• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Crasher Course in Power (551)

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
Well, I hope we don't see Buizel for a while. I'm sick of it.

Marowaker

I agree. And Turtwig definitely should have had a bigger role in this one, especially since he has hardly been seen since Eterna.

Dax

Legend
Even though I don't like Turtwig it's kinda sad it had such a small role in the episode compared to Pikachu and Buizel.

It's kinda like Chimchar in the Veilstone Gym but better because Turtwig was not defeated and Chimchar was.

uber gon

Accept Change
Well, so much for Buizel being weak. I hope now people will quit complaining about Buizel's so-called losing streak and Ash not being able to defeat the gym leader first time around.

Heh, wonder how powerful Buizel will be once it evolves.:)

ZgonDuck

Like A Boss
And the irony is that they are both starters, and got neglected in their respective gym battles. And they were both upstaged by Buizel.

The only starter out of Buizel's reach is Piplup, and it still looked like crap because it got thrashed by Lucario and Buizel tied with it.

If it wanted to be the new Charizard, then its getting there fast.

Kazuki Mirai

Okay, who's doing the writing here? Because the gym battle feels a bit off. o_O

None of Ash's Poke faint and... it felt rushed. Pikachu defeated Gyarados with ease, I was expecting it to put a bit of a fight. And I hardly find it believable for Buizel to defeat a Quagsire with that Ice Missile Aqua Jet strategy especially in one hit.

Everyone is whining and complaining about Buizel getting the spotlight in two straight gyms, but I personally like it, and that has nothing to do from me being a Buizel fan or not (which for the record I am). It just shows that the writers are making things a little more realistic. Let's face it, if Pokemon was reality, you do whatever you can to win battles. There wouldn't really be a spotlight that was on different Poke every time. So, Buizel has been dominant and Ash uses him to win two badges in a row. Seems more of a reality to me.

I do however think Turtwig not even getting one win is a little odd. I predicted a long time ago that this gym might be when he evolves, but, that might not even be happening now. Either way, I expect Turtwig to have a big gym coming up, and Buizel probably sits the next one.

Ancax

I SWEAR a week ago that people were complaining at how weak Buizel was, not it's "the new Charizard".

WTF?

ANd in Some magazine, it was said that Ash would win multiple gyms in quick succession, so....

pokemaster95

King of pirates
Buizel just won its first real battle.Buizel finally got off his losing streak.

bigpop618

Dragon Trainer
I get this feeling, Idk why, that Buizel is gonna evolve Not long from now. Not just from the fact that he's been battling a LOT as of late, but have you noticed they emphasized on his arrogant attitude? Kinda reminded me of Treecko. Idk, its prolly just me.

Finally a legit sweep of a gym, This is proof that you don't need evolution to be strong.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
In an effort to debunk some greatly exaggerated rumors about how I have been too serial lately, I lay my reputation on the line with a referee analysis of the Pastoria battle, because honestly, the design of Wake’s dot-eyed referee may be the biggest disappointment in all of disappointmenthood.

In the red corner:
Name: “Smashin’ Ash” Ketchum
Age: 10, because characters in this anime don’t age no matter what anybody says
Weapon of Choice: Friendship
Motto: “I fight for my friends.”

In the blue corner:
Name: Joe “Crasher Wake” Schmoe
Weapon of Choice: His glorious muscles
Motto: “Hello, little man. I WILL DESTROY YOU!”

LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!

Round 1: Pikachu vs. Gyarados
- After a good zapping in its 7580293th appearance, Gyarados retaliates with some fire attack that I'm going to name "Dragon Fire Breath Thrower Rage Blast Beam".
- Pikachu Volt Tackes splat into Gyarados' face like a swatter to a fly, except this time, the swatter wins.

Round 2: Turtwig vs. Quagsire
- Quagsire dodges unidentifyable ball of energy.
- Turtwig shows off its uber platform game skills by jumping from pad to pad.
- Quagsire puts Turtwig on ice, kinda like the moonshine I just nabbed from my basement and poured in a glass.

Round 3: Buizel vs. Quagsire
- Anyone ever pick up on how Quagsire resembles Bloo from Foster's? It probably sucks at paddleball, too.
- Oh snap, that episode with Buizel's training and Zoey's broken angle wasn't completely useless!

Round 4: Buizel vs. Floatzel
- Flaotzel inflates it's sack, kinda like...actually, I'm not going to use that comparison.
- Buizel stares astonished at how large Floatzel's sack grew.
- Floatzel laughs at Water Pulse and fires glowing fin crescent thingies. Razor Wind or whatever.
- Flotzel begins glowing, kinda like nuclear waste. Radiation only makes it stronger!
- Revealing its vapire teeth, Floatzel uses Frostbite! Also known as its less pun-inspired name, Ice Fang.
- And...Buizel gets a case of Pink Eye. I'll spare you all the disgusting details.

Round 5: Pikachu vs. Floatzel
- It's raining electricity! Still not worse than it raining men.
- Stiff Motions + Ice Fang Stock Footage = Takeda's paycheck.

Round 6: Buizel vs. Floatzel - Take II
- Ice doesn't cause water to freeze. No, it causes EXPLOSIONS.
- Floatzel down and out. Kinda like a boozehound who got a little too hammered.

Closing comments:
Ash: “I won…the Fen Badge! Hey, what the **** is a “fen”, anyways? Isn’t it one of those giant spinny things on a windmill?”
Wake: “WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!”

Match verdict:
Fair battle in spite of Ash not losing a single Pokemon, but in terms of overall excitement, it was probably the weakest since the Battle Pike thanks to some unimpressive exhanges of attacks and lack of unique strategies, as well as the weakest battle animation-wise since Petalburg (which happens to be Takeda's last gym battle). Things started getting better by the time Floatzel started battling, but it lacked the punch that Veilstone delivered.

Last edited:

Konoko_Hasano

Ralts Line Samba
Maybe this gym battle wasn't exciting as the others, but it still served its purpose and had some entertainment to it.

On another note, I never knew Bouysel and Floatsel could inflate their float things...

And it was interesting how Buneary was in a cheerleader outfit to cheer for Pikachu. XD

Also, it did kind of seem like Turtwig's Energy Ball grazed Quagsire a little. Not much, but a little.

And Team Rocket's relaxation in the Great Marsh. It's always fun when we have an episode where they aren't trying anything evil, AND aren't even anywhere near Ash and co. And they didn't get blasted off and were able to enjoy a nice peaceful time... I'm so happy T_T.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great gym battle, just not as good as Veilstone.

You can really see what Takeda ain't good at: Background characters. Gligar, Ambipom, Chimchar all looked totally off.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
But Buizel hasn't been dominant in Ash's team. This is Buizel's first big win.

Agreed and after watching the episode i can say it was well worth it, Buizel did legitimently beat Floatsel by itself as pikachu never made contact with it, and did it in a realistic cool way as well, now let's just hope it takes a breather for a while and hopefully evolves up the road.

I knew though that the older pokemon Wake had wouldn't last too long, but Gyarados not withstanding(anything goes down to a head shot like that), quagsire should've lasted abit longer than it did, I mean come on, it gets barely grazed by Turtwig's energy ball and kicks it's butt around, takes two sonicbooms without flinching, but then one ice missle ko'es it? Quagsire my friend you got cheated.

All and all a good episode,Wake needs to calm down though, seriously everytime he speaks he screams, and while I do think Turtwig or Pikachu could've lost, it was alright in the end, though i do wonder about Wake's strength as a trainer compared to the previous three...

kpt25

Steel type trainer
Oh...so i wasn`t the only one who remembered Charizard at the beginning of the episode then...it was a decent gym battle,but less than a roller-coaster than the other ones(this one was pretty much a sweep)
Turtwig really needs a Gym to shine and evolve into Grotle,period...
Does anyone know which was the attack that Floatzel used with his arms?was it razor wind?i was able to recognize most of the attacks during the battle(if you want to watch it,search dodaitose on youtube...)
Floatzel had a nice attitude of the stronger pokemon...i was surprised that ash/satoshi didn`t give `twig a second
;418; says good bye to not-winning streak!
Can`t wait for DP 85(84 should be forgettable...)

PS:i really need sig and avi...

REAL EDIT:
In the previous Gym,Machoke and Meditite were pwned by Staravia...Lucario was(of course...OU and OR) the strongest,as it shut down the only pokemon that Ash could easily defeat him with(Chimchar)
and let`s not forget that
1st Gym:Ash loses because of he only had Aipom,Turtwig and Pika the first time...and Cranidos/Rampardos are just beasts because they hit really hard
2nd Gym:He won it at first try,it was a fair match

Last edited:

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
Yet in all technicality, Buizel never did have a losing streak to begin with.

Anyways, good episode overall and a good battle at that. No Team Rocket involvement = good. I hate sacrificing some 10 seconds during a gym battle to see what Team Rocket is up to, only to be blasted off a couple of seconds later. It's getting lame, so I'm happy about it this time. As for the battle itself, too much switching. Turtwig didn't get that much screentime, Pikachu and Buizel were great. It was also nice to see that Icy Aqua Jet again. And good job to Ash for having no fainted Pokemon and won at his try.