• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Birdacious Battle! Brave Bird VS Sky Attack!! (1076)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Realizing this might be Rowlet’s last battle, that was a really disappointing way to end his run. Hopefully the (semi)finals are more than these lackluster 1v1s so it can have more screentime before it leaves the cast

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
On the other hand, Hau losing thanks his wonderful grandpa is stuff for some great, but not so great (and with that I mean terrible) Naruto style memes ala "you let my dream of becoming the champion die!", following by killing all the referees and abusing Guzma to destroy the Alola league for his sense of "justice".

Sounds fun right? Better than the whole Alola league for sure.

This league has been utterly pathetic, SM's been utterly pathetic, and I hope Galar bleaches everything that came out of this ass crack of a region. Nothing of worth came out of SM. If a " character-driven show " ends up with lazy storytelling methods, like this, I'll take my generic formulaic Pokemon narrative any day of the week

What a joke lmao. This league is already a pile of horse radish that Ash is going to underservedly win, at least make the battles good and take the dang thing seriously

What a farce

Xuxuba

The animation was kind of bad in this episode. Some characters seemed quite disproportionate.

Also, poor Hau, the writers really don't like him... He barely appeared in the series and the episodes he appeared weren't that great.

Sometimes i think that it might have been better if Ash fought Kiawe instead. I like Hau, but if they were going to treat him this way, they could've focused on Ash's rivalry with Kiawe aswell, which at least had more build up.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

People are just upset because of the shock factor, but Mukuroh sleeping has been a gag that goes directly to his species (owls being nocturnal) and RotomDex mentions that the species stores up energy during day while being active at night. It’s more so Kuchinasu’s fault (lazy Island King, ssshh) for not checking and giving Hau false hope but then again you can’t say that doesn’t suit Kuchinasu’s characterization.

No, I’m upset mainly because Hau was robbed lol. Look, I like Ash, and I’ll be supportive of him always, but he was nowhere near the better trainer in this battle. He literally won due to constant bending of the rules. First off, Rowlet only survived the Z-Move because it was wearing the costume which shouldn’t even have been allowed. It wasn’t even intentional, it looked just as surprised as everyone else. Then Nanu didn’t check to see if the other Pokémon was actually KO’d like literally every other ref and which they did during the entire Battle Royal.

And finally, Ash and the birds taught Rowlet a new move mid battle which was the deciding factor that led to Hau’s defeat. If that isn’t a case of DEM I don’t know what is, and I usually never complain about DEM in this show.

Plus Ash just goes “lol sorry” when the match resumes, and doesn’t even talk to Hau after they leave the stadium. Like I’ve been saying, the interactions are so bare which makes a tournament with all these characters so uninteresting. Hau SHOULD have won the battle and rightfully deserved it, but he was up against the biggest wall of Plot Armor I haven’t seen in 3 years.

Aleh

«Last Hope»
I can't believe people are complaining. Actually no, I can. People here are NEVER happy.
This episode was fun, unpredictable, packed with action and funny moments, interesting character dynamics such as Hala doing the right thing even if it meant making his grandson sad, new move learned...
I swear all this forum wants in terms of battles is the most boring 1:1 representation of game battles with no humor or space for unusual match ups in terms of type or Pokémon species fighting.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
No, I’m upset mainly because Hau was robbed lol. Look, I like Ash, and I’ll be supportive of him always, but he was nowhere near the better trainer in this battle. He literally won due to constant bending of the rules. First off, Rowlet only survived the Z-Move because it was wearing the costume which shouldn’t even have been allowed. It wasn’t even intentional, it looked just as surprised as everyone else. Then Nanu didn’t check to see if the other Pokémon was actually KO’d like literally every other ref and which they did during the entire Battle Royal.
I disagree, Mukuroh and Satoshi worked for this battle and were both determined to take on Hau and even reached out to the birds to prepare. As for the costume, Pokemon always wear clothes in battle. This is no different from what we’ve seen in series before with Luchabull wearing that cape at the Kalos League or Mimirol battling in her vest at times during DP it just so happen to turn out that way. He didn’t break a rule by wearing a piece of clothing in a battle.

And finally, Ash and the birds taught Rowlet a new move mid battle which was the deciding factor that led to Hau’s defeat. If that isn’t a case of DEM I don’t know what is, and I usually never complain about DEM in this show.
I don’t think that word means what you think it means. Literally saying the birds taught Mukuroh Feather Dance in the sentence before and episode before completely robs your next sentence of what you’re trying to say. “Deus Ex Machina” would be if Mukuroh was entirely helpless and getting pummeled to death then suddenly evolved and OHKO Junaiper with one move, Mukuroh already had everything he needed to succeed today and it was foreshadowed and intentional and he worked for it so the battle can’t be ruled as a “Deus Ex Machina.”

Plus Ash just goes “lol sorry” when the match resumes, and doesn’t even talk to Hau after they leave the stadium. Like I’ve been saying, the interactions are so bare which makes a tournament with all these characters so uninteresting. Hau SHOULD have won the battle and rightfully deserved it, but he was up against the biggest wall of Plot Armor I haven’t seen in 3 years.
Kuchinasu (lazy character) mistakes Mukuroh sleeping for being unable to battle.

Hala corrects him and restarts the battle. That was literally it.

This episode was perfectly fine.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I can't believe people are complaining. Actually no, I can. People here are NEVER happy.
This episode was fun, unpredictable, packed with action and funny moments, interesting character dynamics such as Hala doing the right thing even if it meant making his grandson sad, new move learned...
I swear all this forum wants in terms of battles is the most boring 1:1 representation of game battles with no humor or space for unusual match ups in terms of type or Pokémon species fighting.
Or people are just not satisfied with what was shown? If they were never satisfied, I’m sure they would have left the site awhile ago. People don’t want “boring 1:1 representation of game battles” if we’re going by the fact that most popular battles tend to have a new twist that’s not possible in the games.

Warfad

It didn't seem bad to me...

Nanu misjudged the situation, yes, we know he's lazy and doesn't take his job seriously so it's not that big of an issue.
Hala, being the wise one, knew what was going on (after all, Hala has seen how Rowlet just falls asleep all of sudden in the past, during Ash's grand trial)

Rowlet's new move (wonder if it's his own version of feather dance or a completely different move like substitute?) was cool. It wouldn't be the first time he trains to learn a move and ends up learning a different move (seed bomb)

Xuxuba

What are you talking about? Most people in this forum commonly praise the comical moments involving Mokuroh. That doesn't mean we can't dislike the way a rival was treated or that some of the jokes came at the expense of said character.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Hau wasn't robbed. He didn't defeat his opponent, and so didn't win. After the match resumed, he was outplayed and lost.

Hau had scouted Rowlet's moves and had a plan to counter everything in his arsenal. Ash's plan was for Rowlet to learn a new move, which would have thwarted Hau's plan and neutered Decidueye's all-physical moveset if executed properly. Feather Dance was ordered twice, both times when Decidueye was approaching, so it wasn't going to miss.

I can't really say who was better here, because both trainers had plans and used tactics in the battle itself. But if they're equal, Ash isn't "nowhere near" the better trainer. None of Ash's decisions were so bad he deserved a bad outcome.

The cardinal sin was tricking Hau into prematurely celebrating his win, then taking it away from him. Both Ash and Hau were hurt by how the events unfolded. Neither trainer deserved to have their hopes dashed like that.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
It didn't seem bad to me...

Nanu misjudged the situation, yes, we know he's lazy and doesn't take his job seriously so it's not that big of an issue.
Hala, being the wise one, knew what was going on (after all, Hala has seen how Rowlet just falls asleep all of sudden in the past, during Ash's grand trial)
Bolded for the truth +1

I’m not trying to sound like I’m invalidating people’s opinions or anything, I just don’t see any objective reason to dislike this episode aside from people feeling bad for a woobie character like Hau. You trash his character a lot in the games and in USUM he becomes the champ and you take that away from him. If this stunt was pulled against a “jerk” like Gladion I doubt anyone would care. The writers were just playing on that savagery and they used the right characters for this sort of thing, Hala being honest and doing his job right and Kuchinasu being his lazy self and making a miscall. I could understand if it was an old soul like Hapu but Kuchinasu pulling something like that in games, manga and anime is in character.

Calling this the “WORST EPISODE EVER!!!!1111” is just being extra imo.

nuzamaki90

I disagree, Mukuroh and Satoshi worked for this battle and were both determined to take on Hau and even reached out to the birds to prepare.

Yea they were determined but that doesn’t mean they deserved to win. Hau was the better trainer in this match. He made use of everything Decidueye had and just lost to constant mishaps in Ash’s favor.

As for the costume, Pokemon always wear clothes in battle. This is no different from what we’ve seen in series before with Luchabull wearing that cape at the Kalos League or Mimirol battling in her vest at times during DP it just so happen to turn out that way. He didn’t break a rule by wearing a piece of clothing in a battle.

Crazy how you bring up Hawlucha who took off his costume right before the battle began fighting. Buneary and Piplup battled in their costumes in CONTESTS where that is encourage and it never intruded on what was going on. And whenever a clothing malfunction did happen, it was played as a negative. Serena is the biggest example of this.

birds taught Mukuroh Feather Dance in the sentence before and episode before completely robs your next sentence of what you’re trying to say.
Rowlet didn’t learn Feather Dance in the prior episode, and there was no sign that it would. In fact, when we saw it trying to use it, it failed and got beat down by Toucannon. Learning a move that quickly doesn’t even make sense either compared to all the other times Rowlet trained to learn a new move.

Kuchinasu (lazy character) mistakes Mukuroh sleeping for being unable to battle.

Then get better refs who are going to be professional and do their duties right. It just makes things worse when you point out this battle was judged by someone who wasn’t even really paying attention. This episode was not okay, like at all. This is the Pokémon League, where serious Pokémon battles meant to decide the Champion are meant to be held. Gags and laziness have no place and that’s where the outrage stems from.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Ash vs Hau. ...*Ahem!* ...I liked it.

I know, I know, a controversial opinion. Totally unexpected of me.

Rowlet did good. It won for its Trainer, its family, and its little nut bro. He fell asleep? So what? That's just how he is, how he's always been, and how he'll always be. I'd be more miffed if him falling asleep actually made him lose.

Rowlet's Feather Dance was different from what I expected. The theory that it was going to learn Substitute didn't come true, but it basically acts in the same way, minus the health loss (so technically it's better?). With Rowlet's pseudo-Substitute and Decidueye's Spirit Shackle, this was basically a battle of ninja birds. Also, they remembered Sky Attack is a charging move for once!

Meltan's calling its friends? So soon? I was expecting this to happen in the Mohn arc. But hey, Melmetal soon. But...where's it gonna be used? If the next two rounds are 1 v 1 as well, then Pikachu or Lycanroc's gonna sit out the League (though Pikachu already got its time in the sun during the Battle Royal).

Sophocles vs Kiawe looks pretty cool from the brief battle we got, but my final thoughts will be saved for when that episode airs.

Also look, everyone. Serena got that cameo you've been asking for.

EBIXHV4XsAE5Vr-.png

Looks like she dyed her hair at some point, though.

Xuxuba

Robbed or not, i still think the animation and the battle were rather underwhelming for a League episode and that what happened was cheap shock value, the kind we commonly see in reality shows.