• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Blustery Santalune Gym Battle! (808)

LizardonX

Banned
This is the same pikachu that lost to an elekid and tied with a magiakrp in the same region he ended up nearly beating a few legendaries.

it was the world's strongest magikarp though. And I;m fairly sure that elekid had perfect IVs. This is just a random surskit. I fear for ash being able to pull off any believable wins if he starts off like this.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
If the Surskit thing is blown to crazy proportions, this could be pretty bad foreshadowing for the rest of the region...

As in this:

Valerie: Well now, dear, I put your Lucario out of commission. Perhaps wasting Bullet Punch every time you had on my Mawile was not such a good idea. Who is next to taste the power of fairies?

Ash: *Grabs head* UAH! I only brought that one to the fight because that was my best idea! Wait right here! *Runs out the Gym to restock party*

Valerie: *Sighs* Oh, these Kantonians. They sure do come from the boonies.

And you people know things went downhill when something like THIS happened!

Outburstz

This is the anime not the games. There is no such thing as levels. Plus who knows how many battles Surskit was in? Viola is obviously a talented gymleader in terms of her strategy.

Uh, better strategies? Ash isn't the only one who can do that yah know?

Pikachu may be really strong but it's not just strength that can defeat a person alone. Ash just needs to think up even better strategies while training his Pokemon.

These sounds like excuses to me. Pikachu tied with a legendary and beat a Regice no way it should lose to a water type like Surskit. I mean just one thunderbolt should have been enough yet for some reason Ash told Pikachu to use quick attack and than iron tail. Than Ash didn't think to break the ice which he is pretty famous for.

He finally uses thunderbolt after the Surskit launched an ice beam and gets over powered so yea I call BS on that.

Sephora

yes I'm back
This is just a random surskit.

It's not like it belongs to a gym leader and is well trained with a great move pool or anything. Nope, just some random Surskit.

These sounds like excuses to me. Pikachu tied with a legendary and beat a Regice no way it should lose to a water type like Surskit. I mean just one thunderbolt should have been enough yet for some reason Ash told Pikachu to use quick attack and than iron tail. Than Ash didn't think to break the ice which he is pretty famous for.

He finally uses thunderbolt after the Surskit launched an ice beam and gets over powered so yea I call BS on that.

Call them whatever you want, but it's the truth. It would be pretty boring if Pikachu would defeat her Pokemon like nothing. I guess the writers just want to make it more entertaining for the viewers by making it seem like a challenge. At least the loss was not humiliating like half the BW losses. Pikachu was at a huge disadvantage because of the ice, otherwise it would've won for sure. Same goes for Fletchling who got caught in the web. Viola's strategy is to make her opponents trapped and then attack. If it wasn't for that, I am certain Ash would've won (Fletchling defeated Surskit like nothing because it was not having problems with the ice).

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
It's not like it belongs to a gym leader and is well trained with a great move pool or anything. Nope, just some random Surskit.

It's also only the first gym leader and it would be extremely disrespectful to those behind her if they let ash worm his way out of worse later on.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I liked this episode to be honest; the thing that helped relieve my cynicism most of all was the beautiful animation. I liked seeing Serena and Fennekin eating at the start of the episode, and Ash's excitement to find the Santalune City Gym was funny even if it was sort of ruined by his cluelessness about the Gym's location until he met Viola. Speaking of which, I wasn't a fan of the cliche "Ash meets a Gym Leader without realizing who they are at first" thing, but whatever. It worked this time I guess. I loved the pictures of Bug-type Pokemon inside Viola's Gym and the Gym's battle field looked gorgeous as I said before in the other thread. The Clemont/Bonnie gag was funny too but only because this was the first time it really happened. I hope it doesn't get repetitive later on. Surskit impressed me by being so fast even without the ice field, and I loved the perspective change when Surskit and Pikachu were firing attacks. Unfortunately, Pikachu lost which surprised me; I thought Pikachu would be withdrawn and battle Vivillon instead but I was wrong. Not sure how I feel about Pikachu's loss. Serena showing up and seeing Ash from behind was cute, but the actual battle between Surskit and Fletchling was disappointing; what happened to Surskit's amazing speed? It just seemed a lot slower and I'm surprised Fletchling's last attack beat it. Fletchling vs. Vivillon was also disappointing, mostly because it seemed like Vivillon won too easily. Anyway, I liked that Serena seemed sad for Ash and that she found his backpack. I particularly enjoyed the scene change to Viola and Alexa; we don't often get to see what other characters are doing so that was cool. Seeing Ash moping around was kind of annoying since he took the loss so seriously; him meeting Serena interested me though because he obviously didn't remember her. Oh well. I really disliked the Nurse Joy explanation at the Pokemon Center, but at least Ash acknowledge that he'd seen this all before in the past. And the training with Noivern at the end was interesting. I'd give this episode a 7 out of 10. It was better than expected, but not quite perfect.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
It's also only the first gym leader and it would be extremely disrespectful to those behind her if they let ash worm his way out of worse later on.

he has to lose at some point.

Morning Sun has it right, Viola's strategies involve incapacitating the opponent and then going in for the kill, which succeeded in doing.

If you can get around the incapacitation, she's dead.

Outburstz

This is the anime not the games. There is no such thing as levels. Plus who knows how many battles Surskit was in? Viola is obviously a talented gymleader in terms of her strategy.

Uh, better strategies? Ash isn't the only one who can do that yah know?

Pikachu may be really strong but it's not just strength that can defeat a person alone. Ash just needs to think up even better strategies while training his Pokemon.

he has to lose at some point.

Morning Sun has it right, Viola's strategies involve incapacitating the opponent and then going in for the kill, which succeeded in doing.

If you can get around the incapacitation, she's dead.

I was expecting (and still am expecting ) him to lose to the other gym leaders. I have 3 in mind right off the bat but I thought he would only lose to two of them.
[spoil] Valerie fairy type
Olympia psychic type
and Korrina fighting type[/spoil]

Navin

MALDREAD
Yah, it is interesting how much of a reaction Ash is having to this loss, kind of like it. He hasn't felt this bad about loosing since his six on six battle with Paul in the D / P series. Guess the writers this series really want to show us this series how far Ash wants to push himself to get to his goal, guess that BW series really made him wise up due to his regression in the BW league, you saw how embarrassed he was when noticed that? I like this arc for him the best :)

Edit;

Poor guy who's out of shape and going to get rejected by girls each episode due to Bonnie, he's going to be driven nuts.

Wait, when did Ash become embarassed by his regression/performance in the BW league?

But I agree with what you said above. I know Ash taking losses calmly is supposed to show 'maturity', but I honestly wanted to see Ash show some more emotion in BW. I'm glad he realizes he was completely unprepared for the gym and is ready to push himself.

Very nice episode. Solid animation and music. It's really interesting where the writers are going with the Ash x Serena relationship. Can't wait till Episode 6.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
You mean to tell me that just because levels don't exist in the anime that the pokemon in the leagues that Pikachu faced were just as strong as Viola's bug pokemon? People have some right to complain a little about certain pokemon inconsistancies regarding power and strength.
a.k.a (Pikachu)

Last edited by a moderator:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
When your first Gym fight ends up in your defeat, you should feel bad. Ash was just lucky he didn't lose against the Striaton Triplets to angst about it like he did here.

So which is worse? Brock, Roark or this in terms of losing.

People seem to keep writing this same crap over and over.

You mean to tell me that just because levels don't exist in the anime that the pokemon in the leagues that Pikachu faced were just as strong as Viola's bug pokemon? People have some right to complain a little about certain pokemon inconsistancies regarding power and strength.
a.k.a (Pikachu)

If one good thing comes of this loss, it's that Ash can't take the region's gym leaders lightly(which is what he did here, took Viola too lightly, got caught off guard and ended up losing.), and it'll push him to train himself for the remaining ones.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Pikachu didn't seem reset this time. I can belive that it lost this time because of Ice on the ground and it not being able to move that will on ice.

If he didn't reset a weak Surskit shouldn't beat it easly and able to take attacks from it.

My level 50 Pikachu isn't going to lose just becuase a level 4 Rock type has Sandstorm going on.

I know its anime and its plot but reseting it like they did in the past, made it seems more acceptable.

Also Super DP/AG non existant but somehow existant in some people head strategy is, LETS GET DEM POKEMON FAT, well atleast its funny.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

a.k.a (Pikachu)

I'm mostly upset because Pikachu didn't take any direct hits other than Signal Beam if I remember correctly. I know he used Electro Ball and that Surskit countered with Ice Beam which caused an explosion, but I didn't think that did any real damage. So I'm just surprised that Signal Beam was the move that defeated Pikachu. And it wasn't even at close range either so that can't be used as an excuse.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm mostly upset because Pikachu didn't take any direct hits other than Signal Beam if I remember correctly. I know he used Electro Ball and that Surskit countered with Ice Beam which caused an explosion, but I didn't think that did any real damage. So I'm just surprised that Signal Beam was the move that defeated Pikachu. And it wasn't even at close range either so that can't be used as an excuse.

It's the Serperior with the piss-weak defenses all over again, except worse.

Sephora

yes I'm back

a.k.a (Pikachu)

Please be at least a little respectful and don't say what I wrote was "crap". That was unnecessary and rude.

I totally I understand what you guys mean, and I was disappointed in the gym battle myself with Pikachu losing, but the thing is that Pikachu was at a huge disadvantage due to Viola's ice strategy. Like I said before, Viola seems to be the kind of battler that traps her opponents and then goes in for the attack (Fletchling got caught by the web as well). I bet if Pikachu was able to move properly on the ice field, he would've won for sure.
As for the signal beam finishing him off (which was terrible imo), the battle can only be so long since the writers had to introduce Serena and have Alexa offer to train him. If they made the battle longer, they would've had to stretch this episode into two. Yeah it sucks, but hey, I am not complaining. XY is a huge step up from BW and the animation was amazing which made the somewhat disappointing battle at least worth watching.
Hopefully Ash's next battles will be incredible.

Last edited:

Animefan145

Great episode, too bad it ended in a loss for Ash, but at least a good deal of strategy and it lasted a while. I hate battles where its mostly a few dodges and then a KO. Though not that many Bug attacks, I think it was just that web and Signal Beam (I think?) but a lot of movement and strategy like the ice field and then that webbing as set-up too. Ash possibly took the loss a bit too hard, but oh well, XY's Ash is just really emotional and enthusiastic about everything. Funny that balloon training at the end, but at least he's right back to training.

Heh, I'm still liking Clement and Bonnie a lot- its kind of a rehash of the old Brock trying to get a girlfriend joke, but its still funny with how adorable Bonnie is, not to mention Clement using that Aipom arm to drag her away. And depending on how long they drag this joke out, it could stay funny, as at least Bonnie is still waving even as she's being dragged away, unlike Brock getting his ear yanked or punched by his own Pokemon, etc.

So Serena has finally caught up, now to see how she joins the group. She's been chasing after Ash, but actually meeting him is kind of awkward too. And did they do that "Nurse Joy, weren't you in the last town?" joke? What with that Nurse Joy group picture. Just hope Ash wasn't the one asking that, but with Serena as the new trainer, she can take up the new trainer role.

Great first Gym episode, looking forward to Ash's rematch next week. Not quite sure how to take Alexa helping out so much, or her later conversation with Viola, but at least its more personality than we normally get from family of a Gym Leader (though she has appeared in more episodes than most anyway already).

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash is going to at least one gym leader, perhaps it's best that happens now because he'll realize you can not run into a gym guns blazing and expect to earn a badge, some of you have even admitted to this.

On the subject of the battlefield, yes Pikachu has faught on Ice before, however in every case (including the rediculious Regice battle) there were ice pillars and other effects for Pikachu to use to gain momentum, no such luck here this was a solid sheet of ice with nothing like that, Pikachu also couldn't control it's electricity correctly either due to the ice causing it to slip, thus the ice beam was powerful enough to cause an explosion knocking him down enough for Viola to go in for the kill with Signal Beam.

I remember a lot of Ash's past gym victories stemming from him getting in one maybe two hits when a pokemon's guard was dropped, that's exactly what happened here only in reverse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aura7541

On the subject of the battlefield, yes Pikachu has faught on Ice before, however in every case (including the rediculious Regice battle) there were ice pillars and other effects for Pikachu to use to gain momentum, no such luck here this was a solid sheet of ice with nothing like that, Pikachu also couldn't control it's electricity correctly either due to the ice causing it to slip, thus the ice beam was powerful enough to cause an explosion knocking him down enough for Viola to go in for the kill with Signal Beam.

That's a very good point there and it makes Viola's strategy even more deadly than I thought. Yeah, Pikachu's power inconsistencies are still kinda there, but at least this is the least inconsistent of them all. Surskit did hit Pikachu [indirectly] with ice beam and then hit him square on with signal beam, which is one of the most powerful bug-type attacks.

Although I don't like seeing Ash lose to the first gym leader of the region, I rather have that than having to see mediocre performances in all 8 gyms (*cough* BW *cough*). Ash took the loss heavily and it's very likely for the rest of XY, he'll not take on the other 7 gyms unprepared.

RickHoenn

Banned
When your first Gym fight ends up in your defeat, you should feel bad. Ash was just lucky he didn't lose against the Striaton Triplets to angst about it like he did here.

Ash lost to Roark and he got top 4 in the Sinnoh League (his highest rank yet).

Or did you purposely forgot his humiliating defeat at Oreburgh Gym? How that saga turned for Ash?

I thought Serebii, a place where people are more "rational" about how the Pokémon anime works, were going to be less complains, wow.

lv. 100 Pikachu, are people really saying this? I didn't know this was Youtube.