• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Call for Brotherly Love! (719)

I thought this episode was good. It shows that gym leaders get annoy of losing to many trainers day after day. It's good that Pansear learn how to use Solarbeam but Chilli should really teach it some ground-type attacks as well.

But I thought Grass types can learn Solarbeam. Pansear can't learn Solarbeam he's a fire type.

gliscor&yanmega

But I thought Grass types can learn Solarbeam. Pansear can't learn Solarbeam he's a fire type.

What exactly do you mean? I'm not sure what your post has to do with Blaziryu's.

But the moves a Pokemon can learn doesn't necessarily matter when it comes to their type. While most Pokemon have more moves that are the same as their type, nearly every Pokemon can learn moves that aren't of their type. Pansear as such, can learn SolarBeam in the game.

Battra

Very nice episode really did a good job of showing off what Cilan learned up to this point on his journey, also loved seeing Pansear learn Solarbeam, but this brings up a question on who decides which move is forgotten the Trainer or the Pokemon.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Dig isn't all that important. I rather Solor Beam too because of the power compared to the other.

Well yeah I know. I was just pointing out how Chili, trying to help his Gym Leader record, got rid of a move that super effective against a foe type. XDDDD It's something I could picture him doing anyway. XDD

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I really liked this episode; what a good addition to showcasing more of Chili himself with his personality. We don't get a lot of these gym leader episodes, so it's good to have some spotlight of Cilan's brothers.

Not too bad of an episode, but not one of my greatest favorites. 7/10

Also, did no body catch Iris not saying "What a Kid!" to Ash this episode? Finally, no long going streak of that line.

Last edited:

usernames

It was alright. Not the best episode ever, but good for a time killer.

I think Chilli should make Pansear learn dig. Solar beam is great, but it's not great for avoiding water attacks, something dig is.
If you watched the dub version, you would know why. I mean, Cilan DID tell Iris when she asked why he didn't suggest a defensive move.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
I really liked this episode; what a good addition to showcasing more of Chili himself with his personality. We don't get a lot of these gym leader episodes, so it's good to have some spotlight of Cilan's brothers.

Not too bad of an episode, but not one of my greatest favorites. 7/10

Also, did no body catch Iris not saying "What a Kid!" to Ash this episode? Finally, no long going streak of that line.

I didn't catch it because I don't usually pay much attention to that anyway.

ForgottenPearl

This was an okay episode, though nothing too special. The animation was pretty off at times.

Let's see... It was amusing to see Ash ref a battle, and to hear Iris tell him to stop being a cheerleader. He's such a kid. :D

Fire trainers sure like being mean to their Pokemon... Tepig's trainer, Charmander's trainer... And now Chili. Not that Chili was anywhere near as mean: it was cute to see him make up with Pansear. But it just seems like fire type Pokemon can be pretty unlucky in the anime. It was amusing when Iris pointed out that Chili had a "short fuse": very punny. Oh, and Chili had to have been really mad for a long time if he made it all the way to this city. Such a kid.

I thought it was pretty obvious Chili needed something other than a fire-type move for Pansear. Very obvious. What gym leader wouldn't be able to figure out basic type coverage? Anyway, I'm the proud owner of a solarbeam-enabled Ninetails, so I was amused to see Pansear learn it. I also liked the training montage he went through. (Never did explain why a Pokemon suddenly forgets one move once it learns another, though.)

When the gang had their arms stretched out, eyes closed, leaning back in the sun, I was waiting for someone to come by and ask if they're in a cult or something. But I guess that isn't Pokemon-style humor.

And I knew Chili had to win the last battle for the sake of the story, but I was surprised Ash and Oshawott didn't even try reflecting the beam like they did back at the gym.

Overall, I liked how we got to know Cilan and his bros a little better. It was a good episode, though nothing jumped out at me too much.

Last edited:

Swagsire

Is it just me or did Rock Tomb come out of the blue.. I dont remember it. Anyways, it was nice seeing the secret lives of gym leaders, and of course, Striation IS my favorite, so a reappearance is GREAT Qwaa! ;195;

Janovy

Banned

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
^ Well technically, Rock Tomb didn't come out of no where. That's physically impossible, it came from the same place Pansage uses his other attacks.

---

Rewatched this one. <3 Pod and Corn reminded me of the Hitachiin twins...XDDD This episode is one of the more deeper episodes for Dento, which was nice. It was also sweet of him to comment at the end that it wasn't just about doing his job as a "Pokemon Sommelier" but instead it just came natural to help him out because he's his brother. :3

wobbanut

Team Awesome
This was a really good Cilan episode, and I liked that he helped his brother improve his battling and taught him what he was doing wrong. I liked the part when they noted that Chili and his pansear act a lot alike. LOL

9/10

Canada

Banned
Ugh lame episode again. The only somewhat good thing about it was Pansage's new move Rock Tomb. But he could have easily learned it in a less boring episode where Oshawott doesn't get beaten to a pulp./