• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Diamond in the Rough! (926)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
It would have but then he tossed an OOC fit, which is much more negative than any of Bonnie's fits.

A purity sue's main role is to basically instill hope and warmth into everyone, and is overly positive most of the time. I think Ash fits the bill.

Markerz

It's interesting how they word Alain's eagerness to challenge Ash at the League.

Ash x Alain is the greatest love story that never was. That determination, that passion. Sorry Mairin, you never stood a chance.

Pikachu52

How'd I guess people would complain about Alain getting all eight gym badges, seriously it's not that hard to believe he got them quickly. Considering he has a Charizard and it's insane endurance we can guess he just flew to different gyms. For obvious reasons he would know that the leauge is approaching and since he wanted to battle Ash there he needed to quickly gather the badges.

Assuming Charizard is capable of crossing long distances with a human on it's back - No other character in the anime has travelled long distance on the back of their Pokémon. However given the TM fly in the games can get the player across a region in a second I suppose it's not unprecedented. It's not a particularly valid reason to enter the league though; just to battle another trainer, which given that there are 64 other competitors is far from guaranteed to happen. Every other series the rivals in the league have been there because they wanted to be there and saw it as the culmination of months of hard work for them and their Pokémon. Alain's the first character entering the Pokémon league with an ulterior motive.

It's interesting how they word Alain's eagerness to challenge Ash at the League.

Ash x Alain is the greatest love story that never was. That determination, that passion. Sorry Mairin, you never stood a chance.

When put like that it almost comes across as obsessive stalking behaviour - going to huge lengths to enter a competition that he previously had no interest in just to talk to (or battle with) Ash when he could simply have asked him to battle.

Last edited:

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Goodra probably has a new dub VA (haven't seen it yet) because Tom Wayland voiced Goodra and he got fired for reasons that I won't post here. So, yeah, needed to recast. Same way Meyer will probably be recast in 6 episodes.

Wayland used to voice Charmander/Charmeleon as well, didn't he? I remember Trevor's Charmeleon sounding more... Spanish, in the Moltres episode than what it used to be.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I think it was actually quite smart to use the Carbinks as weapons for the robot. Goodras counter for it also seemed to be good thinking. I hope its not too late for TR to catch another pokemon.

Cloud5001

Assuming Charizard is capable of crossing long distances with a human on it's back - No other character in the anime has travelled long distance on the back of their Pokémon. However given the TM fly in the games can get the player across a region in a second I suppose it's not unprecedented. It's not a particularly valid reason to enter the league though; just to battle another trainer, which given that there are 64 other competitors is far from guaranteed to happen. Every other series the rivals in the league have been there because they wanted to be there and saw it as the culmination of months of hard work for them and their Pokémon. Alain's the first character entering the Pokémon league with an ulterior motive.

When put like that it almost comes across as obsessive stalking behaviour - going to huge lengths to enter a competition that he previously had no interest in just to talk to (or battle with) Ash when he could simply have asked him to battle.

We know a Charizard is capable of that because Ash's Charizard has done it before, and Alain's reasoning makes total sense when you remember how excited he got whenever he battled with Ash. Cause those battles had nothing on the line for him, it was for pure fun and I doubt it would be that hard to get fired up like that in a battle against Ash. So the reason he wanted this battle to be at the leauge becomes obvious, he wants Ash to be battling as hard as he can and where better than at the place he knows Ash will be trying his hardest to win.

Pikachu52

We know a Charizard is capable of that because Ash's Charizard has done it before,

Ash's Charizard has never crossed an entire region in one flight.

So the reason he wanted this battle to be at the leauge becomes obvious, he wants Ash to be battling as hard as he can and where better than at the place he knows Ash will be trying his hardest to win.

It's still hard to fathom that he's obsessed to see Ash battle that much more determinately that he would off the fly decided to collect 8 gym badges and enter the league. Every other rival in the previous series has been in the league for the same reason as Ash, passion for the contest. Alain's more abstract reasoning and enabling strength are a departure from that.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
It's still hard to fathom that he's obsessed to see Ash battle that much more determinately that he would off the fly decided to collect 8 gym badges and enter the league. Every other rival in the previous series has been in the league for the same reason as Ash, passion for the contest. Alain's more abstract reasoning and enabling strength are a departure from that.

Um, Ash doesn't want to win the league. He clearly isn't emotionally invested in it. The rivals genuinely want to enter the league to win.

Cloud5001

Ash's Charizard has never crossed an entire region in one flight.

Uh yeah he has infact he's crossed TWO reigions in order to get to the battle pyramid. Heck before that he was able to get from the charicific valley all the way to where the Jhoto leauge was in the span of at least a full day.

That's some pretty good motiviation to enter a major competition, he wants the chance to see Ash at his best so battling him at the league will give him that chance.

DatsRight

"What is that silly looking thing?" - excellent question Serena!

I don't really have any other thoughts about this episode in the dub compared to the original, I'm pretty sure Goodra has a different dub VA now but it was fine. Still don't understand why Florges needs a dub VA.

FLAME.

And as usual they took out nearly all the original music but that used in the first XY episode and replaced it with some of the most out of place elevator music I've heard so far (which is saying something), seriously the dub music throughout most of the TR face-off didn't fit at all (at least they kept Rocket-dan Danka though, love it's use as the mech trudges in).

Soooo...

Anti-Sue — Ash
Black Hole Sue — Ash. No, really.
Copy Cat Sue — Uh, technically, everyone really is better than anyone in this anime...but not for this reason.
Fixer Sue — N/A
God-Mode Sue — Tobias. Lesser example but still infuriating: Alain.
Jerk Sue — Maybe Paul.
Mary Tzu —N/A
Parody Sue — N/A
Possession Sue — *guffaws*
Purity Sue — BONNIE
Relationship Sue — What Serena wished it happened for real.
Sympathetic Sue — Ash, come every league defeat.
Thirty Sue Pileup — N/A
Villain Sue — Lysandre, so much.

I'm tempted to call Ash an intentionally conceived fixer sue since it's pretty much his running shtick to go around the world solving everyone's problems as a by product of his travels. XY all but lampshades it as his top characteristic (though in fairness after six regions of losing, you want some reputation).

Last edited:

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
For an episode where Goodra was returning, it was honestly underwhelming for me. Nice to see Carbink debut in the anime, but otherwise, it was an average episode for me.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I liked this episode and not because Alain winning his last Gym Badge against Korrina, but that we got to see Goodra again and probably would've like it more if it didn't turn out the way it did from being rushed.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
At least it was nice to see Goodra return again, Ash and friends pay a visit to Goodra's homeland and Goodra meeting Ash's Pokémon again but otherwise I didn't find this episode particularly interesting, especially spending a lot of focus on Carbink but nice to at least see it appear. At least a snippet of Alain winning against Korrina made it a bit more interesting.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Since we'd seen several Melecie in the Diancie movie, I wasn't expecting to see more show up in XY. Still, I was glad to see Numelgon's swamp once again, and Alain's off-screen victory against Corni was definitely an important event.

Goodra is one of favorite Pokemon so it was really nice to see him again. I am a little annoyed by them pushing Dedenne's friendship with it, though. Dedenne only really bonded with Goodra when it was a Goomy and would chew on people's ears, which I was sad to see didn't carry over when Goomy evolved, but this show always tends to ditch establishing character traits when the Pokemon evolve.