• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A fate that's worse than death?

Brumrha

Banned
Sure, there are those people who think that dying is the absolute worst thing in the universe, but one must consider this: is there such a thing as a fate worse than even death?

My answer for this: sure, there exists such a thing, as I consider this: Euthanasia = mercy killing, or ending one's suffering through death. If there is no such thing as a fate worse than death, then chances are, this word won't even be in the dictionary.

Here is a perfect example of something worse than death: having your face being blown away by a magnum handgun at point-blank range, & surviving. Why is this worse? You'd then literally have a huge gaping hole in your face, which means that you're just about beyond recognition. As this stands, you'll most likely be shunned away from the public, as more often than not, they see you as someone that got beaten with the ugly stick. However, they don't know exactly how this has happened, & that's what makes this really painful for the person enduring this. The only way to fix that is with Plastic Surgery, which will most likely take at least a year & will cost in excess of a million dollars.

Another way to look at this is to go in the mind of a soldier back in World War Two. That conflict has raged on for six years, & for the people who fought in this war for an extended period of time, more often than not, they will start to have problems with their mental health. It's for this reason that these people actually welcome death, as they don't see it as an evil that deprives them of their loved ones, but rather, as a quiet & peaceful sleep.

Got any other thing that you think is worse than death? Do share it with us, but you should also describe why you think so; otherwise no one is going to believe you.

God, I feel like the speaker of the house...

Being tortured for years by rebels who keep you as a hostage.
I'd probably beg for death.

I think torture is the worst, hurting someone nearly to death over and over again.
After some time, they also mentally break and even become insane.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
death isn't bad... People are just afraid of death because they don't know what it is, because the are afraid of how they going to die and because they are just attached to life and the people living in it...

I would say suffering is worse dying... and some people think that life is just suffering..
but there are many ways to torter people like cutting the lids of someones eyes of so they can't close their eyes anymore of let water drop on someone head or something.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Becoming a living statue

Sure, being on these forums especially with some of the idiots that frequent here.

No seriously, being buried alive would be pretty bad as you'd survive a while before dying.

There's some examples here of a fate worse than death, I think having Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva is pretty bad too.

Being subjected to lifelong pain, like the centaur whose name I forgot. He was immortal, though, which makes it worse
I've heard of Prometheus who was a titan but I haven't heard of a centaur who was.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
Having a machete in the groin is certainly worse than death. But, seriously, as has been said before here, suffering is worse than death. I actually don't fear my own death at all. Whatsoever. What I do fear is the potential pain and suffering that may go along with it. I personally think that there is actually no reason to fear death and that any fear of death is actually fear of the unknown (just like a child fears the dark). What happens after death? Who is right, the pope or Richard Dawkins? This is why people fear death. But, yeah, similar to what that Brumhra guy said, I'd rather get into a car crash and die than survive but be paralyzed from the neck down.

Oh, how could I forget this disease?
Mostly, the people who have it die not long after birth, but the article says something about someone who survived for eighteen years.
I saw a newly born baby who had this on youtube. I usually would even be able to eat if someone was ripped into pieces right before my eyes (overstatement) but when I saw the face of that child, it gave me the chills. I couldn't look at it, it just made me sick.

I wouldn't even want to let my child live like that as a parent. Only for the child's sake.
(PS, do not search it on youtube if you don't have a strong stomac. Don't worry, the link is one to wikipedia.)

Last edited:

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Who wants to live forever?

R. New said:
It was Chiron. I just looked it up.
Oh yeah, forgot about Chiron.

Being immortal wouldn't be so bad if you could control how quickly your body ages and if you could choose to end your life at any time but if not then I'd hate to be immortal.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
-Living with your mother pass the age of 35;
-Being forced to listen to the Wonder Pets Theme Song over and over again;
-Identity Stolen, Foreclosure, and Bankrupcy (sp?)
-Anything else that involves terrible torture and suffering.

Yep.

pirate555

Word.
Yes, torture is a clear-cut thing for me.

But there's plenty worse than death, in my opinion. I think the trauma of my own dying would be much worse for me, than having those closest to me die before their time.

I would rather die than have someone else sacrifice themselves in my place, I couldn't live with the conscience.
Ironically at the same time, I would rather die myself in protecting another person, than live on with the knowledge that I could have saved them.

And if the world were a barren place, with nothing in it, or even if it were one giant urban sprawl, I wouldn't want to live through it.

I'm not sure how I'd cope with a memory-destroying illness such as dementia...I don't think I'd want to continue in such a state.

Looking up, I'm rather easy to persuade to give up my life. I love life, but I suppose life's taught me that there's a lot more in the world than my own person, so there's plenty I would either give life up for, or give life up without.

Pirate

alli940

I can see you
being tortured or if somebody would cut your [skadush]

or being really really ill.

George Orwell's book, 1984, shows a pretty good description of such lengthy and painful torture that victims grow unable to resist or think clearly, literally beating the sense out of someone. Probably torture, or being a POW to certain countries.

Brumrha

Banned
Good, good!

That's what I like to see, people who go above & beyond with links.

There's no doubt that having such rare diseases can qualify as something worse than death, especially if they have it without a clear diagnosis. Matter of fact, I did hear of some of those over in the Discovery Health channel.

Anyhow, I've just came up with another example: amputation of all of a person's limbs. Missing just one limb, especially an arm, is hard enough, but having to lose all of them means that you can't do a thing by yourself, thus making the said person have to rely on others. To be honest, however, I've never heard of an amputee without any limbs, & if I did, I'd eat my shorts.

-Living with your mother pass the age of 35;
I don't think it's that bad, especially if you two are interdependent of each other.
-Being forced to listen to the Wonder Pets Theme Song over and over again;
Psychological torture, nonetheless, which still works.
-Identity Stolen, Foreclosure, and Bankrupcy (sp?)
Now that would take the cake, as you'll then be in a real pickle if any of those happened. Also, it's "Bankruptcy" Piekid.
-Anything else that involves terrible torture and suffering.

Yep.

Read the bold statements, Piekid.

Being modded in Misc.

Explain why, please...

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
Most likely a predicted second mass extinction would be far worse than death. Considering there would be no one to live your legacy would be terrifiying because a texas sized meteor hits earth would be scary. Physical pain can be shrugged upon.

S31R31

The 90's
Aside from the above mentioned forms of torture, I find Kagerō's curse <from Flame of Recca> unbearable.

Nikacho

"Oh, HER again."
death isn't bad... People are just afraid of death because they don't know what it is, because the are afraid of how they going to die and because they are just attached to life and the people living in it...

I would say suffering is worse dying... and some people think that life is just suffering..
but there are many ways to torter people like cutting the lids of someones eyes of so they can't close their eyes anymore of let water drop on someone head or something.

Staring at this kids sig, that's what.

But ANYWAY, immortality is my guess. If you get stuck and you would normally die, you would just hurt for a f*cking long time.