• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Birdacious Battle! Brave Bird VS Sky Attack!! (1076)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
So many at fault in this.

Nanu for not going to fully check and see If Rowlet was knocked out

Rowlet for falling asleep at such a critical point

Hau for not contesting his grandfather's call, which he had every right to do (but choose not too) and no it wouldn't have made him look like a bad trainer for doing so.

and overall the writers.

Rowlet falling asleep makes sense tho, especially if you consider it's pokedex entry

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I literally feel sick after watching this episode. It would have been one thing if Nanu was about to call Rowlet unable to battle, and then it was revealed that he was just asleep, but to have Hau's victory on the scoreboard and then have Hau and Decidueye celebrating their victory, only to have it viciously ripped away from them and lose in the most BS way, I don't blame Hau for crying. I don't care what anyone says- Ash lost this battle. He can go on to win the whole thing, hell he can even beat Kukui at this point, it doesn't matter. Ash lost here. Pathetic. This was needlessly cruel treatment to Hau.

What do you think about the bold now?

Did it make sense that Decedueye had takeb so much demage it almost couldnt stand up the first time ?

Yes, Flying is super-effective to Grass.

Pikachu has Golisopod

Actually, Tapu Koko

He was just breathing to give Ash's Rowlet SOMETHING personal to overcome

and also to allow a Decidueye to play a major role in the anime. Before this league, no Decidueye had had any major appearance in the anime. Its only appearance was getting merced by the Masked Royal in his debut episode, which was a less-than-a-minute backgroud appearance, and that was it for the whole anime! that was never going to be a starter final evolution's only appearance in the anime!

I will admit this was disappointing but they already pulled the biggest ash pull in the form of Thunder Armor; nothing will ever top that.

I like the expression ash pull

People are not necessarily upset that they chose to resume the battle (I mean I am, but I definitely do not speak for anyone else). The reason so many of us are upset is because of the cruel treatment of Hau.

Yes, mistakes happen. Nanu is human, and humans make mistakes. The closest comparison I can make to this situation is with the Miss Universe Pageant. Steve Harvey very clearly made a mistake when he announced the winner, that much is clear. The horrible part of the situation comes from the fact that the runner-up was left thinking that she had won for an extended period of time, which made it all the more awful for her when the realization set in that she did not actually win. Yes, it was horrible, but it was a mistake. Everyone agrees that this never should have happened.

The absolutely disgusting part of this is that Pokemon is a fictional show. The writers specifically planned out that this exact situation was going to happen. They purposely let Hau believe that he had actually won for almost two whole minutes. Yes, Hau is obviously not real, but the fact that the writers did this on purpose just for a cheap laugh is just wrong. They could have easily revealed that Rowlet had been sleeping just as Nanu started to declare him unable to battle, but they did not. They purposely chose to go through with this whole thing. They let Hau finally get a taste of the victory over Ash that he had been preparing for for so long just to rip it away from him at the last second. As a joke.

@Ryu Taylor I want to slightly amend what I told you a few posts ago. After reading this, I'm realizing that despite not even being a sporting event, @SceptileTheBanana's mention above of the 2015 Miss Universe is actually a closer real life example to what happened in this episode. Despite the reality being that Nanu misinterpreted Rowlet's state, instead of misreading off a card like Steve Harvey, the main point of contention with people about this episode is Hau's reaction to thinking he won, not Nanu's mistake. Therefore, it's more in line with that Miss Universe incident than a real life sporting event, ironically. I do appreciate that you first thought of sports and thought of me though.

You know what's funny. In DP, it was stated that Ash had Heracross learn Sleep Talk in order to deal with Nando's Sing tactics. How did Ash know how to teach that move?

Damn, Ash used to be such a good trainer.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I liked how they clarified that Hala is the "chief referee" hence why he can if needed overrule calls made by other referees. Ideally though, he should have done so faster (since it seems like he realized right away that Rowlet was asleep and not knocked out), since he seemed to have the means to get his voice heard over the crowd and yet the fakeout played out for what looked like a good minute or two. But perhaps he was conflicted about taking away Hau's apparent victory. Pn the other hand, like Hau said, he wouldn't have been satisfied if he hadn't actually won with a knockout.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I watched it expecting the worst, but I honestly didn't think it was that bad (still far from great as battles go). Rowlet's weird Substitute/Featherdance looked nice, as did Sky Attack (liked how they utilized it as weaker if not fully charged), and Hau crying as Hala held him was the first time his character felt all that strong for me (they really introduced him way too late and did too little with him). Liked how Nanu lampshaded how unorthodox the battle was too.

What got me was how weak they made Arrow Raid look (Rowlet's Z-move looked more impressive), though at least it looked more impressive than Lycanroc's unique z-move. I also found it interesting that they treated Spirit Shackle as if it was a move that doesn't actually do any damage and only traps the opponent in place.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Yeah honestly, while this is far from the best battle in this arc, or this series for that matter... its badness is blown way out of proportion. I agree that the fakeout was obnoxious, but other than that, it was perfectly serviceable. And of course it would end with the Feather Dance training paying off in an unconventional way allowing him an opening to take out Ju'niper with Brave Bird. The setup for exactly this to happen was so overt that having anything else happen would in fact be awful writing.