• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Crasher Course in Power (551)

Somorio

Waiting for a hound.
hmm...did anyone notice when floatzel inflated his inner tube thing to that gigantic size that it looked like a pair of mega boobs.

yeah, i'll get my head out of the gutter now :p

uber gon

Accept Change

Dax

Legend
Constantly restarting and using rookie class pokemon that hardly develop(and by this i mean Evolution, i don't care about attack learning because it doesn't mean you get stronger, or how a pokemon acts) to win his battles will get him no where, cause it's like a infinite loop that never breaks, and just gets boring.

With the exception of a few Johto team members Ash's team always develop so I don't know where you got the idea that Ash's pokemon hardly develop. I can't even begin to describe the things wrong with saying learning an attack is not development.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
With the exception of a few Johto team members Ash's team always develop so I don't know where you got the idea that Ash's pokemon hardly develop. I can't even begin to describe the things wrong with saying learning an attack is not development.

Objection!
Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Corphish... nothing but examples for non-Johto Pokemon which haven´t developed yet either!

@ Dax and dman_dustin: Allmighty Zard totally hit the mark:

So blowing through the gyms like Paul did to Maylene means you fail?

Ok i know losing occasionally is a good thing, but while it may seem boring, having Ash do that for a gym run is the only real way to show his improvment as a trainer(not that it will likely ever happen since the writers are cowards when it comes to giving Ash power), and it would prove he would be capable of facing down and E4 squad as well, boring or not it's the only way i see him capable of becoming better long term.
Constantly restarting and using rookie class pokemon that hardly develop(and by this i mean Evolution, i don't care about attack learning because it doesn't mean you get stronger, or how a pokemon acts) to win his battles will get him no where, cause it's like a infinite loop that never breaks, and just gets boring.

Rampardo is also right, saying:
Yeah right, thats why he got Sceptile/Charizard/Snorlax

I´m not complaining about the amazing episode at all!!
I´m just wondering if such a flawless victory wouldn´t have been possible much sooner (and more frequently!!)

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
With the exception of a few Johto team members Ash's team always develop so I don't know where you got the idea that Ash's pokemon hardly develop.

I made my point clear dude, no need to repeat it.

I can't even begin to describe the things wrong with saying learning an attack is not development.

It doesn't increase the pokemon's strength though, I mean think about it, sure Staravia did learn and use brave bird on Maylene's first two pokemon,but it didn't ko them with the move alone, it hit Machoke with several other moves, and Meditite had been weakened by Chimchar, and look at what happened for using it too much, Lucario hit the feild and knocked the crud out of it instantly.

Also what was the point of Turtwig learning Energy Ball since by this point it does seem rather pointless to have done so, Reji's bibarel freaking BIT the ball into peices, and it wasn't exactly helpful against Crasher's quagsire either now was it?

Learning a move doesn't make one stronger, unless of course you do what Snorunt and Starly did and evolve while doing so.

We're getting way off topic dudes, let's just drop it and resort to using the PM thing if we want to discuss it further.

BlueDragonfangirl

This episode was good. It was sweet seeing Ash KO that gym leader in one round. That's what I'd like to see more of. Buziel was freakin awesome, he and Ash really do make a good pair.

BlueDragonfangirl

This episode was good. It was sweet seeing Ash KO that gym leader in one round. That's what I'd like to see more of. Buziel was freakin awesome, he and Ash really do make a good pair.

mew-the original

Binchsquatch
Eh, the gym battle seemed a bit rushed and poor Turtwig didn't even beat a single pokemon. But, hey Ash won on first try so theres not much to complain about. =)

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Other than that, I really don´t like Turtwig´s speed-powers. It can run across walls now? What´s next? When will it learn to fly Shaymin-style?

I didn't like that either, but I was laughing my ass off when the thing ended up barely doing shit the entire episode. XD It's made funnier by the fact that this is the last Gym Battle where Naetle will have any real advantage, with the final Gym being the one exception (Grass is resistant to Electric... plus, Electric is full-out weak against Ground, but like hell we'll be seeing a Dodaitose by that point).

I did roll my eyes at yet another Pikachu Vs. Gyarados fight. Hey, go back and watch Claire's Gym in Johto, now THAT was a much better Pikachu Vs. Gyarados battle.

Is it just me or does Pikachu battle against Gyarados and Milotic more than any other water Pokemon?

I will say this: it was nice to see Gyarados go down EXTREMELY quick-like, given all the years it's been played up to be this uber Pokemon. Even when its electricity weakness is brought up, it usually seems to last a while (I recall the battle against Ibuki's was like that, at least).

And you're right, he does seem to go up against those two a lot... that's pretty fucked up. But on the other hand, I guess the writers just constantly like to show large Pokemon getting taken down by the protagonists' smaller ones. Aside from Gyarados and Milocaros, need I remind you of the large amount of Haganeil we've been getting over the years? It probably also explains why Saidon has always been such a popular stock opponent with these guys (it amazes me that Dosaidon hasn't premiered at this point just so the writers can get into the habit of abusing it to no end). It's simply remarkable that an Iwark used to actually be on the good guys' team at one point (though being a Takeshi Pokemon, it saw usage once in a blue moon anyhow).

Round 4: Buizel vs. Floatzel
- Flaotzel inflates it's sack, kinda like...actually, I'm not going to use that comparison.
- Buizel stares astonished at how large Floatzel's sack grew.

oh, so Floatsel isn't based off of an otter at all. It's actually based off of the tanuki mythos. XD (BTW, Gravy was right... your post FTW)

But speaking of the Bouysel/Floatsel fight, am I the only one who has a gripe about Bouysel's win? Floatsel was shown to completely friggin' dominate its lesser form all throughout the first half of the match. Absolutely every effort by Bouysel was completely hopeless.... then Pikachu comes in (who doesn't accomplish much against Floatsel neither), it suddenly gets the idea "hey, I'll have him repeat that thing where he causes the edge of a platform to explode so I could use the dust as a smokescreen", and all the sudden, Floatsel goes down in a couple hits. Course, I'm always a bit over-analytical about these sorta things, but still, one loss on Satoshi's side couldn't have hurt (in fact, I think having a perfect win was kinda overkill... almost as bad as his straight win against Tessen, but that was at least justified). Well, I just hope Satoshi's Bouysel will still evolve after this (a common fear I have with evolution line confrontations: several cases usually have the lesser form "trying to prove they're strong enough as is"). After all, Bouysel seems to be a rough Shin'ou equivalent of his Kimori from AG (although not near as badass).

Because winning everything without losing any pokemon always will be pointless and boring. It doesn't show Ash's development and it will be extremely predictable to know he will always win not matter what.

technically, no. I mean, I'm pretty sure I can recall a ton of shounen action heroes who can breeze through a ton of battles easily and still be entertaining. As with a lot of things, it all comes down to execution, really. For instance, they could play it up for lolz, like we have a brief scene where a Gym Leader would act overly cocky, and then shit their pants upon witnessing Satoshi's strength and realizing they're completely screwed against him. Unfortunately, this is practically impossible when Pocket Monsters follows an episodic formula, so each Gym confrontation HAS to take up the span of at least one episode (I don't think many fans of the games would appreciate their favorite NPCs getting shafted out of screentime anyway).

Objection!

Corpish, Bulbasaur and Squirtle all developed.

to be fair, Heigani never really gained any new tricks its entire time on the show. No new attacks, no strategies for it to work with, nothing (and in terms of strength, they played it up to be a powerhouse the moment it failed to shake Satoshi's hand... not that this show ever had a good time portraying progressive growth in strength in the first place, no matter how much "training" there is). About the only noteworthy thing was the revelation that it works surprisingly good when it's confused (Drunken Master FTW XD), but that was a fluke more than anything (and about the only scenario where it was even slightly touched upon again was the battle against Lila's Foodin). I mean, there may've been some bits of characterization, but I don't know if his battling style developed in any way.

Somorio

Waiting for a hound.
I didn't like that either, but I was laughing my ass off when the thing ended up barely doing shit the entire episode. XD It's made funnier by the fact that this is the last Gym Battle where Naetle will have any real advantage, with the final Gym being the one exception (Grass is resistant to Electric... plus, Electric is full-out weak against Ground, but like hell we'll be seeing a Dodaitose by that point).

I will say this: it was nice to see Gyarados go down EXTREMELY quick-like, given all the years it's been played up to be this uber Pokemon. Even when its electricity weakness is brought up, it usually seems to last a while (I recall the battle against Ibuki's was like that, at least).

And you're right, he does seem to go up against those two a lot... that's pretty fucked up. But on the other hand, I guess the writers just constantly like to show large Pokemon getting taken down by the protagonists' smaller ones. Aside from Gyarados and Milocaros, need I remind you of the large amount of Haganeil we've been getting over the years? It probably also explains why Saidon has always been such a popular stock opponent with these guys (it amazes me that Dosaidon hasn't premiered at this point just so the writers can get into the habit of abusing it to no end). It's simply remarkable that an Iwark used to actually be on the good guys' team at one point (though being a Takeshi Pokemon, it saw usage once in a blue moon anyhow).

ahh, japanese overload X.X

But speaking of the Bouysel/Floatsel fight, am I the only one who has a gripe about Bouysel's win? Floatsel was shown to completely friggin' dominate its lesser form all throughout the first half of the match. Absolutely every effort by Bouysel was completely hopeless.... then Pikachu comes in (who doesn't accomplish much against Floatsel neither), it suddenly gets the idea "hey, I'll have him repeat that thing where he causes the edge of a platform to explode so I could use the dust as a smokescreen", and all the sudden, Floatsel goes down in a couple hits. Course, I'm always a bit over-analytical about these sorta things, but still, one loss on Satoshi's side couldn't have hurt (in fact, I think having a perfect win was kinda overkill... almost as bad as his straight win against Tessen, but that was at least justified). Well, I just hope Satoshi's Bouysel will still evolve after this (a common fear I have with evolution line confrontations: several cases usually have the lesser form "trying to prove they're strong enough as is"). After all, Bouysel seems to be a rough Shin'ou equivalent of his Kimori from AG (although not near as badass).

I think you may have forgotten that buizel did hit floatzel underwater with aqua jet and then propelled floatzel into the celling with a water pulse that acted like a water spout, which in my opinion would add up to quite a bit of nice damage.

so no it wasn't total domination.

ps. on a side note I need to brush up on my pokemon japanese names.

Somorio

Waiting for a hound.
QUOTE=Yamato-san;8247650]I didn't like that either, but I was laughing my ass off when the thing ended up barely doing shit the entire episode. XD It's made funnier by the fact that this is the last Gym Battle where Naetle will have any real advantage, with the final Gym being the one exception (Grass is resistant to Electric... plus, Electric is full-out weak against Ground, but like hell we'll be seeing a Dodaitose by that point).

ahh, japanese overload X.X

I think you may have forgotten that buizel did hit floatzel underwater with aqua jet and then propelled floatzel into the celling with a water pulse that acted like a water spout, which in my opinion would add up to quite a bit of nice damage.

so no it wasn't total domination.

ps. on a side note I need to brush up on my pokemon japanese names.
[/QUOTE]

dman_dustin

So blowing through the gyms like Paul did to Maylene means you fail?
Think about it, Ash breezes through the Gyms and goes into the league. What good is it if he has no strategy against people like Paul or some other person because he always won so easily, if you beat like so many people so easily, the only thing you learn is to be overconfident. Take for example when Ash beat a lot of weak trainers and challenged AJ, he lost miserably and he had no idea why.

Ok i know losing occasionally is a good thing, but while it may seem boring, having Ash do that for a gym run is the only real way to show his improvment as a trainer(not that it will likely ever happen since the writers are cowards when it comes to giving Ash power), and it would prove he would be capable of facing down and E4 squad as well, boring or not it's the only way i see him capable of becoming better long term.
I would agree with you since they brought in Paul but you have to think of the audiences on this one. Is it a good message for the newer audiences that a good and perfect life can be handed to you on a silver platter?

Treeko learning bullet seed is development whether you want to believe it or not. From the game's standpoint your argument is flawed. How is learning surf not stronger than just plain having water gun. How is learning to use a STAB for the first time not make you stronger?

Come new Pokemon and Pokemon moves come new strategies, if Ash thinks he can win with just his old Pokemon who would get stale then he would be wrong. And what would the point of showing Ash in a new region if all he did was use old Pokemon, again this about the viewers.

And also look at this way, if Ash gets higher than Top 8, how does that not make him look stronger? (what? there were just weaker trainers this time around in the sinnoh league?)

Now maybe occasionally Ash beating a gym leader like Wake is acceptable but look at how horribly it is portrayed compared to the other Gyms this region. Why would it be okay if Gyms got the "shaft" in terms of excitement just so you can have Ash beat every Gym Leader just like he did Crasher Wake to prove he's growing stronger? Wouldn't Ash getting a better ranking in the Regional League prove that more?

GreenTurtwig

Grass Trainer
When I checked the episode pics, Buisel & Floatsel used an attack that looked like a Aura Sphere; what was that?

Dax

Legend
Gligar and Ambipom look distorted in that pic...

They looked distorted the whole episode. I payed more attention to Gligar than the whole battle.>_>

Last edited: