• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A fate that's worse than death?

Northern Lights

[BritishSarcasm]
^ yes being immortal and watching everyone you love wither and die, knowing that you won't, and being there to see the sun explode and burn the planet to a crisp ... but even then you'd still be alive.

No, i was watching Event Horizon - many things in there that are worse than death, but one struck me; floating away in space, all alone, in a clautrophobic spacesuit, just waiting for you air to run out and you can have your lungs explode.

Or, having a load screaching scream going on in your head all the time, and in the end you try to gouge it out.

but that's just my two pense.

Estuary

єѕѕ-cнєw-єrry
One word: vivisection. Ye olde doctors were hardcore.

1. the action of cutting into or dissecting a living body.
2. the practice of subjecting living animals to cutting operations, esp. in order to advance physiological and pathological knowledge.

I had nightmares about it when I was little. D: To me, there's nothing more horrifying than a bunch of doctors standing calmly over you and observing your exposed organs, back when there was no anesthesia. Ghhh.

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
Actually having to watch High school Musical. I've never seen it, but... *shivers*

Narutopokedude

← currently hunting
My answer for this: sure, there exists such a thing, as I consider this: Euthanasia = mercy killing, or ending one's suffering through death. If there is no such thing as a fate worse than death, then chances are, this word won't even be in the dictionary.

Euthanasia is only used when the person or animal is going to die. If there is any chance that they can save the person's life then they will not euthanize them.

Also, a fate worst than death can be a matter of opinion. For example someone with an extreme phobia of spiders might rather die than be, say, dunked into a tank of venom-less spiders.

It all depends on the person and their fears I suppose.

Hive Mind

Is not a GIRL
Hey, anyone watch Batman Beyond? There was an episode where there was a ranch for trouble teens, who were being subjected to isolation treatment (codenamed ISO), which used complete sensory deprivation so the teens would submit, and caused people to become detached from the outside world, where an aspiring artist, after ISO, painted with no paint. However, it seems recoverable.

Penguinist Trainer

I'm not going to talk about mindless torture, because the mind can create many sufferings that people could say is worse than death.

Honestly, I think that a fate worse than death is being a vegetable. I think the most horrible fate in the world would be being trapped in a bed on life support with no way to contact or interact with the "outside" world.

Either that, or Alzheimer's Disease (not sure if spelled correctly). Can you imagine living your life with your memories slowly being deleted. Not remembering if you have kids, or your wife's smile or any other happy memories. That too I believe is a fate worse than death.

Well, torture can be worse than death depending on how bad it is, especially if it was something like the Saw movies where you have to torture yourself in order to escape death, only to die anyways. Also, I heard that breaking your Knee cap is the most painful single infliction that can happen to you, so I could imagine that happening may be worse than death... I'm sure that there is a combination of tortures that would make you want death more than anything in the world.

kirby8933083

mai husbando
I still think torture is much worse than death. Being conscious of what exactly is happening. Like water boarding where it simulates drowning, but out of water. *shivers* Much better having a quick death than having every second drag on.

Also just having an almost immobilizing fear to the point that it's the only thing you'll think/worry about. That's why it'd be simply terrible to know what you would die from rather than say, when you'll die.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Kneecap shots are pretty painful.....if you don't pass out from the shock

To all those that have said physical torture and the likes, please remember that some people have a high threshold to pain so they could possibly deal with some forms of torture and take the pain.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Of course, physical torture is said in the sense that is done in an isolated environment so that the subject is already in a psychologically weakened state of mind.

I took a paracetamol tablet in hospital towards the end of my stay there and choked on it; for about a minute or so I couldn't breathe and it was extraordinarily painful to cough because of the condition I had. When it finally went down it was lodged in my oesophagus for about half an hour.

Normally, I can handle choking on tablets or having painful chest conditions, but because it was combined with a long stint in hospital in which I was confined to a single bed in a room with very little human company or entertainment, I burst into tears because it was too much for me to handle.

Pyschological pain is in that sense stronger since it has the capacity to weaken the mind and the body.

~Magic Thunderbolt~

What is worse than death?

To lose your eyes, nose, mouth, arms, and legs. You would be alive and dead. You would be the first of the living to be one of the dead.

Eh, I read about it in Johnny Got His Gun.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
To me, there's nothing more horrifying than a bunch of doctors standing calmly over you and observing your exposed organs, back when there was no anesthesia.
No aneathesia? Well, I wouldn't be so sure. It actually depends on what part of the world you are talking about. If you're reffering to Europe, then sure, none whatsoever. But Asia (which was waaaaaaaaaaay ahead medicinally at the time) did have aneasthetic. It was a latex-type substance found in certain red and black flowers. This substance, now called opium, is still used in hospitals today, except its main active ingredient has been isolated and is now called morphine. YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!
But, yeah, I do agree. "Doctors" cutting your body open and peeking at your organs in terribly unsanitary conditions and you being fully aware of it would be... terrible, to say the least.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
To me, there's nothing more horrifying than a bunch of doctors standing calmly over you and observing your exposed organs, back when there was no anesthesia.
No aneathesia? Well, I wouldn't be so sure. It actually depends on what part of the world you are talking about. If you're reffering to Europe, then sure, none whatsoever. But Asia (which was waaaaaaaaaaay ahead medicinally at the time) did have aneasthetic. It was a latex-type substance found in certain red and black flowers. This substance, now called opium, is still used in hospitals today, except its main active ingredient has been isolated and is now called morphine. YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!
But, yeah, I do agree. "Doctors" cutting your body open and peeking at your organs in terribly unsanitary conditions and you being fully aware of it would be... terrible, to say the least.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post! Computer lagged, something weird happened, etc...

Cipher

Nothing to be done
I can't believe some people have said immortality would be worse than death. I suppose it depends on your personal philosphy, but I highly disagree.

The only thing I can think of that would be worse than death would be total sensory deprivation. To exist as a brain in a jar, with no new imput, trapped only with your memories. Freaks me right the hell out. I actually wrote a story about it in high school.

For example someone with an extreme phobia of spiders might rather die than be, say, dunked into a tank of venom-less spiders.
I have an extreme phobia of spiders, and I'd still rather endure this maddening experience than die.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
I'd think that knowing the exact place, time, date, and cause of your death could be worse than the death itself. You'd be immobilized by fear all the time, thinking "oh, crap! In 3 years and 78 days I will die!" or something like that.
Oh, also... seeing all your friends and family members die would surely be worse than death.
And what about this? Oh, the horror!