• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Birdacious Battle! Brave Bird VS Sky Attack!! (1076)

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Hala did nothing wrong and Hau wasn't cheated out of anything. He lost, fair and square.

As a grandfather, Hala should want his grandson to succeed, and letting him win a battle that he clearly saw wasn't finished does nothing of the sort. (Honestly, doing something like that feels like real cheating.)
Exactly.

I’m still trying to figure out what Satoshi and Mukuroh did wrong?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Hala did nothing wrong and Hau wasn't cheated out of anything. He lost, fair and square.

As a grandfather, Hala should want his grandson to succeed, and letting him win a battle that he clearly saw wasn't finished does nothing of the sort. (Honestly, doing something like that feels like real cheating.)
Yeah, hala was right, but the existance of the scene just felt downight malicious against Hau

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
Exactly.

I’m still trying to figure out what Satoshi and Mukuroh did wrong?

Well Ash/Rowlett did slightly cheat during the battle (I'll get to the details below). One could argue that they made several mistakes prior to and leading up to the battle:
  1. Not training the spontaneous sleeping out of Rowlett was bad. It's a horrible trait for a pokemon to randomly fall asleep during a serious league battle in the first place and typically something exclusive to disobedient pokemon in the games if you don't have enough badges. This could have easily cost Ash the league legitimately if Decidueye had taken the opportunity to land a free hit (more on this below).
  2. Actually selecting Rowlett despite being both Decidueye's first form, the pokemon Hau specifically trained to beat and with the random sleep thing going. Ash shouldn't have used Rowlett at all, but especially in a 1v1 format where you only get one shot or you're out...
But other than the lack of training and bad type choice on Ash's part, the battle itself was for the most part legal. Falling asleep, although ill-advised is perfectly legal in pokemon battles and shouldn't get anyone disqualified. Hala's decision was correct.

That said, Ash did kind of cheat unwittingly through the revised decision. If everyone was initially aware that Rowlett was asleep then Decidueye could have taken advantage of that and landed a free hit on Rowlett. Clearly, Ash was standing too far from Rowlett and even though he was shouting at it to stand up Rowlett didn't hear him. It was only after Ash went over to check on Rowlett, flipped it over and yelled at it to wake up that he actually got through. So technically, going over to your pokemon, physically interacting with it during battle and helping it out of a status condition is cheating. Obviously it wasn't intentional but Ash should have returned back to his position without waking Rowlett up and they should have resumed the battle with it still asleep. That would have been the honorable thing to do. However, strictly speaking, the battle was interrupted at the point when Ash woke Rowlett up so it's debatable whether that was an actual rule violation.

BreederLuke

Beginning Breeder
Man I haven't been on here since 2011 but I logged back in here just to talk about this episode. I LOVED it. I always hated Hau, what a pointless "rival" in the games all he ever did was smile and say "MaSaLaDa" then they put him up against Ash using Decidueye vs Merch? I knew it was his loss but man oh man did they give it to him lol his own grandfather made the call that lost him the match lol

OniCornwalis

Everything before Rowlet falling asleep was pretty good, and if you look at Hau crying after his loss without looking at what led to that loss, that was also really good. HOWEVER, everything that occurred between Rowlet falling asleep and Hau crying could’ve been done 10 times better. Rowlet should’ve shown that he was fine before Nanu called the match off, whether that’s due to him getting back up from the ground extremely determined, revealing that he had used Substitute as a fake out, or some other way. It would’ve shown that Rowlet had grown and matured, but instead it showed that hadn’t learned anything, and arguably regressed.

Listen; I like this series a lot, I honestly believe it’s better than XY, and I think that it has had very good animation and writing most of the time, with very little truly terrible episodes. However, what happened in this episode showcases all the worst qualities of the Sun and Moon series, and people are going to look back on this moment and think the entire series is as bad as this, which is a damn shame.

Edit: Something I forgot to mention is that Ash has actually been pretty competent this series as a trainer, with the only low points before this match being his battle vs Nanu and his first fight against Hau. That’s another reason why this episode was so bad, as Ash regressed in competence from the DP/XY levels he had been hovering around during the majority of this season to BW/Kanto levels of incompetence. I was perfectly fine with him winning this league before this battle. As of right now though, Ash needs to have some really strong battles against Guzma and Gladion, where he demonstrates the level of skill and knowledge that he’s had for the majority of this series in order for me to be satisfied if he does win. And unlike a lot of other people right now, I DO have faith in the writers to make up for this episode, as they’ve made lots of good episodes before. Hopefully that trust doesn’t get misplaced.

Last edited:

patrickab7

They legit got me wondering if they'd really bounce Ash out of the league this early. Put him out of his misery before he inevitably blows it later on. Ah well.

Looking at the final 16, it seemed obvious that Ash's later opponents would be Hau, Guzma, and Gladion (not necessarily in that order). It's just a matter of whether he loses within the tournament or wins it and then loses the title to Masked Royal so THE JOURNEY CAN CONTINUE~!

Henry's Journey

Oh right, thanks! So he's unable to form full sentences?

Omg why you so obsessed with what I said, the other guy understood perfectly what I was trying to convey and you insist like wth, I know you're a bitter one with the Sun & Moon anime but that's your problem.

Yes, this is it, it seems to me some people support corruption/cheating? :confused: Hala did what was right, why so bitter with the result (I think it has to do more with hatred of the SM anime) Ash won fair and square and some people upset with Ash!? saying it was "cruel" to Hau, wtf...

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well, I'm pretty sure we got the obligatory controversial league battle out of the way.

Surely there won't be ANOTHER one, right? No league has had tw-

*recalls Unova League*

-three controversial battles for sure.

...Then again, the beginning of this league may as well be the first controversial battle.

Nah. 3 controversial battles would be overkill here.

Red and Blue

Well, I'm pretty sure we got the obligatory controversial league battle out of the way.

Surely there won't be ANOTHER one, right? No league has had tw-

*recalls Unova League*

-three controversial battles for sure.

...Then again, the beginning of this league may as well be the first controversial battle.

Nah. 3 controversial battles would be overkill here.
Ash vs. Faba was controversial? Sure he did cheat but it ended up blowing up in his face when Meltan proved stronger than he realized

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash vs. Faba was controversial? Sure he did cheat but it ended up blowing up in his face when Meltan proved stronger

I find it more plausible that Meltan won due to forcing Hypno to let it's guard down after eating it's pendulum.

Hala did what was right, why so bitter with the result (I think it has to do more with hatred of the SM anime) Ash won fair and square and some people upset with Ash!? saying it was "cruel" to Hau, wtf...

it's the timing of the event that's wrong, if Rowlet had just defeated Decidueye straight forward, there wouldn't be any conflict like there is, but the writers couldn't resist bringing in the sleeping gag...in such an important battle...and that is why a lot of people are upset with it.

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
Yes, this is it, it seems to me some people support corruption/cheating? :confused: Hala did what was right, why so bitter with the result (I think it has to do more with hatred of the SM anime) Ash won fair and square and some people upset with Ash!? saying it was "cruel" to Hau, wtf...

Hala did what was right. Ash didn't. Ash took advantage of the fact that the battle got interrupted to wake Rowlett up. If Nanu hadn't interrupted the fight then Hau would have destroyed Rowlett while it was asleep.

Ash should have waited for the battle to start and then tried to wake Rowlett up while Decidueye was attacking it.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Imagine being this far in SM and expecting anything but a comedy battle. I feel the only serious battle this serious was Ash vs Misty and it could be due to they never had a serious battle in OS so that was to take up for it. If SM had more serious and legit battles and saved the comedy for outside of battles maybe people would be more into it. Sadly battles are season 1 style this series.

andrewscott48209

That said, Ash did kind of cheat unwittingly through the revised decision. If everyone was initially aware that Rowlett was asleep then Decidueye could have taken advantage of that and landed a free hit on Rowlett. Clearly, Ash was standing too far from Rowlett and even though he was shouting at it to stand up Rowlett didn't hear him. It was only after Ash went over to check on Rowlett, flipped it over and yelled at it to wake up that he actually got through. So technically, going over to your pokemon, physically interacting with it during battle and helping it out of a status condition is cheating. Obviously it wasn't intentional but Ash should have returned back to his position without waking Rowlett up and they should have resumed the battle with it still asleep. That would have been the honorable thing to do. However, strictly speaking, the battle was interrupted at the point when Ash woke Rowlett up so it's debatable whether that was an actual rule violation.
But Ash never made any contact with Rowlet. While Hala was explaining his decision, Rowlet rolled over on his back, then Ash ran up to him and woke him up.

UnovaMaster

Teasing a 4th top 8 finish was brilliance, all the hearts that sank

The writers know exactly who they are riling up AND I LOVE IT

Hopefully more aimed attacks are coming