• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Curry-zy Beautiful Battle! The Dance of Lurantis! (978)

DatsRight

Title card, Alola Wild Pokémon (twice), Kalos Trainer Battle and Festival Plaza.

So yeah, your usual GGG episode.

Well, I suppose it's an improvement over XY, which kept about half of even that. Wish they'd keep some of the route/city themes like Hau'oui City more often though.

Last edited:

DatsRight

I don't think this is an improvement over anything, tbh. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMHFmjwUIAAVcRh.jpg

My memory may not be correct but I remember XY rarely ever reaching green at all, and WAY more Title Card only examples (or at least borderline since they always keep the TR theme and the TRio were far more recurrent there).

And as said, SM at least keeps more of the game related tracks, even some more obscure game ones like the Sinnoh and Kalos remixes, XY kept the Trainer battle, Title Card and that was usually it for games music.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
My memory may not be correct but I remember XY rarely ever reaching green at all, and WAY more Title Card only examples (or at least borderline since they always keep the TR theme and the TRio were far more recurrent there).
Sun and Moon is just slightly above XYZ. XY was a bit better (still terrible). When we see episodes like this one, with only 5 themes kept, as decent, we clearly have a problem.

DatsRight

As said, keep at least the majority of the game themes and I'd suffice.

Am I right in thinking that BW was the best for the Japanese tracks in the TPCI dub? (besides some odd episodes of DP done through another studio that didn't edit any at all).

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
As said, keep at least the majority of the game themes and I'd suffice.

Am I right in thinking that BW was the best for the Japanese tracks in the TPCI dub? (besides some odd episodes of DP done through another studio that didn't edit any at all).
Only season 14, which is the best season in terms of music kept of all time. Season 15 starts being cheap with that, and Season 16 is barely watchable. I don't need to mention from Season 17 onwards, the GGG era.

DatsRight

I'll give SM at least some credit, while the ratio isn't good they at least pinpoint more game themes, keeping some of the Sinnoh and Kalos theme cameos rather than just the basics (eg. main Pokemon theme, TR motto, current region's wild battle theme). Add some of the route/city themes to the mix and I'll consider it halfway decent (some episodes might at least reach double digits there).

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I'll give SM at least some credit, while the ratio isn't good they at least pinpoint more game themes, keeping some of the Sinnoh and Kalos theme cameos rather than just the basics (eg. main Pokemon theme, TR motto, current region's wild battle theme). Add some of the route/city themes to the mix and I'll consider it halfway decent (some episodes might at least reach double digits there).

Personally, I just want fitting music. I get that from the dub so much more than I ever got it from the JP version (in fact, I can count on only one of my hands the amount of times dub music was unfitting). So if JP music must be kept, better it be a track that was fitting to begin with. And luckily for this episode's dubbed self, fitting tracks were picked for the keeping. Last week's suffered big time for terrible choices of JP music to keep, and I never thought I'd be saying something like that.

DatsRight

Personally, I just want fitting music. I get that from the dub so much more than I ever got it from the JP version (in fact, I can count on only one of my hands the amount of times dub music was unfitting). So if JP music must be kept, better it be a track that was fitting to begin with. And luckily for this episode's dubbed self, fitting tracks were picked for the keeping. Last week's suffered big time for terrible choices of JP music to keep, and I never thought I'd be saying something like that.

Partly yes, and I stand by that for the original background music, but nostalgia and appeal plays into the game themes (and in fairness most of the game soundtracks are iconic and awesome). I mean, even if they could make the most elegant well synced original action theme possible, would a Pokemon fan rather have that play instead of 'Burning Battlefield' during a battle in the original series?

Last edited:

Ryu Taylor

Partly yes, and I stand by that for the original background music, but nostalgia and appeal plays into the game themes (and in fairness most of the game soundtracks are awesome). I mean, even if they could make the most elegant well synced original action theme possible, would a Pokemon fan rather have a battle play that over 'Burning Battlefield' in the original series?

Maybe. I don't know about others, but I'd be open for that. Depending on how that hypothetical track turns out, I could see myself admitting it's just as good as "Burning Battlefield."

I do agree that the game soundtracks are awesome (except the XY game soundtrack, which the show somehow managed to make sound even worse), and that's another factor to me preferring the show's dub music overall; I've never preferred how the show's remixes of the game music sounded over the actual game tracks themselves, even for the stuff in the past I like. Plus (and this applies more from XY onward than it did before, even though it's been there from the beginning albeit to a lesser extent), they're usually so clumsily and haphazardly used, in addition to frequent reuses. I'd die of liver cancer (fulfilling the wishes of many in the fandom) if I took a shot for every time I heard the Snowbelle City theme be reused for anything remotely sad. And I'm sure you remember how ruthless I was when getting on SM021JP's case for letting it **** up an historic moment. God, that was so satisfying.

Last edited:

DatsRight

Maybe. I don't know about others, but I'd be open for that. Depending on how that hypothetical track turns out, I could see myself admitting it's just as good as "Burning Battlefield."

I do agree that the game soundtracks are awesome (except the XY game soundtrack, which the show somehow managed to make sound even worse), and that's another factor to me preferring the show's dub music overall; I've never preferred how the show's remixes of the game music sounded over the actual game tracks themselves, even for the stuff in the past I like. Plus (and this applies more from XY onward than it did before, even though it's been there from the beginning albeit to a lesser extent), they're usually so clumsily and haphazardly used, in addition to frequent reuses. I'd die of liver cancer (fulfilling the wishes of many in the fandom) if I took a shot for every time I heard the Snowbelle City theme be reused for anything remotely sad. And I'm sure you remember how ruthless I was when getting on SM021JP's case for letting it **** up an historic moment. God, that was so satisfying.

I do understand that some of the JP themes get overused, but here's the thing, in the dub we never heard the Snowbelle theme ONCE, not even on occasions it fit and hadn't yet used up it's effective quota. I know some people make exception for SM21's change because the dub made a track that was as good and was after Snowbelle had been long overused in the JP version, but that's not always the case. We've had plenty themes that were used properly and reasonably and replaced with something generic that ruined the whole mood. Hell, I think I even remember a couple times we got NO music, which almost felt like the dubbers saying 'it's our's or nothing'.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The beginning of the episode reminded me of Serena's dream at the beginning of XY58.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Rowlet getting choked was the most hilarious thing.
Mallow really should of caught one of those Fomantis, poor girl got ripped off hard this arc.
The Akala Totems so far are very boring compared to Gumshoos and Raticate. I really hope the Fire Totem is better whenever it shows up. Lurantis was better than the lame Wishiwashi Trial at least, it actually attacked! Annoying how Litten's battle got hijacked by that stupid owl though. Certainly took long enough for Litten to use a z-move....
6/10

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Not a very accurate representation of the trouble that lurantis is, didnt use synthesis and a scratch based break neck blitz probably wouldnt do that much damage. Oh well nice to have a little focus on Mallow, sadly no capture or anything though

It did use Synthesis

I was talking about official battles, like vs Totems, Trainers or Kahunas. But since you've brought it up, yes, Rockruff vs Magmar was actually pretty decent. Says a lot about how underwhelming the Trials have been when an all out unofficial brawl between Pokémon is better than them.

It WAS the best battle in this series! Just check where I'm from lol. (My Location in the top right corner of every post)

Can't wait to watch the episode and see just how much people are overreacting this time around.

After all, nothing about SM is right.

People are honestly overreacting about this Totem battle being bad. The teamwork between Rowlet and Litten was excellent in this battle, and after all, the ally Pokemon was actively battling alongside the Totem. And a Z-move finish is good to watch after all. I fail to see what's too bad about this Totem battle.

It's awesome to see the rare moment when Janovy and 345ash-greninja can agree :)

Any strong what? I'm sorry, but how can one possess "strong foliage," unless you are referring to her plant Pokémon?

Hm..... maybe a bush could be considered foliage?

It's also often fun seeing heavy teamwork, especially with a bird Pokemon.

This is one of the many reasons the Olympia battle is the best gym battle in the history of the show

in the GGG era, of course).

Im not sure what Gennady Golovkin has to do with it

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Why are people complaining about the use of the word "trials"? I know Japanese doesn't really use plurals, but the dub at least implied that ingredient gathering and the Totem battle were in fact separate trials instead of one long trial

Ryu Taylor

GGG is a fan term some of us created to describe the current era. Goldfarb (dub music composer), Gopal (dub music editor) and Greed (a perfect description of TPCi).

As you can tell, @Lilligantlewis , it's a hater term, not a fan one.

I sometimes use that acronym myself, except when I use it, that final G stands not for "Greed" (which only TPCi's haters see them as), but for "Godsend" (my personal preferred description of TPCi, considering their hard work in turning a pathetic excuse of a show that would by all rights be unsalvageable into a watchable and enjoyable Saturday morning cartoon).

Why are people complaining about the use of the word "trials"? I know Japanese doesn't really use plurals, but the dub at least implied that ingredient gathering and the Totem battle were in fact separate trials instead of one long trial

Who knows with these people? Anything's fair game to them. Besides, Ash had a helping hand in the other trials on Akala Island. Those likely count.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode's main weakness was pretty much what I had anticipated, in that Mao hardly did anything while Satoshi got to battle the Totem Lalantis. Satoshi winning the Z-Crystal was good and all, but I was hoping for more involving the subplot about the quest to find the curry ingredients.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I like how absolutely no one points out the fact Lana cleared a trial and had the right to fight Olivia, unless the Totem she fought wasn't exactly an official one or anyone without the charm holding the proofs of beating Kahunas don't count.

The Fomantis were weird. They clearly were woken up by the group, but they just let them move until they made slightly more noise.

That Totem Lurantis has to be the most pathetic Totem ever. All it took to defeat it was one straight Z-Crystal blow. The battle was mostly just Ash watching the thing preparing blows and Rotom Dex explaining every single thing that occurred. I also like the fact murderous Totems are by definition good monsters to heal right back up, so everything else is out to kill you.

So why was Mallow even needed?

Olivia: I had Mallow stand by and watch everything!

...Says the woman who kept stalking the two from the dark (in a world where police won't find such fact suspicious), which only makes Mallow's importance in the episode useless. At least Olivia knows exactly what role Mallow has as a whole in the anime. Ha ha.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode is especially bittersweet to me now since I had wanted Mao to capture a Karikiri for a long time, yet the opportunity was missed in this episode.