• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Birdacious Battle! Brave Bird VS Sky Attack!! (1076)

DatsRight

I didn't really see as big a problem with this fight. Sure the fake out was a bit damn underhanded (and kinda mean spirited to poor Hau), but it had it's effect and shown Hala was gonna play it down the middle no matter who was battling (and he was there to comfort his grandson at the end, making perfectly clear he still supported him). I hope Hau gets a little more screen time after this, it'd be tragic to see him leave on that cruel note.

I appreciate Ash treated the whole situation earnestly, he was distraught when it was seemingly over but was supposedly all set to accept it with grace until it was overruled. He was also pretty damn apologetic about it (and hilariously pissed off with Rowlet). Otherwise I think the battle was fairly believable, both sides pulled off good moves and the build up trying to master Feather Dance made it feel far less like a DEM. Seriously if they did more mid-battle move learns like this I would tolerate them. Rowlet also looked feasibly challenged by Decideye's power throughout though experience ultimately came into play.

I do admit that the most perfect plot device was wasted here. Rowlet never learned a sleeping based move like Rest or Roost, that would have given ideal substance to why he could hold on so well and why he would continuously drop off in inopportune times. Sleeping GAVE him power. It's bewildering they never went with that.

Kiawe vs Sophocles has an interesting first half. I'm not fully sure what to make of Sophocles actually keeping pace with Kiawe. There are some elements to play on, Sophocles, like Lillie, is tactic heavy and is directly using his observations of Kiawe to counter him, just he has the relatively more powerful Vikavolt (and type advantage attacks) to offer more power advantage than Lillie with Snowy while Kiawe is using his oldest Pokemon he has least experience battling with (and it still takes a good while just for Vikavolt to land one hit). Still it does seem like a drastic buff for Sophocles in such a compressed amount of battles, maybe not as spurious as Serena's buff with even less transition at the end of XY but still a little questionable, even if they are at least trying to justify it.

Team Rocket getting a bone thrown and getting a legit great amount of profit with their snack stand, while Bewear and Stufful continue to be led on by TR's expanded dupe. Guess TR may as well get something out of this event.

Last edited:

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I was watching a Watchmojo vid last night titled Top 10 times anime trolled the fans, guess what was #1.
Something completely unrelated to pokémon because this is barely in the top 100?

Granted, that'd require those kinds of sites and channels to think in a period of longer than a week, which in today's Internet culture is impossible

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Something completely unrelated to pokémon because this is barely in the top 100?
Your sarcasm levels must be strong, because actually the fake out in this episode claimed the top spot (not that it should be). I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
If Watchmojo wants to have input here they can post themselves. Their opinions are no more valid than anyone elses and probably much less because they're shallow clickbaiters that barely conduct any research, just form your own opinions.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
This sudden spike in intelligence/observation from Kaki, though. Over several episodes this arc, he's essentially been filling the role for characters like Brock and Dent. Pin-pointing both Guzma's plan in the battle with Llima, then the same for Rowlet vs Dedicueye in knowing Satoshi was was "setting up turn the tide with a Brave Bird" which wasn't even obvious to the viewers, and knowing the Sky Attack wasn't fully charged (which isn't as impressive as the prior mentioned two, yes i'm aware). Kaki, chill.

Man that match with Hau and Satoshi... I was bamboozled the hell out of (even though I predicted Satoshi would win and that he wouldn't be able to fight Gladion or Guzma. This series is just such a joke that Satoshi losing here could have actually happened)... Like, holy freaking christ. This definitely tops Satoshi vs Shooty, which wasn't that bad of a battle, especially since Satoshi was using his actual ace. Anyway, Hala making the call actually made a fair good bit of sense. I'm just surprised Dedicueye didn't share Hala's keen observation, as it was once a Rowlet. Alternatively, without Hala's call, I think once Satoshi went over to Rowlet and informed the referee that it was asleep, the same outcome would of course still happened. (Not like it hasn't happened before.) That said, between the feather dance uses, the brave bird (which is cited in universe as being a top tier flying type attack) uses, and the uncharged sky attack, the victory and battle wasn't that bad. The referee even actually ran up to get a close inspection on Decidueye to make SURE it was knocked out, learning from his mistake prior with Rowlet.

Meltan I see you ;) I' been keeping my eye on you ever since you were caught. I know EXACTLY why you're spinning like that.

Hmm... Am I starting to like Mamane more than Trevor? I like that little interaction he had with Kaki in the building. Also, that first part of the battle... Just, wow. The way I see this based on this first part is the development of a genius who finally started getting into and good at Pokemon battling. Like say developing into a figure like Conway or Clemont, other tactical battles who are also smart. Channeling his intelligence into battling once he gets the hang of it. Not to mention he is clearly familiar with Kaki and his battling style, as they are close friends, which the announcers reiterated too. But with him using the Z move in that instance against Kaki's Lizardon, even if it lands and is a critical hit, the end results of the match remains obvious, unfortunately. (Not like he has more than two Pokemon anyway so that he can actually continue to further rounds.)

Post ending scene: Yes, Meltan, yes! Gather all them other Meltan. You know what it's time for!

DatsRight

This sudden spike in intelligence/observation from Kaki, though. Over several episodes this arc, he's essentially been filling the role for characters like Brock and Dent. Pin-pointing both Guzma's plan in the battle with Llima, then the same for Rowlet vs Dedicueye in knowing Satoshi was was "setting up turn the tide with a Brave Bird" which wasn't even obvious to the viewers, and knowing the Sky Attack wasn't fully charged (which isn't as impressive as the prior mentioned two, yes i'm aware). Kaki, chill.

I believe he was usually Mr Exposition for most of Ash's fights this series. It's something I appreciate with a male companion who isn't limited JUST to doing it. They definitely wanted to keep a balance between intelligent/stoically observant badass Kiawe and over passionate comic relief Kiawe. In fact for all it's indulgence in comedy and over the topness, SM is pretty commendable for avoiding Flanderising anyone mid-series. Ash, Kiawe, Rowlet, etc. Most of the cast kept their balance of traits, never becoming limited to just their gags. About the only exceptions may be Lana and Mallow, and I think that was partially because they didn't have much consistent to keep balance with their earlier selves.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
I believe he was usually Mr Exposition for most of Ash's fights this series. It's something I appreciate with a male companion who isn't limited JUST to doing it. They definitely wanted to keep a balance between intelligent/stoically observant badass Kiawe and over passionate comic relief Kiawe. In fact for all it's indulgence in comedy and over the topness, SM is pretty commendable for avoiding Flanderising anyone mid-series. Ash, Kiawe, Rowlet, etc. Most of the cast kept their balance of traits, never becoming limited to just their gags. About the only exceptions may be Lana and Mallow, and I think that was partially because they didn't have much consistent to keep balance with their earlier selves.

I don't recall Kaki doing it to this competent degree in past battles. The other traits I remember well, especially his weakness for his sister.

Jackfrost2018

I didn't really see as big a problem with this fight. Sure the fake out was a bit damn underhanded (and kinda mean spirited to poor Hau), but it had it's effect and shown Hala was gonna play it down the middle no matter who was battling (and he was there to comfort his grandson at the end, making perfectly clear he still supported him). I hope Hau gets a little more screen time after this, it'd be tragic to see him leave on that cruel note.

I appreciate Ash treated the whole situation earnestly, he was distraught when it was seemingly over but was supposedly all set to accept it with grace until it was overruled. He was also pretty damn apologetic about it (and hilariously pissed off with Rowlet). Otherwise I think the battle was fairly believable, both sides pulled off good moves and the build up trying to master Feather Dance made it feel far less like a DEM. Seriously if they did more mid-battle move learns like this I would tolerate them. Rowlet also looked feasibly challenged by Decideye's power throughout though experience ultimately came into play.

I do admit that the most perfect plot device was wasted here. Rowlet never learned a sleeping based move like Rest or Roost, that would have given ideal substance to why he could hold on so well and why he would continuously drop off in inopportune times. Sleeping GAVE him power. It's bewildering they never went with that.

Kiawe vs Sophocles has an interesting first half. I'm not fully sure what to make of Sophocles actually keeping pace with Kiawe. There are some elements to play on, Sophocles, like Lillie, is tactic heavy and is directly using his observations of Kiawe to counter him, just he has the relatively more powerful Vikavolt (and type advantage attacks) to offer more power advantage than Lillie with Snowy while Kiawe is using his oldest Pokemon he has least experience battling with (and it still takes a good while just for Vikavolt to land one hit). Still it does seem like a drastic buff for Sophocles in such a compressed amount of battles, maybe not as spurious as Serena's buff with even less transition at the end of XY but still a little questionable, even if they are at least trying to justify it.

Team Rocket getting a bone thrown and getting a legit great amount of profit with their snack stand, while Bewear and Stufful continue to be led on by TR's expanded dupe. Guess TR may as well get something out of this event.

Rowlet would dominate if Ash had taught him Sleep Talk instead of Feather Dance.

Ash would have good reason to use his Normalium-Z again since Z-Sleep Talk will convert any move it becomes into the Z-Move variant.

So Rowlet would have had a 1/3 chance of getting Supersonic Skystrike to take out Decidueye.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Rowlet would dominate if Ash had taught him Sleep Talk instead of Feather Dance.

Ash would have good reason to use his Normalium-Z again since Z-Sleep Talk will convert any move it becomes into the Z-Move variant.

So Rowlet would have had a 1/3 chance of getting Supersonic Skystrike to take out Decidueye.

You know what's funny. In DP, it was stated that Ash had Heracross learn Sleep Talk in order to deal with Nando's Sing tactics. How did Ash know how to teach that move?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
What’s the context from that line?

Nanu says this to Ash after it's revealed by Hala that Rowlet was sleeping rather than being knocked out.

what i'm getting at is that it definitely seems like Nanu sounded rude by saying that, but given what rowlet did it's hard to say it's not justified.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
@LilligantLewis , as a sports fan, what do you make of this battle and what happened in it?
if you're referring to the fact that the decision was prematurely called and the ruling was overturned, I think that's fine because it happens all the time in modern sports with video replay. However, that's mostly in team sports whereas the closest equivalent to this would be combat sports that are 1v1, in which the referee's decision for a TKO is usually final and can't be reversed.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
So many at fault in this.

Nanu for not going to fully check and see If Rowlet was knocked out

Rowlet for falling asleep at such a critical point

Hau for not contesting his grandfather's call, which he had every right to do (but choose not too) and no it wouldn't have made him look like a bad trainer for doing so.

and overall the writers.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So many at fault in this.

Nanu for not going to fully check and see If Rowlet was knocked out

Rowlet for falling asleep at such a critical point

Hau for not contesting his grandfather's call, which he had every right to do (but choose not too) and no it wouldn't have made him look like a bad trainer for doing so.

and overall the writers.
Don't forget the fact Hau was poorly written up until this point.