• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Crasher Course in Power (551)

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
Yet in all technicality, Buizel never did have a losing streak to begin with.

Anyways, good episode overall and a good battle at that. No Team Rocket involvement = good. I hate sacrificing some 10 seconds during a gym battle to see what Team Rocket is up to, only to be blasted off a couple of seconds later. It's getting lame, so I'm happy about it this time. As for the battle itself, too much switching. Turtwig didn't get that much screentime, Pikachu and Buizel were great. It was also nice to see that Icy Aqua Jet again. And good job to Ash for having no fainted Pokemon and won at his try.

TeddiUrsa

You can really see what Takeda ain't good at: Background characters. Gligar, Ambipom, Chimchar all looked totally off.

I ve got a question as well! Is Takeda good at anything? Animationwise?
Man, this gym wouldn´t be half bad if it wasn´t for the awful animation...great battles need style and smoothness and not stock footage and stiff-3-frame-pikachu-turning-around-animation...

Other than that, I really don´t like Turtwig´s speed-powers. It can run across walls now? What´s next? When will it learn to fly Shaymin-style?

Animation aside, the episode wasn´t that bad. I liked the last part of the battle against Flowsel, how Pikachu drilled itself into Gyarados´s head and Morlord ( what´s its name again? quag...si...re? funny americans :p ) getting screentime. It just didn´t feel epic like the 3rd gym. I know some Ash-fans will say that this episode was cool because of Ash winning without a loss on his side...but...really, this episode wasn´t this exciting.

I hope we´ll see Wake again. He is a very funny and interesting character but he needs to do more...

btw, is it really okay to use the recall feature to avoid your pokemon getting hit? In the games you can do the same, but the attack will hit your other pokemon instead. Maybe I am scratching the bottom of the barrel with this, but...nya,...I like to complain.

Milkyway

The ep wasn't mind-blowing, but it served its purpose. Little details really made me like it.

Also did anyone notice how buizel came up with that underwater sneak attack all on its own? (When Flowsel was chasing it in the water) I always like to see the Pokemon improvising for themselves when the trainers can't give them orders. Tho this is null and void if Ash did tell him to do it X3; I can't understand japanesey.

mystkmastkal

was it just me or did none of wake's pokemon use brine?

In the past 3 gyms at least one of the pokemon used there gym leaders signature TM move.

Roark- Onix (i think can't remember)- stealth rock
Gardenia- Roserade - grass knot
Maylene- meditite - drain punch

why did they stop?

thunderblade12

they also stopped giving gym leaders 4 episodes each apperently.

im not really surprised ash won without loosing a single pokemon. according to someone on this forum(i dont remember who) there was a magazine a while back that said dawn and ash where gonna breeze through their contests/gym battles this year.

Dax

Legend
I don't feel like nitpicking but Staravia's hair was awfully long in this episode. I might ask for the hair pills the bird is using because I'm losing mine.

Gligar looked totally off... like horrible. Seriously, it just looked weird with the wide and big head and the small body plus the eyes.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
It maybe Just me, but besides the Horribble Animation I'm really happy with this episode. I mean Not one KO for Ash's side, and pretty much Buizel has shown itself to be a real battler, Maybe Ash doesnt suck so bad after all?

thunderblade12

I don't feel like nitpicking but Staravia's hair was awfully long in this episode. I might ask for the hair pills the bird is using because I'm losing mine.

Gligar looked totally off... like horrible. Seriously, it just looked weird with the wide and big head and the small body plus the eyes.

yeah, i noticed that too. gligar sorta looked like a stroke victim and quagsire just..disturbed me

It maybe Just me, but besides the Horribble Animation I'm really happy with this episode. I mean Not one KO for Ash's side, and pretty much Buizel has shown itself to be a real battler, Maybe Ash doesnt suck so bad after all?

agreed. buizels cool and all, but i think it should take a backseat to chimchar, gligar, and staravia for now

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
I'm curious about two things in regards to animation directors - whether or not they're all paid the same rate and whether these duds like Takeda and the like actually pay attention to the work of their superior colleagues. Maybe they'd actually learn something.
I hope we´ll see Wake again. He is a very funny and interesting character but he needs to do more...
I touched upon this in the speculation thread. The fact that they're rushing things a bit before the movie comes out unfortunately leaves Wake with only half the episodes that the previous 3 leaders had, so here's hoping they pull a Gardenia and bring him back for a future appearance. He's portrayed as a wacky enough character that they could really do some entertaining things with him.
btw, is it really okay to use the recall feature to avoid your pokemon getting hit? In the games you can do the same, but the attack will hit your other pokemon instead. Maybe I am scratching the bottom of the barrel with this, but...nya,...I like to complain.
I think we also discussed this when Ash did the exact same thing with Turtwig in the Eterna Gym battle. On one hand, it's a good thing to get your Pokemon out of harm's way if the odds are stacked against them, but theoretically, you could keep spamming your Pokeball recall every time an attack is fired and go nowhere.

Ew... s: This episode was so not well done. As, like, many people said, the animation was extremely poor. D: I don't know how they pick their animators, but... why choose someone that sucks for, like, an important episode? What a waste.

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
I think we also discussed this when Ash did the exact same thing with Turtwig in the Eterna Gym battle. On one hand, it's a good thing to get your Pokemon out of harm's way if the odds are stacked against them, but theoretically, you could keep spamming your Pokeball recall every time an attack is fired and go nowhere.
They could theoretically do that, but the referee could call the challenger to be disqualified if he/she does.

Araleon

Chill
Does anyone know how Buizel reacted to Floatzel?

Is he like Pikachu and Bulbasaur?

Or, hopefully, not?

Araleon

Chill
"Bui~~~~"
Thats about it.

So it didn't seem oppossed to the idea of being one? Yay! Maybe Kingler won't be the only evolved Watr type Ash has...

I just watche the episode as well, and it wasn't the best Gym battle ever...

The best one this region is definitely Maylene.

I'm a little shocked at how fast Quagsire was taken down by Buizel after Ash withdrew Turtwig cuz of the Ice Beam. And then no more action, oh well. At least Buizel isn't on a losing streak any more.

Also, wow. The changes in people's opinions is fast. Buizel the next Charizard? No way. He respects Ash it seems, and I think he has bonded with him.

heatranran

I'm just happy that it wasn't a stupid, cliched, pikachu victory. On the other hand, turtwig and gligar seriously need some screentime.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'll agree with everyone else, the Gym battle was around average territory. Nothing too bad but nothing all that great either.

I did roll my eyes at yet another Pikachu Vs. Gyarados fight. Hey, go back and watch Claire's Gym in Johto, now THAT was a much better Pikachu Vs. Gyarados battle.

Is it just me or does Pikachu battle against Gyarados and Milotic more than any other water Pokemon?

P13

In the past 3 gyms at least one of the pokemon used there gym leaders signature TM move.

I touched upon this in the speculation thread. The fact that they're rushing things a bit before the movie comes out unfortunately leaves Wake with only half the episodes that the previous 3 leaders had, so here's hoping they pull a Gardenia and bring him back for a future appearance. He's portrayed as a wacky enough character that they could really do some entertaining things with him.

Maybe Wake will show up later to teach Ash's Buizel how to use Brine and kill two birds with one stone.

Or even better, he'll return along with Wallace and the two will battle to see who is the better Water Gym Leader. Wake would lose horribly of course, but it would be nice to see the difference between a Water Pokemon-user who excels in elegance against one who relies on brute strength. *Waits for the Misty fans to recommend demand she be included*:rolleyes:

But I guess if she had to come back that would be pretty interesting...

Isis-sama

I'm a little shocked at how fast Quagsire was taken down by Buizel after Ash withdrew Turtwig cuz of the Ice Beam. And then no more action, oh well. At least Buizel isn't on a losing streak any more.

Also, wow. The changes in people's opinions is fast. Buizel the next Charizard? No way. He respects Ash it seems, and I think he has bonded with him.

I agree; Buizel already seems closer to Ash than it ever was to Dawn.

And, although I do see their point, I can't help but chuckle at all the people who were whining about how Buizel was underused and never got to do anything back before it was traded to Ash, and now are whining about how Ash uses it all the time and it wins everything. Wasn't that what you wanted? The only reason that I sympathize at all is that Staravia, Chimchar and to a lesser extent Gligar have all gotten the same treatment and by and large have gotten no redemption like Buizel has. I really hope they do before their tenure on Ash's team is over.

Shiny Linoone

Coming and going
Decent Gym battle, but I found it odd that Dawn didn't put on her cheerleader outfit and cheer for Ash.

magicallypuzzled

buziel once again shows just how awesome he is but after showing such power i think it'd ba fairly rediculus if he doesn't evolve almost as soon as the 11 movie is over. seriously how can you be that powerful and not evolve? yes i know this is at odds with my earlier post of pokemon not needing to evolve call it a change of opinion. after watching this i loved buziel even more then i did but yeah i just got the unshakable feeling that if it didn't evolve it would be really weird and not very plosable. i expect it to evolve the next couple of episodes after the 11th movie.