• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Fire Battle! Marowak Shows Up! (977)

STICKTOPIA

Great call, dude. It's great that we got to know the full moveset of Turtonator, too. And hopefully Marowak won't get shafted like Charjabug was after his capture.
you know I actually forgot all about Charjabug until you mentioned it? I hope they don't do it to marowak either but I feel like they will

Janovy

Banned
I don't want to spoil your mood, but it really isn't that cool that they skipped the Fire Trial. You need the three Trials to be able to be eligable to battle with Olivia. These last two episodes are really not about Ash doing the Trials, it's him helping out others doing the Trials, which should not give him access to battle Olivia, yet it will. They're throwing the source material out of the window, while baiting us with small bits (like the Hiker). It's like they honestly don't know what to do: Follow the games, or not, use game material, or not? And what we get is this mixed bag that in my opinion falls short and/or doesn't make sense.
The anime has always done that. Using some game bits while adapting them to the anime to create an original story.

Why is this coming as a surprise to you?

dman_dustin

The anime has always done that. Using some game bits while adapting them to the anime to create an original story.

Why is this coming as a surprise to you?

Really?

Because every previous generation that I'm aware of, Ash has always "battled" 8 gyms and got 8 badges.

What series did Ash not get 8 badges, and the anime took creative liberties.

No,no, I mean sure Ash didn't quite battle in Kanto, but he still got 8 badges, try again.

Janovy

Banned
Really?

Because every previous generation that I'm aware of, Ash has always "battled" 8 gyms and got 8 badges.

What series did Ash not get 8 badges, and the anime took creative liberties.

No,no, I mean sure Ash didn't quite battle in Kanto, but he still got 8 badges, try again.
Totem Pokemon are not gyms, Kahunas are the gyms of this generation.

And from what I can tell, Ash is battling them all in order.

The Totem Pokemon are an unknown element first introduced in this generation so it's only natural the writers will be doing their own thing with them.

Xuxuba

Orange Islands?

Orange islands weren't based off games, so there was no source material to begin with. It was just a filler arc much like Decolora Islands, except with actual plot.

And technically "Battle Frontier" Saga as well, since he didn't get Badges in it, he got Symbols instead :p.
He still got the 8 badges, the BF was just a sidequest that lasted a lot of time, because Game Freak was taking too long to release the new generation. If we are talking about the anime changing the game's main quest, then this doesn't really apply here.

Totem Pokemon are not gyms, Kahunas are the gyms of this generation.

And from what I can tell, Ash is battling them all in order.

The Totem Pokemon are an unknown element first introduced in this generation so it's only natural the writers will be doing their own thing with them.

Totems, kahunas and the island challenges are all part of the same thing that replaced gyms.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This episode played out pretty much as I expected it would--Kiawe chased after Alolan Marowak to retrieve the Wela Crown, battled it and lost, trained with Ash, and then challenged Alolan Marowak to a rematch and won, after which Alolan Marowak decided it wanted Kiawe as its Trainer--but it was still a great episode. I enjoyed the deeper insight into Kiawe's character and the revisit to his desire to get stronger. The flashbacks to his grandfather were nice.

I also really enjoyed Ash and Kiawe's battle. Ash did a good job of taking advantage of Pikachu's speed, which in turn helped Kiawe and Turtonator come up with ways to counter that speed (which was probably the entire point of the battle). On top of that, Turtonator learned a new move.

I appreciated how this episode showed, once again, that Z-Moves are not OHKO moves or necessarily keys to winning battles even when a main character is using them. Marowak easily dodged Turtonator's Inferno Overdrive in the first battle; and in the second battle, Kiawe and Turtonator had to wear down Marowak first and then correctly time their Z-Move to win.

The Hiker Davids photobombing all the group photos at the end was absolutely hilarious and a great, humorous way to end the episode. We even got to see Turtonator wear the Wela Crown. It didn't look quite as stupid as I thought it would, though. :p

Also, bonus points for making that Alolan Marowak have a fondness for dancing. Nice reference to the games. :)

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Totems, kahunas and the island challenges are all part of the same thing that replaced gyms.

But considering how they are portraying the SM Saga, its obvious that the writers are taking a lot of creative liberty (which technically isn't against the rules either).

And its not like they are really going to skip all the Totem battles (maybe we would see Salazzle as the guardian for the "Poisonium Z"?, which James ends up doing).

Also, it might be that the writers are making the challenge criteria different from one Kahuna to another, like on how they set up their challenges.

Maybe, Olivia's aim here is to see how helpful was Ash to others (like how Hala checked if Ash was eligible to find a solution and then convince the Totem Pokemon to help out with the A-Rattata & A-Raticate problem).

Xuxuba

But considering how they are portraying the SM Saga, its obvious that the writers are taking a lot of creative liberty (which technically isn't against the rules either).

And its not like they are really going to skip all the Totem battles (maybe we would see Salazzle as the guardian for the "Poisonium Z"?, which James ends up doing).

Also, it might be that the writers are making the challenge criteria different from one Kahuna to another, like on how they set up their challenges.

Maybe, Olivia's aim here is to see how helpful was Ash to others (like how Hala checked if Ash was eligible to find a solution and then convince the Totem Pokemon to help out with the A-Rattata & A-Raticate problem).

Not saying they aren't allowed, some people might even prefer the anime's main quest over the game's.

I personally don't, because it is way shorter and that means we will have less episodes with Ash dealing with his main quest than we would've if he had to complete all the trials, beat all the totems and defeat all the kahunas.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Isn't everyone a bit premature here? Maybe we'll get a fire trial later on. We haven't even Salazzle in the anime yet. Would be quite weird pacing to do multiple trials right after each other. Just because they went to the Volcano doesn't mean they won't come back later for a Totem battle or something.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Isn't everyone a bit premature here? Maybe we'll get a fire trial later on. We haven't even Salazzle in the anime yet. Would be quite weird pacing to do multiple trials right after each other. Just because they went to the Volcano doesn't mean they won't come back later for a Totem battle or something.
This is exactly what I have been saying/thinking, as well. This episode was not the Wela Volcano Trial, and we haven't seen Salazzle in the anime yet. It's possible that Ash will return to Wela Volcano later and take on the Wela Volcano Trial. That's what I expect to happen, actually.

Last edited:

Xuxuba

This is exactly what I have been saying/thinking, as well. This episode was not the Wela Volcano Trial, and we haven't seen Salazzle in the anime yet. It's possible that Ash will return to Wela Volcano later and take on the Wela Volcano Trial. Just because Ash is battling Olivia in two episodes does not mean he is done with the Akala Island Trials.

That doesn't make much sense. Why would he face the fire trial after the grand trial? They are called Grand trials for a reason and the entire point of the other trials is to test whether the person is competent enough to face the kahuna.

Janovy

Banned
That doesn't make much sense. Why would he face the fire trial after the grand trial? They are called Grand trials for a reason and the entire point of the other trials is to test whether the person is competent enough to face the kahuna.
Here's a thought.

Ash fights Olivia. Loses to Olivia. In order to rechallenge her, he has to defeat another totem. Enter Totem Salazzle. Ash finally gets Firium-Z, the entire fandom shuts the hell up.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

It seems the anime is doing things a little differently when it comes to Trials and Grand Trials. Perhaps they are doing things differently because there are no Trial Captains to conduct the Trials. (Hala may have conducted the Verdant Cave Trial, but no one conducted the Brooklet Hill Trial and it doesn't seem like anyone is conducting the Lush Jungle Trial.)

It's possible Ash is battling Olivia prematurely. Olivia may even be aware of that, for all we know, but decides to accept Ash's challenge in order to show him that he and his Pokémon (more so his Pokémon) are/were not ready to face her. If he loses to her (which I suspect he will), he may end up coming across Totem Salazzle while he and his Pokémon are training for the rematch.

Joltik-Kid

Simply Fantastic ಠ_ಠ
With this episode, Ash, Lillie, and Lana are the only trainers without evolved Pokemon... that's a little surprising

Xuxuba

Here's a thought.

Ash fights Olivia. Loses to Olivia. In order to rechallenge her, he has to defeat another totem. Enter Totem Salazzle. Ash finally gets Firium-Z, the entire fandom shuts the hell up.

It seems the anime is doing things a little differently when it comes to Trials and Grand Trials. Perhaps they are doing things differently because there are no Trial Captains to conduct the Trials. (Hala may have conducted the Verdant Cave Trial, but no one conducted the Brooklet Hill Trial and it doesn't seem like anyone is conducting the Lush Jungle Trial.)

It's possible Ash is battling Olivia prematurely. Olivia may even be aware of that, for all we know, but decides to accept Ash's challenge in order to show him that he and his Pokémon (more so his Pokémon) are/were not ready to face her. If he loses to her (which I suspect he will), he may end up coming across Totem Salazzle while he and his Pokémon are training for the rematch.

That still doesn't make much sense to me though. Why would they choose to portray only the fire trial and not the others? Why then they replaced every other episode that would've been a Akala island trial with an episode focused on that trial's captain, but after Ash losing to Olivia, they thought it would be a good idea to portray only one of them on the anime?

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
That still doesn't make much sense to me though. Why would they choose to portray only the fire trial and not the others? Why then they replaced every other episode that would've been a Akala island trial with an episode focused on that trial's captain, but after Ash losing to Olivia, they thought it would be a good idea to portray only one of them on the anime?
I'm not sure what you are saying here. The writers didn't replace any of the other trials. We saw the Brooklet Hill Trial in SM33 (Lana may have been the one to complete it instead of Ash, but we still saw it), and we are going to see the Lush Jungle Trial (which it seems Ash is going to complete) in SM35. After SM35, we will have seen all of the Akala Island Trials except for the Wela Volcano Trial. Since the Trials are akin to Gyms in SM, I still believe we are going to see the Wela Volcano Trial and Totem Salazzle at some point. As of right now, it seems that is going to be after Olivia's Grand Trial in SM36.