• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Battle of Aerial Mobility! (806)

I also don't have a problem with rest of the English cast either and I do think they fit the characters rather well. But that's just me.

You're not the only one who holds that view. I like the English cast as well, and I feel that Haven Paschall especially fits Serena with her voice. :)

NPT

Just a member
Serena seemed to be in a hurry to start her journey after seeing Ash on news in the last episode. I guess he is the reason why she is starting a journey in the first place.

The Kalos Nurse Joy's design is nice, but dang... her Wigglytuff is huge! I wonder if the Wigglytuff knows Overgrow lol. It was good to see Prof. Oak and Rotom again. I was expecting Prof. Oak to be surprised after seeing Froakie, but somehow he already knew about it. Oh well, I guess Alexa told him about the Kalos starters in "The Dream Continues". It was nice to see Clemont and Bonnie wanting to travel with Ash on his Kalos journey. Ash had some good chemistry with Bonnie and Clemont in such a short time, so I'm sure traveling together will make the group better. Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Pikachu putting their hands together was a nice moment as well.

Nice to see Bonnie wanting her brother to catch Dedenne so she could take care of the Pokémon. And it was pretty cute when Bonnie gave Froakie a nice hug and rubbed its cheeck with hers, causing it to blush.

It's funny Clemont tryied to attract bird Pokémon using his new invention, only for it to attract a bunch of BEEDRILL! Ash and the others getting chased by Beedrill was funny, but it was funnier when Clemont tried to increase the sound, making the situation even worse. And then the epic invention explosion happend!! LOL, Ash, Clemont and Bonnie looked funny with curly hair.

I particularly enjoyed the second battle between Froakie and Fletchling. It's cool to see Ash taking advantage of the mountain area for Froakie to jump around. That way Flentching's flying wouldn't be a disadvantage to Froakie anymore. Also, Froakie's clever use of frubbles was great, especially the frubble decoy. It's awesome when Ash turned his hat before throwing another Pokéball at Fletchling, it's been so long since he last did that the last time. James catching Inkay was surprising, I didn't think that he would catch it THAT easily. Oh well, I think Inkay is good addition to James' team, it fits him.

Overall, it was a great episode. Ash's interactions with Clemont and Bonnie was nice, in fact, they feel more like a family to me. Also, it was cool to see Ash using actual battle tactics. I really missed the strategic side of Ash in BW, so it was great to see him using battle tactics again.

As for the dub, the voice acting was great! Clemont and Bonnie's voices were good .... but Serena's voice surprised me. Her voice in this episode sounds so much better than how it sounded in the the pre-preview premier. Also, the Pokédex's dub voice was better than the original(which is rare 'cause usually the japanese voices tends to be better than dub). The other characters sounded good as well. They also did a fine job with the script, I like how the dialouges are close to the original.

TPCI did a good job with voice acting and scripting, however, same can't be said for the BGM. Well, I admit that TPCI's XY dub music improved a lot from BW's lame dub music and I actually liked some of the dub music they played in this episode .... but did they really need to replace ALL(except the title screen music) of the japanese music?! That's just stupid, they should've at least kept the game music. Also, the BGM is low in dub, so it's hard to hear them. TPCI really needs to raise the volume of the BGM.

Can we go one english episode without talking about how inferior they are now to 4kids? It's been 3 series' so far. If you don't like the dub then stop watching it.

I second this!

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Also, I don't know why, but this episode was a lot better to me dubbed overall. I wasn't nearly as bored by it as I was by it in the original.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I'm so glad the wait is finally over. That opening is just plain nostalgic and beautiful. Good way to start the new series.

Dedenne is so cute. Way too cute.

Ash and Froakie are meant for eachother! New friend: Fletchling!

New TR Pokemon: Inkay! Trouble ahead

And now Serena is going to choose her Pokemon... what will it be!! The suspense is killing me.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
About the voices, I feel that they are a bit weaker than the raw counterpart in general. I think that Team Rocket feels better in the raw for some reason. And I think Serena voice is average for my taste.

The biggest improvement is the Pokedex voice; which is clearly better in the Engliush version (it's the only voices I dislike from tha Japanese version).

The biggest dissapointment is the music replacing, specially when game tracks are replaced. I don't think dub music are as bad for transition scenes, but in key scenes, usually Japanese tracks are superior. In specially notable in the battle scenes, the proffessor Oak scene, and at least one of the Serena scene music are very notable.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
About the voices, I feel that they are a bit weaker than the raw counterpart in general. I think that Team Rocket feels better in the raw for some reason. And I think Serena voice is average for my taste.

The biggest improvement is the Pokedex voice; which is clearly better in the Engliush version (it's the only voices I dislike from tha Japanese version).

The biggest dissapointment is the music replacing, specially when game tracks are replaced. I don't think dub music are as bad for transition scenes, but in key scenes, usually Japanese tracks are superior. In specially notable in the battle scenes, the proffessor Oak scene, and at least one of the Serena scene music are very notable.

About the edits, it's not as accurate as you may think, there are small details here and here, but there aren't big changes in dialogue.

Renafan

This was a Pokemon episode on par with the originals in my mind. I feel like it's a continuation from Johto and the other gens were simply side trips in comparison. The theme song is one that (ie isn't original) does reinvigorate the senses. Going back to the original like "Power Rangers" did but better in my opinion. It's on the same quality scale as the Johto theme in terms of repeated listens though I think Pokemon World is still the best.^_^ I'm liking "The Great Clement!" (I find it funny that I watch a guy on youtube called the Great Clement...and he even did a X and Y review though his primary focus is Sonic and Mega Man games)...Bonnie is like tolerable, and I love Serena. I want some Fennekin love. :) C'mon Serena...you know which one is the best!

halloweenghost

great episode. Love all the new animation. I hope it last.. seems like in the past, when a new gen starts,.. the animation is awesome.. then it begins to slack down the road... hope it stays nice and fresh for XY.

I always pictured inkay's voice being really high.. it';s real low in this lol

and James actually Caught Inkay! Usually he befriends his pokemon and they go with him lol thats deffinatly different.

oh yeah and the to be continued is still missing... I don't like that...

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I watched this episode because I wanted to hear Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena's voices in a different episode to get a real feel for them. Before I mention them, let me just say that I was disappointed they changed the background music. Especially when Dedenne meets the group and they play the Pokemon Village music. That was perfect for the situation. But anyway, Clemont's voice I admit, I was not feeling it. It can get better with time. But for now Clemont sounds better in the Japanese version. Bonnie sounds fine. No complaints. Serena to me, easily sounds the best of the group. It's rare for me to actually like a dub voice, but Serena's was darn good in this episode. Episode was the same to me as it was in the original. CN really doesn't want you to watch Pokemon. They never advertise this new Kalos/gen 6 region. Maybe they should move to the Vortex XD

kosthedin

CN really doesn't want you to watch Pokemon. They never advertise this new Kalos/gen 6 region. Maybe they should move to the Vortex XD
First of all, while their advertisements aren't abundant, they do air a promo for "Pokémon the Series: XY" before it airs and several times during the day:
[video=youtube;SZ7Y8Yh2Tgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7Y8Yh2Tgc[/video]

Second, you have to remember that Pokémon is an acquired show on Cartoon Network, so they're much better off promoting their original shows than others.

You probably suggested Vortexx since they used to make individual promos for Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal (Though recently, they're been replaying the same promo). This was an unique exception since 4Kids, who handled Toonzai and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal at the time, probably had Saban, the current handler of Vortexx and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal (Broadcast wise), agree to making these individual promos when giving them the block.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
This was a Pokemon episode on par with the originals in my mind. I feel like it's a continuation from Johto and the other gens were simply side trips in comparison. The theme song is one that (ie isn't original) does reinvigorate the senses. Going back to the original like "Power Rangers" did but better in my opinion. It's on the same quality scale as the Johto theme in terms of repeated listens though I think Pokemon World is still the best.^_^ I'm liking "The Great Clement!" (I find it funny that I watch a guy on youtube called the Great Clement...and he even did a X and Y review though his primary focus is Sonic and Mega Man games)...Bonnie is like tolerable, and I love Serena. I want some Fennekin love. :) C'mon Serena...you know which one is the best!

It seems more like a continuation from Sinnoh. Considering Wobbufet's back and Ash doesn't even act like it was ever gone. Plus he gets his skills from DP back. Oh anf it's far better than the orginals. As long as Ash keeps winnig his badges all of the series are better than the orginal.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
It seems more like a continuation from Sinnoh. Considering Wobbufet's back and Ash doesn't even act like it was ever gone. Plus he gets his skills from DP back. Oh anf it's far better than the orginals. As long as Ash keeps winnig his badges all of the series are better than the orginal.

I agree somewhat. However, I just want some development in most of his future episodes. I liked this episode for what it's worth.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
What Dwail8023 is saying that just because TPCi sticks to direct translations doesn't make the show itself better. The translations are better, but it doesn't make the show automatically better. With taking directly from the original Japanese, sometimes the lines feel a bit stale, robotic, or just like an obviously "duh" statement.

4Kids didn't completely butcher anything major, but they would tweak things to suit the audience and culture.

That's what Dwail is saying, that 4Kids felt more natural and the characterizations felt more like an actual person. Like imagine if we never had a Joey Wheeler and only had a Katsuya Jonouchi, doesn't it give a different feel? And IMO the Shadow Realm makes more sense than everyone apparently dying for good all the time, only to get brought back. That's the kind of good stuff we're talking about that adds to the show.

Although I agree some changes from 4Kids don't make sense, they still did more good than bad.

That's what I like about 4Kids; the theme may not copy the exact reflection of the original series in Japan. However, 4Kids makes the show more suited for a western audience, and it's pretty enjoyable for me. Obviously, since I am an American. :p I feel the same way about the other shows that 4Kids has dubbed in the past. There's one show 4Kids dubbed that's now dubbed by Nickelodeon (Winx Club), who instead follow the exact translation from the original series (held in Italy). Same situation with CN/TCPi.

I wouldn't know the reasons why companies would do this, but it is based off an internationally aired show. So they can't make huge changes? I dunno. But I get the same feeling from other networks that copy the exact script and plot from their fellow company partners.

NPT

Just a member
This 4kids/TPCI argument is getting old.

What Dwail8023 is saying that just because TPCi sticks to direct translations doesn't make the show itself better. The translations are better, but it doesn't make the show automatically better.

But it does make the dubbing better, a dub that sticks to the original IS better than a dub that is far from the original script in my opinion.

With taking directly from the original Japanese, sometimes the lines feel a bit stale, robotic, or just like an obviously "duh" statement.

I don't think so. The dubbing is fine, I would rather have a close traslation than a traslation that's far from the japanese version. Also, they didn't sound robotic to me in this episode.

4Kids didn't completely butcher anything major, but they would tweak things to suit the audience and culture.

The Chornicles three-parter episode "Legened of Thunder" has some major butchering by the 4kids dub.

Yeah, the XY series does feel like a continuation of DP. Seeing Ash's battling skills in XY, BW seems like just a fluke to me.

Last edited:

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
This 4kids/TPCI argument is getting old.

But it does make the dubbing better, a dub that sticks to the original IS better than a dub that is far from the original script in my opinion.

I don't think so. The dubbing is fine, I would rather have a close traslation than a traslation that's far from the japanese version. Also, they didn't sound robotic to me in this episode.

The Chornicles three-parter episode "Legened of Thunder" has some major butchering by the 4kids dub.

Yeah, the XY series does feel like a continuation of DP. Seeing Ash's battling skills in XY, BW seems like just a fluke to me.

I didn't say it made the dubbing better, I said that a dead accurate dub doesn't make the SHOW better. Meaning the enjoyment of the episode.

There, an opinion like mine. I'm not making something sound absolute. I'm saying it depends on the script and voice acting because it can really affect how a character is portrayed. If the script is bad and the acting is bad, then how can it absolutely always be a good dub JUST because it has a dead accurate translation? There's more to it than that, anyone can translate something with enough knowledge.

Fair enough that there were some stupid edits, but it's not something important to the story. But I agree that sometimes there were questionable edits, even for its time.

That being said I like the XY dub so far and it has improved vastly compared to what Dwail and I were talking about. I find the cast to fit very well, although I always pronounce Clemont wrong apparently haha. Looking forward to a great series with an improved dub

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Personally I would prefer a dub that sticks to the script as much as possible.

Any huge deviations would alienate the entire episode.

It isn't the dub's job to completely change the meaning of the episode, it's supposed to translate one language from another.

Maybe if the dub writers did a STIFF translation, maybe I can see why it might make the show look worse/boring, but if they take too many creative liberties, it's the equivalent of a parody fan dub.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
If a dub puts in new stuff that doesn't affect the actual plot it's fine by me like the famous Not till the fish jumps line in DBZ Android 13