• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Curry-zy Beautiful Battle! The Dance of Lurantis! (978)

k6666

Pikachu Fan
and on a side note how many Z-Crystals will Ash get by the end of the series?

I believe he will get 8 like gym badge
Electric Normal grass Fire(salazle trial if there rematch) rock(olivia) ghost(maybe new ghost trial/mimikyu) dark(nanu) ground (hapu)
Since shop gonna get the electric/steel(molayne) trial in Ula ula and there no fairy trial or I could see like take this trial

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I loed the nice touch when Ash was running away from Fomantis.

Rowlet casually flying into Ash's backpack.

After rewatching I'm still a little upset that Mallow didn't get anything but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I loed the nice touch when Ash was running away from Fomantis.

Rowlet casually flying into Ash's backpack.

After rewatching I'm still a little upset that Mallow didn't get anything but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Mallow's gonna be the League ender this generation obviously. Girl won't show off her real skills 'til the end.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Mallow's gonna be the League ender this generation obviously. Girl won't show off her real skills 'til the end.

I can imagine it now:

Fandom: Mallow is useless give her something to do!

beats Ash in league

Fandom: No, we didn't mean that!

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Well, after seeing the latter half of the episode, I gotta say it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Yes, Lurantis could've done more; no, Mallow doesn't need to interfere in Ash's Trial, but keeping it a secret from him wasn't very nice and Olivia continues to be a shadow of her game self in terms of characterization.

Here's hoping the next two episodes redeem both Ash and Olivia.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
At first the dream was very believable, like starting the episode in the middle of events. People have been mistaking Voltorbs for pokeballs since a long time ago. Time to challenge Olivia! (for real this time)

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review - Sun&Moon Edition

FINALLY, another Trial!

Pros:

* Crazy nightmare bruh

* Battle wasn't too bad

* Who said SM Ash couldn't be inspirational?

* At least Rowlet made up for the uselessness previously in the episode

* Good to see the focus being given to the owl and the cat

Cons:

* Hope Mallow will get more substantial focus other than being the team's sidekick-y character.

* Wish the battle lasted longer

* Not sure how I feel about battles always ending with Z-moves

Didn't think this episode was too bad. Thought battle was fine.

6/10

Last ten episodes ratings: 4.5/3/4.5/7.5/3/5.5/3/5/4/5.5
Average of episodes 21-30: 4.65/10
Average of episodes 11-20: 4.95/10
Average of episodes 1-10: 6.6/10

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
What the heck just happened? By what definition did Ash complete all of Akala's trials? They can't even make the excuse that all he needed to do in the anime world was the Grass Trial, as they kept on saying trials, in the plural. What? I'm so utterly beyond confused right now, and am probably more disappointed with this show than I ever have been, and that's saying a lot. The episode was alright, but that ending just screwed everything up. And it's a really bad reflection on the Sun and Moon series as a whole. The two big things this show lacks is good episode plots and good climaxes. The trial episodes tend to be some of the better in the series, and they just skipped 2/3 of Akala's, which had a sizable chunk of the entire games' trials. We sort of saw the Water Trial two episodes ago, but Lana completed that, not Ash. What's going on here?

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
That was a refreshingly unorthodox way to start off an episode. And overall, this trial was better than the letdown from last week. It was more exhilarating, for one thing. The trial was better constructed, and the battle was better. Plus, for once, there was a justifiable reason not to focus on anyone but Ash and Mallow despite sending everyone on separate paths in this trial. That was genius.

Where was this knack for good choices of JP music to maintain last week??? It fared out so much better. None of this keeping tense music in situations that aren't even remotely that, or keeping any similar Mima-isms. It still paled in comparison to the dub-exclusive stuff, but at least absolutely nothing was unfitting this time. I've always thought that if JP music had to be kept, better it be stuff that fit to begin with. So props to Mr. Akhil Gopal for that.

A very good one, just what was needed after last week's comparative borefest. Next week is the Grand Trial, which will surely be great.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
What the heck just happened? By what definition did Ash complete all of Akala's trials? They can't even make the excuse that all he needed to do in the anime world was the Grass Trial, as they kept on saying trials, in the plural. What? I'm so utterly beyond confused right now, and am probably more disappointed with this show than I ever have been, and that's saying a lot.
Oh it's extremely simple: The dub messed up. There was never any indication in the Japanese version that he had to do more than one trial in order to face the Grand Trial.

Ryu Taylor

Oh it's extremely simple: The dub messed up. There was never any indication in the Japanese version that he had to do more than one trial in order to face the Grand Trial.

For the most part, the Japanese language has no concept of singulars and plurals. That evidently caused a little mistranslation here.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Regardless, the other trials exist, we even saw Lana complete one of them, so it can't be denied, and they have given us no reason to believe whatsoever that Ash didn't have to complete them all. And if this is simply a choice of something to change made by the writers, it is an absolutely terrible choice. This might just officially make Sun and Moon my least favorite series, even worse than Black and White, and that's saying a whole lot.

DatsRight

Where was this knack for good choices of JP music to maintain last week??? It fared out so much better. None of this keeping tense music in situations that aren't even remotely that, or keeping any similar Mima-isms. It still paled in comparison to the dub-exclusive stuff, but at least absolutely nothing was unfitting this time. I've always thought that if JP music had to be kept, better it be stuff that fit to begin with. So props to Mr. Akhil Gopal for that.

Out of interest how much JP music was kept this episode?

I'd truthfully be fine if they just kept most of the games music like the early 4Kids episodes did. That at the very least is universally part of Pokemon's identity (and is usually a lot of the best tracks anyway).

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Regardless, the other trials exist, we even saw Lana complete one of them, so it can't be denied, and they have given us no reason to believe whatsoever that Ash didn't have to complete them all. And if this is simply a choice of something to change made by the writers, it is an absolutely terrible choice. This might just officially make Sun and Moon my least favorite series, even worse than Black and White, and that's saying a whole lot.

Ash didn't have to defeat Totem Raticate on Melemele either, he just had to do one trial there even though there are evidently more. For what it's worth, I don't really mind it. They already showed off the Wishiwashi trial with Lana, and having Ash do it again would just be a repeat. For the sake of pacing and variety I prefer it this way. And I don't think Ash needs to obtain all the Z-crystals anyway, let some of the others show off some of them. From what I understand from the anime is that it's up to the Kahunas to decide when a challenger is worthy of their Grand Trial and it's their duty to give them lesser trials to qualify, but it's at their discretion how many and how to shape them up.

Personally I wouldn't have liked Ash having to go through Totem Wishiwashi on his own, a battle he could've easily won with either Bloom Doom or Gigavolt havoc, especially after landing a couple of Thunderbolts. It'd either be the case that he wouldn't hook Wishiwashi at all, or he'd hook it and win the battle easily. Either way not really an engaging or tense trial.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Ash didn't have to defeat Totem Raticate on Melemele either, he just had to do one trial there even though there are evidently more. For what it's worth, I don't really mind it. They already showed off the Wishiwashi trial with Lana, and having Ash do it again would just be a repeat. For the sake of pacing and variety I prefer it this way. And I don't think Ash needs to obtain all the Z-crystals anyway, let some of the others show off some of them.

The Raticate is the same trial as the Gumshoos though. And while we saw Lana doing the Water Trial, that was just another bad choices by the writers having her do it instead of Ash. The trials aren't Lana's goal, they're Ash's. I was very confused watching that episode, and just figured that Ash would return to do that trial later, after enough time has passed for us to watch it again, and not battle Olivia until then. And then we don't even get see the Fire Trial in any way. apparently.

It's not really a matter of Ash obtaining all the Z-Crystal, as I couldn't care less if Ash did that or not, I just want to see him take on all the trials.

From what I understand from the anime is that it's up to the Kahunas to decide when a challenger is worthy of their Grand Trial and it's their duty to give them lesser trials to qualify, but it's at their discretion how many and how to shape them up.

That is what is seeming like now, and I understand the anime does not have to directly follow the games. They've proven that on multiple occasions. The difference now is that normally the changes made are either to make things make more sense for the anime world, to make things more interesting, or to promote something or other. This change is not for any of those reasons. Really, it's just the writers being lazy. I hate calling the writers lazy, but that's the only apt description I can come up with. They didn't want to bother writing episodes for each trial, so they decided to cut off 2/3 of them.

Personally I wouldn't have liked Ash having to go through Totem Wishiwashi on his own, a battle he could've easily won with either Bloom Doom or Gigavolt havoc, especially after landing a couple of Thunderbolts. It'd either be the case that he wouldn't hook Wishiwashi at all, or he'd hook it and win the battle easily. Either way not really an engaging or tense trial.

It would really come down to the ways the writers wrote the episode. Since it's not going to happen, I guess we'll never know.

Ryu Taylor

I'd truthfully be fine if they just kept most of the games music like the early 4Kids episodes did. That at the very least is universally part of Pokemon's identity (and is usually a lot of the best tracks anyway).

Watch it and find out. I don't want to ruin the surprise for you.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Silly Rowlet for being asleep (really sleepy) throughout the episode, but then again, Rowlet is nocturnal. Ash did well in the episode, using Rockruff to detect the path for any Diglett in the Diglett Tunnel, and Litten for the battle against Totem Lurantis. And that sneaky Olivia, spying on Ash and Mallow undetected. Overall, glad to see Ash complete the Lush Jungle Trial and receive the Grassium Z. I do wonder how Lana/Sophocles and Kiawe/Lillie fared in getting the ingredients they were tasked to find.

And yes, it does seem that they made it sound like Ash passed through multiple trials, but I guess that's an error in the dubbing process.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★

Title card, Alola Wild Pokémon (twice), Kalos Trainer Battle and Festival Plaza.

So yeah, your usual GGG episode.