• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Call for Brotherly Love! (719)

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It was nice to see Chilli again. I loved how Chilli and Pansear both have similar personalities.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Loved this episode. I really liked Chili's hot headed, short fuse personality. In real life, I'd find someone like that to be really obnoxious, but for whatever reason I found Chili's personality to be really... cute. :3 Guess I just really like him (and all the Striaton leaders for that matter).
Also liked how Chili was eating a whole bunch of donuts after running away from Ash & co. Oh, and the fact that he and Pansear share so many characteristics was pretty cool, too.

SpoinkyPearl

Since the first Pokémon episode I had seen for a long, long time was one featuring Bianca and Elesa, I hadn't seen other Striaton City Gym leaders before so that way I enjoyed this episode. It was rather funny how Chili and Pansear were so alike and it was also nice to see Cilan doing his routine as Pokémon Connoisseur. I hadn't seen that before as well and I don't really even understand what being Pokémon Connoisseur means but after this episode I kinda get it better (and, the word "connoisseur" was also unfamiliar to me but now I checked and they have translated it literally in the Finnish dub and it sounded kinda strange). Cress' voice was also a bit weird in the Finnish dub but I can live with that since he only appeared for a short time. It was also like how the episode focused on the relationship between the brothers and also Chili and his Pansear. And it was also funny to see Ash as judge :D Anyway, it was a pretty good episode but I'm already waiting the battle with Clay and the awakening of the weather trio!

NPT

Just a member
This was an OK episode .... It's good to see Cilan helping his brother Chili so he could get better at battling.

Pansear learning Solarbeam was nice and all, but I didn't like how Ash lost to Chill. First losing to the newbie dragon trainer, then losing to Iris in the Club battle tournament, then losing Bianca's dad... and now this. Gosh, the writers made him such a punching bag in this series.

Does anyone know how much original music was kept in by TPCI in this episode?

TPCI kept 7 out of 15 pieces.
  • BW Title Card music
  • The piece right before Cilan and Chili's battle.
  • B/W Gym Leader Battle Theme
  • Cilan's Theme
  • Unova Route 6
  • Ash's BW theme
  • B/W Gym theme

Last edited:

Sprinter1988

Saw this episode again today and it was quite strange to see it now that the BW series is finished in Japan and nearly over elsewhere.

One thing that really struck me was what Cilan says when he is trying to convince Chili to learn a new move. He says that Chili's Pansear knows Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Fire Punch and Flame Charge, all of which rely on STAB (ok, he doesn't mention STAB, but that is the essence of his agument - a fire type that knows nothing other than fire type moves). He then goes on to suggest having Pansear learn Solar Beam in order to counter Pansear's weakness to water - countering your pokemon's weakness.

Cilan then, for some inexplicable reason, goes on to state that he learned to think this way from travelling with Ash and watching him battle. But at that point in time, none of Ash's Unova pokemon knew moves that would be effective against a type they were weak to and, aside from a few knowing Tackle, only Pikachu, Roggenrola and Scraggy had any moves that were not STAB related. Even at the end of the series Ash's pokemon still show this flaw, with only Krookodile, Boldore and Palpitoad really being exempt (Pikachu and Chaizard should proably count to, I suppose, but then they always were that way)- aside from Tackle all of Oshawott's moves were water type, Pignite's moves were fire and fighting, Snivy's were grass, Scraggy's were fighting (with the exception of Headbutt), Unfezant's were normal and flying and Leavanny's were bug and grass.
Even when it comes to moves for use against pokemon you are weak to, only Krookodile, Boldore and Palpitoad do this - Krookodile with Aerial Ace for fighting and bug types, Boldore with Rock Smash for steel types and Palpitoad with Sludge Wave for grass types. The rest don't stand a chance when faced with a type they are weak to.

The only way in which what Cilan says he learned from Ash makes any sense is if what he leaned from Ash was "what not to do".

Anyway, rant over. I just thought Cilan's comment was weird.

It might just be me. but It kind of defeats the purpose of being called the Trip Badge if only 1 or 2 of the gym leaders are at the gym at any given time.

....I don't like Pansear or its evolution. Chili is also my least favorite of the Striaton City gym leaders.

I find it odd that the writers gave development to Chili just because he lost some off-screen battles. There are more relevant characters that could have used it instead (Trip, Bianca and Burgundy especially). Chili is old news.

The only relevant thing this episode does IMO is make Oshawott look bad.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well Chili has always been my favourite Striaton sibling, so I was happy to see him show up in Driftveil. Chili was so cute when he was eating donuts and I almost expected his Pansear to evolve. :]

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was pleased to see Dent's brother Pod show up in Hodomoe City, although it's too bad that Corn didn't leave the Sanyou Gym to complete the trio. Pod battling Satoshi to make his Baoppu stronger was all well and good until Mijumaru lost again. What was up with Mijumaru losing to Fire-types constantly?

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Lame episode again. The only somewhat good thing about it was Pansage's new move Rock Tomb. But he could have easily learned it in a less boring episode where Oshawott doesn't get beaten to a pulp.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I'm amazed Chili became a Gym Leader in the first place with that kind of attitude, but it was so much fun to watch him improve with Cilan's advice. For once, I don't even mind that Ash lost.

I don't get it. Chili is a gym leader. It's his job to test trainers, not go all out and beat them, shouldn't he be happy when the challengers win? I agree his attitude seemed odd for a gym leader. I do think it was unnecessary to have Ash lose a battle to Chili, but it was due to Oshawott being hit with Solarbeam so it was acceptable.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't get it. Chili is a gym leader. It's his job to test trainers, not go all out and beat them, shouldn't he be happy when the challengers win?

Gym Leaders can get discouraged if they lose too much though, as seen with Sumomo in Shinou. So Pod's angst here made sense, I just didn't think this episode was needed during the Hodomoe City arc.

It was surprising to see Chili come out of nowhere like that. I liked the way Pansear and Pansage greeted each other before the battle started. I wasn't too surprised that Cress said that Chili ran away from home. His reaction to his defeat from Clian made it clear that he wasn't on a journey like he claimed he was. I didn't like how Cilan and Pansage won without taking a single hit and to add insult to injury, pulled Rock Tomb out of nowhere.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
I didn't like how Cilan and Pansage won without taking a single hit and to add insult to injury, pulled Rock Tomb out of nowhere.

It's also somewhat ironic how Dent won in spite of Pod's depression over having lost before. You'd think that Pod winning would've made more sense, just to boost his morale.

Scorbunnie

I wasn't expecting Pansage to know the move Rock Tomb all of a sudden but I thought he was great seeing Chili and his Pansear again. Didn't feel too good about Ash's Oshawott losing to Pansear because he should have had the type advantage here. His losses keep piling up and it's maddening

Nice Rocky reference!!!!
Oshawott's loss to Solar Beam was to be expected. I know he's one of Ash's weakest Pokémon but I hate seeing him lose especially because he's my favorite Ash Pokémon. PLEASE GET A WIN AGAINST CLAY
Ash's Pokémon are water types and are totally weak to fire types strikes again!!!!! It's a curse at this point

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
legit one of my all time favorite episodes

most definitely making an aspect of my Unova story about this
Chili is adorable fight me

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
leaving this here:
So, I got around to watching this ep. This will be the last round of cute boys doing cute things.

-Boo!

-So Chili cares about his academics after all? Huh.

-HIS SMILE OH DEAR GOD HIS SMILE!!!!!!

-Roasted.

-Arguing with a monkey!

-Chili’s relatable. Constantly blaming himself and not wanting to be a burden to others, while simultaneously being impulsive and not having a filter.

In other words, me.

-Is this an Omertashipping moment?

PROBABLY NOT, BUT IT IS NOW!

-“In other words, it’s your fault.” —Cress

-Rejected again. Poor lad can’t take criticism from anyone.

Also relatable.

-Ash doesn’t understand how sibling dynamics work!

-“I’M TRYING TO DROWN MY SORROWS IN SUGAR AND CAFFEINE, LADY!”

-that’s it

i’m dead

i’ve contracted diabetes and am no longer able to function

he’s too adorable

-“It’s Cress’ fault!”

“He was just worrying about you!”

“Shut it!”

-Iris, Iris, Iris…

-DO IT FOR CRESSIE

-the feels, bro, the feels

-Jessie and James appear, only to never be seen for the remainder of the episode. I’d have written it so that Jessie and James attempt to sabotage Chili and Cilan’s training, causing Chili to get pissed:

“What’s that? You wanna fight? Ha! I know I can beat ya with mah own two hands, there’s no other way of putting it!”
-The moral support monkeys are back on another adventure!

-“If you turn your rage into power…”

COME TO THE DARK SIDE, WE HAVE DONUTS

-Imagine not knowing the importance of a versatile moveset! Eh, at least it has STAB.

-This is exactly how I approach battling. Hit fast, hit hard, and be sure to be at least ten levels ahead of your opponent. It’s true that none of my Pokémon have status moves. I plan to keep it that way.

-“Can you hear the nature?”

“Nah, bro. Did that kid Ash put meth in your coffee or somethin’? What’s up with ya?”

-Gods, he’s so energetic, it’s precious.

-Wait, why did Jessie and James appear for 15 seconds, only to not show up for the remainder of the episode?

-“Cil? Be sure to come back soon, aight? Sucks not having ya around. I’ll see ya never!” With that, Chili ran off to catch his train.

99Yli62.jpg
oGJHRVW.jpg
o0z4PFn.jpg
lnl6GCG.jpg
DshCjR5.jpg
YG0nBCN.jpg
d3FaRc7.jpg
SwyR3kp.jpg
O90s5lZ.jpg
wpqNQmA.jpg

GCqrQOI.jpg