• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Call for Brotherly Love! (719)

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Cilan's Pansage learns Rock Tomb offscreen: a-ok.

Iris's Emolga learns to battle without Volt Switch when it has to: ASFDDJBG,KBNNBHHHHMMVDSFGBNHHHHH MARY SUE MARY SUE KILL IT

Other than that, while I find this episode quite boring, I won't complain too much because it was clearly fanservice aimed at people who like a character I don't. The one thing I don't get is how Chili winning the second fight is necessarily good for his development... if he would have lost again, he could have learned a better lesson about how to get stronger. All the dumping on Oshawott lately is kind of strange too, unless it's leading up to a surprise in the Clay battle.

In the end, though, aside from fanservice, what was the need of this episode really? Chili's development is not going to be relevant to much in the end. I mean, if the episode was about Pansage learning Rock Tomb, at least it would have relevance to the main cast. It's not that there's anything wrong with a fanservice episode once in a while, but I just want to know if there was something I missed in this episode's core.

Nope it wasn't fanservice at all, it was development for Dent and his brother(even though his brother isn't a main character), people were saying that Pod was always losing, the writers aknowledging that and making an episode about it while developing on Dent objective was a great idea, I didn't see any trace of fanservice it was a very objective episode.

Arcamenel

Shiny Hunter
I love me some Oshawott and I'm not upset he lost. They pretty much set it up that way so I don't see how anyone could be upset about that. He put up a great fight.

I liked this episode overall even though there was a whole lot of talking that I could've just done without.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Nope it wasn't fanservice at all, it was development for Dent and his brother(even though his brother isn't a main character), people were saying that Pod was always losing, the writers aknowledging that and making an episode about it while developing on Dent objective was a great idea, I didn't see any trace of fanservice it was a very objective episode.

If Cilan's goal was actually the focus of the episode, then I would agree with you. But, it was merely a supplement to the main story, which was about Chili.

You're really answering your own question when it comes to why I think this was fanservice - the episode was entirely focused on the sibling of the main character with the most intense fanbase, was created because of a plot point you recognize has been sustained by said fans, and ended with the fan-favorite character's sibling winning an improbable and largely pointless victory against the actual main character. That adds up to look like quite the proverbial wet dream for a fan of him.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
You're really answering your own question when it comes to why I think this was fanservice - the episode was entirely focused on the sibling of the main character with the most intense fanbase, was created because of a plot point you recognize has been sustained by said fans, and ended with the fan-favorite character's sibling winning an improbable and largely pointless victory against the actual main character. That adds up to look like quite the proverbial wet dream for a fan of him.

First, you could say that they were forshadowing this episode since BW010.

Anyways, it did help Dento either way (teaching others is a great way to learn and get better. Sure, we didn't learn anything about his past but that can be for another time). I don't get how this is a "fanservice" episode at all. If that's the case they should have given us pics of Dento and Pod shirtless while they were at it. Dento/Pod/Corn are part of a trio and it's great that all three of them got to interact.

In my opinion, Dento's goal is completely different from Ash and Iris's. From how they learn from experience (by losing) isn't how Sommeliers would grow and progress at all. Sure they might battle once in a while, but that's not really how grow. If anything, battling for Sommeliers is strengthening their bond with their Pokemon, not improving their "tastings" (evaluations).

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
If Cilan's goal was actually the focus of the episode, then I would agree with you. But, it was merely a supplement to the main story, which was about Chili.

Still brother or not, the episode was made also to showcase his skills as a sommelier and even Satoshi seemed to picked something from the diferent typing moves advice and I hope he does something with it in the future.

Well I don't know how intense they are, I know poke_maniac is but I don't know how big it is in Japan, I would assume it is due to the VA and all, I don't think anything was pointless episode though like I said like it or not it expanded on him, dang we almost ddidnt even have Dent doing is shenanigans like he does in his "hobby" episodes, I seriously think this episode wasn't fanservice, if the fanservice is just bringing back a character and make an actualy good plot with it sure.

I dont know if you remember but people have said for ages that Pod was losing and losing and losing, some users actually suggested he would appear and win something, the writers apparently were also noticing that and actually gave him a cool episode to give his confidence back and give him a win.

I though the plot and the episode was well thoguh and I don't think it was driven by any fanservice demands, like I said after him losing repeatedly and seeing this episode, I am assuming the writers though of doing this from the start.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-Today, Ash is having Tepig, Snivy, and Pikachu do some target practice. I like how they're going out of their way to show Ash actively training these days.
-Oh look, it's Chili! Dento is understandably confused about why he's in Driftveil, but apparently Chili's set off on his own journey. But more importantly, Chili challenges Dento to a battle!
-Aw, Pansage and Pansear are buddies. :3
-When the hell did Pansage learn Rock Tomb?
-Unsurprisingly, SHOOT FIRE AT THINGS UNTIL THEY DIE doesn't do so well against actual strategy. And even less surprisingly, Ash is a bad referree.
-Then Pansear gets mad at Chili, but it's impossible for me to take it seriously because of its little monkey voice.
-Pansear ends up running off, and Chili's too stubborn to go apologize. Shortly afterward, Dento calls Cress, and...it turns out Chili was lying about why he wasn't at the gym! He ran away without a word after Cress said "well you could get better at battling by changing your style" to him after his losing streak got him down. Looks like someone can't handle constructive criticism.
-Chili is eating his stress away. With donuts. A lot of donuts. Everyone cheers him up a bit, and they go off to find Pansear. Which is eating its stress away. With apples.
-Apparently Chili has a dream of opening up Unova's first fire gym. Way to say he doesn't care much about the gym he's part owner of now!
-Once everyone's happy again, Dento evaluates Chili and Pansear...and notes a big problem. Pansear only knows fire moves! But teaching it Solarbeam will help with that problem, *and* help it against Water types.
-Then we get a delightfully hippie moment as everyone stands with their arms outstreched and appreciates the sun.
-Chili decides to fight Ash to test out Pansear's new attack, and Oshawott volunteers itself to battle for Ash. And Chili's first command is...Fire Blast. (which is deflected with Water Gun) Then Fire Punch. (which is repelled with Razor Shell) This is why Dento was telling you to branch out your moves a bit, dude.
-Of course, Chili wins the instant he commands Solar Beam.

Pretty good episode, though it's definitely one I'd appreciate more if I could understand everything that's said. Although the episode focused on Chili, we did learn a thing or two about Cilan; if nothing else, it was nice to see exactly what he's getting out of traveling with Ash(he's learning balance from him!).

But less importantly, posts on another forum taught me that all three Striaton gym brothers have slightly different pant lengths. I'm impressed that someone decided to put that detail in, and more impressed(...but in a rather different way) that anyone actually noticed it(I sure as hell didn't until it was pointed out to me).

But where do we draw the line between fanservice and "an episode starring a character I don't like, which has some events I didn't like"? Was the A-glider episode fanservice for Charles fans? Was the Iris/Deino episode fanservice for Iris fans(at least the ones who didn't care whether or not she got Deino)? Was the Meowth mini-arc fanservice for Meowth fans? Is (insert pretty much any episode focusing on Oshawott) fanservice for Oshawott fans?

And even if it is fanservice, I don't see how that's automatically a bad thing. Then again, I don't really dislike any of the characters in BW, so maybe it's different if you actively hate Cilan/Iris/whoever.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
But less importantly, posts on another forum taught me that all three Striaton gym brothers have slightly different pant lengths. I'm impressed that someone decided to put that detail in, and more impressed(...but in a rather different way) that anyone actually noticed it(I sure as hell didn't until it was pointed out to me).

Hehehe ^^; I noticed this before. I agree with that, I was surprised that the animators got that down. I mean, something as insignificant as their PANT LENGTHS is pretty amazing. I know that their shoes are all different as well, but that's a little more noticeable.

Champion Jared 14

Disappointed that Cilan's pokemon have been displayed yet again learning moves off screen...but then people will justify this by saying that he has been doing a lot of off screen training, doing a lot of "connoisseur talk". Especially with Pansage, who is his signature pokemon, people will say that Cilan's pre-existing history as a gym leader as well as his past experience with Pansage, is enough to justify learning these moves off screen and so quickly.

I feel as if people are being mislead by an illusion of how Cilan's skills are displayed. Ash is a trainer who acts primarily out of instinct. There's no specific way how Ash structures his training. His style is very free-spirited and unrestrained. Cilan is the exact opposite of that. He uses his knowledge as a connoisseur to evaluate the relationship between a trainer and their pokemon. Using that skill, he makes well-thought-out and organized decisions on how to act in a battle.

In this episode, Cilan talks about balance and what not, and he has his pansage use rock type attacks to fight against Chilli's Pansear. Also, using Pansage against Pansear put Cilan at a type disadvatage, a situation that Ash has also been in. Using super effective attacks for a pokemon who has a type disadvantage to promote his idea of "balance" and how "type isn't everything" suggest that from all of Cilan's observations, he's perfectly adopted Ash's approach to battling with no difficulty at all.

It's just another attempt to avoid giving Cilan proper, rudimentary character development seeing as how Pansage displayed no kind of difficulties learning the move or disadvantage on screen, nor have any of his pokemon showed any signs of struggle for adopting this new approach to battling. A shame that the writers felt that this was the best way for Cilan's pokemon to improve without directly forcing Cilan himself into a situation where his pokemon would desperately need the improvement.

Once again, Cilan is potrayed as being the expert and everyone else around him must learn under his instruction and guidance.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Something's that annoyed me were...

1. Pansear knew Dig back then in BW005 why was that replaced? Dumb Chili.
2. Why couldn't Oshawott deflect Solarbeam like he did with Cilan's Pansage... now that gym seems even plot power driven then before.

i cant wait for this episode :3
i know that emmet and ingo are airing this week i think
but when does this one air in usa?

pokeaussie37

i cant wait for this episode :3
i know that emmet and ingo are airing this week i think
but when does this one air in usa?

The dub of this episode probably won't show for at least three months, given that the dub is about 13 episodes behind Japan right now. That gap's about to increase since the Subway episodes are airing separately in the dub, whilst they were aired as a one-hour special in the raw iirc. Either way, we are unusually close in terms of when the episodes are airing.

The Beartic episode is the one airing this weekend.

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Only 13 episodes? Damn, TPCI is fast.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Ok the writers suck for not making Pansage be out 24/7 like Pikachu and Kibago :(. Pansage was adorable this episode and it was really nice seeing him out for almost the whole episode.

Also lol at Chili forgetting that Pansear knows Dig -____-.

Honestly Mijumaru deserved to lose. Until he learns not to pop out of his poke ball when he isn't wanted, he deserves to lose.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Ok the writers suck for not making Pansage be out 24/7 like Pikachu and Kibago :(. Pansage was adorable this episode and it was really nice seeing him out for almost the whole episode.

Also lol at Chili forgetting that Pansear knows Dig -____-.

Honestly Mijumaru deserved to lose. Until he learns not to pop out of his poke ball when he isn't wanted, he deserves to lose.

Except he didn't.

Pansear doesn't know Dig anymore.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Dent: "Open the door to your heart like this~"
Pod: "Alright Baoppu let's try this!"
Dent: "Can you hear the voice of the grass and trees?~"
Pod: "Like we can hear those." >.>
Dent: "If you open your heart, you should be able to hear them.~"
Iris: "I think I heard something."
Ash: "Me too."
Pod: "Oh, I think I'm starting to hear it too. Somehow, it's a very soft and kind voice."

X333333 JUST LIKE DENTO'S VOICE!!! <333

This episode is just so cute. The brotherly love was adorable.....X3

Also this episode said everything. One part made me laugh, Dento mentioned about how he loved everything about "balance" but he began to learn that their was more to battling than just balance. The "balance" made me think of "symmetry." XDDD

And another thing:

Pod said:
Show me the results of your studying. Or is it possible that you have completely forgotten your goal to master the art of a Pokemon Sommelier and have been playing around instead?

I'd say he's............half right. :D

EDIT: Wait! Can I mention one more thing?

Pod relies heavily on attacking, Corn relies heavily on defense (as seen in his battling with Ash), Dento is a mix between the two. More so than that even, Pod's hair goes straight up, Corn's hair goes straight down. Dento's hair goes both up and down. Red and Blue are both primary colors, where as green is a secondary color. :D

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Red and Blue are both primary colors, where as green is a secondary color. :D

Actually green is a primary color used for TV and computer screens and most computer art programs; in these, yellow is a secondary color instead. Just sayin'.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Actually green is a primary color used for TV and computer screens and most computer art programs; in these, yellow is a secondary color instead. Just sayin'.

I don't think you understand what secondary and primary colors mean.

The primary colors are blue, red, and yellow
Green is a secondary color as in it is made by combining blue and yellow.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I don't think you understand what secondary and primary colors mean.

The primary colors are blue, red, and yellow
Green is a secondary color as in it is made by combining blue and yellow.

Not when it comes to light.

But 00poke's got an interesting point. Well, save for the part about hair because I've always thought Dento's was cut too short to tell except the tuft at the front, but other than that.

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Not when it comes to light.

But 00poke's got an interesting point. Well, save for the part about hair because I've always thought Dento's was cut too short to tell except the tuft at the front, but other than that.

I forgot about light. XDD But I was talking about it in an art sense. Secondary colors are when you mix two primary colors, tertiary colors are when you mix two secondary colors (I believe xD)

*Dento's got a tuft of hair going down too if you look at him from behind.

[IMG139]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/00poke_maniac/Tsktsktsk.png[/IMG139]