• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Fashionable Battle! (876)

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
They managed to humanize Valerie! That's already a plus in my book.

And I see that we're still complaining about past mon dexing when it's clearly being done for the new group of kids who don't even know of Sceptile.

8/10

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'm always going to assume that the pokedex has become a marketing tool to new children so they can sell stuff.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Omg Valerie slayed me. I loved seeing all her Fairy-types as well, plus Dedenne interacting with them. Shota vs. Valerie ended with Bagon's loss just as I expected, but it was still neat.

DotKU

Champion
I think this was a good episode tbh. I liked Valerie and Shota's introductions and the bgm selected for some scenes. Despite not being too fond of his design, Shota is an interesting character and I like how

he is calm about losing and takes notes on his mistakes. The rival battle was okay, the animation is most likely being saved for next episode. But, Fragadier was amazing as usual. I'm also glad that Ash is

taking this gym seriously and actually training for it, contrary to the next episode's summary. Can't wait for the next episode!

Ѕhiny Missingno

While the gym battle and the upcoming 3 on 3 will be the main focus, this episode was pretty good. Decent battles, good showing of both Serena and Bonnie and even Clemont got a couple moments for himself. Valerie has a good personality here, too.

XXD17

Draco rex
Hmm, apparently Serena was dressed as a Florges?

Yes! And bonnie was a chingling! All the pokemon furisodes were very cute...Valerie was very cute...her talking in poke-speak was very cute...but she seems to have some sort of sadness in her life...maybe we'll find out more about it later...that Mr. Mime though...shudders...it just didn't fit in with the rest of Valerie's squad...it's like that one awkward friend lol...also, do we know all of bagon's moves? headbutt, dragon breath and fire fang? Also for treecko, it knows bullet seed...and was that first move leech seed?

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review-

Didn't watch with subs. Probably missed out on some details.

Pros:

* And number of cute girls in Kalos just keeps on rising...

* The Frog is a boss

* Valerie. Half Human. Half Dark Elf.

* Foreshadowing. Serena's Eevee becomes an Umbreon. Pangoro confirmed too

* Serena's face on the runway. Hope she keeps that outfit

* Serena being the first one out to join Ash and Shota outside. Also, Ash training for Valerie. Not sure why it says he wouldn't be ready for her

Cons:

* Shota. On man, I am not a fan of the Japanese seiyuu for this dude. Weird design - he looks like he is 7 years old. I can't take him seriously as a rival

* No Laverre Theme in Laverre Town

* Oh this isn't stacked at all - a first-stage Dragon-type against a Gym Leader's Fairy-type. Ended in an obvious stomp

* Did he seriously just Dex a Treecko...? FFS (unless Ash recognized Treecko's name from earlier)

* For being a Serena "focus" episode based on the title card, this one was more about Shota if anything

Thoughts:

* Dang, wish Serena would have mentioned how she was nervous to walk the stage again after last time. But it just seems like it was passed off for her being embarrassed wearing that outfit (although considering her Fennekin outfit from before...not sure why she would feel that way)

* Ash is already outclassing Shota. Hope this doesn't become a thing where Shota is in Ash's shadow and then at the league, he defeats him. They should have done with BW, and made Ash really cocky after DP, only for him to get upset at the league by a trainer who says **** to type advantages and needs DEM evolution power boost...rather like newbie Ash. But not here please

* The boys sit on the bench and bored, while the girls look at dresses. Kek

* So did Shota win the 5th badge against Citroid?

Episode had its moments, but could have been better. Clearly building up for next week's episode.

6/10

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
Can we stop with the pokedex nonsense?

Ash literally called both Pokemon by their name before using his Pokedex. Are there still people who think think Ash using a Pokedex means he doesn't know what Pokemon it is or that he doesn't remember? Seriously.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
So everyones talking about Ash using a Pokedex on Treecko? As stupid as that sounds, you know why they did it. Because not everyone grew up in AG or watched it so they might not have ever seen a Treecko in this anime, therefore the Pokedex is there to tell them. That's the function of the Pokedex. I find it more funny that Serena's in a room full of Pokemon she's never seen before and doesn't use her's once at all. I guess she just doesn't care about learning about Pokemon. Poor Sycamore, you wasted a Pokedex on her.

I watched this episode and eh, it was alright. Not bad. I mean Frogadier destroying Treecko was the only cool thing about this episode. Don't really care for Shota. We already have about a bunch of junior/young trainers that look up to Ash or admire him in XY. One more isn't going to matter, so Shota is nothing special. Valerie still creeps me out. Overall meh episode. Really the only highlight is the blue ninja frog.

Respawnzer

Toaru NT 13 hype
I absolutely loved this episode mainly for the fact that my favourite Gym Leader Valerie and the furisode girls made their debut. Serena in a yukata was also an added bonus. Shota...couldn't care less.

Absketchum

Did they mention anything about Shota's gym count?
I felt it was a pretty good episode..

Yuraenia

Call me Qooky :)
I thought this was a good episode :) Honestly, yeah I'm tired of people complaining about the Pokedex thing. He knew what Kimori/Treecko and Tatsubay/Bagon was and even recognized and said their names like three times before looking it up anyway.

Yeah, I thought Shota's badge count was...meager to say the least, for Satoshi's rival. I want to believe that instead of a usual rival like Shigeru or Shinji was, Satoshi and Shota have a mentor-apprentice type of rivalry, which is interesting and something new for me at least. First thing i thought of when Shota was gushing about Satoshi: "Satoshi-senpai" lol And with that in mind, I think it would be interesting if Shota ends up surpassing Satoshi and beating him in the Pokemon League or something.

And the dialogue was pretty great too :) "Satoshi, you travel with gym leaders AND models. I'm jealous" ahahaha

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Did his name really just change from Scottie to Sawyer?

Dammit TPCI make up your minds...

Pokegirl0102

I just love the confidence Ash shows when he is battling this series, much more decisive than he was in Black and White, i think it is a nice touch that Valerie can talk to fairy type pokemon, i wished Valerie challenged Ash as opposed to Sawyer but guess i will be patient, and i prefer the games dazzling gleam over the anime

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Shota/Scottie/Sawyer/Green-haired kid/Treeko boy/leprechaun's dub voice still grates on my ears. Sounds way too deep for someone of his age and personality.