trollishly lump his work as trash. That is simple, and if he doesn't want to get called out on it then he shouldn't make those comments in the first place. It doesn't add to the discussion nor is it constructive or even relevant.

I never said he expresses his opinions in the right way, nor did I claim that he adds anything constructive to the discussion, but that doesn’t give you the right to call said opinions “awful.”

Poliwrathed

I never said he expresses his opinions in the right way, but that doesn’t give you the right to call said opinions “awful.”

In the context of the episode discussion, it is awful. It doesn't add anything to the discussion and it should be redirected elsewhere. You can have a negative opinion of an episode, but his views are a pattern. His negativity stems from Miyazaki's work and any further or past episode featuring his scores will amount to similar comments. It isn't right to hatefully bash a composers work.

Now more relevantly, I do hope to hear Miyazaki's pieces more often because I think it has been surely missed in the anime.

Ultra Beast Lover

I wish the series could have more continuity like this. Also, did Ash never mention his previous journeys to Go? This suggests one of a few things:

1. Ash doesn't want to tell Go anything about his journeys.

2. Ash wants to start off so fresh that he doesn't talk about his old adventures until relevant.

3. Ash just hasn't gotten to that portion of the story yet.

4. Ash does mention his old adventures but Go doesn't listen.

Hey, if they can explain the deal with Dragonite's evolution they can at least hint at the reason for Ash's memory issues.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I wish the series could have more continuity like this. Also, did Ash never mention his previous journeys to Go? This suggests one of a few things:

1. Ash doesn't want to tell Go anything about his journeys.

2. Ash wants to start off so fresh that he doesn't talk about his old adventures until relevant.

3. Ash just hasn't gotten to that portion of the story yet.

4. Ash does mention his old adventures but Go doesn't listen.

Hey, if they can explain the deal with Dragonite's evolution they can at least hint at the reason for Ash's memory issues.
Or 5. Ash is more of a humble guy and feels that talking about his past adventures are like bragging unless it’s for a good reason. He mentioned how he saw Ho-Oh after Chad’s grandpa said it didn’t exist, & he mentioned how he beat the Vermilion gym when Go asked if he challenged it before. Plus, in this episode he mentioned how he beat Korrina after she talked about their history together (and he only bragged a little bit to tease her).

In the context of the episode discussion, it is awful. It doesn't add anything to the discussion and it should be redirected elsewhere. You can have a negative opinion of an episode, but his views are a pattern. His negativity stems from Miyazaki's work and any further or past episode featuring his scores will amount to similar comments. It isn't right to hatefully bash a composers work.

Now more relevantly, I do hope to hear Miyazaki's pieces more often because I think it has been surely missed in the anime.
If you’ve read some of his other posts, it seems like his negative opinions also come from interacting with extremist Miyazaki fans/dub haters on forums & Twitter

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

Or 5. Ash is more of a humble guy and feels that talking about his past adventures are like bragging unless it’s for a good reason. He mentioned how he saw Ho-Oh after Chad’s grandpa said it didn’t exist, & he mentioned how he beat the Vermilion gym when Go asked if he battled there before
Now that would be terrific character development.

FrozTKnight

Will ORA ORA ORA you
Why did everyone expect Greninja to appear or Ash to get a mega stone?

If Greninja appears they would mean he is free to join Ash's team and Ash would now have an OP Pokemon to plow through the rest of the battles unless they decide to make Ash-Greninja to not work anymore (which would piss of some fans).

And why would they give Ash a mega stone when this generation is focusing on Dynamxing? Giving Ash a mega stone is gonna over shadow the mechanic they want to promote this season.

nickdt

Yikes. Seeing a lot of contrasting points of view here.

I thought the episode was okay. Great for continuity, save for no mention of our XY group or a certain Pokémon that I was hoping to see...

Gengar jobbing here did suck, I won't lie. Hopefully, he gets his chance to shine in another episode where he gives Ash a win to increase his rank. Speaking of which, congrats to Ash! He now has four Pokémon capable of battling Mega Evolutions.

And seeing Dragonite in an official battle for the first time was awesome. Great to see that she's fierce on the battlefield, but is still a softy at heart afterwards.

Didn't really care for Goh here. Cool that he got some more Pokémon, but not really much to say about his goal in the episode.

I have to agree with @dman_dustin about the series feeling too episodic. It just feels like it'll be paint by numbers in terms of what happens: Ash gets into a battle and Goh catches new Pokémon that we'll never get to see again.

Oh well. Next week looks... interesting? Um... I might just skip next week...

He has six Pokemon capable of battling Mega Evolutions
Pikachu, Dragonite, Gengar, Greninja, Talonflame (Brought a hit in against Mega Lucario while only being a Fletchinder, which shows its offensive prowess) and Hawlucha.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

You joined today, but you mentioned being on bulbagarden, and all 3 of your posts are direct attacks on Ryu's opinions, so the most likely explanation is you followed him from there to continue attacking him because his opinions weren't the same as yours and he was being obnoxious about it.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Welp, that kid flying off stage lol
Pallbearers-II.jpg

And why would they give Ash a mega stone when this generation is focusing on Dynamxing? Giving Ash a mega stone is gonna over shadow the mechanic they want to promote this season.

No?

You can't Dynamax outside of Galar.

And the only mega they'd give any focus on would be Lucario.

Rohanator

Gengar jobbing here doesn't mean anything lol, Hawlucha's very FIRST trainer battle was a loss and he ended up getting a ton of screentime and wins later. If anything Gengar might be a sort of go to battler and get a lot of screentime (super easy to draw and popular so why not), some of which will inevitably be jobs. To me that makes a team member feel more organic, than if they only appear when it's time for them to shine.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Gengar's quite loss is likely due to a small number of drawings available for the episode. Sometimes you have to cannibalize one part of an episode for the main part of the episode.

Interesting to see Miyazaki Shinji return. I much prefer his music to Hayashi Yuuki's music and wish he had been retained. Naruto Shippuuden (normally composed by Takanashi Yasuharu) would do this for certain episodes, where tracks by Naruto (2002) composer Masuda Toshio would be used in flashback episodes (#1, #257-260 , #307, #309-310, #313-315).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Really fun battle (and I loved the animation during the powerup punch sequence), but it should've been longer. I alos liked the use of the battlefield, I've missed that since we haven't gotten much of that kind of stuff since what? Ash vs Hapu? And that battle had its own issues

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Miyazaki returning was very interesting. Love his movie tracks, I hope this means Legends vs Legends and other amazing work play again in this series at least once

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was a little disappointed that Gangar lost to Corni's Kojondo, although I was at least satisfied that we saw one again even if I'd rather have seen Corni use Luchabull like in the X/Y games. Kairyu impressed me by defeating Mega Lucario, and I thought that Gou's capture spree of Kalos Pokemon was one of the more boring parts of the episode, but at least he interacted with Concombre.