• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Battle Festival Exploding With Life! VS Mega Lucario!! (1114)

RafaSceptile

I had high expectations and I wasn't dissapointed. The episode was mostly as how I imaginated: Ash being the greatest of all trainers (by other people) as in XY in a battle oriented episode.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I had high expectations and I wasn't dissapointed. The episode was mostly as how I imaginated: Ash being the greatest of all trainers (by other people) as in XY in a battle oriented episode.
I just wished the end of the battle wasn't so rushed, the rest was great but the ending felt abrupt. Really wish they spent less time in the first half with the unecessary dialogue of gurkinn and Goh
But considering korrina seems to be coming back anyway I don't mind that much

RafaSceptile

I just wished the end of the battle wasn't so rushed, the rest was great but the ending felt abrupt. Really wish they spent less time in the first half with the unecessary dialogue of gurkinn and Goh
But considering korrina seems to be coming back anyway I don't mind that much
That is the problem when you dedicate just a single episode to a region and then you are back to Kanto.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Kind of disappointing. Go is just such a boring non-character that even the animators don't bother showing his captures anymore, they know we won't see 90% of them ever again anyway so it's pointless. At least they remembered the Kalos tradition of putting most of Ash's battles in big tournaments off-screen. We could have of course had some stuff with Riolu battling or Gengar doing some good stuff instead of just losing to Korrina, but I guess they really needed to shove Korrina's granddad in the episode, despite him adding nothing to the plot, not even a gag. I don't mind character interactions, if they're actually funny, interesting, or add something to the plot or characters. But Korrina's granddad added nothing.

Then they establish Korrina also wanting to increase her ranking and battle Leon, and here I am thinking after 23 seasons they finally introduced a female rival for Ash, and then they have her lose already in their first battle of this series, which isn't exactly a great omen for a future rivalry. Usually at least Ash starts on the backfoot and at a disadvantage, like how he was totally overpowered by Gladion when he was introduced. Granted, it was a close battle, but still. I don't think either Go nor Ash gets enough conflict in this series, Ash hasn't lost anything since Leon and has already reached super rank, while Go gets tons of pokémon with no fanfare and 9 out of 10 times he doesn't even have to weaken them first. It just gets repetitive. At least Ash has the advantage that some of the battles they actually bother to show on-screen still look good, none of Go's captures since Golurk have been interesting in any way and the Golurk capture was kind of a cheat as Ash weakened it beforehand.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Kind of disappointing. Go is just such a boring non-character that even the animators don't bother showing his captures anymore, they know we won't see 90% of them ever again anyway so it's pointless. At least they remembered the Kalos tradition of putting most of Ash's battles in big tournaments off-screen. We could have of course had some stuff with Riolu battling or Gengar doing some good stuff instead of just losing to Korrina, but I guess they really needed to shove Korrina's granddad in the episode, despite him adding nothing to the plot, not even a gag. I don't mind character interactions, if they're actually funny, interesting, or add something to the plot or characters. But Korrina's granddad added nothing.

Then they establish Korrina also wanting to increase her ranking and battle Leon, and here I am thinking after 23 seasons they finally introduced a female rival for Ash, and then they have her lose already in their first battle of this series, which isn't exactly a great omen for a future rivalry. Usually at least Ash starts on the backfoot and at a disadvantage, like how he was totally overpowered by Gladion when he was introduced. Granted, it was a close battle, but still. I don't think either Go nor Ash gets enough conflict in this series, Ash hasn't lost anything since Leon and has already reached super rank, while Go gets tons of pokémon with no fanfare and 9 out of 10 times he doesn't even have to weaken them first. It just gets repetitive. At least Ash has the advantage that some of the battles they actually bother to show on-screen still look good, none of Go's captures since Golurk have been interesting in any way and the Golurk capture was kind of a cheat as Ash weakened it beforehand.
All ill say is that your wish for a female rival may or may not get fulfilled :p

nuzamaki90

Rewatching this episode with hindsight, it was pretty good setup for what’s to come. I feel like we were all being a bit too impatient when hoping for a Mega Ring to be given to Ash in this episode while Riolu was still relatively inexperienced. And of course the battle was great and the animation was off the charts for no reason.

I’m glad out of all the characters, the writers decided to bring best girl back <3

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
You know rewatching this episode REALLY makes you appreciate its animation quality. Took it for granted back then but man it is SO SMOOTH and impactful and so pleasing to watch, top tier battle and sad to see during the climax, the battle animation quality isnt upto the mark