• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Fashionable Battle! (876)

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
The evil, extremely hammy doctor who had no reason to be evil? Ha ha.

Compared to what we've been dealing with since Black and White yeah, I consider it a good performance.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Even with Shota, the dub voice seemed weird at first, but after about five minutes I was used to it and now I think it kinda fits his look..

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Every young woman like her can sound like a ten-year old over there if they want to.

I still think TPCi could've simply had a female voice Sawyer though. With the VA that he got stuck with he sounds like an adult imo, yet he's supposed to be like ten.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Well, I'm still stunned and surprised that Shota's dub name ended up being Sawyer, when everyone said it was supposed to be Scottie when he first appeared a few episodes ago @___@

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Oh man... at first I thought Sawyers VA was the same as Camerons.

Please Sawyer, dont beat Ash at the League lol

He showed up way too early. The dream-killer always shows up after the badge quest

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
At least they improve and sometimes have better BGMs than the sub :3
I'm sorry If I sound rude but this has to be a joke. The dub music was fine from OS to DP but now... It's too generic and doesn't have any kind of emotion. If only they re-used old themes...

I don't have any taste for music but that's what I feel with the new music. I'm probably wrong, I don't know...

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
So, when was the last time TPCI had a 10 year old boy be voiced by a female VA, giving them a little boy voice? Last one I remember is Kenny.

It's fine when they have a male VA in the Japanese version (like Kotetsu and Citron) but then you got Shota who has this cute voice and, yeah.

Last edited:

Pikachu52

So, when was the last time TPCI had a 10 year old boy be voiced by a female VA, giving them a little boy voice? Last one I remember is Kenny. It's fine when they have a male VA in the Japanese version (like Kotetsu and Citron) but then you got Shota who has this cute voice and, yeah.

I liked Sawyer. I like the way he records things he learns about Pokémon in his note book and I like the way he seems to have bonded with Ash after meeting him for the first time. Plus I think he's quite cute ;037; He and Ash have a lot in common in that they're both passionate about Pokémon. They will easily become good friends. What's interesting about Sawyer is that he's relatively young and inexperienced meaning Ash may become more of a mentor to him than a rival - that's certainly a dynamic we haven't seen before in the anime. Now if only they could dump Serena and make Sawyer a permanent travelling companion - that would be good.

Oh man... at first I thought Sawyers VA was the same as Camerons. Please Sawyer, dont beat Ash at the League lol

Sawyer is a lot like Cameron. They're both passionate about Pokémon and they both seem to form a sort of kindred spirit bond with Ash. I would say Cameron became closer to Ash faster than Sawyer. I don't think Sawyer will beat Ash at the league. Cameron was always a better trainer than Ash right from the start (it has to be said). Sawyer is much younger and has less experienced. Only three known Pokémon. It's also not shown yet that he has a closer relationship with Treecko as Cameron did with Riolu - Cameron won because of his friendship with Riolu and we haven't really seen that yet with Sawyer. I'm hoping Sawyer will be shown to have that sort of relationship with his Treecko or Bagon at some point in the future.

What else can I say - Ash and Sawyer's battle was good. The fashion parade was interesting - I didn't like the way the organisors dragged Serena and Bonnie into it because the real models weren't avaliable. A fashion show that grabs a random member of the public including an underage girl to be a model. Really??? Serena isn't even that cute. Valarie was a bit odd. It's not explained how she can speak Pokémon language but that's certainly an interesting development. Other than that she wasn't very interesting. Wanting things to look beautiful and saying beauty can only come from nature is a bit shallow. Beauty comes from within. She sounded a little bit like Lysandre from Team Flare almost. In any case I don't remember her being like that in the games.

I didn't like Bonnie in this episode though. The running gag of her trying to arrange a marriage for her brother isn't funny. I find it a bit inappropriate. Brock's constant flirting was questionable but arranging your brother a marraige - seriously who does that?

The battle between Sawyer and Valarie was predictable - I knew what was going to happen the moment he sent Bagon out. Poor Bagon.

9/10

Last edited:

Pikachu52

Pikachu52, please do not bring the black sheep of the previous region.

And by the way, they couldn't be more different. One actually studies, the other thinks a notebook is an arcane word.

The fact that Sawyer studies doesn't necessarily mean he's better than Cameron. All he does is write down things he observes about other Pokémon and trainers in his note book. I like the fact that he's studious and wants to improve but at the end of the day the only way he'll become better as a trainer is by forming a deeper understanding and bond with his Pokémon and training and battling persistently. That's what Ash does. That's what Cameron did.

Ash is already outclassing Shota. Hope this doesn't become a thing where Shota is in Ash's shadow and then at the league, he defeats him. They should have done with BW, and made Ash really cocky after DP, only for him to get upset at the league by a trainer who says **** to type advantages and needs DEM evolution power boost...rather like newbie Ash. But not here please

Ash had no reason to be cocky after DP. He may have done better than previously but he was handed his most crushing defeat ever to Tobias, a cheater with legendary Pokémon in the league. I don't see why that would have made him cocky. If anything it would probably make him question his ability but he took it with good grace. Simply because Cameron didn't really care about type disadvantages doesn't mean anything - Nobody in BW seemed to care about type match ups. Trip's Serperior had a disadvantage against every single Pokémon it battled in the Junior Cup but still won singled handedly (and as a Servine beat Chili's Pansear). Cress's Panpour beat Pikachu in the first gym battle (which I consider to be a disgrace of a battle. Pikachu should have won). Iris's Dragonite beat Georgia's Beartic despite not listening to Iris (really Georgia are you that bad). Iris's Excadrill beat Burgundy's Dewott (Seriously Burgundy). The only time when type advantage seemed to count for anything was when Excadril battled Pikachu in club battle and I argue Pikachu and Ash should have won that - That episode is the lowest point in the anime EVER (other than a few boring moments here and there) I never want to see Pikachu beaten like that again. Even Ash's Oshawott took on Pokémon he had a serious disadvantage and won to such as Stephan's Blitzel and Cilan's Pansage. And Snivy beat Georgia's Pawnaird. So the fact that Cameron didn't bother to factor in type advantages into his battle plan isn't that strong a criticism when you consider it in context.

The other people are forgetting about Cameron's evolution power boost is that Riolu's evolve from friendship - it's completely understandable that a Riolu would want to evolve to win for it's beloved trainer. Cameron and Lucario had the same bond as Ash and Pikachu and it was really the strength of that which won out at the end of the day. Disappointing for Ash but at the end of the day that is what the anime is all about...

Last edited:

Remix2

The fact that Sawyer studies doesn't necessarily mean he's better than Cameron. All he does is write down things he observes about other Pokémon and trainers in his note book. I like the fact that he's studious and wants to improve but at the end of the day the only way he'll become better as a trainer is by forming a deeper understanding and bond with his Pokémon and training and battling persistently. That's what Ash does. That's what Cameron did. That's what Serena has never done.

Ya serena does train with her Pokemon even if it isn't for battling, and form I see she have a pretty good bond with her Pokemon.

Janovy

Banned
The fact that Sawyer studies doesn't necessarily mean he's better than Cameron. All he does is write down things he observes about other Pokémon and trainers in his note book. I like the fact that he's studious and wants to improve but at the end of the day the only way he'll become better as a trainer is by forming a deeper understanding and bond with his Pokémon and training and battling persistently. That's what Ash does. That's what Cameron did.
Sawyer is already a hundred times better than Cameron even will be.

Cameron is a complete idiot and the way he defeated Ash at the League is absolutely demeaning. At least when/if Sawyer defeats Ash at the League I won't be as bitter because the guy's been depicted as hard-working and willing to learn and lose in order to improve himself which is more than what I can say for Cameron, a guy who forgot to bring a full team for his League battle vs Ash and STILL FREAKING WON.

Pikachu52

Ya serena does train with her Pokemon even if it isn't for battling, and form I see she have a pretty good bond with her Pokemon.

That's true she does. I may have made that last point a little too quickly. I made that comments for two reasons. 1) At the end of this episode she seemed more interested in watching Ash train with Sawyer than training herself, although she may just have wanted to watch the battle. 2) She also spent the day looking at dresses while Ash and Sawyer were battling, although again I admit it may just have been something she really wanted to do.

Sawyer is already a hundred times better than Cameron even will be.

Arguably not. Cameron won 8 badges and got to Unova league top 4. He has a team that was mostly fully evolved and when it came to battle he looked like he knew what he was doing. The evolution of Riolu showed he had a very strong bond with his Pokémon the same way Ash does. Sawyer still has yet to do anything like that - We still haven't seen the extent of his relationship with Treecko and Bagon yet. Let's wait and see...

Cameron is a complete idiot and the way he defeated Ash at the League is absolutely demeaning. At least when/if Sawyer defeats Ash at the League I won't be as bitter because the guy's been depicted as hard-working and willing to learn and lose in order to improve himself which is more than what I can say for Cameron, a guy who forgot to bring a full team for his League battle vs Ash and STILL FREAKING WON.

Of all the things I was left feeling bitter about in the anime the Cameron battle doesn't rate as highly as some of the other. In my opinion Iris in Club battle was the most demeaning battle Ash had during that series. Cameron was shown to be as hard-working and willing to learn and loose as Sawyer is. He was just a little bit more energetic than Sawyer and he spaces out. That's all. He already had a strong team after all.

And winning with less than 6 Pokémon in a full battle is not entirely unprecendented. Tobias beat Ash with only 2 the series before (that was a little more demeaning than the Cameron battle) and Virgil won his battle with Cameron with only 3 Pokémon. Yes I think it was demeaning but BW had moments that were much more demeaning than that especially to Pikachu. And DP wasn't much better. I do wish the result had been different but if I could change anything I would change club battle not the league.

Last edited:

Minios

Smoke weed everyday
That's true she does. I made that comments for two reasons. 1) At the end of this episode she seemed more interested in watching Ash train with Sawyer than training herself, although she may just have wanted to watch the battle. 2) She also spent the day looking at dresses while Ash and Sawyer were battling, although again I admit it may just have been something she really wanted to do.
1) Your friend got an important match tomorrow and he went on training... And you are traveling with him... So you will just ignore him training and go train by yourself -_-?

2)When Serena was practicing her performance in XY64, Ash was watching her with Bonnie... Does that mean he's not interested in battle and a slacker?

3) Why do you want Serena to be a battler when she's a performer, and why can't we have a girl who loves fashion for once? Plus she will wear that dress she was looking at in her next performance, so please stop saying that she didn't do anything on that day!

And winning with less than 6 Pokémon in a full battle is not entirely unprecendented. Tobias beat Ash with only 2 the series before (that was a little more demeaning than the Cameron battle) and Virgil won his battle with Cameron with only 3 Pokémon. Yes I think it was demeaning but BW had moments that were much more demeaning than that especially to Pikachu. And DP wasn't much better. I do wish the result had been different but if I could change anything I would change club battle not the league.
At least Tobias battle was legit , Ash was against 2 LEGENDARIES! Plus,Ash actually used type advantages with Hercross facing Darkra, in Paul battle, he withdrew Infernape when Paul sent out Gastrodon...

In Cameron battle? Ok, I don't need to say anymore, that battle was beyond bs! Ash kept Pignite while Cameron sent out Samurott! And Cameron sent out Ferrothorn against Ash's Pignite? So yeah, Cameron losing to Virgil 3-6 wasn't surprised me!

Last edited:

Pikachu52

Minios;177596063) said:
Why do you want Serena to be a battler when she's a performer, and why can't we have a girl who loves fashion for once? Plus she will wear that dress she was looking at in her next performance, so please stop saying that she didn't do anything on that day!

Because you can't be a trainer without battling. It's kind of the point of training Pokémon and it's how trainers bond with their Pokémon - by battling. And we've already had a girl who is interested in fashion. Dawn liked fashion and she used to dress Buneary up for photos. Jessie is also shown to be interested in fashion and making herself look pretty. Jessie even has shown a desire to be a actress at certain points. And if Serena doesn't learn to battle how can she do any of the things a trainer is supposed to do such as catch Pokémon. That's why I think Serena should be training and battling.

Minios

Smoke weed everyday
Because you can't be a trainer without battling. It's kind of the point of training Pokémon and it's how trainers bond with their Pokémon - by battling. And we've already had a girl who is interested in fashion. Dawn liked fashion and she used to dress Buneary up for photos. Jessie is also shown to be interested in fashion and making herself look pretty. Jessie even has shown a desire to be a actress at certain points. And if Serena doesn't learn to battle how can she do any of the things a trainer is supposed to do such as catch Pokémon. That's why I think Serena should be training and battling.
*Sigh* Why is Dawn strong in a first place? Contest! Nuff said... And are you saying that Jessie is stronger than Serena? Heh! You haven't watched One for the Goomy... Therefore I wouldn't be suprise with the fact that TR are more of a comedy relief now...
You must battling with Pokemon to strengthen your bond? All right, I will control my dog in real life and battling with others so I can strengthen my bond with them :rolleyes: iIs she a trainer in a first place? She's a Pomemon Performer, and she knows how to battle! She has proven that several times!

Last edited:

Pikachu52

At least Tobias battle was legit , Ash was against 2 LEGENDARIES! Plus,Ash actually used type advantages with Hercross facing Darkra, in Paul battle, he withdrew Infernape when Paul sent out Gastrodon...
In Cameron battle? Ok, I don't need to say anymore, that battle was beyond bs! Ash kept Pignite while Cameron sent out Samurott! And Cameron sent out Ferrothorn against Ash's Pignite? So yeah, Cameron losing to Virgil 3-6 wasn't surprised me!

If anything legendaries makes it even less legit.

*Sigh* Why is Dawn strong in a first place? Contest! Nuff said... And are you saying that Jessie is stronger than Serena? Heh! You haven't watched One for the Goomy... Therefore I wouldn't be suprise with the fact that TR are more of a comedy relief now...
You must battling with Pokemon to strengthen your bond? All right, I will control my dog in real life and battling with others so I can strengthen my bond with them :rolleyes: iIs she a trainer in a first place? She's a Pomemon Performer, and she knows how to battle! She has proved that several times!

Yes I have seen One for the Goomy. Serena won but she didn't do that well - Ash and Clemont (and pretty much any of Ash's other companions) would have defeated them much easier. It's Team Rocket and Pancham almost lost. She was loosing at the start of the battle. Plus I never said Jessie was stronger than Serena. I just said that she was a girl into fashion. Personally I think the whole concept of being a performer is more BS than anything we saw in BW. At least with contests there were battle's involved which is kind of the entire point of the Pokémon series The first half of the performance uses the Pokémon as dress up items or else doesn't involve them at all, It's not objectively judged seeing as the audience vote and I have yet to see a rational basis for the exclusion of boys (in my home state exclusion of a person on the basis of their gender from participation in sport is unlawful discrimination unless you can show a genuine reason for said exclusion). And yes Serena is a Pokémon trainer - Everyone who has Pokémon is a trainer that's how it works. Being a co-ordinator or a breeder or even a performer still requires you to be a trainer. How are you supposed to travel and capture Pokémon without battling. Furthermore most trainers in the anime get to know each other by having battles together - Clemont said as much in the first episode.

Last edited: