• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Blustery Santalune Gym Battle! (808)

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I liked Viola in this episode. I'm not into Gym battle episodes but I will watch just to see the Gym Leaders, I know how the Gym matches themselves will go. Viola's voice was so nice to listen to, She must be the Skyla of Kalos. I assume when Bonnie spoke to Viola she said "Viola please marry my brother and make me a aunt." Clemont's reaction to it was great with the Aipom arm thing. It was more comical then I thought it would be, but I can see it going dry if it goes as long as Brock's gag did. Either Viola talks some smack in the battle or Ash doesn't like losing, cause he looked rather pissed with Viola after she won. You'd think after five regions of the same old shtick, he'd be used to this. It's kinda for that reason I wasn't at all concerned about the loss. I know he's going to win and Alexa's training him. Apparently she wants to see her little sister fail as Gym Leader and lose. That will teach Viola for not getting Alexa a birthday gift.

And finally Serena joins the cast and I have to say, I really missed episode 1 and 2's Serena. Today we got shy Serena, which is understandable, but maybe they should have had her meet Ash and friends in another episode besides this one. Her interactions with Bonnie were cute, however brief they were but I hope they can flesh her out on the main cast soon. No Team Rocket I believe. Still feels strange.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
why didnt ash use froakie in his gym battle?...

Cause Pikachu is his main, and fletchling has the atvantage.

I'll watch this later though. Exciting.

Also, i don't mind how serena's acting right now, but I'm sure some people are going to take issue with it ._...

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
I don't even get the assumptions some people have made(not necessarily here) that somehow lack of power is why Pikachu lost, because it certainly wasn't.

Right near the start of the battle it countered Pikachu's electroball with ice beam. It then froze the whole floor giving it a massive advantage. Pikachu wasn't able to move well at all, while Surskit being a water skeeter was able to skid around on the ice like it was nothing. Pikachu was still struggling to get its footing and Surskit seized this chance to hammer the crap out of it. So it's only logically Pikachu lost it could barely stand let alone battle on that field.

Had pikachu been on even footing with Surskit no doubt would Pikachu would have won. To further that Ash then sent out his fletchling being a flying type the ice field wasn't a problem and it quickly destroyed surskit proving surskit only won because of field advantage.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
So all those subtitles with Serena excited to meet Ash are wrong? She seems obsessed with him.

I have no intent to dig through an entire "translated" script and make a detailed list of everything that was wrong just because people insist on reading it despite being told it's full of errors.

dman_dustin

This episode had a lot of good things about it.

1. Random Viola appearance taking a picture of Ash and Pikachu at the water fountain, and if I heard the words correctly, Viola pointing out where the gym was.

2. Helioptile suddenly really liking Ash, I know we saw this in the first episode, but when exactly did Helioptile warm up to Ash.

3. Clemont freaking out when Bonnie was asking Viola's hand in marriage (I assume that's Bonnie was doing) requiring Clemont to use his Aipom arm. LOL absolutely LOL, it looked to me like Clemont was dying of embarrassment. Absolutely hilarious.

4. Pikachu being beaten by Surskit, not that was entirely good, but it confirmed that Fletchling was going to beat Surskit.

5. Serena. For some reason I like Serena far more than the other girls, there's just something innocent and gentle about her other than the other girls, that I just like. I just disliked all the other girls, I guess maybe Serena is just handled better I guess. But I'm sure we'll have the obligatory Serena and Ash arguing episode, that I *LOVE* so much.

Things I didn't really like:

1. Overall the battle felt too rushed, and too quick but meh.

2. Ash being so emotional about his Pokemon. Ash has had battles before, tough battles, I don't know if he blames himself for the battle, but Ash was definitely too emotional, and what the hell was the point of Ash catching Pikachu and Fletchling while they were pushed away with Noivern's gust attack. I don't know about you, but that was just kind of awful to watch. Knowing what I've seen Ash's Pokemon have endured in the past. I don't know they're doing the whole Ash cares about Pokemon to such high extremes, that I don't really care for it. I hope they ease up a little, because it's kind of distracting. On occasion, sure, it will be fine, but not every time Ash's Pokemon get hurt. It's like watching N battling, not Ash. Ash wants to be a Pokemon master, he wants to battle gym leader earn badges, but why is Ash acting like his Pokemon being damaged which was going to happen, why is he acting like they're going to die or something.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
So Serena finally found Ash in the Gym. It has so thoughtful of handling him the handichief and stuff. I'm sorry that I have to see him lose to Viola. But its great to see Alexa again. If Serena really have a crush on Ash, then the other girls better watch out.

World Turtle

I don't think it matters. I think the reason Ash looks up Pokemon that he had looked up before in his Pokedex is so that the viewers can know a little bit about the said Pokemon.

So Ash knows about the fourth wall? That explains a lot if you think about it.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~

Yeah atcually, if he did this, then to be honest we would KNOW the logic is broken and we wouldn't have to worry about it. XD

Rohanator

This episode had a lot of good things about it.

1. Random Viola appearance taking a picture of Ash and Pikachu at the water fountain, and if I heard the words correctly, Viola pointing out where the gym was.

2. Helioptile suddenly really liking Ash, I know we saw this in the first episode, but when exactly did Helioptile warm up to Ash.

3. Clemont freaking out when Bonnie was asking Viola's hand in marriage (I assume that's Bonnie was doing) requiring Clemont to use his Aipom arm. LOL absolutely LOL, it looked to me like Clemont was dying of embarrassment. Absolutely hilarious.

4. Pikachu being beaten by Surskit, not that was entirely good, but it confirmed that Fletchling was going to beat Surskit.

5. Serena. For some reason I like Serena far more than the other girls, there's just something innocent and gentle about her other than the other girls, that I just like. I just disliked all the other girls, I guess maybe Serena is just handled better I guess. But I'm sure we'll have the obligatory Serena and Ash arguing episode, that I *LOVE* so much.

Things I didn't really like:

1. Overall the battle felt too rushed, and too quick but meh.

2. Ash being so emotional about his Pokemon. Ash has had battles before, tough battles, I don't know if he blames himself for the battle, but Ash was definitely too emotional, and what the hell was the point of Ash catching Pikachu and Fletchling while they were pushed away with Noivern's gust attack. I don't know about you, but that was just kind of awful to watch. Knowing what I've seen Ash's Pokemon have endured in the past. I don't know they're doing the whole Ash cares about Pokemon to such high extremes, that I don't really care for it. I hope they ease up a little, because it's kind of distracting. On occasion, sure, it will be fine, but not every time Ash's Pokemon get hurt. It's like watching N battling, not Ash. Ash wants to be a Pokemon master, he wants to battle gym leader earn badges, but why is Ash acting like his Pokemon being damaged which was going to happen, why is he acting like they're going to die or something.
I'm pretty sure they just needed a reason for Ash to get bruised up to end the episode as they did with Serena lol.
Also I like that he was so upset about the loss, instead of brushing it aside being all "oh well we'll just have to try harder next time".
I agree that the battle was pretty quick but then there was a lot of other things to cover in this episode, I'm just thankful that this battle was the rushed one, the one in next weeks episode should be handled better, I hope. And even then it's not like the matchups and KO's were unrealistically handled bar Pikachu falling to so few of Surskit's hits, which is just standard early series nerfed Pikachu lol.

Sephora

yes I'm back

No, you misunderstood. Obviously Ash is not aware of the fourth wall. I meant the writers have Ash do that for that reason. Plus they give a little extra info about the Pokemon in terms of it's type or characteristics which help in a battle.

I can't get over the Bonnie asking Viola to marry Clemont scene. It was hilarious because Clemont looked genuinely embarrassed xD
It seems like Bonnie used to do that before because he knew before she asked Viola to be his bride what was coming next.
Bonnie asking Viola.
Embarrassed Clemont.

Ash, as always, was clueless as ever and seemed to not know what they were talking about lol.

Last edited:

Chimchar15

This episode was great. I love how fast paced the gym match was and I wasn't crazy about how Ash handled the lost but I understand I don't like losing either no matter how many times it happens. Also no team rocket was great I'm glad that they kept that part from BW.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Perhaps this is a psychological point where Ash finally added up his losses from the past and thus is becoming self-aware of how much he sucks.

And I am NOT saying he sucks...well, as a character. He sucks as a trainer.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
No, you misunderstood. Obviously Ash is not aware of the fourth wall. I meant the writers have Ash do that for that reason. Plus they give a little extra info about the Pokemon in terms of it's type or characteristics which help in a battle.

I can't get over the Bonnie asking Viola to marry Clemont scene. It was hilarious because Clemont looked genuinely embarrassed xD
It seems like Bonnie used to do that before because he knew before she asked Viola to be his bride what was coming next.
Bonnie asking Viola.
Embarrassed Clemont.

Ash, as always, was clueless as ever and seemed to not know what they were talking about lol.

Looks like Bonnie becomes a whole new Brock with a twist.

Nodame

Misty <3
The group interaction seems interesting and DP styled battles are finally back. This episode was good

Haunter ゴースト

Oh man, this is the best saga ever and it's only been five episodes.

Everything about this was great - The music, the battle, the group interactions and the actual feeling of the show having depth to it instead of a simple formula.

I can't be bothered to make a huge paragraph but i will say it's great that a Gym Loss was actually reasonable, Ash genuinely doesn't feel reset with Pikachu, the Surskit was strong and tactically beat him.

I haven't nerded out on the anime in so long before XY (the last time was when Mewtwo returning was first announced for Movie 16 before being let down - before that was the back in DP at the league), but here every episode has been great so far. I love it. I really do.

This is my second favourite episode so far in XY next to XY002.

10/10.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Oh man, this is the best saga ever and it's only been five episodes.

Everything about this was great - The music, the battle, the group interactions and the actual feeling of the show having depth to it instead of a simple formula.

I can't be bothered to make a huge paragraph but i will say it's great that a Gym Loss was actually reasonable, Ash genuinely doesn't feel reset with Pikachu, the Surskit was strong and tactically beat him.

I haven't nerded out on the anime in so long before XY (the last time was when Mewtwo returning was first announced for Movie 16 before being let down - before that was the back in DP at the league), but here every episode has been great so far. I love it. I really do.

This is my second favourite episode so far in XY next to XY002.

10/10.

I agree with every single word you said ^^
It's only been five episodes and I have a feeling this will be one of my favourite sagas. It had a "realistic anime" feel to it that the previous sagas (IMO) did not have.

Haunter ゴースト

I agree with every single word you said ^^
It's only been five episodes and I have a feeling this will be one of my favourite sagas. It had a "realistic anime" feel to it that the previous sagas (IMO) did not have.

This may be drastic but this, if it keeps up the same quality is my favourite saga without a doubt. I agree, it finally feels like an actual anime show.

Dax

Legend
I don't like obsessing over episodes, but this one was quite good. Even if the battle, especially Fletchling's win, was rushed, the episode had a nice tone and natural progression. Also, I'm loving Serena. Her personality is so peaceful and she seems genuinely excited, not only to meet Ash, but to start her journey. As simply as her plot is, the mystery behind it is engaging.

BlueDragonfangirl

Yah, it is interesting how much of a reaction Ash is having to this loss, kind of like it. He hasn't felt this bad about loosing since his six on six battle with Paul in the D / P series. Guess the writers this series really want to show us this series how far Ash wants to push himself to get to his goal, guess that BW series really made him wise up due to his regression in the BW league, you saw how embarrassed he was when noticed that? I like this arc for him the best :)

Edit;

Poor guy who's out of shape and going to get rejected by girls each episode due to Bonnie, he's going to be driven nuts.

Last edited: