• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Curry-zy Beautiful Battle! The Dance of Lurantis! (978)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
A Curry-zy Beautiful Battle! The Dance of Lurantis!

Ash and Mallow have been tasked with making the special Akala Curry. As such, they go to Lush Jungle to hunt the ingredients. Despite wild Pokémon getting in the way, they manage to get all the ingredients, but soon after that a Lurantis appears, causing Ash to have to battle it. Will he be able to defeat it?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

TheScentedApple

Not a very accurate representation of the trouble that lurantis is, didnt use synthesis and a scratch based break neck blitz probably wouldnt do that much damage. Oh well nice to have a little focus on Mallow, sadly no capture or anything though

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Litten just used Breakneck Blitz to defeat Totem Lurantis.
Ash just won the totem battle (with Litten and Rowlet) and earned the Grassium-Z.

Yeah, Mallow never do anything.. :(

Last edited:

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Ahhh... let me guess: "We'll Fight Too!" (aka that no-effort-put-into-it remix of M02JP's "Escape!") was used during the trial?

If not, then consider me mildly surprised.

p96822

Evolve me please
those poor Mallow fan who wanted her to battle and get a Z Ring for her trouble. I feel so sorry for them.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Why must Mallow be so neglected by the writers ;_;

She gets an exclusive episode once per year, and even then it's not really hers.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
those poor Mallow fan who wanted her to battle and get a Z Ring for her trouble. I feel so sorry for them.

Olivia had a role planned for her.

If Japanese speakers could translate what was said by Olivia regarding Mallow I'd be eternally grateful :)

As for Ash, well Litten gets the win with a Z-move, mirroring that of Pikachu and Hariyama. Also laughing because Ash really did choke that poor bird.

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
Olivia had a role planned for her.

If Japanese speakers could translate what was said by Olivia regarding Mallow I'd be eternally grateful :)

As for Ash, well Litten gets the win with a Z-move, mirroring that of Pikachu and Hariyama. Also laughing because Ash really did choke that poor bird.

I think Olivia had Mallow take Ash on the ingredient hunt, thus leading them to the Totem Lurantis. Gotta say, I'm wondering when Mallow will get her Z-Ring considering Lana and Kiawe have theirs. The preview for next episode really shows that she knows how to properly use Grassium Z and is thus teaching Ash how to perform it.

The episode was good though. Both Litten and Rowlet got some battling in, while Pikachu was left out for once. However, I gotta say that the comedy is starting to get a little too repetitive. Particularly with Ash getting hurt every five seconds. Can't someone else be on the receiving end?

thor94

could be interesting (for the battle part).
But would like to know who is the worlwide stupid moron thought to entrust ash with something involving cooking was a good idea?
Everyone know that beside pokemon battling (where ash is average or barely above at best), ash skills are pretty terrible at everything.

Why must Mallow be so neglected by the writers ;_;

She gets an exclusive episode once per year, and even then it's not really hers.

I'm not surprised by that. I've you think how girls are written in this show, than you can see, that Mallow is pretty much a very unnecessary character, because all the typically girl character tropes for this anime are already used for Lillie and maybe (just maybe) a bit for Lana.

Their for what else is left for her? Nothing really, because the anime really never does anything with it's female characters. Mallow is just another pretty/cute face for this anime. And that's about it.

Hanto

Water Addiction
Totally frustrated and dissapointed. The first Totem Battle with Gumshoos was kinda fine, Lana and her trial is more fishing battle rather pokemon one... But Lurantis one is so poorly written and curbstomped. After XY gym battles this kind of pokemon activity looks very unimpressive and shitty.
Mao did absolutely nothing. Ok, she is staying as the most stagnant and genki-girl cliche character.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Very very very happy that Mallow didn't do anything and it was all Ash's Pokemon in the battle. Rowlet's sleep gag was funny, but well the most impressive thing was it's teamwork with Litten(the way it saved Litten from Castform's Water Gun). Both had their contributions in this battle. Litten's uses a Z-move for the first time! :D Great episode, 9/10.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Seriously, I have no words to describe how bad that Totem Battle was. It was the kind of battle that would make OS battles feel proud. Absolutely pathetic. And of course, Ash has to start the very episode by having a nightmare and with an unfunny slapstick of banging his head followed by an exaggerated face.

Whatever little hope we had for Mallow was also tossed aside. If not catching the Fomantis or getting a Z Ring / Z Crystal, she could've at least played some part in the battle, but big NOPE.

Overall episode is 4/10. Terrible battle, Mallow does nothing, and more forced comedy. The only positive I found was the teamwork of Litten and Rowlet, and that's about it. Seriously, they make us wait so long from episodes 22 - 30, and when we're finally on Akala, it's been quite disappointing so far, barring Kiawe's episode last week. Seems like in its efforts to be light hearted and have a SOL feel with slapstick, SM has forgotten the true aspect of Pokémon, and that being battles. Barring Totem Gumshoos, I have not enjoyed even one battle since then.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
Meh. The very first Totem battle episode (SM009) was miles better than this trainwreck of an episode. The slapstick crap feels rather forced at this point. 4.5/10

Mallow didn't do much, huh? Welp, that's what happens when you have more than the usual number of characters on the main cast. Some get screentime, while some get shafted. It's unfortunate, really.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Olivia is so clumsy, how can a moving door push you down? :p:p And I like her leading on Ash and then crushing his hope. :p The team ups are pretty good too, I'm interested in what Lillie and Kiawe would be like. Darn Ash awoken the vegetable Pokémon from their sleep. This is reminding me of the episode where Bounsweet evolved. Poor Rowlet had to battle right after his nap. Oh my gosh and then Rotom isn't helping when he says there's a 50% chance this way is right or the other. Thank goodness for Ash! :)

And that battle was pretty beautiful. I felt the comradeship between Rowlet and Litten when Rowlet protected Litten from Water Gun and having them fly up and attack each of their opponents. I also knew how impatient and fed up Ash gotten with Rowlet sleeping all the time but he still complimented Rowlet and supported him throughout the battle. I loved how Litten moved on it's own without Ash having to command it like when it moved out of the way from getting hit while Ash panicked. And of course when it got hit by Water Gun, it literally got soaked and unamused, making it very effective. :p

I wished Mallow chan did something but I understand she couldn't since this is Ash's Totem battle and she's more of a healer/support than a battler which isn't bad, she's probably more useful in other areas like taking action than standing there. At least she can keep secrets. :D I did kind of wanted to see the team ups but Ash/Mallow pair is more important. I loved Olivia's reactions to Ash winning.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I don't understand one thing, how was Totem Lurantis pathetic compared to Totem Wishiwashi? It took an excellent teamwork from Rowlet/Litten+Breakneck Blitz to bring it down, unlike Totem Wishiwashi who got solo'd by Popplio. The ally Castform was also actively battling here, unlike Wishiwashi's ally. I fail to see how Totem Lurantis was pathetic.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Quite disappointed by this episode. I said I wouldn't be if Mallow didn't get anything, so I'm holding off my disappointment on that part. Although Mallow is getting higher up with Olivia personally it seems, as a helper of sorts, so that's always nice. Can't wait for her next development episode as she's my fav.

As for this episode... The battle seemed rushed, they could have left that whole first part off with the sleeping fomantis or the part in the diglett tunnel. That castforme was pathetic. Lurantis stayed in the exact same spot for that whole battle and spammed attacks (not really spamming when they're slow) but yeah... And castforme only used sunny day and watergun? Yes lets use watergun after using sunny day... At least give it ember also or something. Aside from that, super nice to see Litten dodging quick and being strong and taking a watergun to the face well, even if it's damage was halved...

Hanto

Water Addiction
I don't understand one thing, how was Totem Lurantis pathetic compared to Totem Wishiwashi? It took an excellent teamwork from Rowlet/Litten+Breakneck Blitz to bring it down, unlike Totem Wishiwashi who got solo'd by Popplio. The ally Castform was also actively battling here, unlike Wishiwashi's ally. I fail to see how Totem Lurantis was pathetic.
Battle against Totem Wishiwashi was not a traditional pokemon sparring, it was clearly a fishing competition. Olivia tested Lana’s skills of fisherman, her stamina and intelligente rather basic trainer’s knowledge. Popplio had just a supporting role, she made Wishiwashi exhausted and beguiled it while Lana keeps hooking the totem pokemon. Bubblebeam and Aqua Jet were enough to knock-out Wishiwashi because both Popplio underwater and Lana on land weakened it before battling. That episode shows what an effective tandem Lana and her starter pokemon is and distinguish her way of battling from Ash's one, making that Totem Battle unique.
Today episode did absolutely nothing. The first totem battle was a way better, cause Lurantis did not move and just spammed attacks. Castform used only Sunny Day and WATER GUN that was weakened by weather. Why not Weather Ball Fire? We could see Litten taking a hit of fire attack instead of Rowlet saving it. Headbutt also can could flinch. Very blatant fight without any strategy and choreography.

Last edited: